Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

DrDork posted:

Is it also chained to your jeans? I bet it is.

You mean my jorts? You betcha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Y'all probably remember that SÁBADO GIGANTE video card meme

BITCHIN' FAST 3D 2000 :black101:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The $500 price difference between the two Vega models seems excessive if there's not actually a performance difference.

I wonder if the air-cooled version is TDP-throttled like Fury Nano. This doesn't show up in the clock rates since it can clock just as high as Fury X, it just won't be able to sustain it due to the TDP throttle.

If not, buy a G10 bracket and a H75, boom, saved you $600.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Paul MaudDib posted:

The $500 price difference between the two Vega models seems excessive if there's not actually a performance difference.

I wonder if the air-cooled version is TDP-throttled like Fury Nano. This doesn't show up in the clock rates since it can clock just as high as Fury X, it just won't be able to sustain it due to the TDP throttle.

If not, buy a G10 bracket and a H75, boom, saved you $600.

I mean, it's a workstation card so it's overpriced in every respect. No doubt they're charging a huge premium for the 'workstation grade' water cooling. It doesn't matter that much though, the consumer Vega cards should perform better and for much less anyway. I wouldn't worry about what AMD think they can get away with charging businesses.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

how safe is it to run a Geforce 1080 at 70C (44% GPU fan) for extended periods of time (days-weeks)?

i'm getting a second box with a 1080 Ti to be my main PC and am thinking of moving my existing PC into a 29C ambient temp store room as a headless hobby tensorflow machine.
wondering how safe it is to leave it run full throttle.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

According to Nvidia, max temp for a 1080 is 94°C. 70° shouldn't really be a problem.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

Drakhoran posted:

According to Nvidia, max temp for a 1080 is 94°C. 70° shouldn't really be a problem.

Yup, ran my HD 4850 for years at 80C load, with the stock blower, and then friend used it without issue. Didn't affect the stability or lifetime.

Don't believe all these idiots who freak out about anything over 50C load, They just want some sort of justification for dropping over a hundred dollars on a GPU water block they can't easily reuse.

All while STOCK AND OEM-ADDED cooling is better than it's ever been.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 18, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

defaultluser posted:

All while STOCK AND OEM-ADDED cooling is better than it's ever been.
Well, for nVidia at least...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

defaultluser posted:

Don't believe all these idiots who freak out about anything over 50C load, They just want some sort of justification for dropping over a hundred dollars on a GPU water block they can't easily reuse.

Other than the neato factor of having a GPU waterblock tied into a larger CWL, I've never understood them: they're stupid expensive (easily $100 for the block), and as you say, since they're custom fit, they can't be re-used on another type of card.

Meanwhile, a AIO + G10 costs about the same as a single block, you can use it on basically anything, and it provides very similar levels of cooling.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DrDork posted:

Other than the neato factor of having a GPU waterblock tied into a larger CWL, I've never understood them: they're stupid expensive (easily $100 for the block), and as you say, since they're custom fit, they can't be re-used on another type of card.

Meanwhile, a AIO + G10 costs about the same as a single block, you can use it on basically anything, and it provides very similar levels of cooling.

The good reason is if you are using two cards and you want them to fit close together, then a custom loop makes a lot of sense if you don't mind the cost. With 4k@144Hz becoming a thing or just 4k that never dips below 60FPS@Ultra SLIed 1080Ti's makes sense, also if you are a AMD loyalist the best you can get right now is a couple 580s to push a higher end Freesync monitor.

I will agree that for anything single card a bracket and AIO or just a good open style air cooler makes more sense.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrDork posted:

That's pretty much why I got mine.

That said, the Pascal reference boards seem to be all compatible with each other. EKWB's blocks for the 1080 and 1070 are identical for instance, other than the number cut into them.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

That said, the Pascal reference boards seem to be all compatible with each other. EKWB's blocks for the 1080 and 1070 are identical for instance, other than the number cut into them.

EK makes a full-cover block that works with everything from the 1060FE up to the Titan Xp now: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-geforce-gtx-fe-nickel

Still, it probably won't fit on Volta reference cards and a G10+AIO almost certainly will.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

repiv posted:

EK makes a full-cover block that works with everything from the 1060FE up to the Titan Xp now: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-geforce-gtx-fe-nickel

Still, it probably won't fit on Volta reference cards and a G10+AIO almost certainly will.

