Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That's pretty cool. I like the tactical implications of some potentially uncontrollable units (reminds me of the old war dogs in rome).

Berserkers were my favorite unit in R2, a unit would have 1 dude left with 300 kills lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ammanas posted:

Berserkers were my favorite unit in R2, a unit would have 1 dude left with 300 kills lol

Berserkers were my favorite unit in R1, a unit would have 1 dude left with 3000 kills lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I remember little me setting up a siege battle with a normal Roman army defending against 20 units of berserkers.

(the berserkers won)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you don't actively set up custom battles where you defend against an all-melee infantry army every so often, then idk what to tell you but you're not really playing total war.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Zombies vs gunline

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Zombies vs gunline

It's nice because you can use a checkerboard with riflemen and free company militia for SO MANY guns. It's kind of fun using wood elfs with the splitting arrows but guns are cooler and more fun.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

4 stacks of zombies
1 stack of iron breakers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I love it when you get that critical mass of ranged units that the enemy just disintegrates before they can even get into melee.

SFO gets master engineers for dwarves which are like engineers on crack and since the skills stack you can have insanely fast firing quarrelers and Thunderers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What mods are reccommended for improving AI recruitment and/or trait choices? Stuff that makes blue skills better would be nice too

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Panfilo posted:

I love it when you get that critical mass of ranged units that the enemy just disintegrates before they can even get into melee.

Much as I like the lizardmen, one of the things I'm most looking forward to is setting all the elves and dinos and rats on fire with flame cannons, then pummeling them into oblivion with rockets and thunderers before they get anywhere near dwarf lines.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The best is three armies of boys underground vs a stack of ironbreakers. Or Vlad+19 vamps vs whatever.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I can't quite put my finger on it but the campaign doesn't really seem to be clicking for me for some reason, especially compared to Shogun 2. For one there isn't as much time pressure, and in general it just doesn't feel as interesting- maybe because I'm not as good at the tactical game so fighting battles isn't as much fun, but even then the AI tends to have really weird army compositions so they're not as much fun to fight. Part of it might also be that it's harder to get an intuitive grasp of what unit is good against what, especially considering tech and general buffs. I'm not really sure how to fix it- I think part of the problem is that I'm being insufficiently aggressive, but I'm also not good at knowing when to stop and rebuild armies. Province management in general is kinda boring as well, and I think I spend too much time trying to grow my cities.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

So I can't quite put my finger on it but the campaign doesn't really seem to be clicking for me for some reason, especially compared to Shogun 2. For one there isn't as much time pressure, and in general it just doesn't feel as interesting- maybe because I'm not as good at the tactical game so fighting battles isn't as much fun, but even then the AI tends to have really weird army compositions so they're not as much fun to fight. Part of it might also be that it's harder to get an intuitive grasp of what unit is good against what, especially considering tech and general buffs. I'm not really sure how to fix it- I think part of the problem is that I'm being insufficiently aggressive, but I'm also not good at knowing when to stop and rebuild armies. Province management in general is kinda boring as well, and I think I spend too much time trying to grow my cities.

What faction are you playing?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dwarfs: kinda cool but lack of mobility sucks and fighting endless Greenskins you wallop easily in the Badlands is boring (was on normal tho)
Empire: probably the most fun but got kinda burned out while fighting Chaos
Bret: same as above except midgame wasn't as much fun
Skarsnik: early game was really fun if a little slow but now Chaos is everywhere and the Dwarfs won the war against Greenskins so I'm having to take on both at once with a base of like three provinces

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

It is amazing just how draining hard can be on the diplomatic front. Almost every Empire faction had the distrust the empire trait and different dwarf factions keep on declaring war on me despite me doing jackshit. Add that to the fact that declaring war on the vampire counts after they ended the non-aggression treaty tanked my rep for no reason. On the plus side I got to enjoy watching Manred watch as I chewed up his entire army before he finally could be bothered to charge my lines.

if they haven't actually declared war the don't-find-a-reason-to-backstab-them timer should still be going.

In other news, I'm finally getting around to my vlad the daaad campaign and the empire's stopping my zombiespam via agent army blobs. I'm getting the idea I'll need to start blobbing up more of my 8-9 vampires to stop them

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Beastman campaigns are always a good palate cleanser after realizing you haven't manually fought a battle for the past few hours of your last campaign

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

StashAugustine posted:

Dwarfs: kinda cool but lack of mobility sucks and fighting endless Greenskins you wallop easily in the Badlands is boring (was on normal tho)
Empire: probably the most fun but got kinda burned out while fighting Chaos
Bret: same as above except midgame wasn't as much fun
Skarsnik: early game was really fun if a little slow but now Chaos is everywhere and the Dwarfs won the war against Greenskins so I'm having to take on both at once with a base of like three provinces

Skarsnik sounds fun. The game in general has a difficulty problem, if you're not just flat stomping everyone after turn 60 something went really sideways. This is true of every total war game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Beastman campaigns are always a good palate cleanser after realizing you haven't manually fought a battle for the past few hours of your last campaign

Seconded. Beastmen require you to fight most, if not all, battles and they make it fun to do so. 90+ speed dudes running around, minotaurs getting 20-30 kills instantly on a charge, magic worth a drat. Beastmen are cool and good.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Do we know if the High Elves get access to mages with Lore of Life? Or if say High Magic has healing spells? That would create a very effective synergy with their martial prowess trait being dependent on unit health.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Do we know if the High Elves get access to mages with Lore of Life? Or if say High Magic has healing spells? That would create a very effective synergy with their martial prowess trait being dependent on unit health.

