Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

^Try charcoal biscuits? Maybe the smell is coming from his stomach? If he's eating lots of fish or tripe or something that might also play a part. You could try water additives, Zymox makes a nice one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Prepared some meals for puppy :getin:

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I know that I am not doing this often but since Diggy has only been eating the wet food, I have been randomly running out because it's hard to get the timing right on the delivery. Anyways, is there anything wrong with this meal that I made them the other night?

I cut up and boiled some baby carrots for a long drat time because neither of my dogs will eat raw carrots. Then I added some celery and green peppers. (green peppers are Diggy's favorite food of all foods, including BACON) and then I added a dash of salt and pepper because it just seemed so gross to me. It really was a small dash.

I spooned the veggies out , but kept the veggie water, and then boiled some cut up chicken breast for a long time... (I did it separate because I wasn't sure about boiling meat) But it was clear that It was certainly done all the way. I've never BOILED chicken before and it was kind of grossing me out because I wanted to brown it so bad. Then I dumped some leftover cooked jasmine rice into the pot and added back in the vegetables and it got substantial.

I had intended just to give them the solids, but I thought WHY NOT? And ended up washing out their bowl and giving them basically a dog version of chicken-rice soup. They ate/drank every single drop of it and honestly it was a little fun to give my dogs chicken noodle soup. I mean there was no sodium (except that pinch) or other added stuff and the water was just water filled with veggie boil and chicken boil leavings. They loved me for two days and 4 meals.

So, is that a good meal for when I screw up the wet food delivery?

I also wanted to know why my dog will eat as much plain pasta as a I could possibly give her, but won't eat a single grain of plain rice?? I try to bulk out her wet food with a little basmati or jasmine or even sushi rice and she won't have anything to do with it. She'll throw every single individual grain across 10 square feet of kitchen to get to anything else. I drop in a couple noodles and they're gone before they hit the bowl. Then again she would rather eat a slice of green bell pepper than a slice of bacon, so maybe she's just mental.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
It's fine to do it like this every now and then.

Dogs were made to digest meat, they're not good at digesting vegetables, so you need to either boil or puree their veggies (I think pureeing destroys less nutrients).

The meat doesn't need to be cooked, but some people do it if their dog isn't used to eating meat and has a sensitive digestive system (just a few days to make them get used to digest meat). But again, nutrients are lost when you boil the meat. Oh and make sure to NEVER boil/bake/heat bones, it alters the bone structure and it will splinter in their stomach/intestines.

Forget about the rice, dogs can't digest plants properly.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Recall!

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/blue-buffalo-dog-food-recall-event-number-2-march-2017/

I don't have dog but my sister told me she feeds this food so I looked it up and found a recall.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Recall!

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/blue-buffalo-dog-food-recall-event-number-2-march-2017/

I don't have dog but my sister told me she feeds this food so I looked it up and found a recall.

I feel like this is a good time for a rant! Don't feed Blue Buffalo. Here is why.

-They've had THREE recalls in the past 30 days alone. 5 more since 2007.
-They were sued by Nestle-Purina, of all people, for lying about their ingredients. You know how they boast constantly about not including by-products in their food? Guess what, independent testing found that there were a significant amount of by-products in it! They settled the suit for $32 million. There is no proof that they have ceased to use by-products.
-They are WAY overpriced. A large bag of chicken and rice, the simplest of goddamn foods, should not cost $50+. In my store, prices have gone up on many of their formulas for 5 weeks going.

Blue spends all their money on advertising and none of it on quality control. They do not have their own facilities, so instead contract the actual manufacturing/packing out to other companies. This is in sharp contrast to companies like Fromm that don't co-pack with any other brands and have had like, 1 (voluntary) recall ever, for slightly elevated vitamin D in a canned formula, which was still safe to feed as long as it wasn't the sole diet.

Since your sister feeds Blue Buffalo I strongly encourage you to let her know it's not the best option for her pet/wallet/peace of mind. There's way better poo poo out there that isn't shady, dangerous and expensive.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

porkswordonboard posted:

I feel like this is a good time for a rant! Don't feed Blue Buffalo. Here is why.

