Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
First of all: Micheal Bay is a nerd.

In conclusion, Pacific Rim has a heart and a sense of humor so I actually care what happens in the few dark and murky robot monster fight scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Pacific Rim isn't great but doesn't have anything nearly as bad as the twins, or tape Guy, or Shia and his parents, or robot testicles or robots pissing and humping things, or Romeo and Juliet laws.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I know that Eric sometimes stops in here so I gotta take this opportunity where I can:

Book of Henry - Worst of 2017

PLEASE

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I believe Andrew all but confirmed that it's going to be one of the 4 on twitter.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

Pacific Rim was mostly just boring. Like, I don't understand how the people who criticize the Transformers movies for focusing too much on the humans and not enough on the robot action are perfectly fine with Pacific Rim having only three big robot fight scenes and instead being mostly training montages, flashbacks, and inter-team drama broken up with the loud comic relief characters running around and yelling a lot.

Also people complain about the fight scenes in Transformers being incomprehensible due to the busy designs of the robots and the constant distracting "Bayhem" going on at all times but the Pacific Rim fight scenes all take place at night and are murky and poorly lit, the first one being a shoving match in waist-deep ocean water in the middle of a storm and the climax being literally underwater with everyone moving in slow motion in the middle of sand they keep kicking up when they move.

It's OK To Like A Movie and all but I feel like half of the goodwill people have towards Pacific Rim is because the creator is a fat hairy manchild and not a "dumb jock" like they imagine Michael Bay is.

The cool kind of nerd that hates everything, especially himself.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fsmhunk posted:

The cool kind of nerd that hates everything, especially himself.

The #SomethingAwful #Brand

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Charlie Day was pretty much the highlight, yeah.

For other people's reactions: there's sort of an inverse bell curve of how much you'll like Pacific Rim based on how much you like mecha anime. If it's not your thing at all, you'll hate Pacific Rim because it's Literally Getter Robo and Getter Robo is pretty much the ur-mecha anime, not only creating almost all of the genre's cliches but turning them up to eleven (Giant Robo/Gigantor and Mazinger Z predate it, and Mazinger is similar in many respects, but PR draws mainly from Getter). If you're into it, but not super knowledgeable about it, it'll basically set your world on fire because holy poo poo they made a live-action super robot movie, this is amazing. If you're a huge mecha nerd, you'll probably hate it because it's Literally Getter Robo and you've already loving seen Getter Robo, multiple times across various incarnations even.

Please explain to me like I'm a very stupid child how Pacific Rim is like Getter Robo at all besides very basic elements that are actually more similar to Mazinger Z if anything?

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

Pacific Rim was mostly just boring. Like, I don't understand how the people who criticize the Transformers movies for focusing too much on the humans and not enough on the robot action are perfectly fine with Pacific Rim having only three big robot fight scenes and instead being mostly training montages, flashbacks, and inter-team drama broken up with the loud comic relief characters running around and yelling a lot.

Also people complain about the fight scenes in Transformers being incomprehensible due to the busy designs of the robots and the constant distracting "Bayhem" going on at all times but the Pacific Rim fight scenes all take place at night and are murky and poorly lit, the first one being a shoving match in waist-deep ocean water in the middle of a storm and the climax being literally underwater with everyone moving in slow motion in the middle of sand they keep kicking up when they move.

It's OK To Like A Movie and all but I feel like half of the goodwill people have towards Pacific Rim is because the creator is a fat hairy manchild and not a "dumb jock" like they imagine Michael Bay is.

I think Pacific Rim is ok and despise the Transformers movies. Pacific Rim is a movie about humans piloting giant robots. Humans belong in the movie. It's Top Gun with mechs. I grew up in the 80s with Transformers cartoons and no one I knew ever walked in to the toy store and looked for the Sparkplug or Spike action figures. On top of that the Transformers themselves in the movie look like blurry garbage. Who looked at those designs and liked it? I've never been more disappointed coming out of a movie that I was after seeing the first one. Obviously nostalgia clouds my view a bit about Transformers and Pacific Rim is far from a perfect movie. All that said, if Tape Man is an actual character in the last Transformer movie I might go see it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fsmhunk posted:

Please explain to me like I'm a very stupid child how Pacific Rim is like Getter Robo at all besides very basic elements that are actually more similar to Mazinger Z if anything?