We don't know their lores but High Magic does have a healing spell. It also has the lore attribute Shield of Sapphery which in TT grants the entire army a small ward save every time a spell is cast.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

If you don't think province management is good here and don't like the battles... Why are you playing total war, or at least this one in particular?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

madmac posted:

We don't know their lores but High Magic does have a healing spell. It also has the lore attribute Shield of Sapphery which in TT grants the entire army a small ward save every time a spell is cast.

That sounds pretty good. Mages in a supporting role casting buffs that reduce incoming damage and heal damage taken should do wonders for a High Elf army I think.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

StashAugustine posted:

It took me a while to get the hang of how TWW plays a little differently from other TW games, but you seem to have put in a decent amount of time with different factions already. It could be that the game isn't for you, but perhaps modding some of the parts of the game you don't enjoy would help.

You mentioned enemy armies not having fun compositions to fight, perhaps this mod would mitigate that for you:
Better AI Recruitment and Army Composition: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692306546

You didn't bring up enemy agents, but I found the game much more fun with this mod enabled, as I am not a supercomputer:
No Aggressive AI Agents: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=789208465

And just for some quality of life in case these minor things added to the un-fun:
UI Unit markers: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691730691
Better Camera Mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=690476829
Instant Quest Battles: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=808802871

Also thirding a Beastman campaign if you own the DLC, they are a lot of fun to play and feel very different from the rest of the factions.

Hope some of that helps! :orks101:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

StashAugustine posted:

The tactical game really isn't very different to Shogun 2, I'm not sure why you'd be worse at Warhammer than that. The same basic hammer + anvil works just as well as it has ever since Shogun 1. Sure there's spells and dragons and poo poo now but the same basic skills apply. Those skills being "make a line of tanky infantry, flank with cavalry (or ogres or whatever), win". If you wanna get fancy you can do Dwarf checkerboard or maybe kite with Wood Elves or whatever, but tank & spank still works with every faction.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Randarkman posted:

In the TT high elves (and dark elves) had access to all the lores of magic, so presumably

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

In the TT high elves (and dark elves) had access to all the lores of magic, so presumably

This appears to not be the case in Warhammer though, as one of the CA guys said that High Elves won't have all lores on release.

I mean, I fully expect High Elves will still have Life, because it's near the top of thematic lores for them and especially the EverQueen.

Still, I expect High Elves, Dark Elves, and Lizardmen will all have limited lore access in game.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is it impossible to make a mod that lets you respec skills? Confederated with vlad and ai chose poo poo skills. No mods for this out there, can it be done?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

That province capital building slots mod is amazing. I'm glad that CA is basically copying it for the second game, because it works REALLY well. I mean, it does kind of de-emphasize secondary settlements, but honestly gently caress it, overall it makes poo poo work better.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gonkish posted:

That province capital building slots mod is amazing. I'm glad that CA is basically copying it for the second game, because it works REALLY well. I mean, it does kind of de-emphasize secondary settlements, but honestly gently caress it, overall it makes poo poo work better.

Yeah, I think I agree, having read the mod description. High-level buildings are already limited enough by their sheer expense, and this should make it easier to field a balanced force.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

Can you provide a link to the mod?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Hunt11 posted:

Can you provide a link to the mod?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=884135649&searchtext=

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Firing this up after having it my Library for a while. Are there any good combat mods that slow the pace down a little like a few from Rome 2? I definitely enjoyed the slower paced battles with those mods.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Unzip and Attack posted:

Firing this up after having it my Library for a while. Are there any good combat mods that slow the pace down a little like a few from Rome 2? I definitely enjoyed the slower paced battles with those mods.

Get Steel Faith.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wiegieman posted:

Get Steel Faith.

I really like steel faith but my old cpu can't keep up with the larger unit sizes in battles that have 3 full stacks (which happens quite often in the mod).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That's an option in the settings my friend.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

That's an option in the settings my friend.

True... I guess i could go down to medium unit sizes. I'd probably also need to find a mod to nerf the magic a little bit then. The mod makes me dread the foot of gork.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Am I the only one who thinks lord and hero hp scale a little too much on ultra?

At the very least I'd make them autoshatter if the rest of their army is running.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

toasterwarrior posted:

Mammon, if you're still following along: unfortunately, I don't think "Thwoppa, Thwoppa" (army buff skill, armor and missile damage) works at all. Similarly, the Pressure-regulating Valves tech only works with the range buff; the reload rate bonus and missile damage bonus both don't work. The rest of the techs work fine, though.

EDIT: as a follow-up, even without these buffs, Steam Gun Gyrocopters have been the MVPs of most of my battles against the Greenskins. Holy poo poo are they fantastic. Gonna miss them when actual Chaos comes knocking.

Alright, "Thoppa, Thwoppa" should be fixed. I also changed it to reduce reload time since it is impossible to give a % increase to splash damage. Technology should reduce reload times now as well, although the bugged range increase from vanilla is still in.

I'm not sure why the +% melee damage skill isn't working for blasting charge miners. Even if I specifically call them out in the skill they aren't getting bonus damage. I'll have to look into it some more.

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Did they ever add regiments of renown for the beastmen or the other early DLC factions? Any plans to been announced/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Did they ever add regiments of renown for the beastmen or the other early DLC factions? Any plans to been announced/

Still no regiments of renown for DLC factions, they mentioned that the upcoming Faction DLC (the one that's the early adopter bonus for Warhammer 2) is coming with a FLC that "benefits DLC owners" but what this means, and what form this benefit takes, has not been clarified yet.

• Locked thread