Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

Its really impressive what they managed to squeeze out of the PS4, but, man I don't know why they didn't create a new controller/camera system. I mean I guess they wanted to get it as cheap as possible and move old stock but, the lack of any thumbstick/trackpad alone really hampers a lot of potential cross compatibility with PC

The Aim controller solves a lot of that, but is unfortunately permanently stuck in assault rifle mode. The tracking on it is actually phenomenal and it has 2 sticks.

I really hope they use the tech in the Aim controller to update the move controllers with thumb sticks. I really don't understand why they didn't just do that in the first place because it's pretty crippling for PSVR not to have a good combination of controller and motion controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Mages Tale is out today, and like a lot of Oculus releases lately, hasn't gotten a lot of fanfare. It's made by InXile, the same people that did Bard's Tale.
Seems to generally be getting some positive buzz. https://uploadvr.com/mages-tale-review-oculus-rpg/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good to see Darth Maul is still getting work.

That game looks sweet though.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I've got it but I can't play till the weekend. Don't be an irresponsible contact lens user btw.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Is Valve even working on the headset anymore, or has HTC taken over? Last we heard from Valve were three VR games in development and hand-wrist controllers.

And with their work-style, none of those games will ever see the light of day if enough devs fail to stay signed up for those teams.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Valve is still working on the tech and handling the licensing, they just recently completely redesigned the way lighthouses work which is presumably gonna be included in the next gen of SteamVR HMDs.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Poetic Justice posted:

Mages Tale is out today, and like a lot of Oculus releases lately, hasn't gotten a lot of fanfare. It's made by InXile, the same people that did Bard's Tale.
Seems to generally be getting some positive buzz. https://uploadvr.com/mages-tale-review-oculus-rpg/

I played it for an hour or so and am really enjoying it so far.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
As someone who just went through the 'which system should I choose' angst, and tested all three headsets, honestly there's not much appreciable difference at this stage between the Vive and the Oculus, so go with whatever is cheaper / easiest. A year ago it would have been a Vive, no question, but now the Oculus has the Touch and 3rd sensor support, they're basically comparable. The PSVR is a good choice if you already have a PS4, but it really is 3/4ths of the experience.

Oculus gets alot of flack online, partly because they released it 2 sensor headset only (what were they thinking?), and have had some lovely walled garden business practices. But you can see what they're doing - they're trying to make a super smooth and friendly experience, for a target audience that is broader than your average nerd, and it does it well (for the most part). Problem is, it's still a burgeoning field, rough edges are par for the course, and your early adopters are fine with tinkering and tweaking, so open standards and the flexibility that Valve and SteamVR provide are much more appealing, so this is where most of your recommendations will come from.

If you want to get into the commonly debated differences, for me the USB requirement for the Oculus isn't really that much of an issue as long as you factor in a (good) powered USB 3 Hub, since you need to provide power to Valve light houses anyway.

It's pretty much a necessity to purchase the 3rd sensor if you look at the Oculus - there's no point not having it, and like the touch controllers it should have been packed in from day dot.

One thing the HTC does which I think is extremely useful over the Oculus, is that an external camera can be triggered to see out of it - this is amazingly useful when fumbling around for controllers, or when someone is trying to get your attention.

Ultimately I chose the Oculus for one reason only, the Touch Controllers. The HTC feels like you are holding a remote. The Touch Controllers emulate hand actions in several important ways, so you really feel like you're pointing, grabbing, giving thumbs up and wiggling fingers. This plays a huge part in losing yourself in the immersion, and as someone who had the developer kits and never managed to feel 'presense' - I'm finding it happens all the time now.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
I will never not enjoy a first timer playing through Accounting.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Valve also redesigned the controllers

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/877074272115720192

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Isometric Bacon posted:

It's pretty much a necessity to purchase the 3rd sensor if you look at the Oculus - there's no point not having it, and like the touch controllers it should have been packed in from day dot.
I would beg to differ on this point. If you don't have a huge play space, two cameras in opposing corners can be totally fine.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Helter Skelter posted:

I would beg to differ on this point. If you don't have a huge play space, two cameras in opposing corners can be totally fine.

That's a good point and shows my ignorance since I've always run a 3 sensor setup. I was thinking a 2 sensor setup would be both of them facing you on the desk - but this could totally work.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
Speaking of Oculus sensors and USB hubs.. What's a good, powered USB 3 hub that works with at least two (but ideally all three) sensors? I've seen mixed results on just about every common hub, but most of what I've googled predates Oculus 1.1x USB improvements.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
These look awesome. And as far as I can see, they are basically exactly the kind of design I was musing and theorising about back when Touch came out, so I'm stupidly pleased with myself for no reason. I wonder if they just slip on loose or whether they're sprung so that they lightly grasp your knuckles?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Can't do the cool mixed reality controller toss, 0/10

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Isometric Bacon posted:

That's a good point and shows my ignorance since I've always run a 3 sensor setup. I was thinking a 2 sensor setup would be both of them facing you on the desk - but this could totally work.

