Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Rick posted:

If y ou pretend that Brooklyn is going to get Capri Sun and orange slices after the game regardless, and a pizza party if they win, it makes watching them a lot more fun.

(jeremy lin and kill P bang their fists on the table)

PIZ-ZA PIZ-ZA PIZ-ZA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Rick posted:

If y ou pretend that Brooklyn is going to get Capri Sun and orange slices after the game regardless, and a pizza party if they win, it makes watching them a lot more fun.

Teams should have to line up and high five each other after every game

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I love when the Raps play the Nets. For the first quarter I'm like "lol this is not a professional team." In the second I'm thinking "seriously, have these players never met each other before." In the 3rd tho I change to "holy poo poo the Raps are the worst". How did they let this team back in the game. And in the 4th I'm like "we won easily why did I expend so much emotional energy poo poo posting about Dwane Casey." Good times :cool:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

OzFactor posted:

The NBA is incredibly entertaining and there is at least one reason to watch every single team, every single night. Except the Magic. But, like, the Magic are going to be playing an interesting team every night! So even the Magic.

Aaron Gordon does cool dunks sometimes. He still plays for Orlando, right?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

ex post facho posted:

that pistons team was so fun to watch, Rip Hamilton was so loving good at those elbow curls

carlos delfino was kindred spirits with eddie najera

AI was the true PG we needed~

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

E2M2 posted:

I guess Lebron finally shaved his head huh

Not all the way. He has it Doc Rivers style now

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://streamable.com/xfntm

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/874666649667895303

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Am I the only one that enjoys that the best team is by far the most likely to win unless they have their superstar injured in which case the second best team is by far the most likely to win?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
LeBron shaved his head idk

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ah I was late

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dejan Bimble posted:

How good were Rik Smits and Zyldraunus Ilgauskus, I remember them both being way too good in a way that seemed unfair, because they were tall and made jumpshots during my chyldhode

I can tell you that Rik Smits/Reggie Miller was my NBA Jam team because I was 'that kid'.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

attackmole posted:

I can tell you that Rik Smits/Reggie Miller was my NBA Jam team because I was 'that kid'.

Hakeem Olajuwon/Kenny "The Jet" Smith ftw

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ammanas posted:

Reduce the number of NBA teams while increasing D-league teams. This improves both the quality of pro play, increases the development of players, and gives more stratas of income an opportunity to see basketball.

I agree with this. Lot of cities can't support an NBA team. Too many poo poo teams and poo poo players.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
All that hair on LeBron was slowing him down now it's just whoosh wind flows right off him

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
in the future all humans will be hairless

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Lockback posted:

The Warriors would absolutely have been on that list 5 years ago. No way you would have included OKC as early as last year. You don't list the Clippers on there because of the recency bias. This list would be way different every year, which means it makes sense to have more teams to go through these cycles.

Plus, if you had less teams, you'd have less opportunities for guys to develop and end up with less talent.

Fewer. Less is for things you can't count like air or water, fewer for things you can count like teams or opportunities.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

BWV posted:

less teams=less players=less games=less dunks

These are all countable things. At least the other post had "talent" which is uncountable, you are terrible and it's no wonder the Raptors can't compete.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Contracting the league would only make it better because there would be less bad GMs and bad coaches in the league

Parity can be achieved by GMs randomly getting assigned to different teams

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

TildeATH posted:

Fewer. Less is for things you can't count like air or water, fewer for things you can count like teams or opportunities.

get hosed, nerd

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/JRAM_91/status/875438694357803008

😬

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Noctone posted:

get hosed, nerd

You're never going to get lightyears ahead with an attitude like that.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Contracting the league would only make it better because there would be less bad GMs and bad coaches in the league

Parity can be achieved by GMs randomly getting assigned to different teams

It's not about parity, it's also about level of play. Basketball played at it's highest level is incredibly fun to watch.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Watching the Kings play the Magic in February when you've had a few beers is also incredibly fun

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
KEvin Durant: too much of a coward for budlights or a challenge
See meta I always told you you guys were led by the lamer of the league

P.s. lol at Steve Kerr waffling and mumbling about his respect for the INSTITUTION of the White House and our fiiiiiiiine ol government

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I dont even know what the Kings starters look like any more

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Basically if your city has to fund an arena with tax dollars, it probably shouldn't have an NBA team.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/R_Dollaz/status/875396635844423680

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Niwrad posted:

Basically if your city has to fund an arena with tax dollars, it probably shouldn't have an NBA team.

so no city should have any professional sports teams? hell im fine with having them represent and play in nato allied countries but kanter might have a problem with it

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Spite posted:

What happens when Orlando plays Brooklyn?

