Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, when I heard the suggestion of a run button for a Sonic game from a friend on his blog a while ago, the game he pointed to was Spyro, where the Charge button doubled as an attack and a means to get around faster on foot, at the expense of control (since you're constantly moving forward and have a wider turning radius). That sounded like a better idea than the implementation we ultimately got.

Actually, for all intents and purposes, it basically describes the boost games verbatim, doesn't it. Move faster, doubles as an attack, much more uncontrollable... certainly not quite the same thing in practice (since the boost is much faster and tends to lock you to a linear path), but when you break it down like that, it almost sounds like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Re: handheld Sonic music, Wrapped in Black is good but also the least appropriate use of a dead human rights activist that I can think of

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lost World would stop being one of the worst games I've ever played if Sonic just ran normally. No run button, just jog on a slight tilt of the stick, run at full tilt, and let me run in any direction without slamming to a halt as soon as the stick twitches even a degree off centre.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Re: handheld Sonic music, Wrapped in Black is good but also the least appropriate use of a dead human rights activist that I can think of

Are you suggesting that Malcom X wouldn't save the multiverse with the power of the chaos emeralds if he could?

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 20, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely think that the Werehog stuff wouldn't bother people if

A) There was no medal system so you weren't obligated to replay missions if you didn't have enough
B) It didn't override the music every time you got into combat.

It would never be popular but fix those two things and it probably would have been overlooked.

They should've gone the Kingdom Hearts route and just made unique battle music for each level.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sonic: Lost World is the top Sonic game for badnik cameos. The music, levels, and cutscenes are okay sometimes. Too bad about the gameplay, especially in the 2D sections. What were they thinking??

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Barudak posted:

Absolutely none of these are worth revisiting, except possibly Lost World, and I'm impressed of the options presented you managed to play the absolute worst Sonic game ever made and possibly the worst Wii title that wasn't a budget game.

Which one is that? Shadow \ Heroes? I always thought Sonic 2006 or Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric were considered the worst. And I only got Shadow and Heroes because I found them for like $5 each. If I could find 2006 for that price, I would do the same just out of morbid curiosity.

If you're referring to Sonic Unleashed, it certainly wasn't a very good game, but I wouldn't call it the worst. It has good production values and isn't an ugly buggy mess like a lot of Sonic games. It's perfectly functional and does what it means to do, it's just that what it means to do is a pretty boring and tedious game.

If you didn't have to collect those stupid medals and if the Werehog levels weren't so drat long, Sonic Unleashed would actually be a pretty decent game. It wouldn't be spectacular, but it wouldn't be bad anymore.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Which one is that? Shadow \ Heroes? I always thought Sonic 2006 or Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric were considered the worst. And I only got Shadow and Heroes because I found them for like $5 each. If I could find 2006 for that price, I would do the same just out of morbid curiosity.

If you're referring to Sonic Unleashed, it certainly wasn't a very good game, but I wouldn't call it the worst. It has good production values and isn't an ugly buggy mess like a lot of Sonic games. It's perfectly functional and does what it means to do, it's just that what it means to do is a pretty boring and tedious game.

If you didn't have to collect those stupid medals and if the Werehog levels weren't so drat long, Sonic Unleashed would actually be a pretty decent game. It wouldn't be spectacular, but it wouldn't be bad anymore.

The Wii version was much worse than the ps360 version, your progression for werehog attacks, health upgrades, energy, etc was fixed, and several of his movements were tied to waggle.

The daytime stages were nowhere near as good, and it didn't have hub worlds or cutscenes, both were replaced with sonic rush style talking heads.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Other games in the franchise are bad, but at least you can play them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Something I'm wondering is, how many games post-Sonic 3 & Knuckles have the original Sonic Team actually worked on? As in, most of the original guys from Sonic Team and not just a team calling themselves "Sonic Team".

I'm looking through Wikipedia and there's a bit of shuffling around of roles from Sonic game to Sonic game (as there is in any game development team). It's hard to really pin the blame on any one person, and a lot of the same names keep popping up. I'm just wondering why Mario has had so many successful spinoffs and Sonic has... the 2D games and then Generations and Colors. Maybe the Gameboy Advance games because some people seemed to like those for some reason, and I guess the Sonic All-Stars Racing Series if you can really count that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The GBA games were done by a completely different company. They also did the DS/3ds games, and the WiiS2 version of Unleashed.

