Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpWDxc97hJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vZ3b5coZho

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That character is definitely based on Chris but of course they wouldn't make it super obvious since Chris is a living horror show.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

QUIET TAILS!!!!

That was hilarious hahahahaha

WTF I love modern Sonic now???? What??!?!?!?!?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alright you have convinced me tenfold to watch this cartoon.

edit: holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q_EfNJ_0o

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 19, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
This might be a little boring and spergy for most folks, but I found some interesting videos about Sonic gameplay mechanics and what makes them fun \ not fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLJSRJfZkRk

Warning: this one is like an hour and a half long but he has some interesting stuff to say
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AK3n-srj5E

Also I said gently caress it and decided to get all the archie sonic archives up through issue 50 (I had like 8 before) before they become rare and in-demand due to recent events. I think I gave away my old Sonic comics which I kinda regret along with giving away my Game Gear and its whole library (which admittedly was mostly just Sonic games).

It actually surprises people when I tell them I've never played Sonic '06 but I just don't want to pay over $5 for it. It's like $20 on Amazon and I just dunno if I can justify it.

A buddy of mine started doing let's plays so I might do a Sonic thing with him. Mainly because another friend of mine hates Sonic CD and we have to settle the argument once and for all. Mind you, he says Sonic 4 is better so I just take that as someone who doesn't know his Sonics. Which is probably a good thing. Going deep into the Sonic rabbit hole is a dark place. Maybe I'd be a well-adjusted adult if my folks had gotten me a Nintendo instead, but then I see Pokemon and Yoshi fanart and figure that probably isn't true

I do kind of want to do some kind of Sonic retrospective, going over the games, cartoons, comics, etc. Also the fandom. My God the Sonic fandom is so weird, fascinating and terrifying. You could do like an entire thesis on how bizarre Sonic fans can be. There's a reason why I don't often tell people just how much I like Sonic

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Gammatron 64 posted:

It actually surprises people when I tell them I've never played Sonic '06 but I just don't want to pay over $5 for it. It's like $20 on Amazon and I just dunno if I can justify it.

Even after taking into account the current asking prices, sideshow novelty, or even actual merit the game may offer, $20 is way too much. Even though it may appear so-bad-it's-good, it's straight up unfun dealing with all the problems it has. I spent $11 and still regret it. Go watch a Youtube funnyman play it and have a nice time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I got that game within a week of launch and no, there is nothing redeeming about it and you will not mine $20 of entertainment from it so just watch videos instead.

I had a glitch where for 6 lives in a row in a level sonic went straight through the ground to start a mach speed section, killing him instantly over and over until i game overed and had to replay 10 minutes of level.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My favorite was in Radical Train when you trip over a rock, hit the train tracks, and breakdance right along the tracks off into the distance through a wall as you die.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kurieg posted:

My favorite was in Radical Train when you trip over a rock, hit the train tracks, and breakdance right along the tracks off into the distance through a wall as you die.

WhoooAaaOooOoh

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Barudak posted:

WhoooAaaOooOoh

All fairness to Sonic, I'd probably react the same way.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sonic 06

http://i.imgur.com/Hbgc2n8.mp4

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 4, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The worst part of Lost World is that as a grown adult I couldnt beat one of the bosses in the game without looking up a strategy guide because he wont take damage, and in fact will instead hurt you, if you try to attack him without fully charging up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I got Sonic 06 at launch like a proper sucker and don't regret it one bit. That game is comedy gold, great to play while drunk.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 4, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Friendly Factory posted:

This is a small part of the worst part of Lost World: that the game does a piss poor job of explaining its own mechanics.

Yeah, while Lost World wasn't too bad (on the Wii U anyway) it was very experimental and at the same time did a terrible job of explaining it's mechanics (I only just recently figured out how to Light Dash with the Hover Wisp for example). Fortunately from what we've seen Forces seems to be returning to the style of gameplay featured in Unleashed-Generations, which is probably for the best in my opinion.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Unleashed was the beginning of modern sonic gameplay with a middlingly okay God of War clone stapled to it. But seeing as how I am some kind of hideous mutant who played the Dante's Inferno game I probably regard Unleashed more fondly than most people.

The Wii/PS2 version had issues, though.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i still like the actual platforming parts of the werehog stages, the combat is just incredibly whatever and it often goes on for way too long.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Friendly Factory posted:

edit: lol and then he goes on a rant about how Egoraptor apparently ruined everyone's perception of Sonic and that he needs to get good to understand what his feeble little mind can't.

