Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Making the admission be an extraordinarily selfless act turns that all back to zero; apparently all of the poo poo he's put up with so far hasn't been enough to send his moral compass south. Now we have to spend another season figuring out how the man who chose to ruin his own reputation rather than see an old woman lonely turns into a Criminal Lawyer who encourages his own clients to get serious about their meth empire.

I see it as being the other way around. Now that he's deliberately ruined his reputation, and has to take a year off from the law anyway, when he starts up again it makes perfect sense to be a CRIMINAL lawyer, so that instead of being tempted to take advantage of little old ladies (and then feel bad about it after the fact), he'll be able to justify it to himself as only being in a position to take advantage of criminals.

That said, season 1 was definitely written as though it was the only season they were going to get and they've walked it back quite a ways from where they were at the end of season 1. But since then it's seemed to all fit together, if agonizingly slowly at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I still wanna know what made Kim okay with the Irene situation. Hoping that gets talked about in an interview.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
jimmy destroyed is brother and will have 10 million dollars

i think the grandma thing is just there to make sure he cant ever be a mcgill ever again but idk

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I never get people thinking that Jimmy has to become a heartless bastard to be Saul, he just has to be utterly amoral.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I still wanna know what made Kim okay with the Irene situation. Hoping that gets talked about in an interview.

Didn't he just tell Kim that he met up with her and recommended she settle and she did?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I never get people thinking that Jimmy has to become a heartless bastard to be Saul, he just has to be utterly amoral.

Realizing that you ruined an old lady's happiness and then destroying your own reputation and remnants of a career in order to fix it is a pretty loving moral action.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There are shades of grey which determine how good or bad a person you are, and when you have a person's whole life unfold on screen, it's not easy to decide if or when someone has crossed the threshold of good person/bad person. It's always grey if you ask me

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

GobiasIndustries posted:

Didn't he just tell Kim that he met up with her and recommended she settle and she did?

They were talking about how her friends still hated her with Jimmy not knowing how to fix it, which would imply that he told her about what he did, unless Jimmy told Kim he trying to fix an old lady's social life for reasons other than guilt, which lol she would never believe that.

Also I realized on the rewatch that Irene KNOWS what Jimmy pulled with Erin was an act since Erin opened with "I got her to tell me about what you did," when that obviously didn't happen, which I guess explains that when she looks at him and shakes her head there isn't really a look of terrible betrayal there, more just "huh, you're kinda poo poo, aren't you?"

Sagebrush posted:

Realizing that you ruined an old lady's happiness and then destroying your own reputation and remnants of a career in order to fix it is a pretty loving moral action.
Oh I know, I just feel that a lot of people I've been reading talking about how far Jimmy has to fall are remembering Saul as way worse than he was.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Zebulon posted:

Oh poo poo they confirmed a year.

But as a former resident of Albuquerque, I happen to know that the Triangle Grocery that Chuck visited didn't open until 2004. Immersion ruined! :argh:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

They were talking about how her friends still hated her with Jimmy not knowing how to fix it, which would imply that he told her about what he did, unless Jimmy told Kim he trying to fix an old lady's social life for reasons other than guilt, which lol she would never believe that.

Yeah but he could have just told her "hey I convinced this woman to settle" which is kinda shady since his license was suspended but :shrug:
Then after he found out her life was ruined he did a good and right thing and put himself on the sword to get that lady's life back which doesn't seem bad at all

Spellman
May 31, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

But as a former resident of Albuquerque, I happen to know that the Triangle Grocery that Chuck visited didn't open until 2004. Immersion ruined! :argh:

Now I have EHS

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah but he could have just told her "hey I convinced this woman to settle" which is kinda shady since his license was suspended but :shrug:
Then after he found out her life was ruined he did a good and right thing and put himself on the sword to get that lady's life back which doesn't seem bad at all
I guess I just assumed from their conversation that Jimmy had told Kim he engineered Irene's situation, but thinking about it I don't think it's absolutely necessary, except the whole point of this episode for Jimmy seemed to be him recommitting to his relationship with Kim and being a loving partner which would mean he'd be honest.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Spellman posted:

Now I have EHS

Reading the Alibi will do that to you :shrug:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
In his mind he threw away his entire elder law business to make it right. Kim might not know every gory detail but she's gotta know a lot of it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

That's why Saul's a great character. He went to his lowest low, then really tried to do right in the end.

