Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

Rectus posted:

Nope. Hopefully they'll add some customization options.

Fun fact, they have a YouTube player panel in the game files, so it seems they're at least working on adding more interactive stuff.

Thanks, hopefully that gets added soon as the Home is really neat.

Or the objects you can place that launch games like another poster mentioned, some pedestals with orbs/items on top, poster of the game on the wall behind it. drag them to your head to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

I think these massive open world games are going to be great for VR. The vast majority of VR games so far have been developed by small studios that just don't have the manpower to produce a game world with anywhere close to this level of asset quality/density/quantity. We finally have fully fleshed out interactive worlds to immerse ourselves in that aren't half finished tech demos.

Exactly. There are way more good games for VR than it gets credit for, but unfortunately most of them can be exhausted in an afternoon (and are over priced as hell) we really need some games that feel substantial, and developers that have the means to do that aren't willing to put the money into making games like that exclusive to VR. So, ports are really good for VR right now.

Lemming posted:

Ehhhhhhh a little yeah, but mostly I'm tempering my expectations because it's not going to be fundamentally different and while I had fun with Fallout 4 it was just fine

I've never played Skyrim but I also just played Breath of the Wild so the VR is going to have to be real, real good

I dunno. To me at least VR is different enough that it refreshes the appeal. I like Bethesda games though.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Fooz posted:

Skyrim was awesome. Will be great in VR if the agedness isn't unbearable.

Really the only thing holding it back will be optimization, as any shortcomings in the assets it ships with are going to be addressed pretty much right at launch -- Skyrim and Fallout 4 have stupidly productive modding communities with a huge backlog of texture packs. Anything that just replaces assets will most likely be compatible with minimal effort. Not sure if ENB plays well with VR, but if it does that solves a lot of problems out the gate too.

If nothing else, I hope this motivates the SKSE team to hurry the gently caress up already with getting poo poo over to SE. :negative:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Really the only thing holding it back will be optimization, as any shortcomings in the assets it ships with are going to be addressed pretty much right at launch -- Skyrim and Fallout 4 have stupidly productive modding communities with a huge backlog of texture packs. Anything that just replaces assets will most likely be compatible with minimal effort. Not sure if ENB plays well with VR, but if it does that solves a lot of problems out the gate too.

If nothing else, I hope this motivates the SKSE team to hurry the gently caress up already with getting poo poo over to SE. :negative:

There's someone in the Fallout 4 modding thread who's solving the massive frame rate drop you get in the Boston downtown ruins. and yes, SKSE for the Special edition would be nice to have.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

homeless snail posted:

People are super VR hostile right now for some reason, you just gotta bite your tongue and wait until they actually try VR instead of just talking poo poo about it and changing their mind. In a couple of years everyone will own a VR headset by way of their phone, anyway.

Seriously what a bunch of loving assholes. They can't have VR so nobody else should be able to enjoy VR either.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

iceaim posted:

Seriously what a bunch of loving assholes. They can't have VR so nobody else should be able to enjoy VR either.

Yeah but it isn't like their opinions matter. They are the old people going "Social media???? Back in my day our media came on paper and we liked it!" and just like them they will be ignored. And once they try it they will always go "woah ok yeah this owns"

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

It used to be "Wow cool! Are there any real games though?" "No sorry..."

Hostile VR people will be bringing out the "It's all tech demos!" thing for a while, since they don't acknowledge any VR releases.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Kid posted:

Thanks, hopefully that gets added soon as the Home is really neat.

Or the objects you can place that launch games like another poster mentioned, some pedestals with orbs/items on top, poster of the game on the wall behind it. drag them to your head to play.

It would be neat to get 3rd party launcher software honestly.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So that Steam VR Home beta is weird. Jumped into a public room and we all drew dicks jizzing on an anime schoolgirl.

And then we went to Kaikaro Village and all drew dicks jizzing on a chicken.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KodiakRS posted:

Do we know if Bethesda is letting people play VR demos at e3? Or are the 90 second sizzle reel trailers all we get? I'm primarily interested to see how they handle locomotion.

