Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Yo. Zebanetha, with his mountain sized rod up his rear end, is a good example of why not. The moment we sign the contract it'll be "Rescind your anti slavery policy Enkidel, you signed a contract after all to obey us. Women aren't people, Enkidel, don't rock the boat. Destroy your water mills, Enkidel, if Labrador meant for man to have an easier life and NOT waste years pounding rocks by hand he would have given it to men."

I'm considering the long game here. We let slavery and all that go back to happening for what 100-200 years then out right decree we are the new boss and all this poo poo changes right loving now.

What would it even look like if we decided to say gently caress it and do our own thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

There Bias Two posted:

Wait what? He's mentally unstable and a constant danger to the survival of all life!

And that's just Enkidel, let alone the Orm!

Erf snek just misses his master, we could be the new master. Adopt its what responsible pet owners do.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Task Manager posted:

Oh by the way, we ever getting a new poll DCBomBa?

Actually, I uhh... could use some help getting a list of all the new characters since the last poll.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

DCBomB posted:

Actually, I uhh... could use some help getting a list of all the new characters since the last poll.

Link to the date of the last poll?

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Mr. Nemo posted:

Link to the date of the last poll?

Right...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&pagenumber=3052&perpage=40#post463551392

there

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

DCBomB posted:

If you can pull a list of character names in the last poll and throw them in the thread, I'm sure enough people will chime in with new names not on it. Will also keep us from dredging up old arguments while we wait for more Q&A.

EDIT:

Seems like it's saying the submission form is closed, which appears to have been an issue back when you first posted it as well. If you can still see the results, c/p the names in the thread.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Azuth0667 posted:

Erf snek just misses his master, we could be the new master. Adopt its what responsible pet owners do.

This is like the Ur equivalent of a small child taking care of an illegally imported cobra

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SniperWoreConverse posted:

tell the Orm he's the biggest guy we've ever seen and that we really respect and appreciate that that he has compassion for littler guys and seems considerate not to want to hurt them.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

^^^ +1

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

tell the Orm he's the biggest guy we've ever seen and that we really respect and appreciate that that he has compassion for littler guys and seems considerate not to want to hurt them.

VETOing this Too much like worship.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

I am fine with this part of this statement:

we really respect and appreciate that that he has compassion for littler guys and seems considerate not to want to hurt them.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
This is your pubic service announcement that the only person who actually has to read Azuth's posts is whatever brave soul volunteers to count votes. If you are enjoying arguing with him, then don't let me stop you, but if you would like to join me in not reading his posts, there is an easy way to do that.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
The Orm said that Enki doesn't have as much power as Azz or himself. That would indicate that either Enki is never going to be a major player, or that he would have to start getting serious about attracting adoration (carefully ensuring it isn't worship). Otherwise we might as well just try to survive. At this point it's pretty clear we aren't going to ever get significant info on the world as it's been 4 years and everytime we get an opportunity to talk to someone who knows there's always some life threatening danger preventing us from getting any but the smallest tidbits of info. The smart thing would be to stay in Kavodel until it and Zepath get inevitably destroyed and then move inland and take over the donut. Then we can just watch events unfold from afar.
The game is called "Clash of the Heavens" and after all this time we still know basically nothing about that clash haha

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

We (maybe I?) asked about this a short while back. He appears to be the same age iirc.

Must have missed it, thanks.

Volmarias posted:

Define "normal" in a blooded society.

That hasn't really stopped us in the past. Zebanetha looked older than Ishamal when we met him, so I suppose something unnatural is required for him to still be alive in any case. Zebanetha seems like the best example available of someone who is ostensibly unblooded, that we have a long-standing relationship with, and who does not live in Kavodel. As far as I know, there is no reason to believe that priests generally live longer than anyone else.

Pure speculation that has probably been made previously below this line.

