Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

jon joe posted:

Everyone should watch John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness, imo.

Thank you for informing me about this movie. John Carpenter's "The Thing" is one of my favorites, but "Mouth of Madness" has Sam Neil and Charlton Heston!

Definitely going to watch this movie later.

Mad Hamish posted:

Lovecraft is cool and good. Shame about his lovely racist opinions but eh, it was the 1920s.

Alan Moore's 'Providence' is kickin' rad and anyone into Lovecraft should read it.

Best Lovecraft stories ranking, let's see here.

1. At The Mountains of Madness
2. The Whisperer in Darkness
3. The Shadow Over Innsmouth
4. The Colour Out of Space
5. The Haunter of the Dark

Also y'all should read Robert Bloch's 'Notebook Found In A Deserted House' which is fantastic.

August Derleth was a goddamned hack. This should not be a controversial opinion but for some reason when discussing HPL's body of work it seems to be.

This is also a good list of stories to read. I have the Hardbound "Necronomicon" that has a ton of his works. I like the story "Dagon" as well, it's short and precise. The "Cthulhu and Friends" podcast where they play Call of Cthulhu RPG has some episodes where they do readings of his works and the Dagon one was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hes the loveboat guy right

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Antiquated Pants posted:

Thank you for informing me about this movie. John Carpenter's "The Thing" is one of my favorites, but "Mouth of Madness" has Sam Neil and Charlton Heston!

Definitely going to watch this movie later.

:same:

When Del Toro cancelled his plans for a mountains of madness film (because of Prometheus), it was a very sad day.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Antiquated Pants posted:

you should watch prince of darkness. it fuckeing sucks

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oh ok, interesting:

quote:

The film is the second installment in what Carpenter calls his "Apocalypse Trilogy", which began with The Thing (1982) and concludes with In the Mouth of Madness (1995).
Wiki

I never heard of that before.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Oh ok, interesting:

Wiki

its loving terrible. dont watch it. i was trolling before. its terrible dude. do not watchit. lvoe of ogd

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hahaha are there any good films based on Lovecraft's writing?

Also how are you Orkin?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Also how are you Orkin?

drunking. u should post more her ewhile im her eposting. but dont watch prince of darkness. noone posts. 400 plus people and noone posts? im calling the police. how are u megiddo?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
smart move

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Orkin Mang posted:

drunking. u should post more her ewhile im her eposting. but dont watch prince of darkness. noone posts. 400 plus people and noone posts? im calling the police. how are u megiddo?

Sure, I'm not going to watch it. Might just watch The Thing later instead. I'm good mang. Think I've got my mojo back a little. :tipshat: also insomnia.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sure, I'm not going to watch it. Might just watch The Thing later instead. I'm good mang. Think I've got my mojo back a little. :tipshat: also insomnia.

if u want to watch a weird movie watch 'the swimmer'. its old but its fucken weird and very good

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Also how are you Orkin?

I'm not really gonna defend it but there are some charming moments in the Last Lovecraft

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

From 1968, with Burt and Janet Landgard (:love:) in? Looks weird. Why not.

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm not really gonna defend it but there are some charming moments in the Last Lovecraft
Awesome ty. I'm working at home so I can watch a bunch of weird later.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

From 1968, with Burt and Janet Landgarden (:love:) in? Looks weird. Why not.

Awesome ty. I'm working at home so I can watch a bunch of weird later.

trust me

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I do. You should post more about books. That was a good thread.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Orkin Mang posted:

you should watch prince of darkness. it fuckeing sucks

Well, I guess I'm queuing up for a really bad movie.

Oh ok, interesting:

Wiki

Well poo poo, now I HAVE to watch it.

If you love those 80's gore-fest type movies, "The Reanimator" was an entertaining 'zombie' thriller, and "From Beyond" was full of crazy poo poo. Definitely good drinking movies at this point.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Antiquated Pants posted:

Well, I guess I'm queuing up for a really bad movie.

the thing is great and this is in the same post hoc 'trilogy' but its awful dude. its boring and loving poo poo. you could make a better movie.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Those two are great. Absolutely watch from beyond, I think it's a bit less well known then the reanimator films. It's quite hosed up.

I watched it as a kid and freaked out every time I got a headache for years.

Is The Banshee Chapter worth a watch? Based on Lovecraft's story as well.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 16, 2017

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Those two are great. Absolutely watch from beyond, I think it's a bit less well known then the reanimator films. It's quite hosed up.

I watched it as a kid and freaked out every time I got a headache for years.

yoiink

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Orkin Mang posted:

the thing is great and this is in the same post hoc 'trilogy' but its awful dude. its boring and loving poo poo. you could make a better movie.

I'm always on a quest to find the worst movie ever. Currently nothing has topped "Despiser" for me but I'll watch Prince of Darkness soon and report back.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Antiquated Pants posted:

I'm always on a quest to find the worst movie ever. Currently nothing has topped "Despiser" for me but I'll watch Prince of Darkness soon and report back.

alice cooper is in it.he sucks

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Orkin Mang posted:

...This movie just keeps getting better. I'm getting some vodka and forcing it on my friends.

