Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Rizzo's slash line this June is .400/.507/.750. Since he moved to the leadoff spot, he is 5-5 with 2 homers and a walk in his first PA of the game, with his most recent leadoff hit being a gently caress your shift bunt single. :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Is Tommy John for Torres that big of a deal? He loses a year to develop yeah, but worst case scenerio is what, he has to move to 2nd base?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Vladito rules and you will all love him like I do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phillies question

Is there any particular reason they don't call up prospects ever . Is it a legit team building strategy to leave guys in the minors until they are 24-25. Not being snarky just noticing that the dodgers for example do not do this

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Probably depends on how good your prospects are...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

Is Tommy John for Torres that big of a deal? He loses a year to develop yeah, but worst case scenerio is what, he has to move to 2nd base?

It's his non-throwing arm, so not even that move to 2B.

Mainly it sucks because you lose a year of development and now we're definitely stuck with Headley.

EDIT: Also it being announced on the off-day after a nightmare road trip didn't help.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 20, 2017

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

euphronius posted:

Phillies question

Is there any particular reason they don't call up prospects ever . Is it a legit team building strategy to leave guys in the minors until they are 24-25. Not being snarky just noticing that the dodgers for example do not do this

It's been two years since the Hamels trade, I'm stunned they haven't brought up Alfaro and Williams yet. Gallo was their teammate in the minors and he's already been up a few times in '15 & '16 and all this year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Rizzo's slash line this June is .400/.507/.750. Since he moved to the leadoff spot, he is 5-5 with 2 homers and a walk in his first PA of the game, with his most recent leadoff hit being a gently caress your shift bunt single. :eyepop:

More people need to do "gently caress the shift" bunts.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

Here's Vlad Jr's second round:
https://twitter.com/baseballexis/status/876982381801951232

I want to see this pace in the MLB derby now.

I don't usually prospect hug for other teams but I'm so drat jealous that the Blue Jays signed this kid

I hope he's their next Carlos Delgado :swoon:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
GUYS IT'S SICNARF

https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/876952834708844544

Also seriously MLB get to this pace in the HRD I want multiple dingers in the air at once.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

NiceGuy posted:

I don't usually prospect hug for other teams but I'm so drat jealous that the Blue Jays signed this kid

I hope he's their next Carlos Delgado :swoon:

If he can be as good as the coolest Blue Jay ever I will be happy.

Beller
Apr 9, 2009
I root for every Toronto, Baltimore, and Tampa Bay prospect to be great

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

It's his non-throwing arm, so not even that move to 2B.

Mainly it sucks because you lose a year of development and now we're definitely stuck with Headley.

EDIT: Also it being announced on the off-day after a nightmare road trip didn't help.

If the Yankees are in contention in a month (they will be) I don't see them not swinging a trade for a 3rd basemen. Moustakes is set for a deadline rental, and if that doesnt work then Frazier, Freese, or even Lowrie are available.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

If the Yankees are in contention in a month (they will be) I don't see them not swinging a trade for a 3rd basemen. Moustakes is set for a deadline rental, and if that doesnt work then Frazier, Freese, or even Lowrie are available.

No way man Andujar is gonna hit 1.000 in AAA and then come up and make Judge look like a bust.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

GUYS IT'S SICNARF

Also seriously MLB get to this pace in the HRD I want multiple dingers in the air at once.

This is the greatest day in the history of baseball

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paul Zuvella posted:

He'll be fine in a shorter time that it would take for a pitcher

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Hail Satan and Trade for Buster Posey

We have this Ryan Braun guy who is still great when he's healthy who can be yours for the right price

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Whooping Crabs posted:

We have this Ryan Braun guy who is still great when he's healthy who can be yours for the right price

OF is the last place the Yankees will trade for unless you want to take Ellsbury straight up.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The only 2 things the yankees are really in the market for are a 3rd basemen and starting pitching. MAYBE a first basemen if they think Bird is dead.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Inspector_666 posted:

OF is the last place the Yankees will trade for unless you want to take Ellsbury straight up.

