Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Farchanter posted:

My girlfriend restarted her phone and all of her SMS threads were gone.

Is it a OnePlus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is it a OnePlus?

It's a Droid Turbo. She's lost her patience with it and is replacing it today anyway, but she'd like to get her messages back if possible.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Farchanter posted:

My girlfriend restarted her phone and all of her SMS threads were gone.

Did she ever back them up? Either with something like SMS backup +, or with general system backups?

If not, one key part of having any hope at recovering lost data is prevent overwrites (turn it off) until you're ready to salvage or clone.

Good luck, but just install SMS backup + for the future. Periodically sends your SMS and MMS to a Gmail subfolder.

Edit: was literally nothing else lost?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Try a different SMS app. Textra maybe?

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

sweart gliwere posted:

Did she ever back them up? Either with something like SMS backup +, or with general system backups?

If not, one key part of having any hope at recovering lost data is prevent overwrites (turn it off) until you're ready to salvage or clone.

Good luck, but just install SMS backup + for the future. Periodically sends your SMS and MMS to a Gmail subfolder.

Edit: was literally nothing else lost?

She never backed up. She only noticed that the texts were gone, but her phone is now off.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Farchanter posted:

She never backed up. She only noticed that the texts were gone, but her phone is now off.

Well she could pay several hundred dollars to a data recovery place to have a shot at getting some of it back, that's about it. It could easily have been mostly overwritten in the boot process and startup though.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I had a similar thing happen once where all of my texts just vanished, never to be seen again, but that was waaaaaaaaaaaaay back on my original Moto Droid.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Is there anything that acts like MS paint? I just want to make dumb photo edits and do stuff like copy paste part of an image and overlay text. There's a ton of photo editing apps but basically I just want like snapchat functionality without all the baggage or giving my data away to some weirdo.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there anything that acts like MS paint? I just want to make dumb photo edits and do stuff like copy paste part of an image and overlay text. There's a ton of photo editing apps but basically I just want like snapchat functionality without all the baggage or giving my data away to some weirdo.

Snapspeed is Google's image editing app and does text. It's fairly robust but adds text easily enough.

Markers is a very simple drawing app made by a Google employee that let's you load files and you draw on them like actual mspaint but doesn't do actual text.

For both I actually use Allo. I created a group chat with myself and my GV number. Allo's built in image editing does drawing and text. Just swipe away the extra Hangouts notification when you're done. Hangounts will not give you any further notifications of images sent there since it doesn't know what to do with those. Plus things you create there can be moved around via Google Photos like anything else.

e: I'm sure there's something more all in one out there someone will post though. :v:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 17, 2017

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It's actually snapseed. Just saying in case he looks and can't find snapspeed :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
And definitely watch out for Snapespeed which is an app that extensively tracks how fast Alan Rickman walks.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh cool. Didn't realize Snapseed had text functionality. Guess I didn't poke around in it enough.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

vyst posted:

It's actually snapseed. Just saying in case he looks and can't find snapspeed :)

I've been saying it wrong for years and never noticed. :stare:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Why do so many apps show up as using ram when I look android settings -> "memory". I know I haven't run some of them in months, and have updated and rebooted the phone many times in between. Is there any way to prevent some apps from auto loading in the background? (aside from completely uninstalling them).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

peepsalot posted:

Why do so many apps show up as using ram when I look android settings -> "memory". I know I haven't run some of them in months, and have updated and rebooted the phone many times in between.
Because the OS understands memory management better than you do. What actual problem is this causing?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
What Tunga said, if the memory is not needed for some other task then the OS will keep the app in memory. The issue is when badly coded apps hog RAM they don't need.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Don't computer janitor your phone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I dunno I can see why you would want to prevent apps from running at startup and in the background, it's possible to prevent if you use xposed or a custom rom as well. It should be possible by default imo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Blue Train posted:

I dunno I can see why you would want to prevent apps from running at startup and in the background, it's possible to prevent if you use xposed or a custom rom as well. It should be possible by default imo

No and I hate you.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Were you mad when they changed the permission style to disallow certain permissions rather than just granting them all on install

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well if you want to prevent an app from taking up memory and you haven't used it in months.. why haven't you uninstalled it?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Blue Train posted:

I can see why you'd want to: you don't understand the way modern operating systems manage memory. This is ok. Lots of people don't.

