Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Niwrad posted:

They just seem incredibly valuable. Unprotected picks from bad teams. There's a decent chance that Lakers pick is top-5 next year and that Kings pick is top-3. And this doesn't seem like a draft with a huge gap between players on top to move up two spots.

I think it makes sense. Fultz and Jackson are definitely two players where one GM could see them as more or less equal prospects, and another could see a huge gulf between them. Fultz is a great fit for Philly's needs, and Jackson is the type of prospect that Ainge seems to really like.

Hinkie-worshippers like to give Colangelo poo poo, but I think the Sixers are at the point where they can overpay for what they think is the Last Piece before they push toward contention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
who fathoms with a pole instead of a sounding line y'all sailors are crazy I'm never setting foot aboard your ships

xbilkis posted:

Hinkie-worshippers like to give Colangelo poo poo, but I think the Sixers are at the point where they can overpay for what they think is the Last Piece before they push toward contention.

this seems premature to me

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

who fathoms with a pole instead of a sounding line y'all sailors are crazy I'm never setting foot aboard your ships

It's gotta be a really big pole and it's fine. The biggest pole you ever seen.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

I think it makes sense. Fultz and Jackson are definitely two players where one GM could see them as more or less equal prospects, and another could see a huge gulf between them. Fultz is a great fit for Philly's needs, and Jackson is the type of prospect that Ainge seems to really like.

If they are real high on Fultz I get it. I still think if you want a championship, you need a generational talent. The Lakers and Kings pick are a couple more shots at getting that player.

Philly won 28 games last year. I don't think they can afford to overpay.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Niwrad posted:

Philly won 28 games last year. I don't think they can afford to overpay.

Counterpoint: Their "Big 3" played 30 games combined in the NBA. It is all risky.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/876130480474738688

I'd be fine with it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Niwrad posted:

They just seem incredibly valuable. Unprotected picks from bad teams. There's a decent chance that Lakers pick is top-5 next year and that Kings pick is top-3. And this doesn't seem like a draft with a huge gap between players on top to move up two spots.

2018 is shaping up to be frontcourt heavy, which is what the Sixers dont need if they believe in the existing core. And I have full faith in Magic blowing his load and signing Rudy Gay to lead the Lakers to the 8th worst record.

And every player bar Fultz has a severe weakness that could derail his career

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

EvanTH posted:

I don't think they should be signing Lowry to a huge deal just to try to get the 8th seed in the East or anything. They'll probably benefit from another year or two of mid-to-late lottery picks to flesh out the roster as their young guys learn to play together (and stay healthy, hopefully). But if they think Fultz is a star-level player, they have Embiid, Simmons and Fultz all with franchise centerpiece potential. At a certain point, you should probably get antsy to get out of the high lottery, and I think the 76ers are in a place where they can do so.

Plus they'll always have the Kings 2019 pick to fall back on if one of their young players flames out!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Summer League is gonna be so loving good this year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm very much hoping this sandcastle phili built on the shoreline holds up and becomes a new standard of excellence

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

EvanTH posted:

He's a good enough player+fit that I'm okay with a slight overpay, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a series of protections on the Lakers pick to avoid a potentially massive overpay.

Like CBM said, it'll take more than some seconds to compensate for dropping from 1-3, but, at the same time, I think the talent gap between Fultz and Jackson isn't large enough to justify giving up Doncic, Bamba, or Porter Jr.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He's a good enough player+fit that I'm okay with a slight overpay, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a series of protections on the Lakers pick to avoid a potentially massive overpay.

Like CBM said, it'll take more than some seconds to compensate for dropping from 1-3, but, at the same time, I think the talent gap between Fultz and Jackson isn't large enough to justify giving up Doncic, Bamba, or Porter Jr.

I think Fultz is leagues better than Jackson. And I dont like the fit of Bamba or Porter

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I think Fultz is leagues better than Jackson. And I dont like the fit of Bamba or Porter

You don't necessarily have to keep Bamba, Porter, et al.

Also
https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/876138789378433024

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Fultz is good and if phili gets him they should be happy and so should the fans

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You don't necessarily have to keep Bamba, Porter, et al.

Also
https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/876138789378433024

Drafting Bamba et al only to trade then later is basically whats happening already with the Lakers pick?

