Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I GUESS it's possible that the weird guy covered in shoe polish who was in the jail then moved on to posessing Phyllis after leaving the husband, and that's what Cooper was referring to when he said she followed human nature. But having a split second incredibly vague blur effect doesn't seem like a good way of showing it. To me it seemed like Cooper set up the whole business with Hastings and his wife cheating on each other, and was gloating a bit about how easy he can manipulate people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I feel like there's something to that moment looking strange, because it's unique so far in the show. Maybe once we see another person get shot by Mr. C we'll be able to know if that's just an enhancement effect or if it implies some significance.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Actually revealing who Diane is feels like a very un-Lynch thing to do, and I'm not sure what I think about it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The fact that it's Laura Dern looking like a German cabaret singer feels very Lynch.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm not trying to read into every little thing or suck the joy out of the show, I just always viewed Twin Peaks as something of a.... easter egg hunt, in a manner?

In this particular instance, I'm not saying it means anything or even suggesting a meaning, if you notice. I'm just purposely pointing out a very strange visual effect (which we have seen in both the Red Room/Black Lodge and the Pink Room or whatever you want to call that place Cooper went to briefly). When Mr. C killed Darya, there was nothing strange, and no unnatural visual effects.

If it means anything, I would think it's another instance of the Black Lodge "leaking". Like Mr. C speaking a word backwards when talking to Cole, or his left ring finger print showing up backwards as Tammy Preston (hopefully) noticed. I'm not saying something like this will come back, or be revisited, or whatever... I just think it's cool to notice these things and hazard a guess as to what it mean. It's as inexplicable to me as the soot-covered guy in the jail cell vanishing and his head floating away.

I just wanted to point out that it *exists* since a lot of people perhaps didn't notice anything weird about the scene, while that scene - and what the jittery effect when he shoots her was and whether that was just blood coming out of her head - has been bothering me for weeks and I feel pleased with myself and happy that I more or less answered the questions that were bothering me. The jittery, stuttering effect when he shoots her is from a very brief visual warping effect that Lynch used, and whatever is coming out of her head when she is standing up is definitely not blood, whatever it is - if it was blood, it would have splattered somewhere instead of vanishing, and it's clearly a digital effect.

It is generally important to remember that filmmakers put a lot of thought into what they're making, and it's not as if a director like Lynch would make decisions like that on a total whim without any thought behind it. Whatever it is, it means *something* to Lynch and/or Frost, even if that meaning might not even be clear to them.

Is there really such harm in pointing this stuff out?

kaworu fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 17, 2017

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I forgot that during the first Lodge scene in Cooper's dream he's old and the scene in season 3 plays out very similarly. It's been so long since I watched the first season that this kind of thing is really cool to rediscover. It gives the impression that the s3 stuff was planned from the start but I know that's just where the pieces fell.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I'm not sure I like Diane being a real person and not just Cooper's tape recorder but Laura Dern is always great.

I knew it was never intended but I couldn't help but think of her in a York/Zack way due to playing Deadly Premonition before my last rewatch.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Deadly Premonition is probably going to end up being essential to understanding the episode after this next one.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

I knew it was never intended but I couldn't help but think of her in a York/Zack way due to playing Deadly Premonition before my last rewatch.
I never felt that way about Diane, because that is one of the cool ways that DP differentiates itself from TP and avoids becoming a complete ripoff.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

I feel like there's something to that moment looking strange, because it's unique so far in the show. Maybe once we see another person get shot by Mr. C we'll be able to know if that's just an enhancement effect or if it implies some significance.

Does kaworu feel like going though the scene with Darya frame by frame? That shooting seemed normal.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Dougie Jones

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

kaworu posted:

You really shouldn't have made it sound like it was subtle. Watching that scene again, it's a really obvious effect. If something similar happens when Cooper kills Darya, it's not nearly as noticeable.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Dougie Jones

Quote for help

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ginette Reno posted:

Quote for help
Ginette give two rides!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
case files

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Easter egg hunting is great. They're there, but they're not like concrete eggs. They're more like wool eggs, eggs made out of wool. Strange eggs that might not actually be eggs, or meant to represent eggs, but they're made of wool and wool comes from sheep which is fine in my opinion. Twin Peaks : The Return is great for finding wool eggs and that's a great thing if you like wool. If you like real eggs, either to cook or to paint with your children then that's great too, but that's not the kind of eggs that David Lynch gives a neutered birth to out of his hen like artistic vagina in this Showtime henhouse and I'm fine with that.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

kaworu posted:

No, keep doing it, I'm in the same boat as you.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Modrasone posted:

Easter egg hunting is great. They're there, but they're not like concrete eggs. They're more like wool eggs, eggs made out of wool. Strange eggs that might not actually be eggs, or meant to represent eggs, but they're made of wool and wool comes from sheep which is fine in my opinion. Twin Peaks : The Return is great for finding wool eggs and that's a great thing if you like wool. If you like real eggs, either to cook or to paint with your children then that's great too, but that's not the kind of eggs that David Lynch gives a neutered birth to out of his hen like artistic vagina in this Showtime henhouse and I'm fine with that.

this is a good post

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Modrasone posted:

Oh yeah, this is going in the OP alright

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Re: Carl and the grieving mother, it reminds me of Dead Dog Farm from season two, and the realtor's story to Coop.

Irene Littlehorse posted:

Of all the people in the world, the best and the worst are drawn to Dead Dog, and most turn away. Only those with the purest of heart can feel its pain. And somewhere in between, the rest of us struggle.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Modrasone posted:

Sheep are mammals and often found on farms. Cows are also mammals often found on farms. Milk comes from cows. Cheese comes from milk.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
And coffee comes from a cup!

Anukahn
Jul 22, 2006

My brain hurts

He is just sooo old and lovable. Want him to do my taxes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I think I found David Lynch's inspiration for Ike the Spike's stabby scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3BqDf_MbM

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

https://youtu.be/Ut6zdE8qWj0

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Deep analysis into Lynch's visual direction seems counter to how it works, for me anyway. The meaning is in how the atmosphere is making you feel. No need to double-rainbow every visual detail.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

kaworu posted:

Nope, because when I first saw it, I thought it was my stream glitching.

Guy Mann posted:

I think I found David Lynch's inspiration for Ike the Spike's stabby scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3BqDf_MbM
I thought MadTV was awful but for some reason I still remember most of this skit's beats because it was one of the best. Still have to laugh at "who the hell are you?" "who's cleanin' that up?" and "you're insane."

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 18, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Modrasone posted:

I don't get it :confused:

vvv: Sorry I was trying to be funny - I am able to comprehend irony your post was lovely and needed no explaining :)

kaworu fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 18, 2017

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
What I mean is that these small details are there in abundance and it's fun to look for them, but they're not meant to give and definitive answers about anything, they're more about building a momentum of symbolism.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
my theory atm is that sonny jim is cooper as a kid

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Earlier on in this thread I commented on my dread of the implications of Dougie, a fake being, having a wife and kid. But, what if they are all constructs? What if Dougie, Janey-E, and Sonny Jim all combine to make the Cooper we love?

Janey-E has the force of will, Sonny Jim has the joy, and Dougie/Coop has the basic building blocks that make up Special Agent Dale Cooper.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yes, Andy

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Apple Craft posted:

Earlier on in this thread I commented on my dread of the implications of Dougie, a fake being, having a wife and kid. But, what if they are all constructs? What if Dougie, Janey-E, and Sonny Jim all combine to make the Cooper we love?

Janey-E has the force of will, Sonny Jim has the joy, and Dougie/Coop has the basic building blocks that make up Special Agent Dale Cooper.

So in order to get Coop back... :ohdear:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tirranek posted:

im kinda worried ike the spike is gonna kill em all

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Tirranek posted:

yes.... he has to gently caress his son

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i really hope not

i only want the best for the jones

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I'm not sure I like Diane being a real person and not just Cooper's tape recorder but Laura Dern is always great.

She was never a tape recorder. Throughout the show he makes statements to her as you would to a real person, like stopping by the diner he stopped at on the way to Twin Peaks to try their pie, or the earplugs thing another poster mentioned. In one of the deleted scenes from Fire Walk With Me, Cooper is outside of her office addressing her, but we never see her and she never speaks.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
There's a new episode of Twin Peaks tonight. That's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums

crowoutofcontext posted:

Yup. Also this Missing Pieces scene with Diane off camera is ridiculously cute and really highlights how close she was with Coop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQA0U6zWyY

drat, watching that scene really drove home how much I am missing the real Dale Cooper in the 2017 series.

Yes, yes, I know...slow burn, Lynch is Lynch, 18-hour movie, "what did you want, a safe nostalgia trip like The Force Awakens", etc. There is no doubt that this new season is a fascinating thing to watch, unlike anything on TV. But I don't think that people are being monsters for hoping that this iconic and enjoyable character from the original series makes some sort of appearance this season. Not for cheap nostalgia, but because Lynch and Frost are so good at writing him.