Skyrim appears to be roomscale + teleport, but I think Fallout looked like it was more controlstick walk around, so both could end up supporting multiple locomotion solutions.

iceaim posted:

Cognitive dissonance and projection isn't exactly logical but it sure is human. :v:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo Archangel: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JsWG-CLt28I&feature=youtu.be

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Has anyone else's camera stopped working since they upgraded to Steam VR Home? I double click the home button and models for the base stations will appear but my camera display doesn't activate.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hell yeah

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
https://developer.ibm.com/dwblog/2017/watson-voice-commands-star-trek/

They've, like, totally stolen an idea I had years ago, but I'm so incredibly psyched to see how this will play out. It will be incredible for immersion if technology like Watson can be implemented like this. Wasn't there another VR game trying something similar?

Edit: Actually, just saw that it's old news. It isn't available in the game yet, right?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Bethesda WORLDS in VR are a great thing but unless they do something about the floaty stat based combat it will all be very disjointed.

In anyway, I'm sure exploration will be absolutely magical for those with solid VR legs.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AgentF posted:

Has anyone else's camera stopped working since they upgraded to Steam VR Home? I double click the home button and models for the base stations will appear but my camera display doesn't activate.
Yeah mine went out when the Home beta first came out, didn't think it was related that's weird. I wasn't too worried about it so I'm not exactly sure which thing I changed fixed it, I switched USB ports at one point though try that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Voice recognition and synthesis have taken massive steps forward in the past half decade. It shouldn't be long until it starts showing up in more games, being able to converse with characters in RPGs naturally would be awesome.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Yeah mine went out when the Home beta first came out, didn't think it was related that's weird. I wasn't too worried about it so I'm not exactly sure which thing I changed fixed it, I switched USB ports at one point though try that.

Thanks. I'll look into this pronto so I can continue to avoid stepping on the cat.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Baron von der Loon posted:

https://developer.ibm.com/dwblog/2017/watson-voice-commands-star-trek/

They've, like, totally stolen an idea I had years ago, but I'm so incredibly psyched to see how this will play out. It will be incredible for immersion if technology like Watson can be implemented like this. Wasn't there another VR game trying something similar?

Edit: Actually, just saw that it's old news. It isn't available in the game yet, right?
I believe it's still on track to be launched as a patch/update Soon™

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hoooargh GORN just needs to get on STEAM already. I love what I've seen of the new features so far in the videos and gifs and I want to jump back in but man I've run the demo into the ground.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, the deluxe audio strap is a strongly recommend.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Walrus posted:

Any further impressions? How is the sound and stability. I ordered mine from Amazon on day one and apparently still have to wait another 2 weeks before they will deliver.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Wilson's Heart worth grabbing? My missus loves horror stuff and the 1940's aesthetic seems cool.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Stick100 posted:

Any further impressions? How is the sound and stability. I ordered mine from Amazon on day one and apparently still have to wait another 2 weeks before they will deliver.

The sound seems quite good and the nature of the earphonrs means they feel really secure at all times. When i first put it on i thought maybe it was less stable but i think while that may be a bit true its going to be an unavoidable byproduct of the thing not being jammed against your face by force quite as much. In effect though its not something you really notice and the ability to play for more than an hour without pain is very appreciated. Also taking it on and off is such a joy now, particularly with people who are demoing

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Wilson's Heart worth grabbing? My missus loves horror stuff and the 1940's aesthetic seems cool.

I thought it was really great! One of my very best VR experiences, unique and satisfying narrative, and amazing art. Gameplay is sort of light fyi, it wisks you from place to place rather than ask a lot of cleverness or skill from you.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013
I am a librarian and I was showing some tweens Superhot at work today.
Really nice kid punched me right in the balls in front of a dozen other tweens.
It was a good day.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Songbearer posted:

I really enjoyed it. It looks fantastic, the hand models and IK are top notch, the setting is great, and theres some truely great parts that take advantage of VR in neat ways when you start getting turned into a mannequin and now you're going around with one wooden hand that you can't use or grab anything with feels so weird, and then on top of that when you have to saw your own arm off :P Well thats the kind of thing that just wouldn't give you 1% of the experience in 2d. . It has the perfect level of scary for me, where I was on edge and freaked out constantly, but never so much that i just had to quit the game like whats that one with the random dungeons, deadhalls or something.