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Metapod posted:

I'm very much hoping this sandcastle phili built on the shoreline holds up and becomes a new standard of excellence

You are a good man

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
So how do you split up minutes between Saric and Simmons? Do you run Saric off the bench as a sparkplug or can one of them slide to SF? Neither seems ideal to me.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

dokmo posted:

This is going to be the summer league that makes me think Brussino has become a better player than he is.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Go to summer league where you can see Glen Rice Jr. drop a billion points on the Spurs and you think the Wiz have a new starter

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Ben Simmons was very fun in Summer League last year

I hope he's gonna be good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

attackmole posted:

So how do you split up minutes between Saric and Simmons? Do you run Saric off the bench as a sparkplug or can one of them slide to SF? Neither seems ideal to me.

There will be enough minutes for both of them. You can play them both at the F spot against teams that don't have SF who are major threats and you can even go small with no center at other times. I'd probably plan on bringing Saric off the bench, but you can easily find 30 minutes for him.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Did you guys know Darius Miles filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy. That guy made about 30m after taxes, 61m total salary. Money spends. People will take all the money you give them and not think twice. Frightening

WhyteRyce posted:

Go to summer league where you can see Glen Rice Jr. drop a billion points on the Spurs and you think the Wiz have a new starter

He's going to follow Tim Hardaway Jr and become a volume scorer for the Hawks

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

tanglewood1420 posted:

Ben Simmons was very fun in Summer League last year

I hope he's gonna be good.

the release on that pass is so quick it looks like a video game move

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

attackmole posted:

Saric looks like a perfect fit to be 6th man leading the bench mob.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Saric looks like a perfect fit to be 6th man leading the bench mob.

I think the interchangeability is great for the Sixers, whenever Simmons is on the bench they can still run a playmaking big. I think they'll have healthy Thiago Splitter, you can start putting together lineups that look decent, they're going to be an NBA team if Embiid and Simmons are healthy.

Fultz/Henderson/Covington/Simmons/Embiid, Sergio Rodriguez(if they re-sign him)/Hot Sauce-Timothe/Saric/Splitter(if they re-sign him)or Jahlil Okafor, Then you have Richaun Holmes who's solid, Jerryd Bayless if he's ever healthy, that's bad NBA team caliber. The Nets are exponentially worse, despite having the future NBA star Spencer Dinwiddie and current ALL STAR SNUB Sean Kilpatrick and signing Kentavious Caldwell Pope to a max offer sheet.

If they want to be bad again, they'll let Rodriguez sign with the Rockets and Splitter return to the Spurs, be safely in the bottom 3.
They still have to deal with Emeka's cousin Jahlil. But it's rough because Greg Monroe is on the market, and he rebounds and gets steals, passes really well, if you're shopping for a post up center for your bench or to be your starter if you have some rim protecting 4 and you aren't reaching for the stars. There are also a few post up bigs in the draft that can be had for a low low price. Not to minimize how good at Jahlil is at scoring, but moving him before the trade deadline probably would have gotten them a better return.

I feel like Colangelo is under some league mandate to spend money in free agency, so they'll sign somebody to something

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 17, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

dokmo posted:

What a world where Summer League is looked forward to more than the NBA finals. Suck on that KD you piece of dung.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Mr. Mambold posted:

What a world where Summer League is looked forward to more than the NBA finals. Suck on that KD you piece of dung.

Every June 28 teams are more excited about summer League than anything that happens in the finals, they actually have some control over what happens and benefit from good decisions.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Sergio Rodriguez was really really not good last season, TJ McConnell was better offensively and way way better defensively (not super important at PG but the difference between him and Rodriguez was night and day). I don't see any scenario where Philly resigns him and if they do then TJ will be ahead of him on the depth chart for sure, as will Bayless if he is healthy.

Also I don't see why they would resign Splitter unless they like him as a veteran presence in the locker room (very possible). Holmes was very promising last year in limited minutes (.184 WS/48) so I think they are better off seeing what they have with him as the primary backup center getting 20 mpg. Okafor is on a good value rookie contract even if he is your third big playing 10-12 mpg.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 17, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

Sergio Rodriguez was really really not good last season, TJ McConnell was better offensively and way way better defensively (not super important at PG but the difference between him and Rodriguez was night and day). I don't see any scenario where Philly resigns him and if they do then TJ will be ahead of him on the depth chart for sure, as will Bayless if he is healthy.

