Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Summit posted:

True but you can also redo the shot entirely. I was merely pointing out the stupidity of the video where a pro golfer hacks into super tall grass. You'd be a fool to ignore the much easier option of an unplayable.

You're talking about the guy who took a 16 on a par 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

And still shot 80.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Shrapnig posted:

And still shot 80.

47 - 33 is a front/back breakdown you don't see every day lol. I've come pretty close to that before though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Summit posted:

True but you can also redo the shot entirely. I was merely pointing out the stupidity of the video where a pro golfer hacks into super tall grass. You'd be a fool to ignore the much easier option of an unplayable.

Yeah, taking a single swing in that stuff is not a good idea. Even with a great lie, your swing is greatly impeded.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Man, I finally start figuring out my driver and irons in the golf league yesterday and decide to 4 putt three times and 3putt another three times. Over nine holes. Hate fuels me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sataere posted:

Man, I finally start figuring out my driver and irons in the golf league yesterday and decide to 4 putt three times and 3putt another three times. Over nine holes. Hate fuels me.

lol that is golf as gently caress

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I shot a 44 on 9 holes in league last night
5 three putts. This ties my best 9 holes for the year.

Downhill putting is killing me.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

37 as a sub at a course I've only played one time last night, and that was with the wrong yardage on a blind approach shot that resulted in a triple bogey.

50 in my league tonight. Harder course with sanded greens but still... fuckin golf

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Haven't caught up with the thread yet but thanks to it I scored these Nike FIs for 20 bucks via Burlington coat factory. Only size 12 and only pair of golf shoes in the store. Super comfortable and felt great at the range today with my hybrid/short iron practice.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Laying down the mattress now. Haven't golfed for 3 weeks, and spent all my spare time redecking my 1600 linear foot deck. My hands hurt and my back hurts. I'll probably have my low round of the season. Oh, and tee time won't allow any range time, so straight to the first tee. Hurray for handicap management days.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Dr. Capco posted:

Haven't caught up with the thread yet but thanks to it I scored these Nike FIs for 20 bucks via Burlington coat factory. Only size 12 and only pair of golf shoes in the store. Super comfortable and felt great at the range today with my hybrid/short iron practice.

I got the same pair yesterday...along with 5 others ... Had multiple requests for different sizes so I am going back today to get rando sizes for people without local burlingtons. Some dude gave me $60 + Shipping for some Lunarlon's already that I got so I've basically gotten back half the money I spent already selling 1 pair.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Shot 40 in my league last night. Didn't actually hit the ball well at all so that's probably the best I could hope for. But I made no putts. Two three putts and a few like 5-8 footers that I missed really hurt me.

My opponent got two shots on me. We both shot our handicap score(40 and 42) exactly, and we tied 7 holes and each won one. I don't know if it could have been closer. I failed to birdie the last par 5 when I was sitting at 177 to the flag after my drive. Hurts.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

torgeaux posted:

Laying down the mattress now. Haven't golfed for 3 weeks, and spent all my spare time redecking my 1600 linear foot deck. My hands hurt and my back hurts. I'll probably have my low round of the season. Oh, and tee time won't allow any range time, so straight to the first tee. Hurray for handicap management days.

Ok, about like I anticipated. 43/39. First hole, first swing, great tee shot. Second hole, great tee shot. Third hole, hit ball to exactly the shown pin location, only to discover they had left it middle, not back left (gps on cart shows location and distance, each turned out wrong by 10 yards). No more good tee shots on the front, no bad ones on the back.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Three birdies in my league tonight which was nice, but I was +6 on the other six holes and didn't end up winning any skins. C'est la vie.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
So I've been playing some pretty steady golf. I was -1 through my last 4 rounds across different courses, and then I shot +1 at a local course, but still, not too bad.

This afternoon I played a track I normally score well on, and I just couldn't get away with anything. I shot a +7 on the front 9, carding 2 triples along the way.