-They've had THREE recalls in the past 30 days alone. 5 more since 2007.
-They were sued by Nestle-Purina, of all people, for lying about their ingredients. You know how they boast constantly about not including by-products in their food? Guess what, independent testing found that there were a significant amount of by-products in it! They settled the suit for $32 million. There is no proof that they have ceased to use by-products.
-They are WAY overpriced. A large bag of chicken and rice, the simplest of goddamn foods, should not cost $50+. In my store, prices have gone up on many of their formulas for 5 weeks going.

Blue spends all their money on advertising and none of it on quality control. They do not have their own facilities, so instead contract the actual manufacturing/packing out to other companies. This is in sharp contrast to companies like Fromm that don't co-pack with any other brands and have had like, 1 (voluntary) recall ever, for slightly elevated vitamin D in a canned formula, which was still safe to feed as long as it wasn't the sole diet.

Since your sister feeds Blue Buffalo I strongly encourage you to let her know it's not the best option for her pet/wallet/peace of mind. There's way better poo poo out there that isn't shady, dangerous and expensive.

I am not trying to get people into a rant or an argument, all I said is my sister feeds this and I looked it up, it's just a warning to people who may feed it - that is all.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'll rant too :sun:

I'm kinda frustrated with pet food in general. I know blue had a bunch of recalls and avoided it. My cat had instructions with her that food with grain in it gave her runny poo so I tried all manners of grain free and the runs continued but gas decreased with fish based, zero poultry stuff. My boss had a bag of a flavor of blue his cat didn't like and I was almost out of the last bag I tried so I tried it and after 2 days her runs cleared up after 2 days but it was blue indoor with mostly grain and chicken and the death farts returned. I tried a couple more things. Nature's variety instinct rabbit gave her nice poos and the farts went away but she wouldn't eat it.

On vet recommendation I tried purina pro plan and she ate it ok, poo was good and farts diminished, but it wasn't fishy enough so she got tired of it. Finally ended up with blue indoor fish based and she destroys it has good poops but still some death farts since there is no grain and fish food that doesn't have some poultry in it. I'll stick with this one for a while since she's happy, but I really don't like the mile long ingredient lists but at the end of the day I know that cats all over the place live long happy lives on the cheapest cat chow you can buy at the supermarket and I'm really over thinking it because I read this thread too much before getting the cat.

This is all dry and she has a nice fountain that she loves and drinks from plenty. Had zero luck with any wet foods.

Requisite pic of idiot

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I am not trying to get people into a rant or an argument, all I said is my sister feeds this and I looked it up, it's just a warning to people who may feed it - that is all.

Oh, and that wasn't my intention! I just used your post as a jumping off point to talk about something I'm pretty familiar with. I work at a small pet store and we recently decided to slash our BB stock, so all of this was swimming at the top of my head and thought the nutrition thread was a good place to throw my two cents in.

Booglao, I'm sorry if that came off like "YOU'RE A BAD PERSON IF YOU FEED THIS" because I totally understand you. I have a cat with kidney issues and is super picky. My vet told me to feed prescription food and I tried but poor underweight baby just hated the stuff. I felt bad switching to another, non-prescription option at first, until I talked with my vet about it and she agreed: It is more important for your cat to eat than what it is they're eating, especially if they're delicate like your gorgeous princess seems to be. If you do become disillusioned with BB (or she does) I highly recommend you ask for some free samples at your local pet store. Fromm's Salmon Tunachovi, Earthborn's Wild Sea Catch, and Acana's Wild Atlantic are places to start. If the pet store is worth its salt they should have a satisfaction guaranteed program, where if she doesn't like the food/shits like a bear/gasses you to death you can return/exchange it. You can also try canned pumpkin for diarrhea, this works for a lot of people and is pretty affordable.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

porkswordonboard posted:

Oh, and that wasn't my intention! I just used your post as a jumping off point to talk about something I'm pretty familiar with. I work at a small pet store and we recently decided to slash our BB stock, so all of this was swimming at the top of my head and thought the nutrition thread was a good place to throw my two cents in.

