Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

dentist toy box posted:

Omg this is amazing.

I love how the mystery diver skips over and then skips away like he's so ludicrously happy at the funny prank he just pulled off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

McMadCow posted:

I love how the mystery diver skips over and then skips away like he's so ludicrously happy at the funny prank he just pulled off.

If only he knew what chaos he was about to unleash.

And what misery.

Also, Corvette isn't... upset? https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/corvette-team-cant-feel-bad-despite-last-lap-defeat-920229/

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
How old is the Aston that won GTE? If that's what you can do with BoP, why are the manufacturers interested in coming up with new models or doing any sort of development work that isn't strictly reliability? I get the reasons for not doing a free formula or homologation or whatever, but I'm not really seeing what the appeal to the manufacturer is. Made for some neat close racing though, so at least we the fans win!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

iospace posted:

If only he knew what chaos he was about to unleash.

And what misery.

Also, Corvette isn't... upset? https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/corvette-team-cant-feel-bad-despite-last-lap-defeat-920229/

I love the Taylor's and was sad about this =/

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

McMadCow posted:

I really hope the FIA figures out who that was and both literally and figuratively throw the book at them.

And if there currently isn't a specific rule against that you bet your rear end there will be before the 6hr Nürburgring race. (Though tbh FIA can use some really broad "Unsportsmanlike conduct" rule for this one.)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I wanted an easy way to look at which GT cars competed in which years (like, did Aston Martin, Porsche Ferrari and Viper all race against each other in so and so year?) then before I knew it I had spent all day on it and welp

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nK-jB5yI2QaHqB0fw9AHiUvPpvubTup206KcJnKR754/pubhtml

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Kilonum posted:

I really hope the FIA figures out who that was and both literally and figuratively throw the book at them.

And if there currently isn't a specific rule against that you bet your rear end there will be before the 6hr Nürburgring race. (Though tbh FIA can use some really broad "Unsportsmanlike conduct" rule for this one.)

Yeah like that person should literally never race in an FIA event again

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Missed all but an hour of the race. Was too busy this weekend to have chance to get to sit down and enjoy it. I might need to watch the whole thing from start to finish from the sound of it.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

Kilonum posted:

Based on my super serious INTERNET SLEUTHING, it was Vincent Capillaire (from looking at the sponsors on the suit and the helmet design), one of the drivers of the #45 LMP2 car.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Lord Crapulus posted:

Based on my super serious INTERNET SLEUTHING, it was Vincent Capillaire (from looking at the sponsors on the suit and the helmet design), one of the drivers of the #45 LMP2 car.

Haha yep that's him

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

It technically is a road car.

To be a street car in the rules at that time, they needed to designate a trunk.

The designer pointed to the area where the fuel tank was and said it was also the trunk.

The designer was French, so.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC Mercedes just built a completely inaccessible cubby hole near the wheel well, under the car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't think it was for GT1 but didn't Porsche once argue that since they had the amount of cars necessary in parts that they met the homologation requirements?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Ford GT at least TRIES to be a street car, even though it absolutely is a race car that's street legal.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The fake marshal story is hilarious but the video looks like the driver guy is just goofing around doing the 'hey i'm a hitchhiker' joke thing, not like trying to tell him to go past the yellow.

Also that is an insanely stupid thing to blame the clutch failing on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't think it was for GT1 but didn't Porsche once argue that since they had the amount of cars necessary in parts that they met the homologation requirements?

In Group A people would do poo poo like build 500 evolution models and immediately strip them of all the race parts before they went on sale as normal sporty models, so it wouldn't surprise me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The fake marshal story is hilarious but the video looks like the driver guy is just goofing around doing the 'hey i'm a hitchhiker' joke thing, not like trying to tell him to go past the yellow.

Also that is an insanely stupid thing to blame the clutch failing on.

The clutch failing was a different car. That car went out, collided with another, and well, it was damaged to the point where it couldn't drag itself to the pits under electric power without risking severe body damage because the gearbox was toast.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

iospace posted:

The clutch failing was a different car. That car went out, collided with another, and well, it was damaged to the point where it couldn't drag itself to the pits under electric power without risking severe body damage because the gearbox was toast.

Huh? This is the #7 of Kamui and Toyota already said this guy waving Kamui to go ahead lead to the clutch burning out cause Kamui was stopping and going numerous times because of confusion as to what to do now that he was out on track and wasn't actually supposed to be.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The #7 was the one with the clutch failure I thought

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wirth1000 posted:

Huh? This is the #7 of Kamui and Toyota already said this guy waving Kamui to go ahead lead to the clutch burning out cause Kamui was stopping and going numerous times because of confusion as to what to do now that he was out on track and wasn't actually supposed to be.

Ok I'm getting my cars confused. I blame the fact I've been up since 6 and had to deal with fathers day service at work.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How do you burn the clutch on something as sophisticated as an LMP1? Don't tell me those things actually have three pedals??