A playing partner remarked that the first triple was perhaps the worst hole he'd ever seen me play. Looking back at my rounds in GolfShot, the last time I carded worse than a double bogey was when I took a quad bogey going for broke on a par 5 finishing hole back in January of 2015.

2.5 years.

Now sure, I probably had some practice rounds where I pumped a few balls OB trying out different things, but I don't keep score on those.

I started to turn it around on the back 9, hitting driver - 7i into a par 5 and rattling the flagstick, but we were forced to leave the course because they were starting a 4 man scramble at 5 pm. We were told to either take an 18 hole rain check or play the front 9 again, and since we were on the 14th tee when they asked us to decide, we took the rain check and left. I'm privately thankful because that round won't count, but I would have been very happy to break 80.

Golf giveth, and golf taketh.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I hear you. I hadn't made worse than double bogey in a tournament at my home course in about a year (30ish rounds) and then in the last one I made 3 triples, all on the back 9.

It's infuriating.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
It has rained every day for two weeks. :mad:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

Same here :(

Have a tee time booked at the rear end crack of dawn on saturday to try and beat the rain though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

mattfl posted:

Same here :(

Have a tee time booked at the rear end crack of dawn on saturday to try and beat the rain though.

I'm going to save these posts in order to look back on them and laugh when I'm under 6 feet of snow for 5 months.

seriously though that sucks

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

DJExile posted:

I'm going to save these posts in order to look back on them and laugh when I'm under 6 feet of snow for 5 months.

seriously though that sucks

I guess it is my punishment for playing in shorts in December :cool:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Shot a new Personal best score this morning. Literally 29 strokes better than a round two weeks ago.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
29 strokes :stare:

That's a great round, well done

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I did ok today considering I haven't hit a ball in a week due to it raining every day this month. Had a one hour rain delay at the turn + 4 beers that got me a little off on the back. I had 3 real good looks at birdie on 4, 6, and 9, like under 10 feet and damned if I didn't leave them all short. Made a 30+ footer from the fringe on 7. I missed the fairway on 10 by about 15 feet but it stoned me dead behind a tree, 11 was a clusterfuck. I'm hitting the ball pretty nice right now and my index is trending down.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 18, 2017

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Found a TP5-X ball in the rough today brand new. Used it for the next 10 holes. One of the best balls I've ever used. Now I have to convince myself not to buy a dozen as they're stupidly expensive.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Halo14 posted:

Found a TP5-X ball in the rough today brand new. Used it for the next 10 holes. One of the best balls I've ever used. Now I have to convince myself not to buy a dozen as they're stupidly expensive.

Buy the dozen. They're demonstrably better than cheaper balls.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

torgeaux posted:

Buy the dozen. They're demonstrably better than cheaper balls.

Oh I don't use cheap balls, unless they're AAA used. I've been using Bridgestone B330RX lately and am impressed with the low spin. They're $50 a dozen, the TP5X are like $70+!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

Oh I don't use cheap balls, unless they're AAA used. I've been using Bridgestone B330RX lately and am impressed with the low spin. They're $50 a dozen, the TP5X are like $70+!

They're $45 in the US. $5 a box more than the Bridgestones. Same price as Pro Vs.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah add 30%+ here in Oz. Might wait a bit till they come down. Or hope the guy who lost that one loses more haha

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I got this for Father's day

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

2 weeks off really sucks, let's not do that again.

Thought I was starting off great then 3-7 happened but got it back on track afterwards. Next couple weekends looks good for golf and I have a long weekend for July 4th so many rounds will be played in the next couple of weeks!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

I did ok today considering I haven't hit a ball in a week due to it raining every day this month. Had a one hour rain delay at the turn + 4 beers that got me a little off on the back. I had 3 real good looks at birdie on 4, 6, and 9, like under 10 feet and damned if I didn't leave them all short. Made a 30+ footer from the fringe on 7. I missed the fairway on 10 by about 15 feet but it stoned me dead behind a tree, 11 was a clusterfuck. I'm hitting the ball pretty nice right now and my index is trending down.

