Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
My battle for cat's right will not cease. Every man deserves to be a cat person too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Diogines posted:

You are very welcome to do so! Everyone is welcome to participate at their own rate. And yes it does.

Cool! I sort of wish I could participate without influencing Enkidel, but I can understand why you wouldn't want that. Instead I'll try to represent a detached, analytical part of him. I have been following the thread since about a year in, and I finally have the time to try to sort through the many notes and theories I've written down, and present them in a format where they can be useful to the thread. Especially now that Travic has made a great reference tool, so I can go back and double-check stuff. It will make for a fun "keep my brain active while I'm on vacation" project over the next couple of weeks!

Brain Candy posted:

Vote too you silly goose; people barely read Diogs posts let alone all the other noise that goes on.

I'm a politician in my everyday life, so I am constantly forced to vote on important issues, in situations with limited or unreliable information. Voting in this thread feels way too much like that, and I'd much rather discuss the incredible mysteries that Diog has created, without becoming attached to any specific course of action. Does that make sense?

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Azram Legion posted:

Cool! I sort of wish I could participate without influencing Enkidel, but I can understand why you wouldn't want that. Instead I'll try to represent a detached, analytical part of him.

Oh, so you're the part that went "huh, neat" at the revelation that we're an abomination doomed to eternal hunger, and kept trying to carefully gauge WHICH thoughts made us most angry while in the sight of El(?).

Yep, sounds about right.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Task Manager posted:

You have a point - I shouldn't have said it won't change anything at this point. I feel like he has taken constructive criticism in the past, with the 1st retconn being a good example in that people felt blindsided and expected another round before we got creamed, so he's tried to give us more warning before we hit a fail state. I just think constructive criticism on this specific aspect (Getting cryptic responses to certain questions) is pointless, because it's not an issue he can "get better at" - it's the way these questions get answered within the framework of his simulation for reasons we're not fully aware of.

Like I said, that means you either have to believe he has a good reason for it within that framework, meaning criticism isn't warranted; or you have to believe he's choosing to do so because he's a dick, and that probably won't change if he's done it for four years now. I don't think inexperience or failing to read the room is the reason for his continued "Do you?"s. He's fully aware it's frustrating the hell out of us, and has acknowledged that won't be changing.

Yep. He has in the past. That's why I want to talk about it. Let's work this out. 2 years ago I was willing to just shake it off. Now we need to just sit down and work this out.

It reminds me of that terrible line in Destiny "I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain." :)

Travic fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 16, 2017

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Maybe the lack of normal explanation is meant to represent how our brain was not working right in this place, even before we got geased? We know that huge presence has an unavoidable reprogramming effect on lesser presences nearby. It could be accompanied by confusion and memory loss.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Nyaa posted:

My battle for cat's right will not cease. Every man deserves to be a cat person too!

+1

Dogs love you by default, a cat's love has to be earned.

Regarding the discussion going on: none of this is gonna convince Diog to change the way he does things. I'm planning on doing some experimenting with "ownership" if we ever make it back to Kavodel. My only real concern about the game at this point is the pacing, which is about 1 year of real time per 20 years of game time. Every year it goes on increases the chance that it has to abruptly end for some reason and leave the players with a giant case of blue Balls.

Voting to institute a tradition of having the Balls paint themselves blue and abstain from sex for a week once every year.

Mexican Deathgasm fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 16, 2017

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I will always support a vote for adopting the smuggest cat we can for someone to insult us when we're dumb compared to snarls unconditional love.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We're going to have a snake too if all goes well. Maybe Snuls, Orm and future cat will be able to team up.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Enkidel Eat The Black Goop.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Butt Discussin posted:

Maybe the lack of normal explanation is meant to represent how our brain was not working right in this place, even before we got geased? We know that huge presence has an unavoidable reprogramming effect on lesser presences nearby. It could be accompanied by confusion and memory loss.

