Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Palpek posted:

Your best bet for playing multiplayer with well-adjusted people is playing with goons, that's how dire things are.
They're not necessarily any better when it comes to using slurs, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Not wanting to play games with assholes doesn't make you spineless

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Palpek posted:

Your best bet for playing multiplayer with well-adjusted people is playing with goons, that's how dire things are.

COCKS COCKS COCKS

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Try that game's subreddit for enthusiastic bros? Hard to say if there's any good foolproof way to not find slur slinging jerks.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

When i've played with goons it's mostly been alright, though lately it's been more goofy coop stuff like edf and monhun than serious shoot manners. Find a thread for the game and see if they have a discord or a group or whatever.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

basalt posted:

How does everyone go about meeting well-adjusted people to play multi-player games with? Or are you expected to adjust to the constant hostility if you don't have a group of friends available to play with you? I've lost count of the number of times I went to send a friend request to someone after a rousing duel in Dark Souls only to discover something horrifying about them. In games with text-based chat my interactions often begin and end with people using hateful slurs. My personal experiences combined with the gaming community's questionable reputation have made me increasingly anxious to the point where I'm concerned I've become too sensitive, but at the same time, I don't want to spend my spare time with people who get their jollies from disparaging various minority groups. It may just be that video games are something I'll have to enjoy on my own.

I know I probably sound spineless, and a comedy forum largely born from a shared interest in making fun of people may be the worst place to ask something like this, but I really have no idea where else to go. Nobody I know in real life has enough interest in video games to have any sort of opinion about this.

For what it's worth, I have the exact same issue; I love playing games with people but it's frightfully hard to find fun, interesting people who aren't going to keep calling people faggots or whatever.

It's frustrating.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Join a goon discord and propose a game to play.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

basalt posted:

How does everyone go about meeting well-adjusted people to play multi-player games with? Or are you expected to adjust to the constant hostility if you don't have a group of friends available to play with you? I've lost count of the number of times I went to send a friend request to someone after a rousing duel in Dark Souls only to discover something horrifying about them. In games with text-based chat my interactions often begin and end with people using hateful slurs. My personal experiences combined with the gaming community's questionable reputation have made me increasingly anxious to the point where I'm concerned I've become too sensitive, but at the same time, I don't want to spend my spare time with people who get their jollies from disparaging various minority groups. It may just be that video games are something I'll have to enjoy on my own.

I know I probably sound spineless, and a comedy forum largely born from a shared interest in making fun of people may be the worst place to ask something like this, but I really have no idea where else to go. Nobody I know in real life has enough interest in video games to have any sort of opinion about this.

Be worse than them. Use slurs and insults so vile that you cow them into normalcy.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i am going to be one of the people who buys the xbox duke controller

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

basalt posted:

Play fighting games with the Imp zone crowd of professionals ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been in Europe for over ten days and found out on day 1 that the 3DS charger doesn't work with converter plugs because of voltage crap and my life has been a gameless living hell ever since. Tomorrow morning, I return to the land of the free, thankfully

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

In Training posted:

I've been in Europe for over ten days and found out on day 1 that the 3DS charger doesn't work with converter plugs because of voltage crap and my life has been a gameless living hell ever since. Tomorrow morning, I return to the land of the free, thankfully

You fool, you didn't pick up a converter at the duty free shop??

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like if I was that desperate, I would have just... Bought a charger in Europe. They have those there, right?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In Training posted:

I feel you, those 10 days must have been hell.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they don't even have the same games we have over there. european video games are like tetris clones about stacking frogs on stumps and throwing wood balls at serpents

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

You fool, you didn't pick up a converter at the duty free shop??

I did, but the 3DS charger just doesn't work when I plug it in. Laptop and phone chargers were fine. It's weird

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Snak posted:

I feel like if I was that desperate, I would have just... Bought a charger in Europe. They have those there, right?

We don't use electricity in Europe

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TFW the red light starts blinking 15 minutes into a Picross 3D Round 2 puzzle

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Andrast posted:

We don't use electricity in Europe
This. It's why I haven't bought a 3DS.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I just buy another 3DS when the battery runs out

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

basalt posted:

You could always try something like this this.

I haven't ever actually played with them, but it seems like there are always people looking for other chill people to play some games. You could try to put something together yourself.

Personally I've become super anxious about playing multiplayer games ever since I had a kid. I just feel like a dick constantly bailing out in the middle of a game because my kid broke her toy, stubbed a toe, or just wants to hang out with her dad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

they don't even have the same games we have over there. european video games are like tetris clones about stacking frogs on stumps and throwing wood balls at serpents

I heard that those Asterix games were pretty good

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there's signs at the airport asking you not to talk about undertale or super meat boy or zelda in europe because they can't handle it. england found out about majora's mask recently and it cause them to leave the eu

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I remember once when I was playing cs: source late at night, back after I failed out of college, it came up on voice chat that on of the guys on the server lived in Canada.