Was that really a 5+ hour round? Fuuuuuuck

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

daslog posted:

I got this for Father's day

My alligator headcover is my most cherished golf possession, and it wasn't even given to me as a father. Enjoy it.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

mattfl posted:

Was that really a 5+ hour round? Fuuuuuuck

Well I had to spend an hour and a half at the turn in the clubhouse because rain.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

Well I had to spend an hour and a half at the turn in the clubhouse because rain.

Ohh. Ya I missed that part lol

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I golfed for the first time on Friday, is there an effortpost for beginners? I did have a great time and am interested in playing more.

I can't drive for poo poo, and got worse as the buddy
I was with was correcting my form.

My chipping and putting is okay, I think. I worked at a driving range when I was in highschool 16 years ago and spent a lot of down time goofing around with a wedge, and I used to be pretty accurate back then.

Maybe I should take a lesson or three? Hit 100 balls a day at the range for 100 days?

I don't have any clubs either. Is it better to get an inexpensive full set for the first year or so? Or are half the clubs useless and should I just get 5 or 6 half decent clubs that are used the most?

Here is a coyote that was hanging out on the 18th green

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Don't listen to your friends unless those friends are teaching pros. Everyone has the tendency to give advice that applies to their own game; you likely need to think about very different things to arrive at a sound swing.

I'm a big fan of eBay clubs. Can get sets a few years old for a third or less than retail that way.

My main advice would be to not play this silly game but sounds like you might already have the bug. I'm deeply sorry for your loss. Welcome friend.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

If you're a new golfer, finding a way to hit some clubs without actually buying them is probably the best thing to do. You may have some idea of what shaft flex youd prefer but there's lots of other things that might make a big difference to you either physically or mentally. I absolutely cannot play clubs with more than a tiny amount of offset for example, even though I know it's almost entirely mental. Once you have an idea of what you like you can get new or used clubs online that are a year or two old for a tiny fraction of what the new clubs go for and have probably 99.9% of the performance.

Summit posted:

Don't listen to your friends unless those friends are teaching pros. Everyone has the tendency to give advice that applies to their own game; you likely need to think about very different things to arrive at a sound swing.
I'm a decent golfer and I see people I'm playing with start to mimic some of my mechanics sometimes. It's flattering, but having a guy who is slicing his irons start opening his clubface like I do (my normal iron swing is a push draw) just makes their shots even worse every time, it's usually pretty funny.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Halo14 posted:

Sorry, wasn't implying cheap balls, but that the TP5s are worth the price...of course, you're paying more than me. Any online sources for you? I can get somewhat discounted prices sometimes on logo overruns (which frankly I prefer).

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I love hitting my Ping wedge to the point that I think I want to get more Ping irons that have similar characteristics. Its a Tour Gorge, made in approximately 2013. The hive mind of club hoes that are GolfWRX (since we are all now outed as posters there) have suggested something in the iSeries would be the closest, and given the dates I am contemplating getting a set of i20s--I have a line on a set in black dot with no shipping fees for a very reasonable price in fact. Are there closer clubs to the wedge I have than the i20/25/e1?

What I love about hitting this wedge is that, I don't know, its weighting and balance are perfect for my swing, and actually seems to improve my mechanics because the swing groove is so well defined I don't need to swing the poo poo out of it or whatever. The heads are heavier than my old Karsten 1 clones and that helps me find the groove. The heads are a bit larger than my current irons, and the sound is a much more satisfying crack than the dull thump of my current irons. And, I hate to admit it, they are more forgiving--much less torque comes from a toe strike, and the ball carries straighter and longer on a mishit (although I have had very few of them with this wedge).

I'm probably getting a bit carried away I realize. I really just need to hit more. But today after my large bucket I hit a second starter bucket with just this wedge and my pitching wedge as a warm down despite having hitnearly half of the first bucket to these clubs, its just do damned fun to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Clubs you have confidence in? Better than any high tech club made since. But, see if you can find and swing some before buying.