Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

AggressivelyStupid posted:

If the pacers then take the guy the Celtics want, :discourse:

I think Danny wants either Jackson or Tatum so it wouldn't matter that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I want maximum draft chaos dang it!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I want maximum draft chaos dang it!

Well, that I am sure you will witness

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How did Shaq leave Orlando after only 4 years? Was RFA not a thing back then?

Not sure. I'm pretty sure, though, that max contracts were not a thing and Orlando scoffed at the money Shaq wanted.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If Boston does add Hayward and/or Butler I don't think you can just assume Cleveland will be in the Finals. The ground between those teams is pretty likely to close, especially if Boston starts making trades. Love matches up well against that Boston team, arm bars not withstanding.

Codependent Poster posted:

I think they would throw money at Hayward because he would draw fans himself, and it would take the sting out of losing PG.

So long, PG. You were awesome and I hope you go help a team beat the Warriors!

Not sure why Hayward would take a paycut to leave a somewhat promising Utah team to go play for an awful Indiana team with no PG. And if Indiana loses PG, they should be gunning for picks not trying to chase a 30 win season with Hayward.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Lockback posted:

Not sure why Hayward would take a paycut to leave a somewhat promising Utah team to go play for an awful Indiana team with no PG. And if Indiana loses PG, they should be gunning for picks not trying to chase a 30 win season with Hayward.

Just looking at their history, Indy would absolutely chase a 30-win season.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

morestuff posted:

Yeah dude I would be shocked if the franchise ever tanked. That's just because in addition to Simon being a cheapass, he's also a moron. Look at what happened after the malice in the palace: didn't tank and eventually we ended up with Granger who was picked 17th in '05. PG was drafted 10th. They haven't had a Top 5 pick since '86.

Now as a Butler man who has liked how Hayward has grown, I would not mind chasing him. Especially if we can flip PG for a player and a first for this year.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah I just wouldn't recommend the fart sniffing or cousin loving

Hey everyone's related to some degree, at some point you're just quibbling over how closely, and cousinsex is legal in (checks Wikipedia) most US states, including California so you go and get it KD.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hayward is not going to leave Utah just as they're exiting a long rebuild to go play for another rebuilding team with no hope of contention. Indiana is not the irresistible basketball Mecca that you want it to be. I think he's extremely likely to leave, but if he does it's going to be for a franchise that can actually win.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 19, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Well I never stated that he was for sure coming here. Yeah he's probably not coming here. I wouldn't unless I wanted to come home.

I just said I wouldn't mind the franchise chasing him.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Last year I did a FA guessing game contest and we were all very bad.

Here is the thread again for this year's contest: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824239

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Last year I did a FA guessing game contest and we were all very bad.

Here is the thread again for this year's contest: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824239

Awesome, these are fun

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

morestuff posted:

If Indy doesn't get a good return for PG they are likely to be close to 76ers-pre-Hinkie territory with their roster.

After Myles Turner their 2nd most valuable asset would be Thad Young. I don't think Monta or Big Al would return anything more than a late 2nd round pick in a trade.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

If Indy doesn't get a good return for PG they are likely to be close to 76ers-pre-Hinkie territory with their roster.

After Myles Turner their 2nd most valuable asset would be Thad Young. I don't think Monta or Big Al would return anything more than a late 2nd round pick in a trade.

Assuming they match salaries they're going to have like $50 million in cap space, if they trade PG for picks they could have more. The free agent crop isn't great but that's a lot of ammo to overpay good-not-great dudes.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

My understanding is that Indiana was basketball Mecca but for white people.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They still have Jeff Teague to pay. The annual rate for him, George Hill, Lowry, and Jrue will be fascinating in how many of them get 20+ million a year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is KD a J. Cole fan? That would make the fart thing completely understandable.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Which one of you writes for Veep? My bet is on Dexo

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

some dude on ESPN suggested Saric, Okafor, and picks for Jeff Teague and Paul George

how the mighty have fallen

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Isn't Teague a fa lol.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Jeff Teague is a free agent, also why would Philly want him anyway?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

some dude on ESPN suggested Saric, Okafor, and picks for Jeff Teague and Paul George

how the mighty have fallen

Well how is that going to work? Teague is a free agent. They might as well just sign him.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

pubic works project posted:

Well how is that going to work? Teague is a free agent. They might as well just sign him.

I'm just reporting what I see on TV :v:

but I don't think Philly is at the correct point in their timeline to make a deal for a star player. should just wait out this year to let their new core gel and hope that everyone is healthy

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
Did the Wolves really reject Lavine + #5 for Jimmy Butler, or was that never confirmed?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

maybe when he said "how the mighty have fallen" he meant how Pardon the Interruption had to lay off the guy who searches on google and corrects all the poo poo Tony Kornheiser got wrong during the show.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BWV posted:

Which one of you writes for Veep? My bet is on Dexo

The better visual was Kent as a combination of Kareem and Rambis

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

This is why you don't fire literally every person who knows anything about a sport you cover.

