Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I want gun-camera footage of that shootdown

Brown Moses do the needful tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The problem isn't that Russia is going to actively shoot down US planes on purpose, but that both the US and Russia are adding more idiot juice to this retard souffle and one day someone is accidentally gonna shoot the wrong person and welp

So you're saying....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-JA1ffd5Ms

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

TBeats posted:

Countdown until congressional republicans try to just change the rules begins now

Republicans will now start bullhorning to their brain dead voting base through their propaganda network about "unprecedented Democrat obstructionism".

...and it will work because the gold fish memoried idiots really are that dumb and so far up their own assholes with political tribalism that all they care about is getting mad at the other team.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

quote:

EU proposes banning encryption backdoors
End-to-end security could be mandatory across most of Europe.

The European Union might want it to be easier for police to obtain data, but that doesn't mean it'll be easy for officers to read that data. The European Parliament has proposed amended regulation that would not only require end-to-end encryption when available, but forbid backdoors that offer guaranteed access to law enforcement. EU residents need to know that the "confidentiality and safety" of their data is "guaranteed," according to the draft, and backdoors risk "weakening" that privacy.

The proposal has to be approved by Parliament and then reviewed by the EU Council, so there's still a chance that the rules will be softened if and when the amendments pass.

If they do clear, though, they could set up a conflict between the EU and countries that aren't so fond of encryption. The UK is undoubtedly the main concern, even after it leaves the EU. A ban on backdoors would make it difficult for the country to enforce the Investigatory Powers Act's requirement that companies remove "electronic protection" when possible. How would that be meaningful when virtually every tech company in Europe is encrypting data traffic? You're not likely to see UK-specific versions of apps that introduce security holes.

This would also thwart the efforts of some American politicians (such as Senators Richard Burr and Dianne Feinstein) to effectively ban airtight encryption. While those proposals have largely stalled, they'd face an even tougher battle in Congress if it meant pitting American and European security policies against each other. Simply put, the EU could wind up dictating encryption strength well beyond its member states' borders.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/19/eu-proposes-banning-encryption-backdoors/

It feels weird to see a legislative body making seemingly informed, pro-consumer laws regarding technology :stare:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

bird food bathtub posted:

Republicans will now start bullhorning to their brain dead voting base through their propaganda network about "unprecedented Democrat obstructionism".

...and it will work because the gold fish memoried idiots really are that dumb and so far up their own assholes with political tribalism that all they care about is getting mad at the other team.

I'm not trying to create an excuse for them, but if they do get their news from fox news and etc. they wouldn't have heard about the republicans obstructing everything the dems tried for 8 years. I'm just gonna repeat myself and say rupert murdoch needs to loving die already.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I got polled yesterday for an obvious right wing firm. Holy poo poo the questions were all loaded as gently caress.

The scripted questions asked such agree/disagree things as "I think that obamacare (not PPACA) should be repealed or significantly changed," "i support democratic obstruction and refusal to work with President Trump," and "i support middle class tax cuts and a lowered corporate rate to incentivize growth"

It felt like it was deliberately worded so that anything horrible was coupled with good things so they can call democrats assholes for saying no.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I got polled yesterday for an obvious right wing firm. Holy poo poo the questions were all loaded as gently caress.

The scripted questions asked such agree/disagree things as "I think that obamacare (not PPACA) should be repealed or significantly changed," "i support democratic obstruction and refusal to work with President Trump," and "i support middle class tax cuts and a lowered corporate rate to incentivize growth"

It felt like it was deliberately worded so that anything horrible was coupled with good things so they can call democrats assholes for saying no.

If it's any comfort, that means they're taking their clients' money and giving them a falsified ego-boost in lieu of actionable data.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I'm not trying to create an excuse for them, but if they do get their news from fox news and etc. they wouldn't have heard about the republicans obstructing everything the dems tried for 8 years. I'm just gonna repeat myself and say rupert murdoch needs to loving die already.

People on the right either don't care about or approve of Republican obstructionism because they wanted Republicans to stymie Obama's agenda. They hate Democratic obstructionism because it is hindering a Republican agenda.

Sort of like how leftists who spent Obama's second term complaining about the death of Congressional norms and good governance are now applauding dems for "finding their spine."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Finding their spines and doing something that ultimately will amount to nothing more than a rule change.

Democrats cannot really obstruct right now vs the 6 years republicans controlled at least one congressional house under Obama. Republican obstructionism actually blocked things.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

Sort of like how leftists who spent Obama's second term complaining about the death of Congressional norms and good governance are now applauding dems for "finding their spine."

Mr. Nice! posted:

Democrats cannot really obstruct right now vs the 6 years republicans controlled at least one congressional house under Obama. Republican obstructionism actually blocked things.

Yeah, this isn't even the same thing. The Republicans are practically ruling out of spite, and spent 6 years dragging their feet on every little thing to pass what largely now amounts to poisonous vitriolic bills.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The 6 years of 'obstructionism' pale in comparison to spending 2 years with a super majority doing approximately jack poo poo besides hosting West Wing rewatch parties and back-clapping sessions

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Finding their spines and doing something that ultimately will amount to nothing more than a rule change.

So if Dems had a majority in one house of Congress and could effectively stall Trump and the Republicans' efforts to repeal environmental regulation, or blow up the ACA, or replace the next Supreme Court justice to kick the bucket with SSJ Gorsuch 2, you would think they shouldn't do it?