This has been happening for IRL years unfortunately.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Travic, at least some of those questions are things we know the answer to, you just have to look it up. It's a thread mechanic in that Enkidel's memory isn't 100% perfect and he doesn't know everything. The "what color is this?" Sort of stuff is probably worth answering, but the whole "do we know who owns the land?" Is well known. No, we don't. In fact it came up recently, Diog reminded us that we don't ever have a mystical knowledge of who owns the land, and then someone asked again. Many of these answers are in the thread, you just have to go find them. This is to represent our memory. You can improve our memory by going to find these answers (which the TOC helps with tremendously, thank you). But the nature of this mechanic has also come up before and was answered by Diog.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I don't care for it but I also don't participate in free questions as much as I use to so :shobon:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mind raped by a snake, how far enki has fallen (again)

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Olothreutes posted:

Travic, at least some of those questions are things we know the answer to, you just have to look it up. It's a thread mechanic in that Enkidel's memory isn't 100% perfect and he doesn't know everything. The "what color is this?" Sort of stuff is probably worth answering, but the whole "do we know who owns the land?" Is well known. No, we don't. In fact it came up recently, Diog reminded us that we don't ever have a mystical knowledge of who owns the land, and then someone asked again. Many of these answers are in the thread, you just have to go find them. This is to represent our memory. You can improve our memory by going to find these answers (which the TOC helps with tremendously, thank you). But the nature of this mechanic has also come up before and was answered by Diog.

I thought that too originally. But when I went back to look there are no descriptions.

As for the ownership thing that has been answered in the past. Amok's lands were labelled. Probably because he wanted them to be labelled and let everyone know he was large and in charge. So that means the owner can choose to display their ownership or not. Which is interesting. I mentioned it because someone asked and Diog was evasive even though it has been clearly answered.

And I'm glad you're getting use out of the TOC. I was worried no one else would find it helpful.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Travic posted:

I thought that too originally. But when I went back to look there are no descriptions.

As for the ownership thing that has been answered in the past. Amok's lands were labelled. Probably because he wanted them to be labelled and let everyone know he was large and in charge. So that means the owner can choose to display their ownership or not. Which is interesting. I mentioned it because someone asked and Diog was evasive even though it has been clearly answered.

And I'm glad you're getting use out of the TOC. I was worried no one else would find it helpful.

The TOC is a masterwork. I'm sure I'm not the only person who will use it, hell even Diog might. It's hard to keep track of all this stuff. I frequently end up going back to find stuff. Enough so that I know things like "Amok and crew starts around page 155 or so of diog's posts." And other junk like that. It's also possible that some of the answers are in the q&a stuff, not in updates proper. Those are much harder to look up, sadly, and often hidden in the middle of 800 other questions with no relevance to the situation. Tomn! :argh:

Maybe we should try this:

Diog, does the Orm own this land?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ish and Tuydia have both been here, right?

Clearly neither of them was mind controlled to find ORMWIFE.

We don't have to be either. We need to remember that they were here and are fine.

Metagame: man it would have been cool to have been here first, so we could have sent Once Consort to become ORMCONSORT

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Uh Tudiya and Rimush didn't even get down the pit, duder

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Olothreutes posted:

The TOC is a masterwork. I'm sure I'm not the only person who will use it, hell even Diog might. It's hard to keep track of all this stuff. I frequently end up going back to find stuff. Enough so that I know things like "Amok and crew starts around page 155 or so of diog's posts." And other junk like that. It's also possible that some of the answers are in the q&a stuff, not in updates proper. Those are much harder to look up, sadly, and often hidden in the middle of 800 other questions with no relevance to the situation. Tomn! :argh:

I though about adding Q&A, but...yeah. Tomn. Miss ya man!

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Count me as someone who doesn't give a poo poo about the description stuff Travic is complaining about

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Tsyni posted:

I feel like the worst way to go about it is to complain to Diog... At least more than once anyway. People have been complaining a bunch. Relax. Think about it from a different angle or wait and see.

Try and see outside of the baby tier box.

Unironically agree. Diog is a great gm/dm/writer and is running an awesome game :).

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I suspect the 'Do you?" 'does it' answers are essentially "I have described the sensation to you as best Enkidel can interpret it. I also did this when *thing* happened'. In this circumstance I cannot disclose if they are the same thing because that is beyond Enkidel's understanding/knowledge available." Like asking if it feels like the experience in Gebek. He described the feeling of being in Gebek. He has described the feeling we have now. Confirming or denying whether they are alike is not an empirical judgement of yes or no that Enkidel is actually capable of making.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Diog can we understand the Orm's words because of the way it talks, or because Amok flicked blood in our eye? Or something else?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Travic posted:

This has been happening for IRL years unfortunately.