Also, I know I'm real late but isn't Fultz supposed to be the closest thing to can't miss in this draft?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

morestuff posted:

Assuming they match salaries they're going to have like $50 million in cap space, if they trade PG for picks they could have more. The free agent crop isn't great but that's a lot of ammo to overpay good-not-great dudes.

If Indy is dumb enough to try to make the playoffs without PG, I would guess they would try to sign a couple role players and then re-sign Teague and Miles. But that would likely put them in an even worse position. If you thought Turner, Parsons, and Biyombo's contracts were bad, just wait until you see how much Dion Waiters would need to move to Indy and play on a team centered around Teague/CJ Miles/Lance/Thad/Myles and Big All.

Tae posted:

They still have Jeff Teague to pay. The annual rate for him, George Hill, Lowry, and Jrue will be fascinating in how many of them get 20+ million a year.

I think Pritchard is too smart to try to re-sign Teague and CJ Miles. I expect a full rebuild.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

If Indy is dumb enough to try to make the playoffs without PG, I would guess they would try to sign a couple role players and then re-sign Teague and Miles. But that would likely put them in an even worse position. If you thought Turner, Parsons, and Biyombo's contracts were bad, just wait until you see how much Dion Waiters would need to move to Indy and play on a team centered around Teague/CJ Miles/Lance/Thad/Myles and Big All.

I think Pritchard is too smart to try to re-sign Teague and CJ Miles. I expect a full rebuild.

Simon won't allow it. They have never tanked. They'll re-sign both and go after Hayward so they can show the fans that they tried and it's all PG's fault and not theirs.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sixers should give JJ Redick 3/60

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

I'm just reporting what I see on TV :v:

but I don't think Philly is at the correct point in their timeline to make a deal for a star player. should just wait out this year to let their new core gel and hope that everyone is healthy

Love is actually perfect because he comes off the books right before Simmons mega deal which means they will have one more shot at a fa in 2019

Or sign someone like reddick for 2 years

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oops nevermind love on the books for 19-20

He's signed for 3 years and would be perfect for the sixers man. Idk. Seems good.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Akileese posted:

This is why you don't fire literally every person who knows anything about a sport you cover.

Also, I know I'm real late but isn't Fultz supposed to be the closest thing to can't miss in this draft?

He isn't a can't miss franchise player (some questions about his poor free throw percentage and whether that means his shooting isn't as good as advertised, effort on defence is a concern, pretty good but not exceptional passer for a pg) , though he does have big time all-star potential. One thing about him is that his floor is very high - even if his shot is average at the NBA level and he isn't great defensively he is going to be a good 6th man/low-end starter.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Someone is a bit cranky that they chose MCW over the Lakers pick.

https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/876822079554945024

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Trust The Results doesn't sound as catchy.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

hot daughter
check it and see

better at drafting than vivek ranadive

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Simon won't allow it. They have never tanked. They'll re-sign both and go after Hayward so they can show the fans that they tried and it's all PG's fault and not theirs.

Yuuuuup

This is the team that makes a profit, begs the city for more cash, and complains endlessly about attendance. And when Simon finally dies, the team will be sold to someone who will move it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

He's signed for 3 years and would be perfect for the sixers man. Idk. Seems good.

getting love would require the 76ers to basically say "gently caress you" to Dario. They need PF minutes for him and Simmons anyway.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Does this kind of policing of blackness/greatness seem super regressive to anyone else? I don't even like Curry, and it's not unreasonable to suspect he hasn't faced all of the same challenges some other players have faced in their lives, but very heavily suggesting he's not black enough to be the best basketball player in the world seems pretty hosed up.

http://theundefeated.com/features/last-word-on-the-nba-finals-lebron-james-kevin-durant/

"As one Hall of Famer specifically stated during the NBA Finals: “LeBron and other players in this league will never accept Curry as the best player. Never! Not only because they don’t consider him a physical freak, or even someone who’s better than them. But their refusal is also because they don’t view him as someone who had to endure the trials and tribulations they’ve endured.

“The public scrutiny. The negativity. Barely any of that. They view Curry as someone folks wanted us all to accept, not as someone like them you were forced to accept because of his greatness. They don’t dislike Curry at all. It’s not his fault. But they do look at him and society … and some say: He’s one of THEM. They would never say that about Durant.”

Translation: Nobody’s writing racial epithets on Curry’s front gate. Nor will anybody be talking behind his back about his family, his “posse,” his representation, his family background, pressuring him to conform to a definition of acceptability — or perform at such a surreal level that it simply doesn’t matter."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

I've actually been seeing, not from any of the big names, the Sixers linked to Love as the third team in a deal for PG

• Locked thread