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
F1 cars would be similarly hosed by doing the same thing

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Basticle posted:

I wanted an easy way to look at which GT cars competed in which years (like, did Aston Martin, Porsche Ferrari and Viper all race against each other in so and so year?) then before I knew it I had spent all day on it and welp

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nK-jB5yI2QaHqB0fw9AHiUvPpvubTup206KcJnKR754/pubhtml

I never knew there was a manufacturer named Kudzu.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/06/19/gordon-appear-court-super-trucks-incident/

Robbie Gordon took his stadium super truck onto public roads, performed donuts. The police were not amused.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

How do you burn the clutch on something as sophisticated as an LMP1? Don't tell me those things actually have three pedals??

They don't have 3 pedals, they still have a clutch though, Kamui stopping and starting repeatedly required him to use the clutch because the engine had already been started. Normally you pull in under electric power, start the engine after the pit stop, and then proceed out of the pits. Having to go/stop/go/stop repeatedly in quick succession heated the clutch to the point of burning up.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 19, 2017

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

iospace posted:

Wonder who will provide engines

The Ginettas are supposed to be using a direct-injection version of the Mechachrome built GP2 engine.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I highly doubt that killed the clutch. I would wager that people with Toyota are looking for something to blame for the fact that they outspent everyone, had the fastest car, brought 3 of them, and finished behind P2 cars. Pretty natural reaction, but isn't going to change anything in the end.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

I highly doubt that killed the clutch. I would wager that people with Toyota are looking for something to blame for the fact that they outspent everyone, had the fastest car, brought 3 of them, and finished behind P2 cars. Pretty natural reaction, but isn't going to change anything in the end.

Clutches in race cars are barely ever used. They're really only used for getting started from a stop to keep from killing the engine, other than that they're not used at all because dog box. If the clutch is designed to not be used much, it is extremely light, and likely easy to kill.

Though I wonder if they couldn't have just gotten the car going under electric and then chucked it into gear once it got up to a speed where they wouldn't have killed the engine?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 19, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I would've assumed a car designed to run for 24 hours would be capable of using the clutch a few times.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

A few times yes, a few times in a few seconds? Maybe not, because it's not something that generally happens so save the weight.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

So I'm going to go back to the Balance of Performance debate and just say this:
It makes Ford GT fans whine like crazy, especially this year when Ford sandbagged like crazy and still got nailed, so I'm 100% a-ok with it.

Cygni posted:

They absolutely are looking for excuses.
At the end of the day though, that's just how Le Mans goes. They were winning WEC handily, and I hope they're back again next year.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And they still finished 2nd, less than a second an hour back.

So clearly there's nothing wrong here.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Lord Crapulus posted:

How old is the Aston that won GTE? If that's what you can do with BoP, why are the manufacturers interested in coming up with new models or doing any sort of development work that isn't strictly reliability? I get the reasons for not doing a free formula or homologation or whatever, but I'm not really seeing what the appeal to the manufacturer is. Made for some neat close racing though, so at least we the fans win!

It was new for 2016 iirc.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Bentai posted:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/06/19/gordon-appear-court-super-trucks-incident/

Robbie Gordon took his stadium super truck onto public roads, performed donuts. The police were not amused.

Australia forever the lamest country.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

drgitlin posted:

It was new for 2016 iirc.

Aston Martin has been running a Vantage since like 2011 (and they also entered with one in 2009). It's been updated to take full advantage of shifting regulations during that time, but it's been the same platform the whole way through. Next year the platform changes to the replacement for the Vantage which is yet to be unveiled. Some lower-tier non-works Astons will still be the current Vantage because money.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

dentist toy box posted:

Australia forever the lamest country.

"Anti-hooning legislation"

Is hooning one of those terms that was around for ages but only became popular after Ken Block took it on?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

I would've assumed a car designed to run for 24 hours would be capable of using the clutch a few times.

Capable of using it in between stints to dissipate the heat. I doubt the clutch directly failed but would bet the heat cooked the throwout bearing or something along those lines.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
If their argument is that the clutch isn't designed to handle that situation then they need to design a better clutch. It is a 24 hour endurance race and another car stalling on the pit exit or any number of a billion things could have happened in front of the Toyota to make it pop the clutch twice in a few seconds.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Schlesische posted:

Aston Martin has been running a Vantage since like 2011 (and they also entered with one in 2009). It's been updated to take full advantage of shifting regulations during that time, but it's been the same platform the whole way through. Next year the platform changes to the replacement for the Vantage which is yet to be unveiled. Some lower-tier non-works Astons will still be the current Vantage because money.

Not just money, GTE Am classes rules require the car to be at least a year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
An amazing amount of low effort arm chair engineering going on. Yeah the clutch died but if you over engineer everything for every situation you end up with a slow tank. Any of the prototypes running at full tune isn't going to last very long, it's the nature of the class.

On top of that there are bunches of parts you're not allowed to harden or change due to regs...

• Locked thread