And Sonic 4 Episodes 1 and 2.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Of the three main guys behind the classic games, only Yuji Naka stuck around during the 3D era as a producer and he quit midway during the development of Sonic 06.

Naoto Ohshima's (Sonic's designer and director of Sonic CD) last game was Adventure, and Hirokazu Yasuhara (lead planner) checked out after Sonic R. Ohshima went on to make bad Yoshi games, Yasuhara went on to work at Naughty Dog on Jak & Daxter and Uncharted, and then to Nintendo Software Technology where he did absolutely nothing of value.

The main director and/or producer for most 3D Sonic games is Takashi Iizuka, who got his start as a planner on Sonic 3. The modern character redesigns were conceived by Yuji Uekawa (who was not a classic Sonic Team guy) and a lot of the general art direction has been helmed by Kazuhiko Hoshino, who got his start on Sonic CD and designed many of the Chaotix characters. (Both those guys work as character supervisors/brand managers now, I believe.)

The guy who designed Tails (and did the general art direction on Sonic 2) didn't even make it to Sonic 3, and the guy who designed Knuckles did end up working on the Sonic Riders series but mostly did other stuff.

Naofumi Hataya (the Japanese Sonic CD composer) and Jun Senoue (Sonic 3 & beyond, he's the Crush 40 guy) still pitch in music from time to time.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 4, 2018

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sonic lost world is an excruciating game to play. It just feels so bad, it's surreal

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
That soundtrack tho

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 4, 2018

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

It's kinda funny that Sonic Team and Sega have no idea what made Sonic fun or cool in the first place and for Mania they finally decided to let it be developed by fans who understand the games more than they do. I really hope they give Christian Whitehead \ Stealth \ Headcannon more work once Mania's done.

Fun embarrassing fact about me: the first time I ever posted on an internet forum, it was on Sonic Fan Games HQ in like 1998 or whatever. I've actually talked to the Taxman and Stealth like 20 years ago but I doubt they'd remember me. I was a little kid trying to make garbage games in The Games Factory.

Kurieg posted:

The GBA games were done by a completely different company. They also did the DS/3ds games, and the WiiS2 version of Unleashed.

That's Dimps. They suck. They also botched Street Fighter.

Kurieg posted:

The Wii version was much worse than the ps360 version, your progression for werehog attacks, health upgrades, energy, etc was fixed, and several of his movements were tied to waggle.

The daytime stages were nowhere near as good, and it didn't have hub worlds or cutscenes, both were replaced with sonic rush style talking heads.

Yeah, I haven't played the Wii version of Unleashed. It was another game where I saw it and was like "nope."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was a little kid trying to make garbage games in The Games Factory.

Weren't we all.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

King Vidiot posted:

Something I'm wondering is, how many games post-Sonic 3 & Knuckles have the original Sonic Team actually worked on? As in, most of the original guys from Sonic Team and not just a team calling themselves "Sonic Team".

I'm looking through Wikipedia and there's a bit of shuffling around of roles from Sonic game to Sonic game (as there is in any game development team). It's hard to really pin the blame on any one person, and a lot of the same names keep popping up. I'm just wondering why Mario has had so many successful spinoffs and Sonic has... the 2D games and then Generations and Colors. Maybe the Gameboy Advance games because some people seemed to like those for some reason, and I guess the Sonic All-Stars Racing Series if you can really count that.

Uh, it's weird that you count Mario spinoffs but have trouble with the All-Star series. Most of the Mario spinoffs (if you're looking at the Sports games, Party games or RPGs) are done by different studios than the ones who make the platformers.

And what's your standard of "successful"? Because a bunch of Sonic games sell very well. Less than mainline Mario games, but still good numbers. I hope you're not conflating opinions with successful.

As for your main point, in general it's pretty common for a lot of studios to switch devs around in these big franchises. The case is probably how it looks from the outside when you look at Heroes, Shadow and 06: the team really struggled once they shifted development away from a primary console, and the team lost a lot of focus on how to make a 3D sonic until Unleashed. And then they decided (for some reason) to throw out those books and reinvent something new in Lost World.