I wonder about it mostly because Tudiya has practically become a different person since the Jubilee, while Zebanetha has not. After we betrayed him by sneakily violating Zepath's isolationist policies, which once seemed to be the cornerstone of his worldview, Tudiya has decided to go much further in that direction than we ever dared to. I find his shift somewhat disconcerting, and question the degree to which our influence over him is natural. He plans to literally march an army to another city to enforce his will, which is the sort of stunt that I'm fairly certain he would have had us stoned to death for, had we attempted similar in the past.

It seems fairly clear at this point that those who we are close to are becoming more blooded over time, and that we have had immense influence over the people around us in Kavodel. It seems possible to me that while a number of the mighty-men powers (being able to divine the truth and so on) don't work on the blooded, our powers in that vein (which we aren't allowed to consciously use, though there have been hints that we have been unintentionally messing with other people's thoughts) are probably not constrained in the same way, and may actually work better on blooded men who have some allegiance to us (though there is the chicken/egg issue of those who are close to us becoming more blooded over time anyway). If becoming blooded has always come from a similar source, it would make sense if the Melachim's influence over those who had not willingly entered their "service" was constrained, and if their (blooded) servants were constrained in using their abilities to influence the (blooded) servants of other Melachim.

Which leads me, then, to wonder if the reason that we are believed to pose such an incredible danger is that we have this ability to create and influence blooded servants that the Melachim have and, because they have all withdrawn from direct interference, we would be largely unopposed (spare that they would clearly intervene if we tried it) in taking the known world under our wing. The proscription upon our claiming any form of divine revelation would then be in place to prevent us from hijacking all of El's worshipers in such a fashion.

If that is even vaguely correct, then the Melachim have likely withdrawn because they naturally enslave the men who revere them. While our ability to influence men in this fashion does (currently) seem to require proximity, I suspect that our sphere of influence is expanding (as we have grown in [???] after settling Kavodel, our influence over Tudiya has grown substantially, especially since the massive growth which has followed our return from the south), and that the Melachim may not be bounded in the same fashion, which would explain why they are very clear to direct all worship to El (who they may or may not have invented for that purpose).

If we want to step into a bit of speculative heresy, then the increasing aggression from the Bnaimokt and the fishmen may be because the local Melachim allowing Enkidel to wander around as a man violates some sort of non-interference pact, which has freed Fare (sp?) to get involed, as well as whoever is responsible for the pelagic horrors; now that those forces have become directly aware of us, we can't go anywhere without the laurels. Given that it apparently survived The Orm, what could the Doom of Tanaach be except some sort of Melachim equivalent? Azzazel's willingness to intervene, and his subsequently going into hiding, make sense if these are the opening salvos in the promised clash of the heavens.

Of course, it's equally likely that I've just spent fifteen minutes of my life writing fan fiction that no one will ever read but, you know.

Edit: Weirdly fitting fan fiction, given the previous post that I just saw after writing this.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 20, 2017

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Task Manager posted:

If you can pull a list of character names in the last poll and throw them in the thread, I'm sure enough people will chime in with new names not on it. Will also keep us from dredging up old arguments while we wait for more Q&A.

EDIT:

Seems like it's saying the submission form is closed, which appears to have been an issue back when you first posted it as well. If you can still see the results, c/p the names in the thread.

I figured he was asking about *when* the poll was so he can look for new names since but yeah I can post a list. One sec

Oh wow this is awfully formatted

DCBomB fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 20, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wallet posted:

Must have missed it, thanks.

That hasn't really stopped us in the past. Zebanetha looked older than Ishamal when we met him, so I suppose something unnatural is required for him to still be alive in any case. Zebanetha seems like the best example available of someone who is ostensibly unblooded, that we have a long-standing relationship with, and who does not live in Kavodel. As far as I know, there is no reason to believe that priests generally live longer than anyone else.

Pure speculation that has probably been made previously below this line.

I wonder about it mostly because Tudiya has practically become a different person since the Jubilee, while Zebanetha has not. After we betrayed him by sneakily violating Zepath's isolationist policies, which once seemed to be the cornerstone of his worldview, Tudiya has decided to go much further in that direction than we ever dared to. I find his shift somewhat disconcerting, and question the degree to which our influence over him is natural. He plans to literally march an army to another city to enforce his will, which is the sort of stunt that I'm fairly certain he would have had us stoned to death for, had we attempted similar in the past.

