Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm pretty sure "Bat Guano" was an allusion to the phrase "bat poo poo crazy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Hughlander posted:

King Kong - All for the love of a gril

It was barbecue killed the beast.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hughlander posted:

One thing I really liked on Dr. Strangelove is every character name is some sort of sexual reference / innuendo. Just to really drive home the masculine/sex = war message.

Merkin - Pubic Wig

Even better, I believe his full name is Muffy Merkin.

E: Just checked, it's Merkin Muffley :v:

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Men in Tights is good and funny. Dave Chappelle doesn't have a better film role (maybe Blue Streak or Half Baked come close, but still).

Naked Gun is fantastic, and I have a soft spot for Wrongfully Accused because the Fugitive is so good.

My favourite scene from WA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOJHXDgIq9w

When I first saw it as a kid I think I injured something from laughing so hard. Watching it now, it's still very good and Leslie Neilson is a (Canadian) national treasure who should be on one of our bills (get rid of one of the more racist Prime Ministers maybe)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pook Good Mook posted:

George C Scott was a weird dude.

Have you ever seen Hardcore? Probably shouldn't discuss that movie in this thread because there is NOTHING subtle about that movie.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Krispy Kareem posted:

So many films don't hold up. Even Blazing Saddles suffers because the N word stopped being hilarious around 1987.

I beg to differ, in the right context. "THE NEW SHERRIFF IS A N-*bongggg*" for instance.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I beg to differ, in the right context. "THE NEW SHERRIFF IS A N-*bongggg*" for instance.

"The sheriff is near!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Isn't anyone going to help that poor man!?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Lili Von Schtupt is probably one of my favourite characters. "I've been viz THOUSANDS of men! Again and again! They all sing the same tune. They start with Byron and Shelley, then Jump on my belly and BUST my BALLOONS!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shut up you Teutonic Twat! How anyone can say Blazing Saddles doesn't hold up clearly hasn't watched it in a while. And Spaceballs can be forgiven all of its failed jokes for it's Alien parody.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Jun 15, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mandrake is an aphrodisiac? I thought it just killed people.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

Mandrake is an aphrodisiac? I thought it just killed people.

I mostly remember it from a gross Heavy Metal comic and uh Pan's Labyrinth. The mythological one comes from the last jizz of a hanged man iirc.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

syscall girl posted:

I mostly remember it from a gross Heavy Metal comic and uh Pan's Labyrinth. The mythological one comes from the last jizz of a hanged man iirc.

That is pretty metal though

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Schneider Inside Her posted:

That is pretty metal though

It was a good comic

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Krispy Kareem posted:

So many films don't hold up. Even Blazing Saddles suffers because the N word stopped being hilarious around 1987.

Blazing Saddles is about the absurdity of racism though? That's why the main character is basically the only one who's not an idiot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The sheriff is so talented and the townspeople are so dumb

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Blazing Saddles is about the absurdity of racism though? That's why the main character is basically the only one who's not an idiot.

Yes, but racism was pretty prevalent in 1970's cinema. I'm sure that's just a reflection on 1970's America, but it's still pretty jarring to watch now.

Blazing Saddles may or may not have been trying to flip that word on its head, but it wasn't like a lot of movies weren't using it unironically.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Spaceballs can be forgiven all of its failed jokes for it's Alien parody.
That and the "when will then be now?" scene.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
I was dubious about Blazing Saddles being in the subtle movie thread until I remembered this movie.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pilchenstein posted:

That and the "when will then be now?" scene.

Sir, the radar appears to be jammed!

Raspberry!!!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Sir, the radar appears to be jammed!

Raspberry!!!

