Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Park it in the wrong side of town?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

Obviously all opinion, but yes. There are multiple for my s2000 that I like but anything that actually makes power is some giant single exit that usually sounds pretty lovely and drones like a mother fucker. Still better than any exhausts I've heard on any of VW's turbo 4's. I'm just not a fan of the noises they make at all.
gently caress, almost none of the exhausts make power over stock and a lot of the headers lose power over stock. But agree, poo poo is way too fuckin loud if its not poo poo. I want a Berk but.... I like my ears.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Christobevii3 posted:

Park it in the wrong side of town?

I'm sure they'd love a $50k GTI. Only a few blocks east of me too!

BlackMK4 posted:

gently caress, almost none of the exhausts make power over stock and a lot of the headers lose power over stock. But agree, poo poo is way too fuckin loud if its not poo poo. I want a Berk but.... I like my ears.

Yup, anything that sounds good is at best breaking even on power. It's kind of amazing that the engine is at a point where bolt-ons don't do poo poo but can still last for 200k+ miles. Glory days Honda :allears:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Comedy option: back it down the boat ramp a smidge too far

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Comedy option: back it down the boat ramp a smidge too far

With his luck they'd want to repair it :P

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
My GTI has 225/40R18s on all 4 corners.

If I get new wheels and 245/40R18s would that create a significant problem in some way? According to internet tire size comparison calculators it will be 2.4% larger diameter, which translates to doing 92 mph when the speedo says 90.

That seems fairly minor, but I'm wondering if there is something else I'm not considering.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
You should be fine as long as you aren't super low. Whats the offset on the wheel.
I run 235/35/19 and 235/45/17 with no issues, but I'm at stock ride height.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

You should be fine as long as you aren't super low. Whats the offset on the wheel.
I run 235/35/19 and 235/45/17 with no issues, but I'm at stock ride height.

I'm also at stock ride height.

Basically Pilot Sport 4S tire smallest size is 245/40R18 and if I got a 18x8.5" wheel could probably run that tire?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

tijag posted:

Basically Pilot Sport 4S tire smallest size is 245/40R18 and if I got a 18x8.5" wheel could probably run that tire?

They'll eventually get them in more sizes. I'm waiting on summer tires myself because those aren't out in stock sizes and pretty much anything else I'd want is on backorder. The new Firestone Indy whatevers look mighty appealing for the price they are as a summer tire for a DD.

veedubfreak posted:

With his luck they'd want to repair it :P

It's just a little water damage, we're good to go!

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Got my GTI back from the shop yesterday after a run in with a local deer. Feels good, it was in there forever. Driving it to Florida from KY in 3 weeks. It will be its first long drive under my command (it's got 40k miles). Anything I need to keep in mind for the trip?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Candlelight Virgil posted:

Got my GTI back from the shop yesterday after a run in with a local deer. Feels good, it was in there forever. Driving it to Florida from KY in 3 weeks. It will be its first long drive under my command (it's got 40k miles). Anything I need to keep in mind for the trip?

Don't run out of gas.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

tijag posted:

Be careful with Pilots though, I'm told they run wider than other tires of the same "size".

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Be careful with Pilots though, I'm told they run wider than other tires of the same "size".

It varies based on different sizes. On my S2000 the rears of the same size are considerably narrower than stock while the fronts are the same size or slightly wider with Pilot Super Sports.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I recently finally put my Continental 5p that came with the car on after using up about 90% if my DWS. They're almost an inch wider than the DWS.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
tire rack has a measurement chart which will indicate the width in inches mounted on a wheel of X width

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Anyone running the Firestone Indy 500s? The ones that look similar to Potenza RE-11s?

I just went to the local Firestone shop planning to go full retard and put a set of RE-71s on my FiST, since I had a good experience with RE-01Rs on my E46 and figured these are just two generations beyond. According to the manager at the shop (whose daily is a track-prepped Camaro ZL1 on RE-71s) the compound changed significantly between RE-11 and RE-71 and it doesn't last. I don't expect an OEM-grade life out of my summer tires but I'd like to have two seasons not be out of the question. Obviously he has a lot more power to play with but his tires were visibly beat looking with only 1000ish miles on them.

He strongly recommended the Indy 500s as being a lot more streetable while not really giving up much outside of track environments. They're apparently the Potenza RE003 in other countries, but are sold here under the Firestone brand for reasons.

I normally wouldn't put much stock in to the recommendations of chain tire shop employees, but when the guy has the exact tire I wanted on his personal car, has that tire in my size in stock, and then recommends me a tire that's 60% of the price that he'd have to order in I can't see how that could be for any reason other than legitimate helpfulness.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yup, I ran them on my 2005 BMW 330i ZHP across 5.5hr of on-track time and 10k street miles. I've also run the RE71R and Nexen SUR4 on my 2003 S2000, including track time.

The Indy 500 is a really great street tire that can handle track time, do well for lapping if you respect them (back off when they start to get greasy, they will come back in after a lap or so), and have a really great price.