Hopefully we all go insane, in true Lovecraftian fashion.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5I3Lt8PwyQ

This trailer looks great, in a terrible way.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread for John Carpenter.

Anyone play the board game Mansion of Madness? Man I love that game, especially when nobody wins!

Antiquated Pants fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 16, 2017

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Also how are you Orkin?

Messiah of Evil is pretty good and I think its on youtube

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Orkin Mang posted:

he stabs a dude to death with a pushbike

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

doodlebugs posted:

he stabs a dude to death with a pushbike

yeah thats pretty cool

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

doodlebugs posted:

Messiah of Evil is pretty good and I think its on youtube

LOL I've just watched a scene in that where a girl takes a ride home, and the driver eats a live rat. Sold. Ty.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

That silent black-and-white "Call of Cthulhu" movie that was made a decade or so back was pretty cool IMO. They tried their best to make it look like it was made in about 1928 (and if it had been it'd probably be regarded as a classic and mentioned alongside King Kong).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That sounds like an excellent film to go with large amounts of weed.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I like Lovecraft type stuff. Mostly got interested because of how highly regarded the tabletop RPG most people won't play because it's not Dungeons and Dragons. (So I ended up doing sneaky poo poo like putting Innsmouth into Dragonlance and one of the Blood Brothers scenarios into World of Darkness. The latter is more grindhouse horror than everyone's favorite dead racist author though.)

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2012/09/my-cthulhu-stuff-or-lovecraftiana.html I have some stuff. A bit more now because that's a five year old post but yeah. Some decent stuff there. Cthulhu Gloom is a great version of a good little card game. For Lovecraft inspired music Darkest of the Hillside Thickets is legit. "Going Down to Dunwich" is pretty rocking. GWAR has a song about Yig if you want more metal in your dorky music choices though.

I mostly feel sorry for ol Howie. Died in agony and poverty because he was a weirdo, only for his stuff to get popular decades later and be influential as gently caress. (Dracula is still my favorite horror novel though. Also by a weirdo with hang ups. It's like to write interesting horror you gotta be tweaked in the head I guess?)

I do agree Lumley is kinda poo poo. His Necroscope universe is basically 6th Sense meets James Bond and Urotsudoji. Yeah. I do not recommend them.

This thread does remind me I still need 7th ed Call of Cthulhu rulebooks and Elder Godlike Achtung Cthulhu book. (Grimdark Ww2 superheroes v the Mythos? I already have the Dust book for WW2 mechs in that heat. They are just expensive books even for hobby gaming and it's not like I couldn't bullshit something on my own.)

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
There was a horrible thing

It was.... Indescribable

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ElGroucho posted:

There was a horrible thing

It was.... Indescribable

It was also cyclopean, foetid, noisome, squamous, blasphemous, and rugose

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this thread has become decadent

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

this thread has become decadent

Soon it's doomed to become shockingly loathsome, and then the Chinese will sweep over it like an abominable tide. Then bug people

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Captain Yossarian posted:

Obscene fungi is so good

thats what i call my dick

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

thats what i call my dick

I call mine the Magnum Innominandum

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I knew those goddamn Mexicans were in league with the Fecund Space Dicks

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

im permabanned poster niggerman58. i first started reading poe when i was about 12. by 14 i got damnably obsessed with the concept of “supernatural horror” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got shockingly eldritch and i would repeat things like “congo tom-toms” and “i love gibbering inside fetid nightmares” in my head for hours, and i would get hideously paranoid, start seeing rats in the corners of my arras etc, basically i think i went mad then. im now on morphine. i always wondered what the kind of “supernatural horror” style of american literature was all about; i think it’s the y'ha-nthlein genes leaking in to the human, what von Junzt considered to be the cause of amphibious metamorphosis. i would advise all people who “get” supernatural horror to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to becoming a fishman. transient surcease.

Minimal Ass-Piss
Jul 30, 2008

Antiquated Pants posted:

Anyone play the board game Mansion of Madness? Man I love that game, especially when nobody wins!

I love that game too. It's the best Lovecraft inspired table top game that I have played.

The first edition was really fun, but was a pain to set up and took a long time to play. It also wasn't that well balanced, but I still had a lot of fun with it. The second edition was a big improvement and solved all the issues I had with the original. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys cooperative games with a lovecraftian setting.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

skasion posted:

im permabanned poster niggerman58. i first started reading poe when i was about 12. by 14 i got damnably obsessed with the concept of “supernatural horror” and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got shockingly eldritch and i would repeat things like “congo tom-toms” and “i love gibbering inside fetid nightmares” in my head for hours, and i would get hideously paranoid, start seeing rats in the corners of my arras etc, basically i think i went mad then. im now on morphine. i always wondered what the kind of “supernatural horror” style of american literature was all about; i think it’s the y'ha-nthlein genes leaking in to the human, what von Junzt considered to be the cause of amphibious metamorphosis. i would advise all people who “get” supernatural horror to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to becoming a fishman. transient surcease.

A Good Post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

skasion posted:

Lol 👌👌👌👌

• Locked thread