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, this isn't even the same thing. The Republicans are practically ruling out of spite, and spent 6 years dragging their feet on every little thing to pass what largely now amounts to poisonous vitriolic bills.
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

The 6 years of 'obstructionism' pale in comparison to spending 2 years with a super majority doing approximately jack poo poo besides hosting West Wing rewatch parties and back-clapping sessions

quote:

I know when the Democrats did not have a super majority: in the first two years of the Obama administration.

Republicans often say that Obama didn't accomplish anything during his first two years as president even though the Democrats had the majority of both houses of Congress, but this is what happened. A super majority, i.e., enough senators to break a filibuster, requires 60 senators. In January 2009, when the new Congress was sworn in, the Democrats had a coalition of 59 senators—57 Democrats plus two Independents who caucused with the Democrats. You’ll recognize the Independents’ names: Bernie Sanders and Joe Lieberman.

One seat was vacant: the Minnesota seat that had been held by Republican Norm Coleman, but which Al Franken won by a few hundred votes. Coleman demanded a recount, likely on orders from Mitch McConnell and the rest of the Republican leadership to stall as long as possible so that Franken couldn’t be seated.

Meanwhile, Ted Kennedy was dying of a brain tumor and after March 2009, stopped coming to work. The Minnesota recount and associated litigation finally ended in July 2009 and Franken was sworn in. A month later, Kennedy died. His seat remained vacant until Republican Scott Brown won a special election to fill it.

Republicans’ intransigence and avowed intention to make Barack Obama a one-term president resulted in filibusters being conducted almost routinely. A supermajority of Democrats in the Senate was needed to pass any legislation. But because of the delay in seating Franken and the death of Kennedy, the Democrats never had a supermajority.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Are you just pretending the AHCA bill is in good taste? Or are you pretending the GOP in any way is passing any bills other than ones that will benefit anyone but themselves and their wealthy constituents only?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 19, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Burn it all down and start fresh imo.

I'm talking about the world and not just America

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Burn it all down and start fresh imo.

I'm talking about the world and not just America

I think we should start with America.

I'm convinced that revolution is the only way we fix the government. But in the age of being able to bitch on Facebook, such a thing will never ever happen.

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007
Shut up cole

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The Pope posted:

Shut up cole

gently caress off bitch

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

It's a new month (I think) so it's another 'stop reading WaPo' post

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/876826106069954560

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

that's a titty

drunk thread 24hrs

per madonna

my french

Simón José Antonio de la Santísima Trinidad Bolívar y Palacios

says

SwampDonkey fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 19, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Hot Karl Marx posted:

It's a new month (I think) so it's another 'stop reading WaPo' post

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/876826106069954560

Are people still mad about the opinion sections of newspapers?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The only way republicans pay a price for breaking norms is if democrats also break norms. A race to the bottom is more fair than one side playing by easier rules than the other.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
holy gently caress Kushner actually spoke

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/876857082556944385

comforting that he's full of poo poo, as expected

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Larry Parrish posted:

Dems never had a super majority and we do not have a public option with the ACA thanks to Joe Lieberman.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

SwampDonkey posted:

that's a titty

drunk thread 24hrs

per madonna

my french

Simón José Antonio de la Santísima Trinidad Bolívar y Palacios

says

I get the feeling you're drunk or on drugs pretty much 24/7.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dems never had a super majority and we do not have a public option with the ACA thanks to Joe Lieberman.

I pointed that out, its an old GOP talking point that likes to make the rounds as proof the Dems don't do anything when given power.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mr. Nice! posted:

gently caress Joe Lieberman

It needs to be said periodically

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yeah hes a shithead

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

Are people still mad about the opinion sections of newspapers?

My Dick Is Huge (And My Daughter Wife Loves It)

By Donald J. Trump

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

facialimpediment posted:

holy gently caress Kushner actually spoke

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/876857082556944385

comforting that he's full of poo poo, as expected

Well, they have. We never heard about Obama yelling at TVs :colbert:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anta posted:

Well, they have. We never heard about Obama yelling at TVs :colbert:
Barry and Joe yelling advice at Whacky Races episodes they've seen 20 times before.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Supreme Court ruled unanimously that sex offenders can access Facebook :buddy: so now EBB can have his profile back

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I deleted my account IRL.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

death count of London fire now 79

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

death count of London fire now 79

Have they mentioned anything about their search pattern and/or how much of the building they've searched? Just wondering if they're going floor by floor and are like 5 floors in, or if they're just all over the place depending on stability/accessibility and reporting bodies as they stumble over them.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

idk but its def triple digits

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My general point is that when your two major political party are both liberals in the actual political sense and the nation is already liberalized, you're basically voting to allow a bunch of old shitheads to live in DC on the government dollar

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

idk but its def triple digits

yup

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Are you just pretending the AHCA bill is in good taste? Or are you pretending the GOP in any way is passing any bills other than ones that will benefit anyone but themselves and their wealthy constituents only?
The GOP has been against the ACA since it passed, so I don't see why it's at all shocking or gauche for them to repeal it.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

The Pope posted:

Shut up cole

I've been lurking this thread for months and I still don't have any clue what a cole is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

OtspIII posted:

I've been lurking this thread for months and I still don't have any clue what a cole is.

that is best

• Locked thread