The RE71R is a cheater tire that heatcycles out and doesn't last very long. You can get really close performance wise with the Nexen for less money and more life.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 16, 2017

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Indy 500 is a great summer tire for the price. I was going to get them but went with the cooper all seasons since I might have been moving where I'd need a more compatible tread.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Candlelight Virgil posted:

Beware of out of state deer as well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BlackMK4 posted:

Yup, I ran them on my 2005 BMW 330i ZHP across 5.5hr of on-track time and 10k street miles. I've also run the RE71R and Nexen SUR4 on my 2003 S2000, including track time.

The Indy 500 is a really great street tire that can handle track time, do well for lapping if you respect them (back off when they start to get greasy, they will come back in after a lap or so), and have a really great price.

The RE71R is a cheater tire that heatcycles out and doesn't last very long. You can get really close performance wise with the Nexen for less money and more life.
Good to know, and that agrees with what the tire guy was saying, that it's not hard to heatcycle the tire to death before the tread's even close.

How's tramlining? In my 325i on the RE01Rs there were a few places on the local highways where the car would gladly change lanes if you let it to follow a cut in the pavement where the road was widened.

Christobevii3 posted:

Indy 500 is a great summer tire for the price. I was going to get them but went with the cooper all seasons since I might have been moving where I'd need a more compatible tread.
I have a set of winter tires on dedicated wheels so fortunately I can basically go as crazy as I feel like with my summer tires. Heavy rain is the worst weather they'll see under normal circumstances (though I did once get caught in a late April snow/ice storm with the RE-01Rs which was an interesting experience).

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was looking at the Indy 500's too. Sound like they'd be great for me if I can find them anywhere. Might start seriously looking this upcoming weekend.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Relevant.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20140&highlight=firestone+500

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I wonder how they compare to Sumitomo HTR Z III's, the other super cheap but pretty grippy tire. The III's are slightly cheaper in my size and are a "max performance" (higher performance category) than the firestones. I liked the III's I had before but I never tracked that car with them.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Not sure if they are the same but these look exactly like the Bridgestone RE003s that I run and they are a very capable tire. excellent grip in the wet.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
They are rebadged RE003s. I have a set in my garage waiting for my wheels to arrive. In 205/50/16 fiesta size, they were $320 a set after rebate, including shipping.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Sumitomo HTR Z III are way worse

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Welp, between all the responses and the Tire Rack reviews it sounds like this is a good call.

I still have the devil on my shoulder saying I should still get the insane tires because I like overkill, but seeing as that in 37000 miles my car's never touched a track I could probably spend the money better elsewhere.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I'm going to run my temp tags until I get pulled over because the toll road can't bill temp tags. This will save me approximately $200 a month.

Really late, but interesting -- where? I had a FL temp tag and EZ Pass up here in Mass billed me for it just fine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Really late, but interesting -- where? I had a FL temp tag and EZ Pass up here in Mass billed me for it just fine.

Texas. You'd think they'd figure it out but everyone I know with a new car does it and nobody has ever got billed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wolrah posted:

How's tramlining? In my 325i on the RE01Rs there were a few places on the local highways where the car would gladly change lanes if you let it to follow a cut in the pavement where the road was widened.

Oh man, you're opening a can of worms there. BMWs always tramline.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ahhh when I first got my ST (wider tires than anything else I'd driven up to that point) I learned all about the joys of tramlining

The roads around me are rutted to poo poo and annoyingly the ruts tend to be preeeetttty close to the center line...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Only time I've ever run into tramlining is on my Continental Winter Extremes. Which seem to have had a short run. They were also super soft directional winters. Never had any issues with asymetrics.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BlackMK4 posted:

Oh man, you're opening a can of worms there. BMWs always tramline.

Haha yea, even on Blizzaks mine loved to grab ruts, but the Potenzas were a different level. That straight bar in the tread can't help that at all.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I usually don't like to double post but editing a day old post for something that's not a correction or expansion on it seems wrong too.

Anyways, I got the Indy 500s installed today and so far I'm pleased. I haven't really had a chance to push them other than a few launches but they feel good. I don't have any objective measurements but they seem to be less noisy on the road and possibly even more comfortable (though the extra sidewall is likely more of a factor there than anything else)

They are definitely more vocal than the RE050s. Those made a quiet skidding noise when pushed beyond their limits, these things howl.

I noticed when I launched too hard and spun 'em that I wasn't getting the wheelhop I usually get and I'm not really sure what to think of that. Does that mean these are grabbing less than the old ones, or just that the blockier tread of the RE050s grabs in a weird way while spinning and the lovely stock motor mount amplifies it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Might have a softer sidewall so they'd be less prone to wheelhop. I'm a fan of vocal tires... you can hear them through a helmet :v:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I only have a year left on current lease. Gonna get me a used fiesta st so sooooooooooon. :woop:

My Fit was great for learning stick and just being the model of practicality but I'm ready for some more fun.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RS 5000 mile update: still rules.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

xsf421 posted:

RS 5000 mile update: still rules.

Just rolled over 2000 on mine, can confirm.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thirded. 3k here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Can't help but wonder if I could get an '18 LE without the dealer rape add-on charge. Considering there are still lots of '16 and '17s sitting on lots around here. The last nitrous blue 17 I looked at last week still had $5k dealer adjustment on the window.