It seems fairly clear at this point that those who we are close to are becoming more blooded over time, and that we have had immense influence over the people around us in Kavodel. It seems possible to me that while a number of the mighty-men powers (being able to divine the truth and so on) don't work on the blooded, our powers in that vein (which we aren't allowed to consciously use, though there have been hints that we have been unintentionally messing with other people's thoughts) are probably not constrained in the same way, and may actually work better on blooded men who have some allegiance to us (though there is the chicken/egg issue of those who are close to us becoming more blooded over time anyway). If becoming blooded has always come from a similar source, it would make sense if the Melachim's influence over those who had not willingly entered their "service" was constrained, and if their (blooded) servants were constrained in using their abilities to influence the (blooded) servants of other Melachim.

Which leads me, then, to wonder if the reason that we are believed to pose such an incredible danger is that we have this ability to create and influence blooded servants that the Melachim have and, because they have all withdrawn from direct interference, we would be largely unopposed (spare that they would clearly intervene if we tried it) in taking the known world under our wing. The proscription upon our claiming any form of divine revelation would then be in place to prevent us from hijacking all of El's worshipers in such a fashion.

If that is even vaguely correct, then the Melachim have likely withdrawn because they naturally enslave the men who revere them. While our ability to influence men in this fashion does (currently) seem to require proximity, I suspect that our sphere of influence is expanding (as we have grown in [???] after settling Kavodel, our influence over Tudiya has grown substantially, especially since the massive growth which has followed our return from the south), and that the Melachim may not be bounded in the same fashion, which would explain why they are very clear to direct all worship to El (who they may or may not have invented for that purpose).

If we want to step into a bit of speculative heresy, then the increasing aggression from the Bnaimokt and the fishmen may be because the local Melachim allowing Enkidel to wander around as a man violates some sort of non-interference pact, which has freed Fare (sp?) to get involed, as well as whoever is responsible for the pelagic horrors; bow that those forces have become directly aware of us, we can't go anywhere without the laurels. Given that it apparently survived The Orm, what could the Doom of Tanaach be except some sort of Melachim equivalent? Azzazel's willingness to intervene, and his subsequently going into hiding, make sense if these are the opening salvos in the promised clash of the heavens.

Of course, it's equally likely that I've just spent fifteen minutes of my life writing fan fiction that no one will ever read but, you know.

Edit: Weirdly fitting fan fiction, given the previous post that I just saw after writing this.

Eh, I think it's more likely that Tudiya has turned over a new leaf in that regard due to A) The Jubilee and B) Watching our radical behavior be seemingly rewarded by El over and over again.

Even though we're not super powerful or wise, we're an Old Tales-level hero and Tudiya probably understands that.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Wallet posted:

Theorycrafting

I don't think that's it. Tudiya was willing to intervene against the wishes of his council right after the last Jubilee, and while this is a very big escalation, it is fairly consistent with his behavior then, and his belief that Gezer is going to die soon.

He was pissed because we A) went behind is back for B) an insufficient reason.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

The Orm said that Enki doesn't have as much power as Azz or himself. That would indicate that either Enki is never going to be a major player, or that he would have to start getting serious about attracting adoration (carefully ensuring it isn't worship). Otherwise we might as well just try to survive. At this point it's pretty clear we aren't going to ever get significant info on the world as it's been 4 years and everytime we get an opportunity to talk to someone who knows there's always some life threatening danger preventing us from getting any but the smallest tidbits of info. The smart thing would be to stay in Kavodel until it and Zepath get inevitably destroyed and then move inland and take over the donut. Then we can just watch events unfold from afar.
The game is called "Clash of the Heavens" and after all this time we still know basically nothing about that clash haha

Not yet at least, we made a choice to live as man however and I think being as strong as Tudiya (or at least in his ballpark) is probably where we might end up in the end.