Oculus calls it 2-camera 360 degree setup. I ran with it before I my third sensor was shipped to me. You can get a good 5x5 foot tracking area, which is enough to stand and dodge around in, but not really big enough to walk around. It is suitable for most things.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

El Grillo posted:

These look awesome. And as far as I can see, they are basically exactly the kind of design I was musing and theorising about back when Touch came out, so I'm stupidly pleased with myself for no reason. I wonder if they just slip on loose or whether they're sprung so that they lightly grasp your knuckles?
The ones they showed before were pretty tightly sprung and you squeezed them over your hand. These ones look like they fully clasp around the palm, that black thing at the bottom looks like a release button imo.

I think the idea is that you're not actually holding anything and they're attached in such a way that they're not ever leaving your hand unless you are intentionally removing them, not gonna drop or throw them accidentally or whatever. So they're probably fairly tight.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Karsh posted:

Speaking of Oculus sensors and USB hubs.. What's a good, powered USB 3 hub that works with at least two (but ideally all three) sensors? I've seen mixed results on just about every common hub, but most of what I've googled predates Oculus 1.1x USB improvements.

I've been using this hub without any issues, but with all things Oculus and USB related, your mileage may vary.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I have to disagree on the optics. Having used both, the little bit of extra FoV is noticeable. The difference in displays is small compared to the difference between Rift/Vive to PSVR with PSVR way on top. Rift is pretty drat light though, I'll give you that.

If you buy a new vive today it's lighter than a rift, tbh.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Nalin posted:

Oculus calls it 2-camera 360 degree setup. I ran with it before I my third sensor was shipped to me. You can get a good 5x5 foot tracking area, which is enough to stand and dodge around in, but not really big enough to walk around. It is suitable for most things.
Mine's ~5x7 feet, which is more a limitation of my space than the cameras.

Karsh posted:

Just grab an Anker off of Amazon.

You don't want to put three cameras on a hub, however. Oculus recommends keeping to two cameras on USB3 and anything past that on USB2 to avoid overloading the USB3 controller (the cameras use a ton of bandwidth on USB3). The third camera will come with an active USB2 extension cable you can use for this purpose.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Truga posted:

Only because the rift strap is some 125g heavier than the vive strap, it's still the most front-heavy of the big 3 with the frontbox up ~100g on rift. Comfort-favorite psvr is actually the heaviest, but it's center of gravity is furthest back.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah balance is way more important than overall weight IMO

Truga posted:

Is there anywhere I can find out model # cutoffs or anything? Is the only difference weight? drat silent hardware updates

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm not really good at reviews, but I just want to say The Mages Tale is awesome. The casting is very similar to The Unspoken, a bit more simple, but the dungeon crawling and the spell crafting is really cool. I've got about 4-5 hours in, so maybe halfway through according to what other people are saying, and it's just a great fun game if you like being a wizard freezing, electrocuting, setting things on fire and blowing things away with bursts of air. Looks really good too! One thing I wish, and this may still happen once I beat it, but I went back to some of the earlier levels to find some collectibles and I wish it would repopulate them with enemies.

edit: :siren: Echo Arena Beta is available to download :siren:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/991142941007103/

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 22, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Poetic Justice posted:

I'm not really good at reviews, but I just want to say The Mages Tale is awesome. The casting is very similar to The Unspoken, a bit more simple, but the dungeon crawling and the spell crafting is really cool. I've got about 4-5 hours in, so maybe halfway through according to what other people are saying, and it's just a great fun game if you like being a wizard freezing, electrocuting, setting things on fire and blowing things away with bursts of air. Looks really good too! One thing I wish, and this may still happen once I beat it, but I went back to some of the earlier levels to find some collectibles and I wish it would repopulate them with enemies.

edit: :siren: Echo Arena Beta is available to download :siren:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/991142941007103/

I've been surprised by the spell casting. Theres these goblins with shields that block your hits except when they're going to strike and move them to the side, so I decided to make a fireball that bounced off walls and was also guided so i could throw it over him, bounce it off the wall, lock onto him then and hit him in the unprotected back and it just plain worked. The game never said to do that, or suggested it in any way, I just thought about it and did it. I like when that works out in a game, reminded me a lot of older elder scrolls games and making your own spells. Now my only problem with the game is I wish they had more kinds of spells like summoning, invisibility, curses etc to play with.

edit: Another great little trick I learned for some free extra damage, is if you're using the auto homing mod, put on the bouncing mod as well and just always throw your ice or fire right at the ground and since the bouncing mod adds damage each time it bounces, you get 1 free bounce of damage.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 22, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you thread for reassuring me on the third sensor, I can finally appreciate Sairento in all of its cyber-ninja glory.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

I've been surprised by the spell casting. Theres these goblins with shields that block your hits except when they're going to strike and move them to the side, so I decided to make a fireball that bounced off walls and was also guided so i could throw it over him, bounce it off the wall, lock onto him then and hit him in the unprotected back and it just plain worked. The game never said to do that, or suggested it in any way, I just thought about it and did it. I like when that works out in a game, reminded me a lot of older elder scrolls games and making your own spells. Now my only problem with the game is I wish they had more kinds of spells like summoning, invisibility, curses etc to play with.

edit: Another great little trick I learned for some free extra damage, is if you're using the auto homing mod, put on the bouncing mod as well and just always throw your ice or fire right at the ground and since the bouncing mod adds damage each time it bounces, you get 1 free bounce of damage.

