Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

ElCondemn posted:

I think comedians must watch and enjoy reality TV, to normal people a fake reality TV show is no different than a "real" reality TV show.

From different comedians talking on podcasts, I gather they all watch reality TV because they want something to relax but watching something like comedies feels either like work or have too many people they like.

Bajillion is fine, but out of two full seasons that I watched, I remember...like 3 funny scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Bajillion seems like the type of show that needs to dramatically change by season two or three in order to remain interesting.

Since I've not seen any big reactions to later seasons, I'm assuming this did not happen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, definitely have heard about industry folk in general watching a ton of reality TV across the board. It pops up so much with great comics that I wish I shared their reference point. But I don't.

ElCondemn posted:

I think comedians must watch and enjoy reality TV, to normal people a fake reality TV show is no different than a "real" reality TV show.

This, 100 percent - to me, a parody of a grating and annoying thing I have no reference point for is still just grating and annoying. It's also why I didn't like Kroll Show all that much.

....or Reality Show Show.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
reality tv...popular..?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hm. I think I'd explain HH to someone new as "it's like two 12 year olds suddenly jumped into the minds of a couple of Hollywood insider talkshow hosts and have to desperately fake it. Luckily, everyone they encounter is also a 12 year old desperately faking it. Except the engineers, who reluctantly play along in pretending they believe the children."

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, definitely have heard about industry folk in general watching a ton of reality TV across the board. It pops up so much with great comics that I wish I shared their reference point. But I don't.

This, 100 percent - to me, a parody of a grating and annoying thing I have no reference point for is still just grating and annoying. It's also why I didn't like Kroll Show all that much.

....or Reality Show Show.

Wait so you should only parody things you like already?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/872149072240562176

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Asked and answered!

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

ArtVandelay posted:

So I finally started watch Bajillion. Barely got through the first 5 episodes. I'm not sure I can keep going. How can so many incredibly talented and funny people make a show so shockingly unfunny. I desperately want to like it, but it's just completely devoid of laughs.

That's kind of how I feel about Kulap in general :ohdear:

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
My scrubs waiver expires this year...

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It needs to stop, I hung out the side of my best friend's ride that ONE TIME and I'm on the list forever, it's bullshit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Wait so you should only parody things you like already?

Nah, just things I have any cultural reference point for whatsoever.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

feedmyleg posted:

Nah, just things I have any cultural reference point for whatsoever.

So maybe it just wasn't made for you. Other people have that reference point. And you're telling me you've literally never watched one reality show ever?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I agree, I'm not saying these things are bad, I'm saying that they weren't made for me.

I really haven't seen many episodes of reality shows, and the ones I have seen were a decade ago. I listened to a RSS episode about Survivor and was wildly confused the entire time. Then everyone in the thread said it was my fault for not knowing how immunity worked or whatever.

e: I don't even own a television

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 7, 2017

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Reality tv can be the most transcendental genre of television when its really really good, but you usually have to shuffle through a bunch of crap and its only really the kinda game showy competition ones that ever reach these heights.

Watch The Genius (its south korean) and Terrace House.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
This new HH episode made me laugh quite a bit, but I'd really like to hear one with the boys talking to Mookie Blaylock.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Hollywood Handbook is good and if you don't like it, well, WOW

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
Have you noticed that the archives are available again? At least on podcast addict.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Flaskraven posted:

Have you noticed that the archives are available again? At least on podcast addict.

Interesting. I did a random check of old HHs and they all seemed to play in iTunes. Sorry Apple Podcasts.

Edit: doesn't seem to apply to other podcasts.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
[Deleted]

Edit: This was a bad post.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 12, 2017

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the new hollywood handbook is very good, just like every week. it is the best podcast.

edit: oh also this is the last episode

cams fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 13, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't listened yet but agreed on both points

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I don't really listen to Hollywood Handbook much, but I love hearing Sean and Hayes talk introspectivly about themselves on other podcasts. I'm a big fan of people making speeches at Sean's wedding about how they aren't sure if he actually likes them, or on doughboys Sean talking about his girlfriend ordering food with Hayes and it ends up seeming like they're the couple instead of Sean. Just two bizarre people.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Sean's wife Steffi Graf?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Sean's wife Steffi Graf?

i believe the last episode with mookie established that they are now single in canon

doesn't matter cause this one was the last episode

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

i believe the last episode with mookie established that they are now single in canon

doesn't matter cause this one was the last episode

Remember that episode took place in the past.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
http://howl.fm/audio/46898/the-role-of-the-artist
Hollywood Masterclass Episode 1 is out "The Role of The Artist"

It's amazing, kind of like a mix between Inside the Actors Studio and UCB Inside The Master Class, but with the Hollywood Handbook twist.

e: I'll just post the glowing review by Sean

Shonk Lemons posted:

Please talk about talk about your experience, without spoiling anything that would make it so people wouldn't pay money for it, you gotta pay money for this podcast, most podcasts are free, this one is about the same quality, maybe worse, and this one cost money, so please get involved with that

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 15, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Matt Besser has no idea what the word mope means

e: great premise, though, and so far it's great. Unbeatable lineup.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 15, 2017

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yeah I'm only halfway through and it's so good. The last group of episodes they did like this were all great so I have high hopes for this.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

It's incredible to me that you can still just download the episodes for free directly from the Howl site... how incompetent can they be

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Unmerciful posted:

It's incredible to me that you can still just download the episodes for free directly from the Howl site... how incompetent can they be

I swear this was fixed a while back. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: It doesn't seem to work with archived shows like the Reality Show Show. Bummer.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 15, 2017

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Tatumje posted:

I swear this was fixed a while back. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: It doesn't seem to work with archived shows like the Reality Show Show. Bummer.

seems like it works fine with those as well, right click > Inspect on the play button of the episode you want and it should show the download link

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It works!

The wall only exists in our hearts.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Unmerciful posted:

Like I can download new stuff without being a howl member?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The model is simple. The honed, time tested product that you know and love will continue to be completely free. A weird side project that you don't care about will cost money.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Snowmankilla posted:

Like I can download new stuff without being a howl member?

Yes

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Nice. I couldn't figure it out, but I will try again.

I wish they would just have a potronus or whatever it's called so I could give them 5 bucks a month vs howl.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, i4h was terrific this week. Would encourage​ any lapsed listeners or skeptics to check it out. It's the sort of thing I wish they did more often, and it's the culmination of all the non-Harold/Armando experiments they've tried. What I sort of wish the podcast always did.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Wait, is this that sitcom stuff again? Because yeah that poo poo is an incredible format and its been really neat to hear them work it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That original trilogy will never be topped IMO, but the format is great and I'm glad he's going back to it. Plus, Gabrus Jessica McKenna and Eugene Cordero, it'd be impossible to not be funny.