Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

OptimusWang posted:

Oh drat, then I'm just too slow. I've used a brush for pulling little blurbs of wash out when it pools, but washing an entire model, then having time to go back and mess with the wash is faster than I can comfortably go right now.

Vallejo glaze medium or just some drying retarder can give you more time to clean up.

That said, buypainted does oil washes, not acrylic so he's cleaning up with mineral spirits afterwards, which you can basically do hours after going over the model with oil. So trying to replicate the method with acrylics or inks is gonna be frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm working on my first resin mini and it's still quite slick and shiny after giving it a good scrub with dish soap. Is that normal or do I need to wash it off better?

Unrelated question: would Vallejo Thinner Medium work better than water for making glazes (I know they make a glaze medium but, thinner medium is what I've got)? I'm getting ok results with water, but there's a bit of a coffee stain effect around the edges that I have to clean up.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm working on my first resin mini and it's still quite slick and shiny after giving it a good scrub with dish soap. Is that normal or do I need to wash it off better?

Unrelated question: would Vallejo Thinner Medium work better than water for making glazes (I know they make a glaze medium but, thinner medium is what I've got)? I'm getting ok results with water, but there's a bit of a coffee stain effect around the edges that I have to clean up.

Scrub more. Shiny is mould release, most likely. If its just a very smooth surface (not impossible) very very lightly sand it with the highest grit sandpaper you can find. Just enough to make it slightly matte.

For glazes you want acrylic medium to spread the pigment thinner.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Chalk up another one who just got babby's first airbrush and holy poo poo this was worth it just for the priming.

I've got a Badger 105, and there are two things making me kind of worried. One, the thing hisses gently at all times. Doesn't leak paint, but there's some kind of air escaping. Two, there looks like there should be an o-ring where the nozzle cap meets the brush body. Am I missing a part, and should I be worried about it?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

grassy gnoll posted:

Chalk up another one who just got babby's first airbrush and holy poo poo this was worth it just for the priming.

I've got a Badger 105, and there are two things making me kind of worried. One, the thing hisses gently at all times. Doesn't leak paint, but there's some kind of air escaping. Two, there looks like there should be an o-ring where the nozzle cap meets the brush body. Am I missing a part, and should I be worried about it?

If you've got air hissing, it might be the connections itself, in which case use some thread seal tape on all your screw connections.

As for the o-ring there, mine didn't come with one either and doesn't look like it needs it, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
So my dad sells motorcycles, and because of this he bought one of those snap-together kits (I think that's what their called?) of a WWII german BMW R75. (Specifically it's the Tamiya B.M.W R75 with sidecar in 1:35 scale)

He said the plan was to repaint it to be a the soviet knock-off the M-72 (I think), because my dad knows someone (a co-worker I think) that has one, and wants it painted orange, like the co-workers'.

But my dad doesn't really have time, and he passed it to me, the other day, and so I think it'll do it as a late birthday gift (today's his birthday actually)

I've never done these kits before. It mentions not having cement included, do I need some sort of cement/glue, or is that only recommended, or not really needed?

Do I need to paint the pieces before I put it together, or could I just paint it after? (I don't really have the orange paint yet, and I'd rather he pick out the exact color himself). Do I need to prime it? Thanks!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I have a question: what's the paintscheme of the "new" Cadians? Speaking about this:

I can do blackWAIT ARE THEY DARK GREEN? pants well enough, but I'm unsure if I could make the tunic, the green and the stripe.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Foolster41 posted:

So my dad sells motorcycles, and because of this he bought one of those snap-together kits (I think that's what their called?) of a WWII german BMW R75. (Specifically it's the Tamiya B.M.W R75 with sidecar in 1:35 scale)

He said the plan was to repaint it to be a the soviet knock-off the M-72 (I think), because my dad knows someone (a co-worker I think) that has one, and wants it painted orange, like the co-workers'.

But my dad doesn't really have time, and he passed it to me, the other day, and so I think it'll do it as a late birthday gift (today's his birthday actually)

I've never done these kits before. It mentions not having cement included, do I need some sort of cement/glue, or is that only recommended, or not really needed?

Do I need to paint the pieces before I put it together, or could I just paint it after? (I don't really have the orange paint yet, and I'd rather he pick out the exact color himself). Do I need to prime it? Thanks!

I'd recommend using plastic glue to make sure the seams bond together. The plastic on most models are pretty flimsy compared to GW plastic so you want to make sure it is as stable as possible.

The biggest thing I can recommend is figuring out how you want it to work. If you use oil based acrylics (like all those other heathen model builders) it comes with a whole set of its own rules and poo poo. Personally I've never liked traditional model paints. If you use water based, you definitely have an easier time doing separate parts in my opinion so you can shade/highlight your pieces. But to each their own and the usual caveats exist.