Mario really only had the 1 transition with 64, and the other main games have been a natural progression from that. Sonic had 1 transition that collapsed in on itself (Adventure to 06), tried to reinvent itself in different ways (Rush, Secret Rings->Unleashed) and kept that course for a bit, then reinvented itself 2 more times after that (Lost World, Boom). It kinda really looks like it's as simple as "we didn't know what to do with 3D sonic".

As for spinoff quality, I mean idk, Mario Kart sucks and All Stars Racing Transformed is way better :shrug:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

I know it was Dimps I was just listing well (or ish) received Sonic games that I could think of.

Ventana posted:

As for spinoff quality, I mean idk, Mario Kart sucks and All Stars Racing Transformed is way better :shrug:

Agreed, I don't really know why people lost their poo poo over Mario Kart 8 or whichever one it was that had transforming cars because Racing Transformed already did that poo poo and was awesome. Also the track layouts and characters options don't seem as good in the new Mario Kart series as they are in the Sonic All-Stars series.

We're really overdue for a new installment and I don't know if we're going to get one.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 20, 2017

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I remember the first thing I posted on the internet being one of those pre-packaged "sprite collection" things for Sonic Fangames HQ, it was a really awful mouse-drawn Big the Cat sprite thing, and his colors were wrong and he was way too big to be in scale with any Genesis sprites. But they posted it anyway with a sort of "well this is the only big the cat anyone made so far, so, I guess if you want it, here you go" disclaimer. Tiny child me was very excited about it. In retrospect, I'm sure they knew how awful it was so it was nice of them to do that.

It's too bad I don't have any of that Games Factory stuff anywhere anymore.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Sonic doesn't really work in 3D.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Overbite posted:

Sonic doesn't really work in 3D.

Sonic Utopia disagrees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5paaz16Nw20

If only it were a real full game and not a tech demo.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Agreed, I don't really know why people lost their poo poo over Mario Kart 8 or whichever one it was that had transforming cars because Racing Transformed already did that poo poo and was awesome.

Cause Mario Kart's a well known and liked series and most things with Sonic's name attached to it is usually bad or okay at best.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
thinking about sonic

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kelp Plankton posted:

I remember the first thing I posted on the internet being one of those pre-packaged "sprite collection" things for Sonic Fangames HQ, it was a really awful mouse-drawn Big the Cat sprite thing, and his colors were wrong and he was way too big to be in scale with any Genesis sprites. But they posted it anyway with a sort of "well this is the only big the cat anyone made so far, so, I guess if you want it, here you go" disclaimer. Tiny child me was very excited about it. In retrospect, I'm sure they knew how awful it was so it was nice of them to do that.

I thought SFGHQ was the coolest loving thing when I was a kid. Stumbling across not only these fanmade games but resources to make your OWN game was so so cool. The site used to have a ton of sprites, many sucked, many ripped from the games, many custom ones. I had like 7 or 8 fusion badnik sprites on the site at one point, and a few backgrounds. It was mostly recolors like turning Lava Reef into a water themed zone. Also a level made out of cheese with a terrible CGI cheese background I found on google. Eventually SFGHQ just sort of faded away. In fact I tried to go to the site just now and both it and the forums are down. I imagine they aren't coming up anytime soon. Still it was super impressive watching people try to recreate certain things from the games, like making loops work, or the scrolling, or even the parallax scrolling backgrounds.

And SFGHQ was also the reason Freedom Planet exists at all. I remember when it was first getting posted as a simple Sonic OC game, I made several posts that were urging him to turn this into something beyond just a fangame. I don't think my posts themselves had all that much to do with anything, but it was super cool to eventually see Freedom Planet grow beyond the fangame and become this actual good game that has been released on Steam, and was successful enough that it's getting a sequel. It was cool having seen that from the beginning.

Mario Fan Games Galaxy on the other hand still updates to this day. Tons of sprites and fangames. As far as I know, Nintendo has just left them completely alone which is cool

King Vidiot posted:

Sonic Utopia disagrees

drat this is dope. Shame it never went anywhere

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 20, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Agreed, I don't really know why people lost their poo poo over Mario Kart 8 or whichever one it was that had transforming cars because Racing Transformed already did that poo poo and was awesome. Also the track layouts and characters options don't seem as good in the new Mario Kart series as they are in the Sonic All-Stars series.