The only solution is to be endlessly frustrating to Diog in return.

Time to channel Nyaa and Tomn for Eternal Question Time

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Olothreutes posted:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Diog can we understand the Orm's words because of the way it talks, or because Amok flicked blood in our eye? Or something else?

This is not a time for questions. This is a time for FINDING HER AND BRINGING HER HOME!

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Z the IVth posted:

The only solution is to be endlessly frustrating to Diog in return.

Time to channel Nyaa and Tomn for Eternal Question Time

Oh El. The nuclear option. Sandal questions as far as the eye can see.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

I'm about 99% sure that this 'issue' isn't actually an issue, just a misunderstanding? like, i could be wrong, but it really does seem to be mostly a question of how the questions are asked, less that diog isn't willing to tell us what our senses actually experience?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I found the solution! Since the geas is on us and the Sandals obviously have some kind of intelligence its time to let the Sandals be in the drivers seat.

Sandals what is your price for getting us out of this mess?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Magnusth posted:

I'm about 99% sure that this 'issue' isn't actually an issue, just a misunderstanding? like, i could be wrong, but it really does seem to be mostly a question of how the questions are asked, less that diog isn't willing to tell us what our senses actually experience?

I think you are right and we've even seen npcs do this like when Tudiya surprised ish by compelling him to speak of what happened while we were under gag order.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Magnusth posted:

If it was a misunderstanding Diog could clear it up very quickly. He is refusing to talk.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm going to laugh SO HARD when the net effect of all the RESIST votes is "now that your very reason for being has become as clear as the air before you, the only thoughts of resistance you can possibly consider are resisting any distractions or temptations from FINDING HER and BRINGING HER HOME! Any votes besides the provided A-to-Z options will go uncounted and not impact Enkidel's decision process."

Travic posted:

If it was a misunderstanding Diog could clear it up very quickly. He is refusing to talk.

He's refusing to talk because God doesn't owe you any explanations, buttercup.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
All the people joke voting to eat the goop during a will roll when very recently we faced a similar situation and Diog reminded us that every single votes counts is not making me very happy. Come on people, don't intentionally duck this up.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Travic posted:

Oh El. The nuclear option. Sandal questions as far as the eye can see.
Believe me when i say i have a lot to ask.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
What's more important, finding her, or bringing her home?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Magnusth posted:

Are you sure? Does it seem that way?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Azuth0667 posted:

I think you are right and we've even seen npcs do this like when Tudiya surprised ish by compelling him to speak of what happened while we were under gag order.

Tudiya didn't compel Ish to tell him anything. He demanded it, and because Tudiya is the King, Ish obeyed a direct order.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

McSpanky posted:

I'm going to laugh SO HARD when the net effect of all the RESIST votes is "now that your very reason for being has become as clear as the air before you, the only thoughts of resistance you can possibly consider are resisting any distractions or temptations from FINDING HER and BRINGING HER HOME! Any votes besides the provided A-to-Z options will go uncounted and not impact Enkidel's decision process."

He's refusing to talk because God doesn't owe you any explanations, buttercup.

He's the DM. He kind of does. That's what the DM does.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Travic posted:

He's the DM. He kind of does. That's what the DM does.

Not if the game rules demand otherwise? I don't understand why you insist on adhering to strict definitions of what he must and must not do.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

There Bias Two posted:

Not if the game rules demand otherwise? I don't understand why you insist on adhering to strict definitions of what he must and must not do.

Because he's the DM. If the DM stops providing information the whole thing breaks down. He's playing the game as a black hole of information. I'm surprised more people aren't upset. If in any of the role playing games I've ever played someone asked the DM a question and the response was "I dunno you tell me." He'd be out on his rear end so fast your head would spin.

And what's the point in playing if the DM can just make up a new rule and decline to answer any question he doesn't like?

It reminds me of the SCP site where writes will add [redacted] and [expunged] for pointless things just to be mysterious.

Travic fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 16, 2017

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
edit: double

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Maybe, just maybe, this is a mystery game all along and we have to find clues and solve puzzles.