Were it may project, I would definitely mirror how I do table top figures. Figure out what goes where and how easy it is to put together (test fitting) so you know your steps. When push comes to shove, you're going to default to the easiest route you can to get it down eventually.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I finally finished this dude.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

JcDent posted:

I have a question: what's the paintscheme of the "new" Cadians? Speaking about this:

I can do blackWAIT ARE THEY DARK GREEN? pants well enough, but I'm unsure if I could make the tunic, the green and the stripe.

Going by the painting guide
Tunic: Zandri Dust -> Reikland Fleshshade -> Ushabti Bone -> Pallid Wych Flesh
Armour: Straken Green -> Reikland Fleshshade -> Straken Green -> Ogryn Camo
Khakis: Caliban Green -> Nuln Oil -> Caliban Green -> Loren Forest
The stripe is Tau Light Ochre

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Slimnoid posted:

If you've got air hissing, it might be the connections itself, in which case use some thread seal tape on all your screw connections.

As for the o-ring there, mine didn't come with one either and doesn't look like it needs it, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It sounds like it's coming from inside the brush body, like where the trigger depresses the valve to start airflow. Still, I'll tape the thing up and see if that gets it. Thanks!

JcDent posted:

In terms of the color or the actual stripe itself?

You can kind of cheat out the color by putting down a thinner white stripe after you've done the pants, then painting your orange over it. It'll pop, especially compared to how murky it'd look if you did straight orange over green.

If it's just the stripe itself, freehand that sucker. It's gonna go on wavy pants and it'll be too small to notice even if you do mess it up a little.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Going by the painting guide
Tunic: Zandri Dust -> Reikland Fleshshade -> Ushabti Bone -> Pallid Wych Flesh
Armour: Straken Green -> Reikland Fleshshade -> Straken Green -> Ogryn Camo
Khakis: Caliban Green -> Nuln Oil -> Caliban Green -> Loren Forest
The stripe is Tau Light Ochre

What painting guide would that be, kind diaznette sir?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

JcDent posted:

What painting guide would that be, kind diaznette sir?

The GW How to paint guide in this case:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-SE/How-to-Paint-Citadel-Miniatures-Astra-Militarum-Interactive-iBook-Edition

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Thank you!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

crime fighting hog posted:

I finally finished this dude.

That's a nice robut! Really clean, bright, well-defined color scheme with some nice contrast. (Also, I applaud your choice of disassembled correction-tape dispenser for the gear on the base.)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Dr. Gargunza posted:

That's a nice robut! Really clean, bright, well-defined color scheme with some nice contrast. (Also, I applaud your choice of disassembled correction-tape dispenser for the gear on the base.)

Thanks! Yeah I remember grabbing some random gears after busting some stuff apart. Works really well for the whole steampunk look for Warmachine.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone know where to find basing material like these? I could use some colorful flowers on my bases.

https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/05/12/painted-temple-of-ro-kan-reinforcements-for-bushido/

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyone know where to find basing material like these? I could use some colorful flowers on my bases.

https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2017/05/12/painted-temple-of-ro-kan-reinforcements-for-bushido/

drat, seconding. That's some beautiful basing. The red flowers look like these ones.

2nd edit: Found it. It's from Green stuff world.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 15, 2017

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

I bought this for making my own flowers http://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk/scatter-flock-ground-cover-trees-and-bushes/flowers/Blossom-Flowering-Fine-Turf
Just sprinkle over glue for nice flowers.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

:syoon:

That is going to be perfect for my Emperors Children! I'm thinking about getting a bit of extra fine pink glitter powder for extra :sparkles:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well, purple is a powerful color after all.

Thank you. Any idea for the reeds?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Well, purple is a powerful color after all.

Buy some long haired lovely paintbrushes, dip them in green and wipe them off, then cut the hairs to the length you want.
The store i linked also has rubberised coconut fibres which probably works too. Just search for coir.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Geoff Zahn posted:

Good call, thanks! If I'm looking at it right, a very watered down coat of nurgle's rot into the edges to soak it in between the rocks, and some earthshade wash over that on the edges to give it some contrast should make it look pretty good then?

The edge of the river is faded earthshade. Maybe two brush blending to the shore will be good.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Any tips for doing facepaint? Think I want to do Ziggy Stardust -style lightning bolts on the faces of some of my dark eldar. As a disclaimer I have really shaky hands and very little freehand experience. I'm one of those guys who's physically incapable of painting pupils.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Hra Mormo posted:

Any tips for doing facepaint? Think I want to do Ziggy Stardust -style lightning bolts on the faces of some of my dark eldar. As a disclaimer I have really shaky hands and very little freehand experience. I'm one of those guys who's physically incapable of painting pupils.