A plot summary of Mazinger Z: a German archaeologist named Dr. Hell finds the ruins of an ancient Greek civilization and rebuilds its ancient "titans" to try and take over the world, and kills the rest of his archaeological team except for one survivor who goes back to warn humanity. In response, a scientist builds a (one, single) robot named Mazinger Z from an alloy found in Mt. Fuji, and with his last breaths as he dies from a bomb blast caused by one of Dr. Hell's allies, entrusts his son Kouji with the robot. Kouji, along with his friends and remaining family, then attempts to fight back against Dr. Hell's forces.

A plot summary of Getter Robo: A scientist builds a combining robot powered by the pilot's willpower initially as a means of deep-space exploration, then when a civilization of alien dinosaurs invades the Earth, entrusts three strong-willed teenagers with its use as Earth's first line of defense. In later incarnations of the franchise, the Getter Robo is part of an international team of super robots fighting said alien threats (often kaiju-sized).

Which of these sounds more like Pacific Rim to you, the one where the protagonists are a relatively small group of people fighting a guy who wants to take over the world and his evil buddies, or the one where an international team fights alien kaiju?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

It's kind of irrelevant because who the gently caress has even heard of Getter Robo?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

A plot summary of Mazinger Z: a German archaeologist named Dr. Hell finds the ruins of an ancient Greek civilization and rebuilds its ancient "titans" to try and take over the world, and kills the rest of his archaeological team except for one survivor who goes back to warn humanity. In response, a scientist builds a (one, single) robot named Mazinger Z from an alloy found in Mt. Fuji, and with his last breaths as he dies from a bomb blast caused by one of Dr. Hell's allies, entrusts his son Kouji with the robot. Kouji, along with his friends and remaining family, then attempts to fight back against Dr. Hell's forces.

A plot summary of Getter Robo: A scientist builds a combining robot powered by the pilot's willpower initially as a means of deep-space exploration, then when a civilization of alien dinosaurs invades the Earth, entrusts three strong-willed teenagers with its use as Earth's first line of defense. In later incarnations of the franchise, the Getter Robo is part of an international team of super robots fighting said alien threats (often kaiju-sized).

Which of these sounds more like Pacific Rim to you, the one where the protagonists are a relatively small group of people fighting a guy who wants to take over the world and his evil buddies, or the one where an international team fights alien kaiju?

To be honest neither of them sound much like it, and thats ignoring the themes or characters which couldn't be more different. Keep in mind you said that Pacific Rim IS Getter Robo. The aliens in Pacific Rim are obvious analouges of Toho aliens, not the dinos from Getter Robo who are from earth's ancient past and indeed not even aliens.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

I know that Eric sometimes stops in here so I gotta take this opportunity where I can:

Book of Henry - Worst of 2017

PLEASE

That bad huh.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

It's 100% in the same vein as Collateral Beauty.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The difference is that Collateral Beauty at least looked like a normal (bad) overly saccharine movie from the trailers, then swerved into this weird sociopath scheme involving fake actors and stuff.

Book of Henry lays out how both annoyingly precocious and insane it is in its trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz8R2xxeyaA

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I loved it. It's loving insane. Room level of how did someone let this get made.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

I loved it. It's loving insane. Room level of how did someone let this get made.

When I saw the trailer I knew it would make me uncomfortable.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

When I saw the trailer I knew it would make me uncomfortable.