"That's not all he's lost."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"Wr captured their stunt doubles!" gets a Sensible Chuckle.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Spaceballs da Flamethrowa!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really like the theology in the Daniel Radcliffe movie Horns:The titular curse is a explicitly a punishment for raging against God's will and trashing his late girlfriends shrine while very drunk, but also gives him the tools that he needs to finally get closure and get some good old fashioned Old-Testament style Justice. That plus him being allowed in heaven despite succumbing completely to his Devil side so that he can be with his girlfriend forever speaks to the idea that God in this movie is straddling the line between Vengeful and Merciful - it does a really good job with the old idea that He works in "mysterious ways", and makes him being vengeful and kind simultaneously easier to swallow - it's like He's saying "Look, you really shouldn't have done that, but you have a really genuine beef and it was a lovely situation, so i'll throw you a bone mate!"

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Goodfellas is on TV. I never noticed that in the scene where they introduce Maury (the neurotic guy who owns the toupee store) it's a commercial for his toupees. In the commercial he's saying how his toupees stay on even when wet and he jumps in a pool. There's a quick cut (in the commercial) from the splash to him standing in the shallow end, his body is wet but the toupee is 100% dry (because they clearly just put on a dry toupee during the cut).

It's a brilliant little bit of character development, especially because the movie makes some efforts to show that aside from hanging out with bad people, the viewer might think that Maury is a "good person."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Weird! I just now watched it on Netflix with my brother!

Anyway I've seen it like 20+ times and only today did I realize that when they're all coked up and "getting started on dinner early", it's fuckin 9am

Not that subtle though, I guess I'm just a bit slow

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

Anyway I've seen it like 20+ times and only today did I realize that when they're all coked up and "getting started on dinner early", it's fuckin 9am

That's just how Italians cook.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

WampaLord posted:

That's just how Italians cook.

Yea, if your red sauce doesn't cook for at least 8 hours it's poo poo.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

syscall girl posted:

loving hell. David Carradine's house must be overgrown.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Drunken Baker posted:

loving hell. David Carradine's house must be overgrown.

Last

It's just some hotel in Thailand where the housekeeping staff keep drawing straws to see who will go and pull up the latest screaming root vegetable

e: wait this could start a language dispute about harvard commas or something though

last jizz of a hanged man could mean he jizzed multiple times while hanging himself multiple times and only the last one roots, or that it's the ffffff

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tumble posted:

Yea, if your red sauce doesn't cook for at least 8 hours it's poo poo.

Goddamn. I usually don't bother with more than an hour at the most

Also their dinner is at like 10:30 pm so that's a p deece 13 hour sauce

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Considering how many real takes Kubrick made his actors perform, I kind of doubt he put too many "practice takes" in the movie. Maybe he wasn't as anal back then.

Famously in the Shining, he would have Nicholson do a "joke take" of him being overly, jovially creepy instead of just murderous. Then they would do many takes of the serious stuff until Kubrick was satisfied, dozens of takes later, then he used the joke takes because he liked them most.

Either he manipulates actors to get one good take then grinds them to dust via exhaustion, or he just really didn't get the non-joke-take he was looking for. Either way, Kubrick had a history of it

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Goodfellas is on TV. I never noticed that in the scene where they introduce Maury (the neurotic guy who owns the toupee store) it's a commercial for his toupees. In the commercial he's saying how his toupees stay on even when wet and he jumps in a pool. There's a quick cut (in the commercial) from the splash to him standing in the shallow end, his body is wet but the toupee is 100% dry (because they clearly just put on a dry toupee during the cut).

It's a brilliant little bit of character development, especially because the movie makes some efforts to show that aside from hanging out with bad people, the viewer might think that Maury is a "good person."

Also, his toupee slips off instantly once Robert De Niro starts grabbing him, further showing that his commercial is full of poo poo. (I think everyone noticed this one though)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Talking in the IIMM thread reminded me of something that was in Wonder Woman that I liked. The sniper says it's easier to shoot someone if you can't see their face. Then when he needs to countersnipe, he can't shoot because he sees the man's face.. So far so obvious, though I was almost impressed that someone in the movie didn't point this out out-loud. Later in the third act, he is shooting people left and right at close range but having no difficulties. This is at least in part because all the bad guys are wearing gas masks to protect them from the super alchemy death gas.