Especially if you've got shaky hands, make sure you include a Cleanup stage into your painting plan - expect to make some mess, and figure out how you're going to clean it up afterward. Especially with something like this, bit easier to draw the rough shape and then tidy up the edges than try to get it perfect in one pass.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Gamers Grass make all of the above mentioned tuffs, flowers and scatter

http://www.gamersgrass.com

I can also highly, highly recommend MIG's range if you're after something special

http://www.migjimenez.com/en/57-vegetation

Yeast fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 15, 2017

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Could be floral wire.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

This is going to sound strange, but does anyone have experience using acrylics designed for canvas on minis. I expect we will really have to thin them, but I have a supply of them.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Maigius posted:

This is going to sound strange, but does anyone have experience using acrylics designed for canvas on minis. I expect we will really have to thin them, but I have a supply of them.

You probably won't get a very good result. The pigments in them are really huge and designed for Large Things; miniatures paints have extremely fine pigment which works better on miniatures, and is a lot of the reason why they're so much more expensive than regular acrylic paint.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Working on my new crazy :catdrugs: black-light fluorescent super-vibrant underwater mantis shrimp tyranids, not totally done but pretty dang pleased with how its looking so far

Not perfect but its only a 'gaunt and I'm testing different colors, also I still need to do the details on the gun and claws. But yeah, pretty happy with this scheme. I think I'm going to stick with it and paint a lot of dudes like this. :)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Maigius posted:

There's one person on the Reaper forums who's a professional artist and mostly uses artist's acrylics. From what she's said, they're not bad, but they do need a lot more thinning and flow improver to really work properly. Definitely much better than, say, craft paints, which have very coarse pigments, but they're not really formulated for mini use either.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Continuing with my recent Ork Warbike efforts I just finished up a warboss on a warbike, with his "loyal" attack squig.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Maigius posted:

I'm using blick brand and liquitex artist acrylics that I use on canvas. I've been happy with the results. They do need thinned and mixed on a palette. Can't go wrong just trying it out.

Part of what you're paying for in GW paints are standardized shades so that your army is uniform and it also helps people who might not be artistically inclined can do a kind of paint by numbers approach and end up with a good looking army.
I will try to get some pictures of some stuff I've worked on.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Current WIP I'm working on. It's going to be an undead wyrm for Kings of War.

I still have a few small details to add--surface wounds and a couple arrows and/or swords embedded in the chest, and do something more fancy with the base--but he's mostly done enough to show off.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Painted my test model for my Tyranid scheme. I know I have parts that are not as clean as I want brush control wise but I'm new to painting these rounded edges everywhere and it takes more control than flat necron stuff.

Looking for C&C about colors/techniques before moving it on to the rest of the army. It's definitely vibrant on purpose because I wanted some strong color but I'm wondering if it's too intense. My goal was bone, teal, and red-orange.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ooooh, that Gargoyle looks nice!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Golden Daemon 2017 winners are up. There are a lot of GSC models this year.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Is Ushabti Bone different than Vallejo's Bonewhite, or identical to it? Curious as Bonewhite is slightly lighter than the old Bleached Bone, and not all of the new GW line matches the old despite what the conversion charts say.

Reason I ask is, GW discontinued the main color (Rotting Flesh) I was using for power armor a few years ago. I am using the little bit I have left, but won't be able to finish my army. I was considering switching to Bleached Bone as it seems to be a great replacement color, although lighter, but that is also drying up. I have some fresh Bonewhite, but it seems to be a bit lighter in color.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 17, 2017

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

General Olloth posted:

Painted my test model for my Tyranid scheme. I know I have parts that are not as clean as I want brush control wise but I'm new to painting these rounded edges everywhere and it takes more control than flat necron stuff.

Looking for C&C about colors/techniques before moving it on to the rest of the army. It's definitely vibrant on purpose because I wanted some strong color but I'm wondering if it's too intense. My goal was bone, teal, and red-orange.

What's the light blue color? I might steal that for an accent color on some of my spaceships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Geoff Zahn posted:

Is Ushabti Bone different than Vallejo's Bonewhite, or identical to it? Curious as Bonewhite is slightly lighter than the old Bleached Bone, and not all of the new GW line matches the old despite what the conversion charts say.

Reason I ask is, GW discontinued the main color (Rotting Flesh) I was using for power armor a few years ago. I am using the little bit I have left, but won't be able to finish my army. I was considering switching to Bleached Bone as it seems to be a great replacement color, although lighter, but that is also drying up. I have some fresh Bonewhite, but it seems to be a bit lighter in color.

I can't comment on the equivalency, but re: Rotting Flesh, I need that exact shade for my Steel Legion vehicles - there is no identical match from any other line, I have tried:

Vallejo, Citadel, P3, Scale75, Reaper and Minitare.

I ended up finding 5 unopened pots from a hobby store in New Zealand, and having them flown over. It's nuts.