Don't most AIO or generic solutions fail to cool the VRMs and other devices? iirc, they generally only cool the GPU die. I haven't looked much into them myself, having bought the full-cover block and called it good.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Don't most AIO or generic solutions fail to cool the VRMs and other devices? iirc, they generally only cool the GPU die. I haven't looked much into them myself, having bought the full-cover block and called it good.

The AIO itself only cools the GPU die, but the G10/G12 kits come with a 92mm fan to cool the VRM section:

It's no full-cover waterblock but it generally works well enough.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The good reason is if you are using two cards and you want them to fit close together, then a custom loop makes a lot of sense if you don't mind the cost. With 4k@144Hz becoming a thing or just 4k that never dips below 60FPS@Ultra SLIed 1080Ti's makes sense, also if you are a AMD loyalist the best you can get right now is a couple 580s to push a higher end Freesync monitor.

I will agree that for anything single card a bracket and AIO or just a good open style air cooler makes more sense.

I could see this if you had a fairly exotic setup where--for whatever reason--you needed your SLI cards to be in adjacent slots. However, most SLI motherboards these days have at least 2 slots between x16 slots explicitly to allow 3-slot-wide cards to fit in SLI, meaning you would have no problem with using AIO+G10's. Admittedly, you might be trying to shove that into a smaller case that wouldn't have mounting options for two AIO radiators, but I don't know what sort of case would run into that issue that wouldn't also have a problem providing sufficient radiator space for a CLC capable of dealing with SLI 1080Ti's to begin with.

Basically, I agree that there's edge-case scenarios where waterblocks make sense, but they're so edge that it seems that they should basically never happen outside pure vanity--which I'll admit is a totally legit reason to do something if you've got the cash for it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

I could see this if you had a fairly exotic setup where--for whatever reason--you needed your SLI cards to be in adjacent slots. However, most SLI motherboards these days have at least 2 slots between x16 slots explicitly to allow 3-slot-wide cards to fit in SLI, meaning you would have no problem with using AIO+G10's. Admittedly, you might be trying to shove that into a smaller case that wouldn't have mounting options for two AIO radiators, but I don't know what sort of case would run into that issue that wouldn't also have a problem providing sufficient radiator space for a CLC capable of dealing with SLI 1080Ti's to begin with.

Basically, I agree that there's edge-case scenarios where waterblocks make sense, but they're so edge that it seems that they should basically never happen outside pure vanity--which I'll admit is a totally legit reason to do something if you've got the cash for it.

Don't AIO brackets usually work at 2-slot spacing (skip one slot) rather than 3?

The problem with triple-slot spacing (skip 2 slots) is that it still sucks for triple-slot coolers, since all of those are open-cooler styles that depend on having an airspace in front to carry the heat away. Triple slot spacing is good for a dual-slot cooler, max.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Don't AIO brackets usually work at 2-slot spacing (skip one slot) rather than 3?

Yeah. Hence my note that virtually all current motherboards have x16 spacing generous enough to not be an issue for AIO's. The exception being some of the extremely niche 4x 16 boards that sometimes have x16 slots adjacent, so they only support 1-slot-wide cards, for which a CLC would work where an AIO would not. But even then I think virtually all of them are at least 2-slot sized, since single-slot + 4x SLI is...well an extremely uncommon setup, I suppose.

Agreed that even with 3 slots, open-air-coolers tend to struggle.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Please convince I don't need to get rid of this 1080 and get a 1080 ti. I feel this journey down the GPU rabbit hole will never end.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how many hours per week do you actually game and how much better is the 1080ti at your resolution?

That should be all you need to consider if its a worthwhile upgrade

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I'll be using a 1440/144 soon but I honestly don't mind turning some settings down. I do t game that much with a six month old around. I just like tinkering with PCs, one of my few hobbies and I enjoy it with my limited free time. That upgrade/building itch is hard to fight sometimes.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

B-Mac posted:

I'll be using a 1440/144 soon but I honestly don't mind turning some settings down. I do t game that much with a six month old around. I just like tinkering with PCs, one of my few hobbies and I enjoy it with my limited free time. That upgrade/building itch is hard to fight sometimes.

I'm perfectly happy with my 1080 at 1440/144 and I run everything high/ultra. Just make sure to get a GSync monitor.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah gsync is an upgrade with some actual longevity.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The time to do the 1080 to 1080ti upgrade was before the ti's release which tanked the 1080's resale value.