Granted, we're still an abomination it seems so... Who knows?

I think the weirdest thing is that for our whole life, we've been playing the humble guy, downplaying our own contributions in so many things and always been sure to lavishly praise our men, and that ONE time we actually said "yeah, we're a great guy who does cool poo poo" we got scolded by everyone, including Uriah, who is like the quintessential version of how an Urian should be.
It just doesn't make sense, damned if we do and damned if we don't.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Ok this is a list of the names I had on the last poll. The poll was made pretty much right when we restarted after the other thread. Anyone who can help me add all the new names since Gebeb is an awesome person. Bonus points if the new names are in order of appearance.

Og/Enkidel
Sushem
Jalitha
Asherah
El
Tudiya
Aaron
Danal
Ishamal
Chait
Naomi
Zebanetha
Bareen
Jesbaam
Obel
Ephat
Snarles Barkley
King of Ibleam
Paebel
Lefkandi
Azazzel
Indor
Puabi
The Balls of Labaras
Uriah
Jassiel
Ithma
Gareb
Jobe
Ira
Adina
Hiddai
Smythos
Asahel (Melachim)
Asahel (Son of Enkidel)
King Rimush
Eleazer
Keturah
Bagar
Ruth
Aharon
Dodi
Nahari
Fare
David
Ahaz
Woman Watcher of Zepath
Man Watcher of Zepath
Child Watcher of Zepath
Eliahaba
The Orm
Jael
Hadad
Ninus
Simeon
The Many Headed Titan of Belus
Bird
Sebbekai
Amok
Jethro
The Gebebians
Eriba
First
Second
Gebeb

I should note that this list gets culled as people are forgotten by a large majority for long periods of time

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Wallet posted:

I read every post.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

DCBomB posted:

Ok this is a list of the names I had on the last poll. The poll was made pretty much right when we restarted after the other thread. Anyone who can help me add all the new names since Gebeb is an awesome person. Bonus points if the new names are in order of appearance.

I should note that this list gets culled as people are forgotten by a large majority for long periods of time

Who the gently caress is that Og guy anyway?

Diogines posted:

I read every post.

Please don't.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Diogines posted:

I read every post.

But WHY

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

Who the gently caress is that Og guy anyway?

A very scared and lonely child in Athar who would very much like his mother back.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

It is my job.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Voting for Enkidel to Eat the Black Goop before resuming talking to the Snek.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Diogines posted:

It is my job.

No wonder the IRS is so backlogged...

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Patrick Spens posted:

I don't think that's it. Tudiya was willing to intervene against the wishes of his council right after the last Jubilee, and while this is a very big escalation, it is fairly consistent with his behavior then, and his belief that Gezer is going to die soon.

He was pissed because we A) went behind is back for B) an insufficient reason.

It's an absolutely massive escalation to go from intervening to protect the sovereignty of nearby cities to enforcing your own will upon them. It's more than just that, though: his expectation that we would evacuate Kavodel for the upcoming Jubilee has been looming for years and years now, and he has continued to prepare for that evacuation the entire time—readers have clearly been concerned that Enkidel would be put in a position of having to disobey his orders or suffer the consequences of leaving for quite a while, but Tudiya folded on the issue without a fuss.

Diogines posted:

I read every post.

Before I felt vaguely guilty for spending time writing fan fiction about a CYOA. Now I feel bad for making you read it.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

A few more

Samson (jerk of a smith)
Hagar (leader of the cult of Melachim in Kavodel--deceased)
Once Consort (big bug, deceased)
Accopus (big octopus living under the lack near Acco) (is this what we called it?)

