Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only thing I remember from Skyrim is Blackreach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ularg posted:

I don't remember 2033 having multiple stealth levels. I think what did it more for me is having a non-lethal knockout option. Seems cheap to be able to just systematically knock everyone out then make whatever noise you want.

Did you play redux or the original? I heard redux changed the gameplay to basically be just like last light in most ways. In the original 2033 your watch had 3 light colors on it, with the best stealth level (no light) requiring the stealth suit.

But yes, the addition of the silent knockout made a huge difference too since previously you'd have to use a silent weapon like the pneumatic gun to do it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And it still made a degree of noise. Stealth was super hard in 2033

Redux 2033 felt way easier.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Of course you want it be a challenge otherwise you are just wasting time doing tedious bullshit

In a stealth game, figuring out the correct way to use available stealth elements an abilities to achieve your goal is basically the core gameplay. In primarily 3rd person shooter open world hunting game, I don't want much more from stealth than using stealth elements to either approach targets and execute them, or avoid them. Because if it was more complicated than that, stealth would take significantly longer than just running and gunning. The tradeoff in the current system is that spend more time moving, because you move slower, but you spend less time fighting, because you either avoid enemies, or execute them. Complicating the process of how to apply stealth in HZD would not improve the game.

The fact that a stealth gaming enthusiast is able to identify what stealth path to take in 10 seconds is a pro, and not a con. Because this is not a stealth game. If it was, it would be a con.

Stealth isn't supposed to be the "elite" option here, where "if you can figure out how to use all the stealth features, you can stealth instead of fighting". It's just a straight up option for all skill levels: crouch in bushes or sprint in the open.

That's just how I feel.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I hope my horizon Meta Strats of buying all the stuff on the right side of the skill list first will not come back to bite me later

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Digirat posted:

I hope my horizon Meta Strats of buying all the stuff on the right side of the skill list first will not come back to bite me later
You'll want the bow skills in the middle but the left is the stealth/human combat stuff that I didn't bother with beyond a layer or two until I needed to unlock every skill for the plat

(get the plat it's easy and you get a rad theme)

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Sometimes but also this thread's loudest posters have niche taste.

Says the dude that championed for honor for weeks :allears:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
...For Honor is not niche.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Isn't For Honor dead, though?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ularg posted:

Isn't For Honor dead, though?

:rolleyes: no

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Snak posted:

For Honor is pretty niche, like a slightly more popular chilvary.

Well in its prime

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, it topped sales charts in the US and it outsold Nier Automata, which someone recently claimed was not niche. It had memes on the front page of reddit for like a month.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So the Crash remake trilogy added Coco as a playable character.

The usual suspects are mad about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean in general niche is kind of meaningless but For Honor is not a well known game despite how many play it. It definitely doesn't have the staying power of a COD or Nier.

Though that is because there isn't a lot to talk about in For Honor.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean in general niche is kind of meaningless but For Honor is not a well known game despite how many play it.

What does that mean? Tons of people know For Honor exist just because of marketing. It takes me forever to find someone who knows what a Guilty Gear or Persona is without stepping into an anime convention.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The playerbase has dropped off pretty significantly.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/for-honor/for-honor-player-count

95 % of its audience jettisoning itself this early is kind of a bad sign.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't see many people who know about For Honor if we are using useless personal anecdotes for some reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

THERE ARE NO PLAYSTATION GAMES THAT ARE NICHE. THEY ALL SELL A BILLION COPIES

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

The playerbase has dropped off pretty significantly.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/for-honor/for-honor-player-count

95 % of its audience jettisoning itself this early is kind of a bad sign.

Wow that's really bad, Chilvary might be doing better.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Snak posted:

Tons of people out there clamoring for the knights vs samurai technical fighter with an unfamiliar control scheme. You know it's the case because it's so imitated.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it honestly wouldnt really surprise me if 5% of the initial for honor playerbase is larger than the all time peak chivalry playerbase

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I was being facetious when I called For Honor niche but Nier Automata is about as niche as videogames get what the Christ.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Macarius Wrench posted:

I was being facetious when I called For Honor niche but Nier Automata is about as niche as videogames get what the Christ.

For Honor is more niche than Nier, Jesus Christ.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Let's discuss which games that pushed millions of copies are and aren't niche for more pages

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ryoga posted:

I still have no idea how people get sick/dizzy from playing in vr. Like I know the science and have seen people get physically ill, but I have never experienced motion sickness myself. All these years of video games and ocean diving have prepared me well I guess.

One of the complaints about Descent was that it gave people vertigo or motion sickness. In 1995 on a CRT monitor.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Motto posted:

Let's discuss which games that pushed millions of copies are and aren't niche for more pages

It's the games I don't like.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
We all clearly have different definitions of what constitutes niche, because I wasn't talkijg about the genre, which probably is.

And I also don't consider player falloff to really matter. If it sold well and obtained mainstream popularity and media saturation at launch, it's not niche.

A lovely game that burned out isn't the same thing as a niche game.

The fact that people we're asking for a vikings versus knights versus samurai game doesn't mean it didn't appeal to a bunch of people, who said "that looks awesome" and bought it.

So what if it turned out not to be awesome, it sold more copies than any other other video game in the US, across all platforms, digital and physical, in February.

How can you say that something​ that outsold every other game, only appeals to a small number of people?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It didn't sell more than every other game so you got me.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's the games I don't like.

I don't like/never played For Honor though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's not exactly niche but it's not super popular either. Niche games can have more staying power than big ones, which is what is described as a cult following. Big general audience games can end up failing just because they suck. Remember Evolve? Everyone remembers it but only because it was marketed to a ridiculous extent while having a comically tiny player base. See also Battleborn.

I would say For Honor was a somewhat niche game concept like Chivalry but the devs tried to bring it mainstream with middling results.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Star Man posted:

One of the complaints about Descent was that it gave people vertigo or motion sickness. In 1995 on a CRT monitor.

Once again I had no problem with descent and that was honestly my very first home PC game I ever had.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

Definitions of niche aside this is quite a wrong statement.

Edit: that's not the best way to word things but yeah For Honor had massive sales and a big marketing push, 2 things I wouldn't associate with niche.

Macarius Wrench fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 15, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlestheHammer posted:

lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons, Big W's apparently undercutting everyone on the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy with a price of only $39AU.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Current banner on Amazon.co.uk

:effort:

The worst thing about this dumb niche argument is the fact that most of you probably pronounce it with a hard "ch"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nicky?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Every game is a stealth game because I just avoid enemies all the time.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Nitch instead of neesh. Just a dumb personal thing.

On an Amazon related note .co.uk has the official wireless headphones for £20 at the moment. Which is good because my old pair died and I've been waiting for a discount.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Look at all those niche titles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nier is a real nietzsche game