Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Hey so for people in the know... did Capcom ever explain the whole "Monster Hunter World will be toned down for the West" poo poo? Do we know what exactly that means or was it just a stupid rumor going around?

Allegedly, the game now shows damage numbers when you hit monsters. Monster hunter's resident git gudder's are therefore losing their minds at important information actually being available in the game instead of requiring you to memorize a 4048x4048 chart on gamefaqs, as this clearly compromises the Hardcoreness of the game in a bid to appeal to filthy casuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

also you can turn the numbers off if you dont like them

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
MHW is sounding better and better.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ShadowMar posted:

here's a neogaf link with info from a gameplay demo at E3: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1391293

basically: some really nice quality of life additions have been added and being construed as dumbing down because gamers are babies

Thank god

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Awesome! posted:

also you can turn the numbers off if you dont like them

yeah but i can't force the filthy casuals to turn off their numbers, game is ruined

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

gently caress yes, I love numbers flying out of enemies. I get Borderlands Boners over that poo poo. Seriously can't wait for MHW.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

how does capcom's PR for MH:W compare to their PR for DmC

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Xander77 posted:

The recent changes may have killed the gift train, so who cares :(

Is this true?

I've been saving Steam buxs for the gift train :(

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

OhFunny posted:

Is this true?

I've been saving Steam buxs for the gift train :(

Apparently they don't allow gifting to/from the US/Canada any more. And other countries too?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Apparently they don't allow gifting to/from the US/Canada any more. And other countries too?

It's not like that.
Steam blocks gifting when the price in receiver's country is at least 10% higher than in country of the sender.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 16, 2017

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Late to the party but yeah, just play Redux. 2033 OG is... rough.

I'd recommend playing 2033R in 'survival' mode and LL in 'spartan' mode, since if I recall correctly those were the original modes for each game (spartan makes 2033 a bit too easy).

Feel free to correct me on the modes though.

Thanks. How about playing it in Russian w/subs? The English VA in OG was pretty awful, and I remember at the time it was recommended to just playing in the native language with subs.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Anti-Hero posted:

Thanks. How about playing it in Russian w/subs? The English VA in OG was pretty awful, and I remember at the time it was recommended to just playing in the native language with subs.

Nope. There's no subtitles for non-essential dialogue, so you'll miss out on a lot of what makes Metro... Metro.

I was about to link a video I made showing this off, but I seem to have deleted it :v:

/edit: nvm, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjRqMhplZ14

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 16, 2017

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I just got a Baldur's Gate card drop.
I haven't played that game since 2013. :psydwarf:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Pentaro posted:

I just got a Baldur's Gate card drop.
I haven't played that game since 2013. :psydwarf:

:siren:YOU'RE BEING HACKED*!!!:siren:

*maybe idk

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i also just got some baldurs gate cards

Orv
May 4, 2011
Same. Not sure why that'd happen as the usual reasons for card caps to increase don't apply to that game but :shrug:

E: Or did it not have cards before?

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 16, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

yeah but i can't force the filthy casuals to turn off their numbers, game is ruined

This isn't even a parody. when I played monster hunter tri I saw peoples' suggestions for monster health bars get angrily shot down no matter what, to the point where someone was suggesting a mode with health bars but where you get literally no loot whatsoever, and that was still too much for the git gudders

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

It's because you've played it in the past and it just got cards added to it. You will get cards for how many hours you've already played until the normal limit.

This is a thing Valve added recently.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Damage numbers are good, health bars would be bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

why though

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Is Oriental Empires any good? It's on sale and has wild variation in reviews.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

This only could work if the damage modeling of the enemies is up to par, such that you see them stumble and get weaker as time goes on.
Otherwise a healthbar is the only way to pass the time because otherwise you're just shooting spitballs at a damage sponge.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Sorry if this has been asked this week already, but if I buy Dying Light Enhanced Edition and the season pass, do I get everything? Or???

EDIT- Thanks!

The Machine fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 16, 2017

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

The Machine posted:

Sorry if this has been asked this week already, but if I buy Dying Light Enhanced Edition and the season pass, do I get everything? Or???

Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition gives you everything.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Drifter posted:

This only could work if the damage modeling of the enemies is up to par, such that you see them stumble and get weaker as time goes on.
Otherwise a healthbar is the only way to pass the time because otherwise you're just shooting spitballs at a damage sponge.

That's literally how MH has always worked. That's why the game never had numbers before; the monsters have tells like limping/fleeing, plus individual parts break off if enough damage is done there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jamfrost posted:

Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition gives you everything.

You don't get some of the skins for some reason but you get everything important.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ZarathustraFollower posted:

That's literally how MH has always worked. That's why the game never had numbers before; the monsters have tells like limping/fleeing, plus individual parts break off if enough damage is done there.

Then having a health bar would just take you out of the experience, since it doesn't actually help you do anything. I don't know why people are saying a health bar is useful at that point.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Drifter posted:

Then having a health bar would just take you out of the experience, since it doesn't actually help you do anything. I don't know why people are saying a health bar is useful at that point.

it would actually help you do things like capture monsters since that becomes possible at a certain hp% and there is an armor skill that tells you when they hit the threshold so you dont have to guess

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Superhot was neat, but I was tired of it by the end of the very short game. I'm very grateful to have received the code for free, but I can't fathom paying the $25-30 it was.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Harlock posted:

Superhot was neat, but I was tired of it by the end of the very short game. I'm very grateful to have received the code for free, but I can't fathom paying the $25-30 it was.

The challenges are pretty fun with the different conditions. One of the best action-puzzle games in my experience.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I also got it for free from someone who already had it and got it in the Humble Monthly. I got to the point in the game where I promised to stop playing. So I've kinda been role playing that, even though I want to see where it goes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Drifter posted:

well, you'd be able to know that your sword isnt going to work and you need to grind, rather than having to slowly realize that you need to grind. please note that grinding for rare drops happens in either situation though

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

corn in the bible posted:

well, you'd be able to know that your sword isnt going to work

Can't say I ever had this happen or heard of it happening. Grinding is definitely big though

e: like if your weapon is not powerful enough it will literally bounce off when you try to hit the monster. There's no communication issue there.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

man, i don't know why but i loving hate any and all grinding in most games but, not only does monster hunter's grind not annoy me, i actually enjoy it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Because monster hunter is only a grind when you abstract it far enough. Yes, you just kill monsters to get clothes to kill more monsters to get more clothes, but the actual moment to moment gameplay is challenging and engaging. Whereas in turn based games, "grinding" basically means you're going through a bunch of loving menus over and over. One "instance" of grinding in monster hunter is like a 30 minute mission that might not even get you what you want, but that mission itself just feels like a good action game so it takes way more repetition for it to start to feel like a grind.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Anyone else kind of disappointed with E3 this year? Nothing really jumped out and punched me in the face to hype.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Turd Herder posted:

Anyone else kind of disappointed with E3 this year? Nothing really jumped out and punched me in the face to hype.

Same. Nintendo was decent but mostly because of lowered expectations. Not every year can be a blowout.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Turd Herder posted:

The new spiderman game looks good, hope it comes to PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Turd Herder posted:

Wolfenstein 2 is the biggest (and basically only) non-Nintendo thing I'm hype about.

• Locked thread