Don't know about the egoraptor part, but I do actually agree that there is a good amount of "git gud" that applies to a bunch of Sonic games to get the best experience. Unleashed and Lost World in particular imo.

Friendly Factory posted:

This is a small part of the worst part of Lost World: that the game does a piss poor job of explaining its own mechanics.

Funnily enough, the 3DS version of Lost world actually explains almost all of it's mechanics properly alongside early level design trying to get you used to the ropes. It's pretty smart in a lot of unexpected ways.

Kurieg posted:

Unleashed was the beginning of modern sonic gameplay with a middlingly okay God of War clone stapled to it. But seeing as how I am some kind of hideous mutant who played the Dante's Inferno game I probably regard Unleashed more fondly than most people.

Nah, you're right that the Werehog was pretty okay. The combat was fine enough once you got enough finishers to start playing around, and the platforming sucks until you realize you can skip most of it with clever movement or holding down the grab button.

Wii version...yeah there's really not much worthwhile in it. The Night levels aren't really better or shorter, the Day levels don't compare, and there isn't any side quests or missions to go back to. The final boss is a lot less frustrating tho

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 4, 2018

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

sharrrk posted:

i still like the actual platforming parts of the werehog stages, the combat is just incredibly whatever and it often goes on for way too long.

And don't forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-d5qfggn2E

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I have played Lost World so I have no idea if those complaints are valid or not. I haven't played a lot of Sonic games made after Adventure 2 because well... I haven't really wanted to. Colors, Generations and half of Unleashed were fun though.

And to be fair, I actually like Egoraptor. He's just a little dumb sometimes. I think that's part of the appeal, actually. He's a lot smarter than Jon Tron at least, but that's not exactly an impressive feat

azurite posted:

Even after taking into account the current asking prices, sideshow novelty, or even actual merit the game may offer, $20 is way too much. Even though it may appear so-bad-it's-good, it's straight up unfun dealing with all the problems it has. I spent $11 and still regret it. Go watch a Youtube funnyman play it and have a nice time.

I did however buy Mega Man for Tandy computers for $30 due to its infamy but it was just to have it and not to actually play it or anything. My excuse is that it's kind of rare and an oddity

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I haven't really played Lost World since beating it over the course of a month after its Wii U launch, so some of this is probably inaccurate, but I recall it controlling like rear end.

Like, theoretically it gives you more control over Sonic at all times, but what I recall was the walking speed is ridiculously slow and the run speed being roughly what you'd want, with no in-between, except the running speed also has virtually no weight to it (like, you can turn on a dime at full tilt, which makes it very easy to overcorrect - a problem 3D Sonic games have had a lot since Heroes, thinking about it), with the exception of when you're in the air (where suddenly you can't really turn at all, excepting maybe the double jump - I forget if that lets you change directions - which led to me jumping directly into pits a lot in the 2D segments). Anyway, walking speed is so ridiculously pathetic that you're encouraged to just hold down the run button at all times like you're playing a Mario game, though the run button is also your parkour button so you're running up things you don't want to run up (which is generally just a minor nuisance in the grand scheme of things, but I thought it bore mentioning anyway - I forget if it actually killed me at any point, though I do think it screwed me out of a Red Ring here or there).

I just found the thing an utter chore to play, that I had to force myself to see to completion. It's not actively terrible like Sonic 2006 was, but it felt like an alright idea that was in dire need of much more tweaking before it'd shine. Knowing how Sonic Team operates, though (ie: throw the baby out with the bathwater every single entry - at least, until they stumbled upon the Unleashed formula), I doubt they're going to go back to do said tweaking, leaving it as the curiosity that it is.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Years out of the loop I checked out the current state of Sonic ROM hacking tools and things have really improved. Tools like SonLVL and flex made editing things easier than ever, and the modern community disassemblies are better than ever - including the disassembled ROM already does wonders for accessibility.

With SonLVL you can select, copy and paste groups of objects or level blocks. You can paste filling in patterns.

Creating new level art is still complicated, but enemy sprites and objects can be png import/exported. Change art, assemble parts how you want, or just edit the pixels right there. flex runs through a web browser or locally.

Even with all these conveniences, it's doubtful Sonic will ever be cut out for a Sonic Maker game. Making levels for Sonic is just more involved. Sonic 2 is shown here but it's basically the same for all of the Genesis-era Sonics. I was surprised to see Chaotix and Sonic CD support.
One kaizo-ish level is the result of me messing with the tools for about half a day. It has a big corkscrew.

