Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mosch posted:

I took a few pictures, but it's black on black and pretty much invisible unless you squint really hard.

So far I've tried steel wool, sand paper, a graphic scalpel and a dremel. Nothing. I suppose if even a dremel can't sand it off it's not going to be a problem during normal use.

I'd use a TS8000 torch +Map Pro gas. Burn it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mosch posted:

I took a few pictures, but it's black on black and pretty much invisible unless you squint really hard.

So far I've tried steel wool, sand paper, a graphic scalpel and a dremel. Nothing. I suppose if even a dremel can't sand it off it's not going to be a problem during normal use.

CAST IT FORTH TO THE FLAMES OF HELL

seriously, is building a fire outside an option?

Mosch
Jul 30, 2013
Fire, you say? Sure, I can build a fire. So pile up some wood, get a fire going, throw the wok on top for a few minutes?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Mosch posted:

Fire, you say? Sure, I can build a fire. So pile up some wood, get a fire going, throw the wok on top for a few minutes?

I *think* the general idea is to put it in the coals, but you wanna make sure it heats up and cools down somewhat gradually if you're worried about cracking.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Light that sucker up, apply wok, and let the fire burn it's self out and cool, remove wok. You will probably need to re-season your wok though, but the goop will definitely be gone.

Just don't do this if there's a threat of rain if you're outside. The wok is going to need some time to slowly cool, and rain will rust it up.

Mosch
Jul 30, 2013
Thanks guys, a coal fire and the application of my just discovered butane torch seem to have done the trick. I'm re-seasoning in the oven right now. If all goes well I'll be making stir fry this time tomorrow!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Side question: For a wok, isn't something with better heat-spreading better? Or does the fact you're always going to be using a wok at full blast kinda negate that?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you want it cooler near the top

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've got a pretty sweet wife. She got me the lodge cast iron sportsmen's grill for my birthday. I've wanted to get one since I found out it existed. Can't wait to grill some steaks on it.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Found this at the grocery store today. Haven't looked through it yet

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
If you happen to be in or around New York City and have some cash to spend, Somebody's selling off a crapload of vintage Griswold cast iron goodies.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Quick question RE: electrolytic rust removal.

I forgot my dutch oven in my garage near the door, where it caught enough moisture to rust over the winter. I have all the necessary parts lying around to :science: it back to good however, I was looking around on electrolysis and it seems like there are more than a couple metals to use as a sacrificial anode which release toxic fumes, are covered in grease and oil residue, etc.. I'd rather not buy a piece of rebar just for this so I was curious if there are any good pieces of junk I ought to keep an eye out for? I'm not 100% on the science of some of the metals which can be used for anodes as well, so I'm not sure for instance if galvanized metal is safe for using on something you'd later be cooking and eating off of, etc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Galvanized metal = absolutely not

Just scrub it down with steel wool

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Steve Yun posted:

Galvanized metal = absolutely not

Just scrub it down with steel wool
If you could write in full sentences anywhere in this thread, AND maybe even explain a little bit about what I'm supposed to scrub - the galvanized metal? The rusty stuff? - I'd probably give your advice more credence, thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Galvanized metal toxic when heated very bad

Scrub rusty parts off cast iron with steel wool, reseason, good as new

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Use lye if you wanna chemical it up.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Metal fume fever isn't a big concern if you're running your electrolysis rig outside and aren't huffing the gas coming off of it. However, if you're looking for a *safe* sacrificial anode, just find a chunk of iron or steel. If it's rusty and a magnet sticks to it, have fun!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Picked up a Griswold for twelve bucks at an antique store while camping this past weekend. Dating website seems to place it within a decade either way of WW2. It's a small skillet, smooth bottomed and perfect for cooking single person meals over a fire.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

ColdPie posted:

Picked up a Griswold for twelve bucks at an antique store while camping this past weekend. Dating website seems to place it within a decade either way of WW2. It's a small skillet, smooth bottomed and perfect for cooking single person meals over a fire.