I worked at one too, so did my sister and my mother, Last one I worked at stopped carrying Innova because of all the recalls. Honestly Blue Buffalo is over priced for what it is but it's a hell of a lot better than Alpo or any other cheap food. I did try to tell her to switch foods , but she is a stubborn as I am. - Sorry if I came off harsh in my reply.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I worked at one too, so did my sister and my mother, Last one I worked at stopped carrying Innova because of all the recalls. Honestly Blue Buffalo is over priced for what it is but it's a hell of a lot better than Alpo or any other cheap food. I did try to tell her to switch foods , but she is a stubborn as I am. - Sorry if I came off harsh in my reply.

No worries! And for sure it's miles better than Alpo or Gravy Train or what have you. I understand stubborn family members, too...some people just need to come to things in their own time, no problem with that.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Just bought a bag of Blue Wilderness for Sheila, will probably switch foods.

She's going to be 8 this year, so I'll be switching to a senior food as well.

I think I'll either go with Merrick or Taste of the Wild, since they seem pretty comparatively priced, unless anyone has another suggestion.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Flaccid Trip posted:

Just bought a bag of Blue Wilderness for Sheila, will probably switch foods.

She's going to be 8 this year, so I'll be switching to a senior food as well.

I think I'll either go with Merrick or Taste of the Wild, since they seem pretty comparatively priced, unless anyone has another suggestion.

Merrick is a good food, lots of options. Taste of the Wild is totally acceptable too, but they don't have a frequent buyer program. Have you researched Earthborn? They're like TOTW but they have a fb program, and their bags are recyclable (or terracyclable? I forget) but either way you should be able to drop off the bags at the store you purchased them at and they'll do something useful with them. Also they have more legumes as opposed to potato for a grain replacement. I would personally choose Earthborn over TOTW. Nutrisource makes a good product, too.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

porkswordonboard posted:

Merrick is a good food, lots of options. Taste of the Wild is totally acceptable too, but they don't have a frequent buyer program. Have you researched Earthborn? They're like TOTW but they have a fb program, and their bags are recyclable (or terracyclable? I forget) but either way you should be able to drop off the bags at the store you purchased them at and they'll do something useful with them. Also they have more legumes as opposed to potato for a grain replacement. I would personally choose Earthborn over TOTW. Nutrisource makes a good product, too.

I'll look into Earthborn as well. We have a lot of pet supply stores, so my options are good.

Pet Supplies Plus and Petco seem to have more options, plus we've got places like Tomlinson's.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Is Acana still pretty well regarded? Chewy.com had pretty good prices on it and I thought there was some discussion on it earlier in the thread.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Is Acana still pretty well regarded? Chewy.com had pretty good prices on it and I thought there was some discussion on it earlier in the thread.

Yes! It's a great food. If you can afford it, highly recommended.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I have a question about total calories. It was never a problem before because both of my dogs free-ate their dry dog food out of the same bowl and I never really measured anything and both of them are very healthy and a good weight.

Now that Diggy is 17, she stopped eating dry food and will only eat the wet-food packs, which can get pretty expensive. They've eaten Nutro for their whole lives so I have been sticking with Nutro for the wet food as well. It might not be the BEST of the BEST, but it's in my budget and Dig-Dug is 17, so it can't be too bad.

Anyways, since they are so expensive, and I keep running out, and Batman tends to get into the wet food if I don't stand there for 30 minutes and hold her off, or lock them up separately. Diggy takes FOREVER to eat. FOREVER. It's like watching paint dry. They've always eaten at their leisure, so I never really noticed before (but she's definitely slowed down).

Now Batman is only 3.5 pounds, and I looked up the calorie counts for a 3.5 and 13 pound dog and is it true that Batman only needs 156 calories all day? I know she's tiny, but I am sure that she eats more than that, and she's skinny as all get out. I worry too that I'm not feeding Diggy enough. She seems to wander around up in the kitchen by herself, and she's begging more, even though I'm feeding her according to the label AND a bit more. She's healthy looking though, definitely not fat at all.