For Sonic Mania I'm hoping for a Sonic 3 competition level.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 20, 2017

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

I haven't really played Lost World since beating it over the course of a month after its Wii U launch, so some of this is probably inaccurate, but I recall it controlling like rear end.

Like, theoretically it gives you more control over Sonic at all times, but what I recall was the walking speed is ridiculously slow and the run speed being roughly what you'd want, with no in-between, except the running speed also has virtually no weight to it (like, you can turn on a dime at full tilt, which makes it very easy to overcorrect - a problem 3D Sonic games have had a lot since Heroes, thinking about it), with the exception of when you're in the air (where suddenly you can't really turn at all, excepting maybe the double jump - I forget if that lets you change directions - which led to me jumping directly into pits a lot in the 2D segments). Anyway, walking speed is so ridiculously pathetic that you're encouraged to just hold down the run button at all times like you're playing a Mario game, though the run button is also your parkour button so you're running up things you don't want to run up (which is generally just a minor nuisance in the grand scheme of things, but I thought it bore mentioning anyway - I forget if it actually killed me at any point, though I do think it screwed me out of a Red Ring here or there).

I just found the thing an utter chore to play, that I had to force myself to see to completion. It's not actively terrible like Sonic 2006 was, but it felt like an alright idea that was in dire need of much more tweaking before it'd shine. Knowing how Sonic Team operates, though (ie: throw the baby out with the bathwater every single entry - at least, until they stumbled upon the Unleashed formula), I doubt they're going to go back to do said tweaking, leaving it as the curiosity that it is.

The run button should really only be used for parkour. You should be spin dashing everywhere.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Were you trying to post the fight music, although Night Time Rooftop Run is pret...what the gently caress?!

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

And to be fair, I actually like Egoraptor. He's just a little dumb sometimes. I think that's part of the appeal, actually. He's a lot smarter than Jon Tron at least, but that's not exactly an impressive feat

The only part of Egoraptor's shtick that bugs me is that he seems to assume anybody enjoys the particular sonic games he's playing.

Like, nah man no one likes sonic and the black knight. Not a single person. You don't need to rant about how dumb sonic fans are for liking a game they don't like.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like Sonic and the Black Knight.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Spinning Robo posted:

The only part of Egoraptor's shtick that bugs me is that he seems to assume anybody enjoys the particular sonic games he's playing.

Like, nah man no one likes sonic and the black knight. Not a single person. You don't need to rant about how dumb sonic fans are for liking a game they don't like.

I haven't played it.

Like, seriously, I jumped off the Sonic train after SA2 right when Sonic was beginning his downward spiral. I basically skipped the Sonic games that were widely considered to be bad. I haven't played 2006, the Black Knight, Lost World or any of the Sonic Boom games. I only played Heroes, Shadow and Unleashed years after the fact because they were cheap and I was curious. It turns out that they are in fact not very fun. I rented the Secret Rings I think and didn't bother playing it very far.

Basically only the post-SA2 Sonic games I actually like are Colors, Generations, the Sonic & Sega Racing games (do those count?) and to some degree the Sonic Rush games for the music if nothing else. (People complain about the level design in Sonic CD but it's brilliant compared to Advance 2, 3 and the Rush games.)

Also I'm sure that little kids enjoy lovely Sonic games because they don't know any better.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Basically only the post-SA2 Sonic games I actually like are Colors, Generations, the Sonic & Sega Racing games (do those count?) and to some degree the Sonic Rush games for the music if nothing else. (People complain about the level design in Sonic CD but it's brilliant compared to Advance 2, 3 and the Rush games.)

S&SASRT counts, at least. it's easily one of the best mario kart games in recent memory.

And I can't really defend the Advance game's level design, but whoever their composer was Did his job very well with the soundchip the system gave them.

I mean, they shelled out for the GHZ royalties and everything.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Friendly Factory posted:

Like, Lost World was all about evoking the classics. I happen to like this aspect. There are diverging paths that are about using different play styles, speed is a reward from careful use of the various parkour moves, etc. But people loving hate that game. Obviously there's more going towards enjoyment of a product than simple mechanical emulation..

Holy goddamn you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Friendly Factory posted:

The problems with the Adventure games are related to mechanics that have been ironed out over the last 15+ years like camera controls and ease of use mechanics. Surprise! These are the same problems that Mario 64 has now.

Like seriously I've watched the video you're talking about before, the guy literally mentions this verbatim and explains why it's harder to forgive these issues in Adventure. Did you actually watch the video that you're getting mad about?