Haha those are great and I never even really thought about doing that, although now I'm getting to the parts where the difficulty is starting to ramp up so I will for sure be needing to get more creative. And yeah, I think having more spell types would be cool too, I hope this game sells enough that they will be able to iterate on the foundation because I'm loving it. It's up there as one of my favorite games now.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mmmmm super curious to see if I can manage to play this with ReVive.
Also, it's weird to me that with all the coverage of this game I saw over E3, not one person said "Oh, it's Ender's Game!" Because aside from having jetpacks, that's almost exactly what it is... I kinda wish they'd go whole hog and model the entire thing such that you could recreate scenarios from the book.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 22, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mellowjournalism posted:

Is there anywhere I can find out model # cutoffs or anything? Is the only difference weight? drat silent hardware updates

I don't think so. All I know is, they've been selling lighter vives since about april.

mellowjournalism posted:

Yeah balance is way more important than overall weight IMO

Yeah, and my stupid revolve still isn't here. It's going to own a lot.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone else had problems with star trek/uplay disconnecting? Didn't happen with Eagle Flight. Really annoying as I was only doing the tutorials.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

DaveKap posted:

Mmmmm super curious to see if I can manage to play this with ReVive.
Also, it's weird to me that with all the coverage of this game I saw over E3, not one person said "Oh, it's Ender's Game!" Because aside from having jetpacks, that's almost exactly what it is... I kinda wish they'd go whole hog and model the entire thing such that you could recreate scenarios from the book.

Apparently it runs fine with the latest revive release (apparently the dev had to do a quick update so it would), but there might be an issue with the touchpad where on the touch controllers clicking the thumbstick activates some booster and moving does snap turns, but on the vive wand when you try to click it in its maybe too sensitive so it turns you when you click the booster. Still outside of the little turbo boost, apparently the grabbing and throwing and thrusters and all that works fine.

You can run through the tutorial right now, but it hangs after that trying to find the servers that aren't up yet, but man, that game has some of the most amazing IK and hands I've seen in a VR game yet. Just watching your fingers moving depending on how you're grabbing stuff is mesmerizing and they look just beautiful.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
It kind of blows my mind that I have an actual backlog of VR games this early in.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Just got word that my NoloVR arrived this morning. Although I'm not expecting it to be a state-of-the-art Vive replacement, I am hoping that it will function well enough that I can start working on VR applications before testing them out on an actual HTC Vive. So far, my development time is limited, because I have to rebuild my living room every time, so this might be a handy tool to do some preliminary work.

Plus, it would be cool for demonstrations if it works properly with a Cardboard or Samsung Gear.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Poetic Justice posted:

I've been using this hub without any issues, but with all things Oculus and USB related, your mileage may vary.

Same here, it's not bad at all.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Anyone had issues getting steamvr to see the xbox gamepad you get with OR? Recently reinstalled everything and the analogue stick on mine wont move my character in Subnautica. All the menus and interaction buttons work, I can jump, but not move and steamvr doesn't list the controller, on the headset, sensors and touch controllers.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Baron von der Loon posted:

Just got word that my NoloVR arrived this morning. Although I'm not expecting it to be a state-of-the-art Vive replacement, I am hoping that it will function well enough that I can start working on VR applications before testing them out on an actual HTC Vive. So far, my development time is limited, because I have to rebuild my living room every time, so this might be a handy tool to do some preliminary work.

Plus, it would be cool for demonstrations if it works properly with a Cardboard or Samsung Gear.

Wow, please give us a review as soon as possible, I'm really interested. I'm planning a long vacation and would love to be able to still VR dev/Soundbox but don't want to/can't take my whole VR setup.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Anyone had issues getting steamvr to see the xbox gamepad you get with OR? Recently reinstalled everything and the analogue stick on mine wont move my character in Subnautica. All the menus and interaction buttons work, I can jump, but not move and steamvr doesn't list the controller, on the headset, sensors and touch controllers.
I've used it fine in the past. Subnautica just released a patch yesterday and they've been spotty about controls in VR. I haven't tested the controller in the latest patch.

I do know my controller does NOT show up in the SteamVR Home list where my headset, sensors and controllers are. Go into the Oculus app, Gear -> Settings, Devices, and see if it's listed as "on" in there. I also assume the X is solid white indicating sync with your PC, not blinking (searching).

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It looks like really it's just as much hardware, no? You still need a headset, base station, wands and a computer. Guess the tracking is a bit easier looking to set up than lighthouses (though they are pretty darn easy)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I'm curious how much lag that would add if you're streaming wirelessly from Steam to a Gear VR or other phone-based headset. Last time I checked Steam had like 10ms wireless latency in a best case scenario.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.
Heads up for people looking to get a vive. Right now it is on sale for $749 ($50 off), $50 steam card, bridge crew, and free shipping till the 5th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
No discounts for bridge crew :(

A bunch of VR games are around 30% off though; I may pick up quell 4d.