Yup. I doubt Sergio comes back and there's​ a slight possibility that they release Henderson if Bayless is healthy and TLC looks like he can play a solid 20-25 mpg.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tanglewood1420 posted:

It was a recalibration season, he had to get used to playing with NBA length and athleticism, like when he was a young man on the Blazers. TJ McConnell is TJ McConnell. Sergio is going to tutor these young men and teach show how basketball should be played, like a don, he's probably the best free agent point guard this offseason, even if he's a combo guard who weighs 150 lbs.

Let's go through the list, Mike Lowry, we've seen him fail in the clutch time and time again, he lets his policework get in the way of ball. Jrue Holiday, a good player, I'll admit, but he told me he hates the city of Philadelphia and he'd rather die than play there. Jeff Teague, seen as worse than Sergio Rodriguez by any unbiased observer, George Hill, He's arlight, but he told me he thinks Cameroonian people are repulsive, so he's out, Shaun Livingston? Too tall.

Darren Collison? Too short. Patty Mills, the less we say about him, the better.

Brandon Jennings? I love him, but his achilles is gone and it's not coming back.

Bobby Brown? Now you're talking, a future franchise cornerstone, probably will get the max from the Rockets, the 76ers don't have a chance.
Trey Burke? An NCAA legend who told me he considers himself the best backup pg in the league, and I think 9/10 unbiased observers would say that's absolutely true.

Now we get to the cream of the crop; Sergio Rodriguez: can dribble, pass, and shoot, experienced in all sorts of offenses, has played with players from around the galaxy. He's both a star and a mentor. Pay him everything he asks for and put a playoff bonus of 4m on top.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm now more excited for the draft than I was for the finals.

I hope Lonzo goes to the not-Lakers and his dad melts down in front of a camera.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Or the Sixers take Ball at 1.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

It was a recalibration season, he had to get used to playing with NBA length and athleticism, like when he was a young man on the Blazers. TJ McConnell is TJ McConnell. Sergio is going to tutor these young men and teach show how basketball should be played, like a don, he's probably the best free agent point guard this offseason, even if he's a combo guard who weighs 150 lbs.

Let's go through the list, Mike Lowry, we've seen him fail in the clutch time and time again, he lets his policework get in the way of ball. Jrue Holiday, a good player, I'll admit, but he told me he hates the city of Philadelphia and he'd rather die than play there. Jeff Teague, seen as worse than Sergio Rodriguez by any unbiased observer, George Hill, He's arlight, but he told me he thinks Cameroonian people are repulsive, so he's out, Shaun Livingston? Too tall.

Darren Collison? Too short. Patty Mills, the less we say about him, the better.

Brandon Jennings? I love him, but his achilles is gone and it's not coming back.

Bobby Brown? Now you're talking, a future franchise cornerstone, probably will get the max from the Rockets, the 76ers don't have a chance.
Trey Burke? An NCAA legend who told me he considers himself the best backup pg in the league, and I think 9/10 unbiased observers would say that's absolutely true.

Now we get to the cream of the crop; Sergio Rodriguez: can dribble, pass, and shoot, experienced in all sorts of offenses, has played with players from around the galaxy. He's both a star and a mentor. Pay him everything he asks for and put a playoff bonus of 4m on top.

Sorry dude, I didn't realise you were his agent. Keep fighting the good fight.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hand Row posted:

Or the Sixers take Ball at 1.

Ball could work just fine on the Sixers, they'd be huge and Simmons is a great complement to his style even if Embiid isn't particularly. Fultz just seems a lot less risky with the same potential though.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I hope this trade happens and we get some amazing Bucks-76ers series in a few years.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

Sorry dude, I didn't realise you were his agent. Keep fighting the good fight.

Dejan gonna Dejan.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

Ball could work just fine on the Sixers, they'd be huge and Simmons is a great complement to his style even if Embiid isn't particularly. Fultz just seems a lot less risky with the same potential though.

Yea I would take him at 3 no doubt. It would just be hilarious if they trade up and passed on Fultz for Ball.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I think I'll go to Summer League this year. Now to find someone to go with me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I can't wait for the Bulls to once again renew their chase for the Summer League Championship. To repeat as Champions.

Valentine, Cam Payne, Portis(?), Zipser, Felicio? and scrubs are set to repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think MV shows up to vegas

• Locked thread