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 20, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZqzQPgtCdg

The music in the Advance games is drat good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Like, seriously, I jumped off the Sonic train after SA2 right when Sonic was beginning his downward spiral. I basically skipped the Sonic games that were widely considered to be bad. I haven't played 2006, the Black Knight, Lost World or any of the Sonic Boom games. I only played Heroes, Shadow and Unleashed years after the fact because they were cheap and I was curious. It turns out that they are in fact not very fun. I rented the Secret Rings I think and didn't bother playing it very far.

Absolutely none of these are worth revisiting, except possibly Lost World, and I'm impressed of the options presented you managed to play the absolute worst Sonic game ever made and possibly the worst Wii title that wasn't a budget game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, the thing is you didn't really bring up an real issue per say. This mostly just sounds like you didn't like the game's A. slower paced run speed and B. the existance of the run-button itself. As Friendly Factory said*, the game tried to experiment which is why it tried a different approach (slower run speeds, better + faster platforming/parkour actions), and that's not necessarily bad as long as the slower speed is accommodated for in the level design, which it is. And again, as Evil Eagle said, if you want to try and go fast in lost world you need to use the spindash to go everywhere.

That said, the game still always felt like Sonic and not Mario as far as the controls are concerned. Spindash used for top speeds, timed homing attacks and generally fast platforming all make it closer to Sonic than Mario. What is like Mario is more so the level design and larger reliance on giant gimmicks (more of a 3D mario thing), but that's a separate thing.

The accidental-parkour issue is one that comes up a couple of times, but on the Wii version it really isn't a big deal like you said. Movement without run button isn't really as slow as you make it out to be (since usually you're trying to be careful in those situations anyways?), and double jumping indeed gave you a little more control when jumping which was very handy.

As I kinda alluded to in an earlier post, Lost World imo is probably in the "git gud" category of games. It does offer different but smooth options that feel really fluid and fast when you get it right, but you need to get into it's pacing and mechanics which can take a while. I didn't really get into it till my 2nd playthrough I think, and that was after I had similar frustrations to you after my first playthrough.

*At least, what I think he was getting at? I can't really tell, idk

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

You invoked Dante's Inferno so I feel like I now must make it my mission to play Unleashed.

I'm also that same kind of monster. I played it before I ever touched God of War, even.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The hold-to-run button was a dumbass idea, yes. Especially given that every controller on every console the game was released for has stick sensitivity controls (including the 3DS, yes!). Hell, include a walk toggle button if you really must.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely think that the Werehog stuff wouldn't bother people if

A) There was no medal system so you weren't obligated to replay missions if you didn't have enough
B) It didn't override the music every time you got into combat.

It would never be popular but fix those two things and it probably would have been overlooked.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

How about the fact that the physics change on a level to level basis?
And the "alternate paths" that consist of a line of dash pads that make you skip everything?
And the spin dash literally just being an unlimited boost?
And the laughable chain homing attack that carries you across the map, to the point that it could almost pass as a parody of the homing attack from Unelashed and 3D Sonic design in general?
And the fact that you can charge your homing attack to do more damage!
What about the gravity gimmick from Mario Galaxy being in the game? That doesn't mix poorly with a character that goes fast at all!
And remember all of those plain blocks you jump across? Good times! I love blocks. They've got such perfect angles.

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely think that the Werehog stuff wouldn't bother people if

A) There was no medal system so you weren't obligated to replay missions if you didn't have enough
B) It didn't override the music every time you got into combat.

It would never be popular but fix those two things and it probably would have been overlooked.

how about making them not take up the vast majority of the game's runtime? that would make it easier to "overlook"

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I'm not saying the run-button was like a great idea, but...it didn't interfere with anything? I mean gently caress, Botw has a run button where the base position actually interferes with several actions you could take from running (and switching the run button to an adjacent position doesn't help). Lost World's is on the back triggers which gives you full access to the other normal actions. They probably thought putting it on a button would've made people try to be more careful in controlling speeds; while you can still do that with sticks, it certainly makes sense to me why button would be a more ideal way to examine that.

I think walk toggle would be awkward, but idk, I haven't liked Walk toggle in any game I've tried it in so far.

Lost World definitely had problems. The run button itself really wasn't one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CJacobs posted:

The hold-to-run button was a dumbass idea, yes. Especially given that every controller on every console the game was released for has stick sensitivity controls (including the 3DS, yes!). Hell, include a walk toggle button if you really must.

Lost Worlds might have been a bad implementation, but having a dedicated run button isn't a terrible idea for a game that's trying to mix going fast with tighter platforming.