As a 1080 owner, I know that I'm waiting until the next ti (1180?) and getting on the ti cycle. Those cards hold their value longer.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they hold value longer but arguably worse. Ti's see greater price drop in dollar amount, but all the cards from x70 up see a similar percentage of price drop

I feel that as long as you stick to one cycle you get fairly good value. When you hop around constantly you will inevitably buy right before a price drop.

980Ti's were going for $400 when the 1080 launched. 970's were 200 for a time when the 980 ti was launched. Each time you can expect close to a 30% drop.

These are ebay prices, the retail prices barely move except in response to something AMD did and you cant really expect them to regularly be competitive these days

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 19, 2017

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The time to do the 1080 to 1080ti upgrade was before the ti's release which tanked the 1080's resale value.

As a 1080 owner, I know that I'm waiting until the next ti (1180?) and getting on the ti cycle. Those cards hold their value longer.

I'm doing the same. I have a 980Ti right now and it works perfectly for 2k @ 60Hz but when an 1180Ti comes out I'm hoping it'll actually do 4k @ 120 Hz+ and upgrade both my graphics card and monitor at that time.

eames
May 9, 2009

brace yourselves, the buttcoin miners are moving on to the GTX1060/GTX1070.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6i1r5c/ethereum_hashrate_drop_for_radeon_rx400rx500_gpus/

if this discussion is correct then polaris will hit some sort of bandwidth bottleneck in the near future which will make mining 30% less effective; pascal is unaffected by this.

Fortunately the 1070 isn't great value for gaming after the 1080 price cuts and the 1080 is somehow worse at mining so the :pcgaming: top end of the GPU range should be safe.
People interested in a 1060 will be able to pick up a used RX480/580 for peanuts.

eames fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 19, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I definitely thought about buying a bulk lot of 1070s like 2 weeks ago in anticipation of that but decided to continue trying to snipe/flip the RX cards instead. Whatever, I'm up like a grand on that either way.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 19, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Do miners tend to use blower fans for the mining rig GPUs?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

ufarn posted:

No, they have them on open air ghetto rigs so they actually want the good aftermarket coolers wherever it's possible without spending too much extra.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
That kind of explains why the two 1070s I saw show up disappeared basically over night.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ufarn posted:

They use whatever card they can find.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
So should I hold onto this MSI Gaming 290x for a few days more before selling so I can contribute more to my 1080 fund? Sounds like it might be more in demand now that 4 and 5 series cards are going to be out of favor?

I was originally going to go 1070 but it looks like stock is almost out everywhere and prices will go up thanks to buttcoin

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

No sell now, complexity increase is going to make that card even more worthless than it was two months ago.

E: wait, it's all GCN cards getting hit, not just Polaris, right?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Don't sell them on ebay though.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Just purchased an RX580 for $220 lol, Microcenter now has a one card per person per month policy in place.

eames
May 9, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

No sell now, complexity increase is going to make that card even more worthless than it was two months ago.

article posted:

It seems that other more powerful GPUs such as R9 290(x)/390(x) as well as Nvidia Pascal GPUs with more video memory (6GB/8GB+) will not be affected or the drop in performance

:shrug:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

NewFatMike posted:

Rumormill says that actually it's only Polaris that's going to nosedive in the immediate future and 290s will pull through.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Don't sell them on ebay though.

Aside from their stupid fees, any other reason not to?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Godinster posted:

someone posted it in here a page or so ago but the short version is eBay can and will screw you when a buyer decides "you know what it's been almost 6 months and oh look it never actually worked. Ebay give me my money back" and people buying cards to be miners are more likely to screw you over if they think they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Godinster posted:

Ebay is overwhelmed with fraud, and buyers have 180 days to dispute purchases and many of the fraudsters do. Also, paypal's purpose in this world is to gently caress over sellers now. They'll side with buyers no matter what.

You'll also run into geniuses like this in the cryptocurrency community who think they're the first person in the world to invent mail fraud: https://webcache.googleusercontent....n&ct=clnk&gl=us

quote:

Thinking about making an Amazon order for a new computer. The computer would be around $1300.

I've seen the forum website for the Amazon fraud stuff and did a little bit of research. Have not recently looked at any listings on any markets for the service. Although I've seen they charge around 10%.

I am interested in doing it myself and social engineering the refund unless the community thinks otherwise. From what I've seen people say that the 10% is not worth paying if have the balls to do it yourself.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 19, 2017