Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I slept through the entire morning. Are you serious? The #2 Porsche won? Holy poo poo.

Holy shittt

And who on earth would DDoS the 24 Hours of Le Mans? North Korea because of Jackie Chan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A nice 4 hour nap after the race and I'm feeling human again. Man what s great race that was

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

quote:

The pole-sitting No. 7 Toyota of Kobayashi retired in the 10th hour with clutch failure, in what Vasselon said was triggered by a bizarre pit lane incident.

He said it was the “most amazing” problem they had during the race.

Kobayashi pitted for routine service while under the race’s second safety car period before going into the queue at pit exit, where Vasselon said he was signaled to re-enter the track by a fake marshal, believed to be a driver from another team.

“It’s amazing… Someone came to tell him, and we have it on video: ‘Go go go!’ And normally, our drivers are used to the human action dominate signs,” Vasselon explained.

“From our side, we told him stop because the safety car queue was coming, and it was not possible.

“There has been, as you can imagine, some confusion. Start, stop, start, stop.

“So he had done several restarts with the clutch and the combustion engine… and burned the clutch because he has been thrown into a situation which should not exist.”

Kobayashi ground to a halt moments later and was forced to retire the car at the Porsche Curves.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/vasselon-frustrated-with-toyotas-missed-opportunity/

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
it was me I was the fake marshal

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://streamable.com/kvdca

I tohught he would be dressed up as a marshal but no it's literally a driver in his full driving regalia lmao

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That crash for corvette :smith:

But holy poo poo, ACO somehow got BOP right this year.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They should ditch the LMPs and just get even more manufacturers in GT.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

julian assflange posted:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Make the hybrid stuff optional.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wirth1000 posted:

Make the hybrid stuff optional.

Why

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wonder if any new manufacturers will arrive in LMP1 after the new regs were announced. Nissan said they will defo return. I'd love it if Ferrari participated again.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

julian assflange posted:

I wonder if any new manufacturers will arrive in LMP1 after the new regs were announced. Nissan said they will defo return. I'd love it if Ferrari participated again.

Aren't there a whole bunch of new privateer entries joining, too?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

uh wtf, why

i hope the fia find out which driver it was and bar him from competing

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wicka posted:

Aren't there a whole bunch of new privateer entries joining, too?

Kolles, Dallara and Ginetta signed up for LMP1 next season. A few LMP2 teams are looking at it since the rule change iirc

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wonder who will provide engines

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

julian assflange posted:

I've been saying this for twelve loving years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I figure that would just lead to GTs becoming quasi-prototypes like in the 90s FIA-GT years. The Ford GT's already halfway there.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I figure that would just lead to GTs becoming quasi-prototypes like in the 90s FIA-GT years. The Ford GT's already halfway there.

They're all already halfway there. The diffusers on the Aston look ridiculous and like they belong on a JDM time attack car. It's funny cause I remember Richards talking about it a while back saying how great it was cause he didn't need to do any car development and BOP would just take care of everything, kinda looks like that turned out to be wrong.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I see nothing wrong with this.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Wirth1000 posted:

I tohught he would be dressed up as a marshal but no it's literally a driver in his full driving regalia lmao

this might be the greatest thing ever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Norns posted:

I see nothing wrong with this.

Yeah but isn't the appeal of GT that they at least sort of look like road cars? I think you kinda lose that when "GT" cars end up looking like this.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I think you'll find that homologation is The One True Path

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Looking sexy as gently caress isn't a negative.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the GT1 homologation rules at some point were one road car (which you didn't have to actually sell), with enough cargo space to hold a briefcase. Toyota successfully argued that you could hold a briefcase in the fuel tank.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah but isn't the appeal of GT that they at least sort of look like road cars? I think you kinda lose that when "GT" cars end up looking like this.

Unless they state in the rules that the road car also has to look like that which makes it a loving win-win.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Im a big autistic nerd and am making a spreadsheet of every car entered in Le Mans in recent years.

Weird trivia! In 2000 three different teams entered the same chassis (A Raynard Motorsport 2KQ-LM, pictured below) with three completely different engines.

In the more powerful LMP900 class, Mopar Team Oreca raced two cars powered by a 6 liter Mopar V8, Johansson-Matthews Racing brought one car with a Judd 4 liter V10 and in the less powerful LMP675 class, the Racing Organisation Course team raced with two cars powered by a volkswagen 2.0 liter turbo 4!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think the GT1 homologation rules at some point were one road car (which you didn't have to actually sell), with enough cargo space to hold a briefcase. Toyota successfully argued that you could hold a briefcase in the fuel tank.

yeah, homologation requires that the sanctioning body hold firm to certain rules, and it's a fairly easy way to dictate what level of performance you want

balls out protos? make it like 5 cars

somewhat tamer but still fast? make it 50

similar speed but allowing privateers easier access? make it 100

etc etc

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I don't think it's necessarily productive but we're already at the point where LMP1s are referred to as sports cars instead of "thinly veiled open wheelers with closed cockpits" like they should be. Moving to GTE would if anything be more rational, I doubt it would happen without scrapping bop though.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
hell having a GT division with no bop would probably be pretty badass, tbh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Group A died because of the evolution rule, where the number of models in the range of cars in production went from like 2,500 to something like 100. On the other hand, it gave us some insane homologation specials like the Skyline GTR, the various Lancer Evos, and the Sierra Cosworth.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I'm pretty sure there's almost zero appetite from manufacturers to return to homologation.

Scrapping BOP would be cool but it would also cause almost all the manufacturers to drop out as well. I don't think there's any easy solution to the current problems and it's why we're stuck with this LMP structure.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm 30 minutes into Mad Max Fury Road for the first time and I already know this is literally what Sports Car Racing and the 24 Hours of Le Mans needs to become.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There's an entire class for people who want to pretend their car is related to the vehicle racing so please stop trying to ruin the cutting edge race cars out there, thanks in advance

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Proud Christian Mom posted:

There's an entire class for people who want to pretend their car is related to the vehicle racing so please stop trying to ruin the cutting edge race cars out their, thanks in advance

Also, this.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I put so much into Gran Turismo 2 to get this car as a kid

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think GTE and GT3 are in a good spot, along with GT4. Homologation special rules are way too exploitable (though it did give us Group B road cars), and I like the rules for GTE.

Though it'd be interesting to see some hybrids in GTE.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Proud Christian Mom posted:

There's an entire class for people who want to pretend their car is related to the vehicle racing so please stop trying to ruin the cutting edge race cars out there, thanks in advance

Yeah thanks Buemi.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Wirth1000 posted:

Omg this is amazing.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It technically is a road car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The most bullshit/badass move ever was Dauer building a road going version of the 962 so they could still keep racing at LeMans with it.

• Locked thread