Excellent find.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
So this guy in a local food group has been snapping up all the cast iron and other good cookware from thrift stores, apparently to flip them. Here's what he has. It's a beautiful collection, but man, gently caress that guy, I'm not giving him a dollar.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Just curious, but I am assuming this cast iron is overpriced hipster garbage:

https://anovaculinary.com/the-field-company-8-cast-iron-skillet/?utm_source=Anova+Food+Nerd+Family

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

Just curious, but I am assuming this cast iron is overpriced hipster garbage:

https://anovaculinary.com/the-field-company-8-cast-iron-skillet/?utm_source=Anova+Food+Nerd+Family

A smooth cooking surface doesn't merit a $75 premium over other commercially available (and larger) cast iron skillets, so yes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

A smooth cooking surface doesn't merit a $75 premium over other commercially available (and larger) cast iron skillets, so yes.

To add to this: Smooth cooking surfaces are nice, but they can easily be had with a little elbow grease and the right power tools. Several of us here have done it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I bought an angle grinder for $40 and sanded smooth the bottom of my 8" Lodge skillet. And guess what? I decided it wasn't worth it. My 10" Lodge skillet was pebbly but over a couple years it got enough seasoning on it that the bumps were smoothed over and nothing sticks in the first place.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I bought an angle grinder for $40 and sanded smooth the bottom of my 8" Lodge skillet. And guess what? I decided it wasn't worth it. My 10" Lodge skillet was pebbly but over a couple years it got enough seasoning on it that the bumps were smoothed over and nothing sticks in the first place.

Yeah, pretty much. I still do it for every new pan I get (and mostly give away) because I just enjoy doing it - but the IDEA of a smooth surface SEEMS LIKE IT SHOULD make much more of a difference than it does practically.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Heating it up and using the right amount of fat has way more of an effect.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

To add to this: Smooth cooking surfaces are nice, but they can easily be had with a little elbow grease and the right power tools. Several of us here have done it.

did you use a flap wheel? my lodge lost some of the seasoning again and i think I want to just smooth it down.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

did you use a flap wheel? my lodge lost some of the seasoning again and i think I want to just smooth it down.

I used an angle grinder and abrasive disc. I have since purchased a flap wheel for my next pan but I haven't used it yet.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Yes, flap wheel is the way to go.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
40 or 80 grit?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

40 or 80 grit?

I did 40. The result against cast iron is really nice. Can't imagine the point of going finer.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Reading this thread, and some food show on netflix has inspired me to take up baking bread in my cast iron. I came across a super simple no knead dutch oven bread dough recipe and have been working on baking better bread with a deep skillet and lid in my electric oven. Just recently, for an anniversary present, Mrs. Chiller came through big time with a 14" dutch oven. It's the kind with legs and flat top lid so I can use it camping!

Here's some photos of my inaugural loaf and subsequent chicken dinner. It was super hot yesterday, so there was no way I was going to fire up the oven to bake indoors. Overall I'm surprised how well it turned out just using the first calculator I came across online for how many briquettes to use for what temperature. There's so many people out there saying how they burned the bottom of whatever they were cooking in a dutch oven, and a so many other screwed up attempts, I was half expecting the first attempt to be an opportunity for learning what not to do next time. I guess it's just like any other time cooking with cast iron: remember to let it heat up before you try to cook with it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That looks like it turned out good! I'd eat it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Been looking for this, a pan to make "plättar" for :10bux:

Went over with angle grinder and steel brushes for several hours, just started the re-seasoning process.

Handle says Munktells, which is short for Munktells Mekaniska Verkstad, it was a swedish company founded in 1832 and operated until 1932 when it merged with Bolinders Mekaniska Verkstad.

I think I am set WRT cast iron now. Next step is replacing my teflon pans and other coatings with carbon steel equivalents.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

His Divine Shadow posted:

Been looking for this, a pan to make "plättar" for :10bux:

Went over with angle grinder and steel brushes for several hours, just started the re-seasoning process.

Handle says Munktells, which is short for Munktells Mekaniska Verkstad, it was a swedish company founded in 1832 and operated until 1932 when it merged with Bolinders Mekaniska Verkstad.

I think I am set WRT cast iron now. Next step is replacing my teflon pans and other coatings with carbon steel equivalents.

Daaaaaaaaaamn son.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Works a treat too, no sticking at all.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That is stupid and pointless. Just send it to me to get rid of it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, is it worth getting a new one or are thrift store cast iron pans just fine?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

iospace posted:

Question, is it worth getting a new one or are thrift store cast iron pans just fine?

I have one new pan and a bunch of thrift store/craigslist/estate sale/yard sale finds. They're all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Check they've got no cracks or anything in, at which point, they're fine.