You can root for cool people who work hard and have fun! https://www.theplayerstribune.com/sean-kilpatrick-the-lox-a-yonkers-tale/

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
He gone

https://twitter.com/ByNateTaylor/status/875475228981415936

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

so no city should have any professional sports teams? hell im fine with having them represent and play in nato allied countries but kanter might have a problem with it

Plenty of owners have paid for their own stadiums. Usually they are in cities that can support NBA teams through ups and downs.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Out of the long list of unbelievably irritating things to come out of reddit...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bashez posted:

Am I the only one that enjoys that the best team is by far the most likely to win unless they have their superstar injured in which case the second best team is by far the most likely to win?

No I quite like that unlike in the NFL, the team that wins is never an also ran who got a couple lucky bounces or went on a hot streak at the right time

OzFactor posted:

The NBA is incredibly entertaining and there is at least one reason to watch every single team, every single night. Except the Magic. But, like, the Magic are going to be playing an interesting team every night! So even the Magic.

This kind of racist prejudice against white nba stars Aaron Gordon and Mario Hezonja will not stand

WhyteRyce posted:

Watching the Kings play the Magic in February when you've had a few beers is also incredibly fun

Basically every team in the NBA at this point plays good basketball. There are usually only a handful of unpleasant teams year to year and they change pretty rapidly as coaches turn over

Niwrad posted:

All this means is "if your fans care enough that losing the team means your elected officials lose their job, you shouldn't have a team". Owners have the cities over a barrel it's not about how much money they do or don't make

When team values were in the tank a decade ago, some city should have pursued the NBA's undeclared monopoly exemption to extort them into allowing the cities to buy their teams.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

All this means is "if your fans care enough that losing the team means your elected officials lose their job, you shouldn't have a team". Owners have the cities over a barrel it's not about how much money they do or don't make

Owners don't have major cities over a barrel. Dolan can threaten to move the Knicks all he wants but he's not going to follow through.

Chicago eventually learned this after they moronically voted to pay for the White Sox stadium when Reinsdorf threatened to move them to Tampa. When the Cubs threatened to move a few years back the city laughed in their face.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Niwrad posted:

Owners don't have major cities over a barrel. Dolan can threaten to move the Knicks all he wants but he's not going to follow through.

Chicago eventually learned this after they moronically voted to pay for the White Sox stadium when Reinsdorf threatened to move them to Tampa. When the Cubs threatened to move a few years back the city laughed in their face.

Yes but there are exactly 3 of these cities now that the league has strategically emptied out Seattle. Realistically there were only ever 3 cities big enough to have that advantage

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ammanas posted:

Reduce the number of NBA teams while increasing D-league teams. This improves both the quality of pro play, increases the development of players, and gives more stratas of income an opportunity to see basketball.

Half of the teams of ex post facho's list could be development-level teams already. Stop wasting taxpayer money on stadiums for lovely teams (looking directly at the Sacramento Kings) too.

Really? I think the NBA could add 5 or 6 more teams . The talent level is insane right now.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

attackmole posted:

MY MAN!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Noooooooooooooo!!! God drat you, Metapod!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Yes but there are exactly 3 of these cities now that the league has strategically emptied out Seattle. Realistically there were only ever 3 cities big enough to have that advantage

I think it's way more than that. Seattle should have a team. But after that, what other city would an owner really want to move their team to? Kansas City?

LA, New York, Chicago, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Miami, Boston, Philly, Denver, Washington, Toronto, San Fran (Golden State), Phoenix, and Portland all seem safe from any threats to move. That's 17 teams if you have 2 in LA and NY.

• Locked thread