Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Barry posted:

Speaking of the LP120, does anyone that has one feel like they've benefited from an external pre-amp?

Yes. While I am not an "audio guy", I definitely noticed a difference when selecting Phono on the LP120 and then running it through a small phono preamp vs. using the Line mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
http://www.brian-eno.net/halfspeed/index.html

I have original pressings of Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain, and Science, but my credit card came out at light speed for the chance to upgrade my EG pressing of AGW. The only other Abbey Road half-speed I have is Simple Minds' New Gold Dream which sounds utterly fantastic so my hopes are high.

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
I found a copy of Switched-On Bach for $1.50 but my cartridge is broken so I can't listen to it. That album is astoundingly hard to find online despite all the stuff I hear of it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Misandry Cannon posted:

I found a copy of Switched-On Bach for $1.50 but my cartridge is broken so I can't listen to it. That album is astoundingly hard to find online despite all the stuff I hear of it.

What?

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
I meant a digital copy.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Misandry Cannon posted:

I meant a digital copy.

It's on my to-do list.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

trdn89 posted:

http://www.brian-eno.net/halfspeed/index.html

I have original pressings of Warm Jets, Taking Tiger Mountain, and Science, but my credit card came out at light speed for the chance to upgrade my EG pressing of AGW. The only other Abbey Road half-speed I have is Simple Minds' New Gold Dream which sounds utterly fantastic so my hopes are high.

Hopefully these aren't some limited edition bullshit. And also I'm glad these are getting an official reissue because are counterfeit versions that have been floating around for years that are marketed as the real deal.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Misandry Cannon posted:

I meant a digital copy.

come on now, i was able to find a link within about 10 seconds of reading this

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Anybody have any experience ordering from https://store.nin.com Impulse bought two of my favorite soundtracks (Lost Highway and Natural Born Killers) and Prick's first album.

Was just curious what the turn around time on them would be since their support section doesn't seem to mention any times.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Kithyen posted:

Anybody have any experience ordering from https://store.nin.com Impulse bought two of my favorite soundtracks (Lost Highway and Natural Born Killers) and Prick's first album.

Was just curious what the turn around time on them would be since their support section doesn't seem to mention any times.

According to the email blast, expect your records in August.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Devo release-of-the-year is up for preorder now. This one is a repress of Recombo DNA, which was a small Rhino CD release from 2000. It's a good companion to the Hardcore set since this is mostly demos and unreleased tracks from later in their career. Not really my favorite stuff, but it looks like a nice package:
http://store.futurismoinc.com/product/devo-br-recombo-dna-4xlp-3cd-br-emergency-codes

I'll wait and see if it ends up cheaper for US buyers next year. Right now it's $75 to import it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
In their Facebook post, Devo claims that copies will be available on clubdevo.com in August.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

wa27 posted:

The Devo release-of-the-year is up for preorder now. This one is a repress of Recombo DNA, which was a small Rhino CD release from 2000.
It's also expanded to include material up to Something For Everybody, too!

Man, I wish Futurismo would do a repressing of the Suburban Lawns album.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

all-Rush mixtape posted:

According to the email blast, expect your records in August.

Found this email right before I came here. I had signed up before this announcement was made so I never got this one. Thank you.

Half of me is disappointed that I won't see them til August. The other half is at least thankful that he cares about the quality of the product.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

The Devo release-of-the-year is up for preorder now. This one is a repress of Recombo DNA, which was a small Rhino CD release from 2000. It's a good companion to the Hardcore set since this is mostly demos and unreleased tracks from later in their career. Not really my favorite stuff, but it looks like a nice package:
http://store.futurismoinc.com/product/devo-br-recombo-dna-4xlp-3cd-br-emergency-codes

I'll wait and see if it ends up cheaper for US buyers next year. Right now it's $75 to import it.

That's not a completely insane price considering it's a 4LP, but I'm still too poor for this.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Not quite vinyl, but just as pointless a dead medium to have an interest in:

My parents are about to move to Florida and my Dad has a crate of these reel-to-reel tapes from the 1960s and 70s that he doesn't want to take with him.

He has the choice of giving them to me or to the dumpster.

From a purely sentimental/historical standpoint I actually like these "mixtapes" he has as opposed to store-bought albums. These tapes were made by himself and some of his buddies when they were over in Vietnam

So goons: do I save Englebert Humperdinck and Perry Como? And no, there is no player included so I can even listen to these, assuming they are even still listenable.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Save man. I was like "you lucky motherfucker" when I started reading your post. If nothing else you can sell the pre-recorded ones.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ballz posted:

My parents are about to move to Florida and my Dad has a crate of these reel-to-reel tapes from the 1960s and 70s that he doesn't want to take with him.

From a purely sentimental/historical standpoint I actually like these "mixtapes" he has as opposed to store-bought albums. These tapes were made by himself and some of his buddies when they were over in Vietnam

So goons: do I save Englebert Humperdinck and Perry Como? And no, there is no player included so I can even listen to these, assuming they are even still listenable.