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

DCBomB posted:

Maybe others can fill in the gaps of people I'm missing, but off the top of my head (and I think in order) I can think of:

Geeint
Samson
Hagar
Once-Consort
The Elderman (leader of New Hope)
That Dick in Armor Who Killed the Elderman, Probably
Khaba
Nusku
Fire-Dick Sorceror
Acctopus
Oldemokt
Flies-Straight-Chan (I'm not looking up the full name of the arrow)
Our most famous grandson (Escher?)
Levi
Levi's Dad
Sachiel
HER

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I find myself leaning in this direction more than in the past. The price we'll have to pay to get the answers is to sacrifice our freedom and everything tangible that we've built up by taking up the Trio's offer. Another choice is to stumble blindly into situations where we might meet ancient beings or find ancient records while gambling on whether we'll black screen out and not have any answers at all.

We'd probably be better served to stick around Kavodel and try to run up the clock for the next 50+ years and soak up [???]. We already have some indications that we gain more [???] passively when we're on our claimed land than when we're out wandering somewhere else. Our mind keeps expanding over time, we might be able to get some answers simply by meditating on different issues once we reach a higher [???] level.

Greggster posted:

Not yet at least, we made a choice to live as man however and I think being as strong as Tudiya (or at least in his ballpark) is probably where we might end up in the end.

Granted, we're still an abomination it seems so... Who knows?

I think the weirdest thing is that for our whole life, we've been playing the humble guy, downplaying our own contributions in so many things and always been sure to lavishly praise our men, and that ONE time we actually said "yeah, we're a great guy who does cool poo poo" we got scolded by everyone, including Uriah, who is like the quintessential version of how an Urian should be.
It just doesn't make sense, damned if we do and damned if we don't.

If you're referring to our taking out the Bnaimokt hit squad, Uriah and our men were unhappy about that because they had to sit in the middle of nowhere for months. It wasn't due to us seeking praise.

If you're referring to our spreading the True Stories of the Balls of Labaras, that had more to do with putting the story down in a permanent fashion while bending the truth about how honorable, brave, and pious we are. In Ur it is more acceptable to exaggerate your Mighty Deeds but it's not as acceptable to whitewash your flaws while doing so. Especially when those flaws are dishonorable by Urian standards.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Our mind is strange.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

Sogol posted:

Our mind is strange.

drat right it is!

Also, going back over names again and noting Sachiel made me think on how Zeb said it would mean Tailor/Armorer of God - we also have the Orm telling us that Azzazel's students were all names ending in "-el", or at least most had "el" in their name somewhere. Wonder if there's any specific reason Azzazel is running around with a bunch of guys who are the "____ of god"?

Ask the Orm if any of Azzazel's students was named Sachiel or Zachiel.

Edit: Wonder what "Azzaz-" stands for, as well? Trickster of God? Tester of God?

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 20, 2017

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Task Manager posted:

Maybe others can fill in the gaps of people I'm missing, but off the top of my head (and I think in order) I can think of:

Thanks! I used to follow the thread closely enough (and make surveys often enough) that keeping track of this was easy. I might add a name or two associated with the asawheel murder and make sure I had everyone on Tudiya's council. Esher's group. I'm sure if I looked closer more obscure names would pop up but this is really great!

DCBomB fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 20, 2017

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
Edit: never mind, already said.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Oh, who was that king that tried to shakedown Uriah on his way back from Baitel?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Theres also Dinahba, the architect

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Wallet posted:

Before I felt vaguely guilty for spending time writing fan fiction about a CYOA. Now I feel bad for making you read it.
Don't. Random theory crafting is some of my favorite posts to read.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

I recognize the name, Dinhaba, but not who he was :x

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

DCBomB posted:

Oh, who was that king that tried to shakedown Uriah on his way back from Baitel?

Looks like it was Sarac.

Not sure if you saw this. But Travic put together a table of contents. It might be useful in making the survey.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dbp0kw1tOzxnuUnskZvQh3akjcnqySi6OQoe-2Jv7MA/edit?usp=sharing

I'm looking forward to being able to fill one of these out, by the way. While I was reading through the thread I wanted to vote for that club as the favorite weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

DCBomB posted:

I recognize the name, Dinhaba, but not who he was :x
Dinhaba was a city that Haddad of Dinhaba came from. A city near Seir.