There's two key facts:
Writing to empty ram isn't any faster than overwriting ram that has poo poo in it; you still have to write the same bits.

Unused ram is wasted, doing literally no good.

Put these two facts together, and the sensible thing to do is use ram that would otherwise just be empty to cache applications you're not currently running just in case you decide to run them.

If another app suddenly needs that memory, it can just overwrite the cache since it knows the cached data already exists in the flash storage. It's functionally equivalent to that ram being empty. It can even move poo poo around in the cache to re-cache the evicted data, since it can do that asynchronously as you continue to use the device. This incurs no performance penalty, and in fact dramatically speeds up starting any of the cached apps.

Apple OS X and non-ancient versions of Windows do something similar. Their creators just had the sense to make the software lie to the user about how much memory is in use to prevent this exact situation we're in now: users actively crippling their devices because they don't realize how much they don't know.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm not saying it should be possible because of memory management, it should be possible because it's been shown that apps objectively can phone home in the bg for no reason

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I also think you should be able to deny internet access as a permission without having to install a third party app to do it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Blue Train posted:

I also think you should be able to deny internet access as a permission without having to install a third party app to do it

If you don't trust an app to have any network access, you should not install it at all.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I would agree but there have been multiple cases of apps in the play store being malware so it is actually Google that I can not trust

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Also that same argument could be made against granular permission control, which I think we all agree is good

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blue Train posted:

I'm not saying it should be possible because of memory management, it should be possible because it's been shown that apps objectively can phone home in the bg for no reason
This is totally false. User installed apps cannot launch anything without some kind of user interaction to open the app at least once. They cannot run background services, open activities or make network calls.

(Obviously OS components are a different matter and therefore a preinstalled app could be run by OS code if your phone is made by a lovely OEM.)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You know apps can start on boot right

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Tunga posted:

Because the OS understands memory management better than you do. What actual problem is this causing?
The actual problem is that I can't switch between a game and a browser without it having to completely reload the game. As soon as the browser loads a page, I'm out of RAM and it unloads the game.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

peepsalot posted:

The actual problem is that I can't switch between a game and a browser without it having to completely reload the game. As soon as the browser loads a page, I'm out of RAM and it unloads the game.

Sounds like the game is shittily programmed

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

That or the phone is lovely

E: or the website is just bad like the verge

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Blue Train posted:

That or the phone is lovely

E: or the website is just bad like the verge
The phone is a 5X, which claims to have 1.8GB in the memory settings. The game uses about 250MB of that. Also its not that I'm losing game progress, I'm just tired of watching the loading screen after a quick task switch.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Blue Train posted:

You know apps can start on boot right
What Tunga was saying is that apps can't do this until the user launches the app for the first time.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

peepsalot posted:

The phone is a 5X, which claims to have 1.8GB in the memory settings. The game uses about 250MB of that. Also its not that I'm losing game progress, I'm just tired of watching the loading screen after a quick task switch.

My 5X also frequently closes apps when switching between them, I guess 2GB is just not a lot of RAM in 2017. :shrug:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Incessant Excess posted:

My 5X also frequently closes apps when switching between them, I guess 2GB is just not a lot of RAM in 2017. :shrug:
I wonder how much updates have bloated android over the years. LIke how much more RAM the base OS uses compared to when the 5X was originally released. Feels like planned obsolescence via software RAM bloat.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

peepsalot posted:

That's more likely the game than the phone.

peepsalot posted:

I wonder how much updates have bloated android over the years. LIke how much more RAM the base OS uses compared to when the 5X was originally released. Feels like planned obsolescence via software RAM bloat.

Memory bloat is a good thing in an OS. It allows important things to be kept in memory so they don't have to be reloaded. Android has gotten significantly faster over the years with optimization updates, not the other way around. The planned obsolescence with Android is just that phones don't get updates. Or they bootloop, in the case of yours.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
But wouldn't that force it to page to its hard drive when RAM runs out, rig..... oh, wait.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I think android uses zram in place of swap and for the same general reason but I'm not 100% on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is there a battery widget that gives a realistic estimate of how much time you have left that isn't just assuming you're not going to touch your phone until the battery drains?