I'm pretty sure Chuck really has to be dead this time. I kept waiting for the lantern to come back and burn the place down, but I never expected a suicide attempt. Probably a successful one.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I guess I just assumed from their conversation that Jimmy had told Kim he engineered Irene's situation, but thinking about it I don't think it's absolutely necessary, except the whole point of this episode for Jimmy seemed to be him recommitting to his relationship with Kim and being a loving partner which would mean he'd be honest.

I think Irene not getting back in the gang was extremely unintended and I prob. wouldn't have told Kim about the whole scheme either.

...that might say a lot about the kind of person I am.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Series ends with Gene taking up elder law. Not throwing away the rolodex is the only reason I'm thinking about this.

I don't actually feel that strongly about this prediction. Just throwing poo poo at the wall.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

I can't believe how positive a note Jimmy and Kim ended the season on. She even knew all about Irene and still no cracks. What the hell is going to tear them apart at this point??

Nothing. Series ends on a montage of Kim just barely missing or being slightly out of frame for key events of Breaking Bad. She's got a law practice in the mall with the Cinnabon.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It could end with Jimmy going gently caress it and burning down his house trying to follow the footsteps of his brother.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think this was a pitch perfect season ending.

The episode opened with Jimmy recognizing that his own scummy actions pushed Kim away, forced her into overwork, and eventually got her into the accident. He attempts to apologize and make amends and does to a degree, but we know that immediately after the episode he will receive a harsh reminder that undercuts any effort at change. In the end Jimmy will be left with Chuck's words and the knowledge that he played a big part in driving his brother to suicide. Despite the last scene with Jimmy and Kim ending with hope, the ending is devastating for both McGills.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tenzarin posted:

3 seasons later Howard is somehow not an evil character.

Quite the opposite of evil, Howard is actually Jesus

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 20, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

gently caress Chuck but that was a really sad end for him.:smith:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe Howard personally murdered Chuck.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I can't believe Howard personally murdered Chuck.

He was a jerk from day one. I'm shocked it took this long tbh.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Was I the only idiot who missed Jimmy trashing the old people being intentional the first way through

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What the gently caress did Mike do this season? We started with him hurtling through the desert and ended with him getting a paycheck in the penultimate ep.

Mike went from: Investigating Gus

to: Working for Gus

to: being paid by Gus but not technically working.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

He didn't know the mic was on lol

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Argus Zant posted:

Burning this mother down, more like.

nice

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

What the gently caress did Mike do this season? We started with him hurtling through the desert and ended with him getting a paycheck in the penultimate ep.

hosed up Hector's distribution system and made an alliance with Gus.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jimmy's ruse came crashing down because of mic's voice.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Mike took apart a car and looked in some gas cans, talked to an old lady about rakes.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

drunken officeparty posted:

I don' think suicide fits Chuck at all, and if it were, shoving the entire breakdown into the last half of the last episode was too much. He is doing fine and then suddenly plummets to killing himself in like 1 scene.

It was kind of a hell of a scene.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

That DICK! posted:

Was I the only idiot who missed Jimmy trashing the old people being intentional the first way through

He even explains to Erin that she did a good part saying her lines.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Eh, I've defended this show's slow pace in the past but I really think they botched the second half of this season. Having Jimmy's arc for the season end with him doing the right thing with the olds was sort of a wet fart for where they're at with his character. They need to step on the gas if they're back for season 4. Which I am still on board for, but less enthusiastically so than I have been up til now.

I disagree- him getting good at being the hated scumbag lawyer is central to his character. Lying and exploiting your way to gains is different from being in the spotlight and reveling in it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

He even explains to Erin that she did a good part saying her lines.

I was distracted during that part so that explains it

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

That DICK! posted:

assuming you picked it up a second time through, you're ahead of most TVIV posters.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Jimmy and Kim shared an on screen kiss so hopefully that ends the stupid questions about them being buddies

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Hell, it was pretty apparent even before he decided to do it that the only way to heal the rift between Irene and the others was to unite them against himself. Do people really need these things spoon-fed to them?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

He says "I know how to fix the Irene situation, but I reeeeeeeeeally don't want to do it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Javid posted:

Hell, it was pretty apparent even before he decided to do it that the only way to heal the rift between Irene and the others was to unite them against himself. Do people really need these things spoon-fed to them?

Yes.
But also thank goodness we've seemed to have gotten that "question" out of the way already.

• Locked thread