One warning, the puzzle elements are very light and they hold your hand through a lot of it. It's almost better if you think of it like an interactive story, or like one of those telltale games, rather than an old school lucasarts style adventure game or something. But, that being said, it was worth the money for me, and it really filled a niche we barely have any of in VR so far for single player games. It was really refreshing after so much multiplayer or wave stuff to just have a nice solid single player narrative experience that I could play for an hour or two night after night. This year is looking like a bonanza for that though, Mages Tale is coming out next week, Lone Echo next month, Arctika.1 probably in August, Fallout 4 in October, etc etc.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Got a chance to try the deluxe audio strap at a VR Meetup. Vive owners should buy the strap

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I told you integrated headphones were good!!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh, I tried to give Elite Dangerous another chance but I just grew so frustrated with how confusing a lot of the missions can be, like skimmer destruction. Ended up uninstalling as I just couldn't deal with bashing my head against trying to find a "Goliath skimmer" at a moon base that had turrets and regular skimmers or what the gently caress ever. Hoping to find something new to dump some hours into.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Had a chance to try a demo of a wireless system today at E3, called the DisplayLink. It left a great first impression on me. Felt pretty much no latency at all, despite moving all over the play area. It's doesn't really add much weight to the headset at all, though it can be a bit bulky. They claimed 2-3 hours battery life at the booth, although their site says 2. I can't imagine playing in VR much longer than that anyway. Didn't get an answer on price or release date, but if it's the right cost, I would definitely want one.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Taintrunner posted:

Ugh, I tried to give Elite Dangerous another chance but I just grew so frustrated with how confusing a lot of the missions can be, like skimmer destruction. Ended up uninstalling as I just couldn't deal with bashing my head against trying to find a "Goliath skimmer" at a moon base that had turrets and regular skimmers or what the gently caress ever. Hoping to find something new to dump some hours into.

You should join the Diamond Frogs, it would help you enjoy E:D.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Lemming posted:

I told you integrated headphones were good!!!

I'm going off weight distribution and general feel alone. I didn't get a chance to try it in action proper.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Colonial Air Force posted:

You should join the Diamond Frogs, it would help you enjoy E:D.

I ended up doing that when I first played E:D. While it gave some info on to make money, I never actually saw another goon in the game. Plus the people in discord were kind of weird with how obsessed they were with talking about some guy in some other group.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Walrus posted:

It's a massive improvement. My only complaint is that one of the earpieces doesn't "click" down and stay put unless I apply some force and bend it in. Maybe my head is lopsided.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Cojawfee posted:

I ended up doing that when I first played E:D. While it gave some info on to make money, I never actually saw another goon in the game. Plus the people in discord were kind of weird with how obsessed they were with talking about some guy in some other group.

Aye they're goony as gently caress

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DarthBlingBling posted:

Aye they're goony as gently caress

Just the worst

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Goony, but if you meet up with Bricka or Kermit you won't leave without having some good fun.

Overall its a game that is a bit hard to get into, but once you find a fun element it gets better and is amazing in VR every time I play.

Also the game is getting some big updates soon as per E3.

Also Hi. Haven't been in the thread recently as I have been busy as hell between jobs. Turns out I am more busy without a Job than with one. Ugh.

Also Star Trek Bridge Crew is amazing as said plenty earlier, but warping out 1 second before an exploding star gets you while finishing a transport of survivors is always a satisfying feeling. One pubbie I played with shouted "That is why I got VR" a bunch of times after we did that. It was pretty epic.

I love being Captain, and I always accidentally hit Red Alert at least 3 times a mission at various parts which works to make sure everyone is on their toes. I wonder how things are going to be with Watson.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Weren't you working with the hello v guys? I know I've been quite critical of their software, but I hope they're doing ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also Star Trek Bridge Crew is amazing as said plenty earlier, but warping out 1 second before an exploding star gets you while finishing a transport of survivors is always a satisfying feeling. One pubbie I played with shouted "That is why I got VR" a bunch of times after we did that. It was pretty epic.

I love being Captain, and I always accidentally hit Red Alert at least 3 times a mission at various parts which works to make sure everyone is on their toes. I wonder how things are going to be with Watson.
Are you me?
Love being captain, also warped out with a second to spare
https://clips.twitch.tv/LitigiousAbrasivePenguinFeelsBadMan
60 seconds left and the Engineer doesn't even know what target to scan
"20 seconds to solar explosion"
how much time left on the beaming??
"uhhhh 15 seconds"

Only noticed in later replays how tired the helm is of my poo poo "Okay.....Okay..."