Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah, if you have the space look into micro-ATX with a 1070 or a different laptop. That thing is going to be hot, battery hungry, and not the best for running games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bolow posted:

unless you travel a shitload a gaming laptop is terrible idea

it's this

i take it to sea with me

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Check this out my droog

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154470

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

depending on your flavor of autism it should play pretty much anything that isn't a current release at medium settings.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

drat. I like the 17 screen is all for watching movies etc but the spec on that owns

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Laptop recommendations that aren't ThinkPads?? Heresy!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I like MSI. Why a thinkpad?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

They are the Subaru of laptops.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Riced out to poo poo and loved by lesbians?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Not made in America?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Naked Bear posted:

Laptop recommendations that aren't ThinkPads?? Heresy!

Dell Precision Mobile :colbert:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://s1.webmshare.com/vgym0.webm

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Huh. I thought the Humpback profile was just for realism, I didn't know they were actually in the game.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Two Finger posted:

it's this

i take it to sea with me

Have you considered not playing video games when you're at sea? I used to read books at sea, then when I'd come back, I'd catch up on games.

Or maybe a console just for ease of use and playing with others?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dude McAwesome posted:

Have you considered not playing video games when you're at sea? I used to read books at sea, then when I'd come back, I'd catch up on games.

Or maybe a console just for ease of use and playing with others?

That's a fair suggestion too. I do have a kindle.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Or just go with games that don't have massive graphics requirements. On deployment I was as happy as a pig in poo poo just playing M&B: Warband and XCOM when waiting on convoys.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Yeah I played a lot of diablo 2.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

And don't forget Alpha Centauri.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i brought my ps2 and xbox with a 10" tv in my foot locker

so i 100% mgs3 and did everything possible in it and love it

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i brought my ps2 and xbox with a 10" tv in my foot locker

so i 100% mgs3 and did everything possible in it and love it

I brought my xbox 360 with me during aircrew/flight engineer school. I played nothing but fallout 3 and modern warfare. to play cod mw online I had to use my laptop as the router for the 360 to connect through. it was amazing

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Rat posted:

And don't forget Alpha Centauri.

No one should ever forget AC.

MIRIAM!!!!!!! :argh:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
MUST BE NICE TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES ON DEPLOYMENT WHILE I'M OUT ON THREE DAY OPS AND poo poo

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It's even nicer when you've gone back as a contractor and make good money that will later be blown on giant piles of gun poo poo :smug:

:shepicide:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
So I picked up Mafia 3 when it was on a sale a week or so ago. I've only played a few hours but I think it's good.

It may have to do with them having pinned trying to get old 60s era cars to go fast, even down to the odd tire squeals that they are prone to making. Some serious member berries.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

TBeats posted:

MUST BE NICE TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES ON DEPLOYMENT WHILE I'M OUT ON THREE DAY OPS AND poo poo

real nice when we wired it up to the back of my ambulance so we could play tekken while pulling range qualification med support in between naps

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

poo poo, I was just happy to have tunes in my truck. :shrug:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I chose my Kindle model based on which ones would fit in a flight suit pocket.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

I chose my Kindle model based on which ones would fit in a flight suit pocket.

The Paperwhite fits in almost every pocket of the multicam pants

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Man i've seen like no traps ever, never got a kill with one and I think I've stood on one mine. never seen the punji stakes at all.

first time using traps today

got a triple kill

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pesticide20 posted:

The Paperwhite fits in almost every pocket of the multicam pants

My paperwhite keeps me happy and sane during commercial air travel.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Two-finger my man, get this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($293.24 @ PB Technologies)
Motherboard: Asus - B150I PRO GAMING/WIFI/AURA Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($219.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($207.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($194.35 @ PB Technologies)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($263.34 @ PB Technologies)
Case: Silverstone - DS380B Mini ITX Tower Case ($248.80 @ Ascent Technology)
Power Supply: Silverstone - 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($158.20 @ Ascent Technology)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($163.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Total: $1746.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-16 16:50 NZST+1200

Way the gently caress more powerful than that MSI laptop, and is pretty easily hand-carried. You're on your own figuring out where to put it on the ship but I'm sure you can work something out.