Just put him at first base

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Beller posted:

I root for every Toronto, Baltimore, and Tampa Bay prospect to be great
I want all prospects to pan out and be great players (who turn into flaming trash heaps when they play against my team).

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Reddick reinstated, Fisher optioned. Aoki remains an Astro

gently caress youuuuuuu.gif

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

GUYS IT'S SICNARF

That has got to be so exhausting.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RCarr posted:

That has got to be so exhausting.

Crushing a bunch of dingers or explaining to people that yes your name is Sicnarf Loopstock?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

Crushing a bunch of dingers or explaining to people that yes your name is Sicnarf Loopstock?

Yes

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Intruder posted:

aoki owns what is wrong with you. how can you hate a man with a repertoire of 37 situation specific batting stances?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Aoki is meh defensively, 35, and hitting for career lows across the board. Fisher has already spent a third of the season destroying AAA and has shown success in his first taste of the bigs, he has nothing left to prove and there's no reason to hold him down to keep an aging slap hitter who doesn't draw walks around

Is it possible they're super 2ing him? I can't remember the deadline

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
When I hear "Nori Aoki defense" this is all I can think of.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

what the gently caress

e: as you mentioned in another post the only thing I can think of is its service time somehow

further e: I went looking for the super 2 cutoff and apparently it varies based on the callup decisions of all MLB teams, but this is the TLDR version from Fangraphs:

quote:

There’s variation in the cutoff, but you can safely assume it will be between 2.120 and 2.150, meaning that if you keep a player down for about 65 service days in their first year, you will not have to let them pass through arbitration four times.

2.120 means 2 years and 120 days

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 20, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Intruder posted:

Aoki is meh defensively, 35, and hitting for career lows across the board. Fisher has already spent a third of the season destroying AAA and has shown success in his first taste of the bigs, he has nothing left to prove and there's no reason to hold him down to keep an aging slap hitter who doesn't draw walks around

Is it possible they're super 2ing him? I can't remember the deadline

but, like, the mere spirit of aoki should make you love him unquestioningly. im not sure you understand this game if you expect players to be *good* to earn your undying love.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

John Wilkes Booth posted:

When I hear "Nori Aoki defense" this is all I can think of.

His face gets me every time

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Scott Rolen a HOF candidate or does not reaching 400 HR's mean hall of pretty good?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hopefully Rolen is barred like all Cardinals should be

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Intruder posted:

Hopefully Rolen is barred like all Cardinals should be

If we barred every player who played for a team with insufferable fans the place would be fuckin' empty.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Scott Rolen a HOF candidate or does not reaching 400 HR's mean hall of pretty good?

I posted this a while ago but Scott Rolen maybe had the most boringly great career in baseball history. His only significant achievements are 500 doubles and 8 gold gloves. He is fighting an uphill battle.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

euphronius posted:

Phillies question

Ask and ye shall receive.

Sort of.

The Phils DFA'ed Saunders and Gomez (thank God on both, they were terrible) and called up Cam Perkins and Hoby Milner.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I think Rolen would have gone in in another era but there are just too many great players waiting right now (which is a reason the HoF should get rid of its stupid vote limit but good luck with that)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

mentholmoose posted:

Ask and ye shall receive.

Sort of.

The Phils DFA'ed Saunders and Gomez (thank God on both, they were terrible) and called up Cam Perkins and Hoby Milner.

I know nothing about him, but Hoby Milner is a pretty great baseball name.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I guess they don't do "Minor League Moniker Madness" anymore?

What the hell?!? Was it because Sicnarf was basically crowned Forever Champion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

cis autodrag posted:

but, like, the mere spirit of aoki should make you love him unquestioningly. im not sure you understand this game if you expect players to be *good* to earn your undying love.

If that spirit exists, he doesn't show it on the Astros. He's easily irritated when he strikes out, he gets pissed off when he fucks up a play and other than that he merely exists. The pregame ceremony after he hit his 2,000th is the only time I've ever seen him emote something other than irritation. There are better lovely Astro players to love.

• Locked thread