I didn't realize until the end it was directed by Trevorrow and then I laughed so hard I lost vision.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Clearly I liked Pacific Rim a lot more than others. I don't think it's great, but that's the point. It's on a watchable level that the Transformers flicks aren't. Obviously I want my Transformers movies to be the Citizen Kane of Giant Robot movies but if I can't have that I'll gladly have them be on the same mediocre level as PR. A Transformer movie having the eh quality of Pacific Rim would be an improvement.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I haven't seen Pacific Rim because I heard it sucks but there's no way anything in it matches up to the Chicago invasion/battle from Dark of the Moon.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They cut a monster in half in outer space with a massive sword.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Fsmhunk posted:

They cut a monster in half in outer space with a massive sword.

I think the 90s Power Rangers movie ends the same way.

edit: how have they done the new Power Rangers but neither of those 90s movies?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I need to hear the WHM guys do The Book of Henry. I saw it yesterday and it's just baffling in its insanity. I know Jurassic World was a huge hit and all, but why anyone let Trevorrow do that is still a mystery to me. The theater I was in was fairly packed with families with kids. I don't think the parents had any idea what the gently caress kind of movie they were actually in for.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I think the 90s Power Rangers movie ends the same way.

edit: how have they done the new Power Rangers but neither of those 90s movies?

Nope that ends with giant monster getting kicked in the dick and thrown into a comet.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Cracking up pretty hard at the Michael Bay = Michael Myers goofs

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
New episode is up, no Cabin, he must not have been able to take it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm almost an hour in and they've barely gotten past the first few scenes of the movie. :allears:

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah they're really struggling to talk about these Transformers movies.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I assume it must be like that podcast that would watch Grown Ups every week, but somehow worse and more painful

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Super Fan posted:

Well, they're not wrong in saying that the movies are pretty much all the same and that it's drat near impossible to care about the Transformers themselves since they all look like near-identical piles of junk. Bay's whole "they need to have all those parts and stuff to make it ~realistic~" just makes them too drat busy to look at and makes every fight scene look like a junkyard falling down the stairs.

It doesn't help that the movies barely give you an idea of anyone's personality outside of Prime.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Marvel has been getting better with villain visual design - Guardians 2 in particular shines for me - but I agree with the gang that blockbusters are resorting to really incoherent and uninteresting design. Hell, Power Rangers went for "melted action figure" as an aesthetic because the people making that were terrified of putting a robot dinosaur on the screen.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Deleter posted:

Marvel has been getting better with villain visual design - Guardians 2 in particular shines for me - but I agree with the gang that blockbusters are resorting to really incoherent and uninteresting design. Hell, Power Rangers went for "melted action figure" as an aesthetic because the people making that were terrified of putting a robot dinosaur on the screen.
Yeah, I mean who'd want to see a robot dinosaur in a Power Rangers movie, ammirite? :jerkbag:

But seriously, it's the same problem with the Transformers movies: don't lead with the ins and outs of the normal human characters' everyday lives. I'm here for giant robot fighty time, not watching Sam go through a bunch of job interviews with all these ~quirky~ people for half an hour.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Super Fan posted:

Next week is Marky Mark swillin' Buds, talking about statutory rape, and totally being a top notch inventor, right? There's at least fun impressions and shout outs to Goober to lean back on.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Wikipedia summary of The Book of Henry is...something:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Henry

Can't wait for this worst of 2017!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GrandpaPants posted:

It's exactly as batshit crazy as you think it is.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

GrandpaPants posted:

:stare:

What the gently caress?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Book of Henry needs to be a WHM Emergency Broadcast :pray:

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The Blank Check guys did Book of Henry so if you want a taste of the lunacy with less jokes you can give that a listen.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fezz posted:

The Blank Check guys did Book of Henry so if you want a taste of the lunacy with less jokes you can give that a listen.

For a moment I thought you were saying the people who made the movie Blank Check made Book of Henry, and I was...very confused.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

thrawn527 posted:

For a moment I thought you were saying the people who made the movie Blank Check made Book of Henry, and I was...very confused.

I was hoping that's what it was as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh hey Transformers 1 is on TNT right now; right at the scene where Shia's at the party and basically creeping on Megan Fox, too!