Again, "subtle" really only in the context of comic book movie. More like the movie version of the "little things in games" kind of thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We were discussing the Nic Cage National Treasure movies in CD and it turns out there's a bunch of subtle moments in those films

quote:

The guy who gets his car stolen by Ed Harris in London is the same guy who got his car stolen by Sean Connery in The Rock, another of Jerry Bruckheimer's movies which also starred Nicholas Cage and Ed Harris.

Also all the main characters are named after founding fathers, the bad guys are named after British generals from the Revolutionary War, when the bad guys are making their plans they're in the Watergate hotel, etc etc..

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

marshmallow creep posted:

Talking in the IIMM thread reminded me of something that was in Wonder Woman that I liked. The sniper says it's easier to shoot someone if you can't see their face. Then when he needs to countersnipe, he can't shoot because he sees the man's face.. So far so obvious, though I was almost impressed that someone in the movie didn't point this out out-loud. Later in the third act, he is shooting people left and right at close range but having no difficulties. This is at least in part because all the bad guys are wearing gas masks to protect them from the super alchemy death gas.

Again, "subtle" really only in the context of comic book movie. More like the movie version of the "little things in games" kind of thing.

Yea, that was really great to show Diana's idea of good and evil. She has no problem getting right up in their faces and wrecking the Germans cause they're "corrupted" by Ares. It's okay.

Sniper Scot on the other hand...

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

MariusLecter posted:

Yea, that was really great to show Diana's idea of good and evil. She has no problem getting right up in their faces and wrecking the Germans cause they're "corrupted" by Ares. It's okay.

Sniper Scot on the other hand...

That said, I'm pretty sure Diana doesn't actually use her sword until after the village gets bombed. Until then she seems mostly content with hitting dudes until they get out of her way and smacking them with her shield. Like, she understands that this is a war and these guys need to be stopped but she's at least trying to be nonlethal. Until she gets mad, anyway.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Polaron posted:

That said, I'm pretty sure Diana doesn't actually use her sword until after the village gets bombed. Until then she seems mostly content with hitting dudes until they get out of her way and smacking them with her shield. Like, she understands that this is a war and these guys need to be stopped but she's at least trying to be nonlethal. Until she gets mad, anyway.

I quite liked that her main combat strategy in the early stages was almost exclusively anti-weapon stuff- breaking guns and destroying machine gun emplacements, loving up dudes' footing and the like.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

An old one - I think my favourite character in Mary Poppins, in retrospect, may be Mrs Banks, because her suffragette movements are understated, and treated kind of like a joke certainly, but her effectiveness is shown. She knows how to play a situation. During Step In Time, for everyone else the Chimney Sweep Chorus just happens to them - the maid and Mr Banks both accidentally seed a verse without realising it then get stuck in the dance trying to escape - Mrs Banks sees this and intentionally seeds the next verse. You can see a devious little grin as she recognises the situation and makes brief use of it by setting the phrase for the next verse: VOTES FOR WOMEN!

Votes for Women step in time...

She also leads the dance for that verse as well if i remember correctly.

She's actually kind of badass. I kind of want to see one of her suffragette meetings to see how effective she really is at rallying her girls. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BioEnchanted posted:

An old one - I think my favourite character in Mary Poppins, in retrospect, may be Mrs Banks, because her suffragette movements are understated, and treated kind of like a joke certainly, but her effectiveness is shown. She knows how to play a situation. During Step In Time, for everyone else the Chimney Sweep Chorus just happens to them - the maid and Mr Banks both accidentally seed a verse without realising it then get stuck in the dance trying to escape - Mrs Banks sees this and intentionally seeds the next verse. You can see a devious little grin as she recognises the situation and makes brief use of it by setting the phrase for the next verse: VOTES FOR WOMEN!

Votes for Women step in time...

She also leads the dance for that verse as well if i remember correctly.

She's actually kind of badass. I kind of want to see one of her suffragette meetings to see how effective she really is at rallying her girls. :3:

I have two young daughters and as such have watched Mary Poppins about 20 times in the past year and I've never noticed this. Nice one.