I have a reel-to-reel machine I'd like to test out. You got any you're willing to part with?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There isn't a bad song on best of bee gees.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I have a reel-to-reel machine I'd like to test out. You got any you're willing to part with?

I can part ways with one or two, if you're fine covering a few bucks for shipping. I have no idea how these will sound, so I'm curious to find out if there's even anything still on these tapes.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BigFactory posted:

There isn't a bad song on best of bee gees.

I have it on record. Their early stuff is sadly ignored compared to the (still good) disco era.

Also have one reel to reel. It's a recording of my dad's high school band. My grandmother saw an ad somewhere that you could send in a recording and they'd turn it into a record for you. The group went down to the local radio station and recorded a handful of songs using the one mic and primitive recording technology it had.

The records came back warped. Someone later recorded from the reel to reel to a cassette tape. They're pretty decent, singing a handful of Beatles songs as they had just hit America and they obviously couldn't figure out all the lyrics of House of the Rising Sun.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ballz posted:

tapes

And no, there is no player included so I can even listen to these, assuming they are even still listenable.

I just picked up a couple of players back in March on the cheap to gently caress around with

one practically pristine, if just an average machine

And one top of range monster that needs some work

And just a warning, reel to reel can get expensive for what amounts to just a bit of silly fun if you need to repair or replace anything.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
My buddy had one like your second photo, they're surprisingly heavy. I think it weighed more than his entire music collection including a laptop.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Giga Gaia posted:

My buddy had one like your second photo, they're surprisingly heavy. I think it weighed more than his entire music collection including a laptop.

Yeah that one is 27kg.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

New release from Scattle.

https://scattle.bandcamp.com/album/sketch

Also Daylight Curfew restocked all three RTJ albums and some other stuff.

https://www.daylightcurfew.com/collections/vinyl

Also a repress of M|O|O|N EP and from the latest Facebook post it sounds like it'll be the last one, as the project is done:

quote:

Hello, couple of small things-
1) 'Clinically Blasé' will be my last release as M.O.O.N.. There are still some copies of the LP available on bandcamp.
2) Wrong Island Communications has some copies of the MOON EP 12" repress on their bandcamp. Last copies (for real this time). Proceeds being donated to a couple places, follow them for more info.
3) I recently DJ'd in Split, Croatia. The set was filmed, and will be posted soon. I'll make sure I'll link it here. It will stand as the last show I do under this name.
4) I'm largely going to stop using this page other than the odd announcement that may come up. If you'd like to keep up with any future projects I may do, please follow me on Twitter (@moon_music_) or Instagram (@boystephen). My music will not be removed from Spotify, iTunes, etc.
Thanks for listening.
-Stephen

https://wrongislandcommunications.bandcamp.com/merch/m-o-o-n-ep-2017-repress

super nailgun fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 23, 2017

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Hell yeah

pwn
May 27, 2004

So. I have an issue.

The wires what came with my cart, all the black ends seem to be crimped shut. They absolutely will not fit on the connecters. Is there a secret thing I'm missing, or did I inexplicably get a gently caress-You set with my new cartridge. I've tried to pry them open, to no avail.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Boinks posted:

Hell yeah

Noice

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

pwn posted:

So. I have an issue.

The wires what came with my cart, all the black ends seem to be crimped shut. They absolutely will not fit on the connecters. Is there a secret thing I'm missing, or did I inexplicably get a gently caress-You set with my new cartridge. I've tried to pry them open, to no avail.

Use some tiny pliers

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I bought this today, A++ would buy again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnpBNC2Wc4E

I also saw this record, which felt strangely familiar

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

quote:

Holy :laffo: what is this

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Ballz posted:

Holy :laffo: what is this

Touch S/T

https://www.discogs.com/Touch-Touch/master/266271

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toe Rag posted:

no ring though

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

oh my god the back cover

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Man, that reminds me to try to track down a copy of Elder- Lore

Hello friend, it's been pressed again.

http://armageddonlabel.bigcartel.com/product/elder-lore-2lp

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

pwn posted:

So. I have an issue.

They are meant to be very very very snug. Like, you're supposed to be bleeding from at least two cuts after installing them. That's the official number of cuts by the way.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

They are meant to be very very very snug. Like, you're supposed to be bleeding from at least two cuts after installing them. That's the official number of cuts by the way.
goddamn it :(

Thanks for the info.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I went to check out Beverly Records on the far south side of Chicago yesterday. If you're looking to add about 30 copies of In Square Circle or 10 copies of Now and Zen to your collection, this is the place to do it. That store is where records go to die. Still worth the time to dig around a bit but not worth going out of your way for.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

goddamn it :(

Thanks for the info.

I had this same issue and I resolved it by sliding a very small screwdriver into those slots and making them a bit wider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Ballz posted:

I hate you