We're really overdue for a new installment and I don't know if we're going to get one.

Mario Kart 8 is actually good. So is SASASRT. Both of these facts can be true.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

Me too, I think I submitted badniks or something.

I went by "E-107 Theta" on those forums and tried to make a game called Sonic Avalanche but never ever came out of it. It turns out that making Sonic games is really hard.

I just found a neat engine for Game Maker Studio but again, making Sonic games are hard. Sonic levels are huge and good ones have multiple paths and lots of stage gimmicks which require a lot of programming. Maybe instead of trying to release whole fangames, people should just release individual levels.

Speaking of, they actually kinda do that with this Sonic World game I found, although it's 3D Sonic Adventure style and not 2D Classic Sonic which is more my thing. It's kinda fun to mess around with, but it's buggy as hell and a lot of the levels are terrible. I always have fun messing with games with a bunch of mods, though.

https://sonicworldfangame.com/

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Sonic Utopia disagrees

I would Kickstarter/Patreon the crap out of this if I could. It's what I imagined 3D Sonic would play like before 3D Sonic happened.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Mario Kart 8 is actually good. So is SASASRT. Both of these facts can be true.

I didn't say it was bad at all.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Macaluso posted:

drat this is dope. Shame it never went anywhere

It's really early to say that, given that the author is focusing on Sonic Overture, which is ACTUALLY going to be amazing.

Unless he stealth-cancelled that.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

I would Kickstarter/Patreon the crap out of this if I could. It's what I imagined 3D Sonic would play like before 3D Sonic happened.

It's too bad that actual 3D Sonic games are 90% roads suspended over vast bottomless pits that glitch out and send you careering into the void if you press any buttons during a scripted sequence

Sonic Utopia is basically what a 3D Sonic game should be but I really don't think that Sega \ Sonic Team would ever invest the time + money + talent needed to pull something like that off. Sega's philosophy to game development is "Get this out the door by Christmas, Gotta go fast" so that's why so many Sonic games are lackluster. That, and they haven't had any idea what to even do with Sonic since they made the shift to 3D, so Sonic games after S3&K go off in weird and confused directions. Like you know, a segment of the game dedicating to fishing. Or making Sonic a werewolf. Or making a dark, edgy anti-hero Sonic with a gun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Have you actually played Sonic Utopia? It plays really badly. It's incredibly awkward and outside of the proof-of-concept part isn't actually very fun or interesting either and there's no real indication the playstyle could translate easily to enjoyable levels.

It isn't just a case of 'time + money + talent." Outside of looking like a Sonic game in 3D it doesn't actually translate mechanically very well. There's a reason 3D Marios are not just 2D Marios in 3D and that is because the two have very different design philosophies.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I can't imagine why an unfinished tech demo would play badly. There has to be a good reason for it...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I can't imagine why an unfinished tech demo would play badly. There has to be a good reason for it...

That isn't what I was referring to. It isn't that it's unpolished and rough, it's that outside of the visual deisgn it doesn't actually have anything showing any particular strengths or advantages to the style or any proof of concept why it is 'how sonic should be". Even as a proof of concept it doesn't succeed at anything but "here is a Sonic figure running quickly along something that looks like Green Hill Zone."

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Barudak
May 7, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Agreed, I don't really know why people lost their poo poo over Mario Kart 8 or whichever one it was that had transforming cars because Racing Transformed already did that poo poo and was awesome. Also the track layouts and characters options don't seem as good in the new Mario Kart series as they are in the Sonic All-Stars series

Outside of extremely short no obstacle flying portions of MK8, the transformations in MK8 dont actually impact how the game controls or plays at all, which is unambiguously the better choice over what Racing Transformed chose.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Utopia has no design or purpose to it, it's just a big open field. It would be astonishing if it didn't play okay, but it doesn't feel like it would be fluid or fun once the player has to navigate a proper obstacle course. Give me a fan game with an actual sculpted level that plays well and then I'll pay attention.

Edit: at no point did the transformations in ASRT trip me up, so I'm not really sure what issues people were having with them tbh.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Friendly Factory posted:

You can basically say this about any Sega game. Their soundtracks are always god tier.
Well, almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007