E: the price is in USD, (nope they have an NZD and availability option!) but if you were to order those parts individually you'll still come out way the gently caress ahead of that lovely laptop. I say this as someone who is typing this post on a MSI GT70 laptop.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 16, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

idk i'd be nervous as hell bringing a tower and monitor onto a ship

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

idk i'd be nervous as hell bringing a tower and monitor onto a ship

It's not a tower really, a mini-itx case is like 11-12 inches on a side, or less than 30cm, and it doesn't weigh much. It's not like a PC tower, the thing is designed to be portable.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

orange juche posted:

It's not a tower really, a mini-itx case is like 11-12 inches on a side, or less than 30cm, and it doesn't weigh much. It's not like a PC tower, the thing is designed to be portable.

what about the monitor

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

what about the monitor

It's a ship, not a yacht. There are desks, and noone on his crew is going to steal a loving monitor, that poo poo would be noticable. It's not as bad as USN enlisted accommodations most likely.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

orange juche posted:

It's a ship, not a yacht. There are desks, and noone on his crew is going to steal a loving monitor, that poo poo would be noticable. It's not as bad as USN enlisted accommodations most likely.

i was thinkin more about rough seas and stuff. monitor tips over and breaks, and he's stuck until he gets back to port

thats just my mindset , i think being on a ship is a decent excuse to use a laptop. i get what you're saying, gaming laptops suck.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

orange juche posted:

Two-finger my man, get this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($293.24 @ PB Technologies)
Motherboard: Asus - B150I PRO GAMING/WIFI/AURA Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($219.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($207.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($194.35 @ PB Technologies)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($263.34 @ PB Technologies)
Case: Silverstone - DS380B Mini ITX Tower Case ($248.80 @ Ascent Technology)
Power Supply: Silverstone - 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($158.20 @ Ascent Technology)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($163.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Total: $1746.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-16 16:50 NZST+1200

Way the gently caress more powerful than that MSI laptop, and is pretty easily hand-carried. You're on your own figuring out where to put it on the ship but I'm sure you can work something out.

E: the price is in USD, (nope they have an NZD and availability option!) but if you were to order those parts individually you'll still come out way the gently caress ahead of that lovely laptop. I say this as someone who is typing this post on a MSI GT70 laptop.

Yeah I appreciate the thought man but honestly the reason I take a laptop is simplicity. Yes, I could look at putting a monitor in my cabin or whatever, but it's far, far more convenient for me to be able to carry my laptop around with me, particularly if I'm in port. Still, I have toyed with the idea of having a dedicated PC to take with me and leave on the ship, but at that point I might as well use a console so we can multi.
Which means I'm stuck with lovely graphics cards by the sound.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Two Finger posted:

Yeah I appreciate the thought man but honestly the reason I take a laptop is simplicity. Yes, I could look at putting a monitor in my cabin or whatever, but it's far, far more convenient for me to be able to carry my laptop around with me, particularly if I'm in port. Still, I have toyed with the idea of having a dedicated PC to take with me and leave on the ship, but at that point I might as well use a console so we can multi.
Which means I'm stuck with lovely graphics cards by the sound.

Pretty much, I tried though v:shobon:v

Alternatively, not-poo poo fixed PC for the boat, cheaper laptop for wifi out on the town

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 16, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

orange juche posted:

Pretty much, I tried though v:shobon:v

Alternatively, not-poo poo fixed PC for the boat, cheaper laptop for wifi out on the town

Or I guess find a different career than possibly the only one that guarantees lovely/no internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Two Finger posted:

Or I guess find a different career than possibly the only one that guarantees lovely/no internet

You're in NZ, sheep don't need internet thus you have no internet on hobbit island.