This blew the mind of this other guy, and he started asking all these questions. My favorite was "Do you have different movie than us(in the US? Like do you grt the same movies as us? Like do they have Mission Impossible up there? Like do you have the same actors? Like is Tom Cruise in your movies?"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

oddium posted:

european mega man is like american mega man, but all of his games are this. it's hosed up

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Good afternoon everybody, how's it shakin

I'm thinking of playing a game, dunno what but I'll think of something. Maybe some Hyrule Warriors or maybe some Picross Touch, dunno. I'm tempted to try to do a stream but I don't like doing those when it's just me talking and none of my discord buds are around at the moment to be in a call so eh, that's probably not gonna happen.

How've you folks been?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I went to the Shengen Museum which is built on the spot where the EU was formed and in their little kiosks they have one dedicated to contraband material confiscated at the Belgian border and the centerpiece is a stack of bootleg copies of GUN for PS2

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

european mega man is like american mega man, but all of his games are this. it's hosed up

Google is funny sometimes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of chargers, folks here who have a PS4 or at least a dualshock 4: How do you charge the thing? I have never gotten either of my two dualshock 4's to hold a charge from anything but the 'official' PS4 micro-usb-to-usb cable connected to my PC. I've tried other micro-to-usb's, I've tried my phone charger, I've tried charging them from the wall. It seems to charge them like halfway and then just stop. If I unplug them and connect them again, it sometimes resumes charging them but that's a pain.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

oddium posted:

england found out about majora's mask recently and it cause them to leave the eu

fair response

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of chargers, folks here who have a PS4 or at least a dualshock 4: How do you charge the thing? I have never gotten either of my two dualshock 4's to hold a charge from anything but the 'official' PS4 micro-usb-to-usb cable connected to my PC. I've tried other micro-to-usb's, I've tried my phone charger, I've tried charging them from the wall. It seems to charge them like halfway and then just stop. If I unplug them and connect them again, it sometimes resumes charging them but that's a pain.

i plug it into my PlayStation 4 or Personal Computer

also my vita adapter

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I have 3 controllers (for multiplayer reasons) and a charging dock and I just rotate through them. They're still good for like 4 hours, so only on some kind of weekend gaming bender do I need to switch during a session.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ostentatious posted:

i plug it into my PlayStation 4 or Personal Computer

also my vita adapter

Yeah but my 'official' cable is getting old and lovely and only works from certain angles and if I can avoid buying another one I wanna

Snak posted:

I have 3 controllers (for multiplayer reasons) and a charging dock and I just rotate through them. They're still good for like 4 hours, so only on some kind of weekend gaming bender do I need to switch during a session.

I actually might do this just for the convenience of it though. :thunk:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vita charger is my go to for my ds4's

Figured out why i was using so many potions in ffxv. Must have missed the one time they mention that the royal weapons drain your health. Mea culpa, but the game is so dull the blame is still on them for mentioning it once in a sea of poo poo i tuned out.

Definitely my most overrated big game of the past 12 months.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

basalt posted:

How does everyone go about meeting well-adjusted people to play multi-player games with?

I've met some pretty well adjusted people to game with here on these forums. I usually go to the thread for the game and throw in my PSN or Steam ID, or add a bunch of people if there's a list in the op. What's fun is that on the PS4 you can see if people are in a party and always seem cool with me popping in uninvited. There are a few people who I've started playing with years ago and we still get time here and there, and we catch up on advancements in our personal lives while shooting zombies or aliens. I have 190 friends on PSN and I only know like 10 of them irl. A lot of them I don't remember where they came from and I don't bother, but the goons are good people.

Palpek posted:

Maybe we should make an official av thread. That way it wouldn't be only for you but for other people too. I made one in The Imp Zone years ago.

Yeah, make a video game at thread. I like to mix up my av for the holidays and I'd like like to see some games posters' takes on a rock.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
buttpost, sorry!

Bogart fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 17, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm not playing E.Y.E anymore. You have to walk like ten miles between objectives and fight your way through mobs of infinitely-spawning enemies along the way. Also you think you're going in the right direction the first time? WRONG. Backtrack for five minutes and find another route! There's no quick saving and I ran out of respawns near the end of one long and confusing mission and have to do it again.

gently caress this game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really have never understood why people like EYE. It's like you're playing a video game version of a fever dream.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Where's Downwell 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I really have never understood why people like EYE. It's like you're playing a video game version of a fever dream.

You just explained yourself why people like it

• Locked thread