Batman will still eat the dry food at her leisure, so I don't worry about her too much, but I was shocked by that 156 calorie count. I know it makes total sense based on a 150 pound human diet, but it just seems crazy small when I think about how few kibbles that actually is. I think the smallest treats that I have are about 50 on their own! :lol:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My active 80 lb dog eats about 660 calories a day to maintain his weight but every dog is different. As long as you are weighing them regularly to make sure they aren't losing weight drastically it's probably fine.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
My uncle was talking about this documentary "Pet Fooled" that came out recently. It's an exposé of the pet food industry, so I figured you guys might find it interesting. Looks like it's on Netflix now.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Okay good. I am not a bad dog-owner. I'm just not sure how much to feed them now that they've got out of their normal schedule. 156 calories just seems so silly. I KNOW she's a mal-formed runt and she's only 3 and a half pounds but I am SURE that she eats more than that and she's so skinny.

It's just Diggy that I worry about, (she's the 13 pound Jack Russell) but she's also 17 and she should probably eat anything she loving wants at this age.. including all my goddamn chicken breasts and thighs.. I swear I'm feeding half my good food to her at this point. I think maybe she has a bad tooth or something in her mouth that is hurting her, but she's 100% blind, she sleeps 21 hours a day, and I thought she was going to die last year. I wasn't planning on taking her to the vet to get general anesthesia for a tooth cleaning. I LOVE my dog, and I'd do whatever, but I thought that was a general bad versus good idea to get her teeth done at this point. If she's gonna live to like 19 years old, I should probably get a dental checkup. gently caress. It's expensive too.. It's like 800-$1000 dollars, plus a lot of trauma for Diggy.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

DoggPickle posted:

Okay good. I am not a bad dog-owner. I'm just not sure how much to feed them now that they've got out of their normal schedule. 156 calories just seems so silly. I KNOW she's a mal-formed runt and she's only 3 and a half pounds but I am SURE that she eats more than that and she's so skinny.

It's just Diggy that I worry about, (she's the 13 pound Jack Russell) but she's also 17 and she should probably eat anything she loving wants at this age.. including all my goddamn chicken breasts and thighs.. I swear I'm feeding half my good food to her at this point. I think maybe she has a bad tooth or something in her mouth that is hurting her, but she's 100% blind, she sleeps 21 hours a day, and I thought she was going to die last year. I wasn't planning on taking her to the vet to get general anesthesia for a tooth cleaning. I LOVE my dog, and I'd do whatever, but I thought that was a general bad versus good idea to get her teeth done at this point. If she's gonna live to like 19 years old, I should probably get a dental checkup. gently caress. It's expensive too.. It's like 800-$1000 dollars, plus a lot of trauma for Diggy.

Can you post a photo? Preferably from the side. TBH at 17 I would probably just be feeding her bacon and whatever else she wanted. I'd probably skip the tooth cleaning if only because afaik being under anesthesia is risky for old dogs, but I'd trust your vets advice since they know your dog.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
Are carreegenan and guar gum things I should avoid when choosing cat food if I have the flexibility?

They seem to pop up in a lot of different brands recommended, but wasn't sure if the criticism I read on the internet was unwarranted for these ingredients.

Raimondo fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 11, 2017

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Raimondo posted:

Are carreegenan and guar gum things I should avoid when choosing cat food if I have the flexibility?

They seem to pop up in a lot of different brands recommended, but wasn't sure if the criticism I read on the internet was unwarranted for these ingredients.

I would avoid them if possible. If there is a choice between a food with them and one without, go with the latter. If your cat will only eat a food that includes them, bite the bullet I suppose. If the food is a high quality meat, grain free wet that includes one of the two, I wouldn't necessarily cut it out completely, just minimize its use.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Why? AFAIK those are both stabilizers derived from edible plants. I don't think they have any nutritional value but they make dry food pellets stick together.

Beardless Woman
May 5, 2004

M for Mysterious
Carrageenan, while not necessarily dangerous can cause GI stress and discomfort. It's sometimes used as a laxative. Guar gum can also cause GI stress and discomfort.

Personally, I'd avoid them if possible. But they're in most everything. So if you find a food that you like (decent price), your cat likes, and doesn't seem to be bothering your cat's tummy, then go for it.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I get that those are things you might try eliminating if your pet is having food issues but so is literally every ingredient ever. I was wondering if there was a legit reason to avoid it.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Why is pork plasma in dog food and should I care? Elsewhere on the internet can't reach a consensus from what Im reading.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Is there any real evidence to back the claims that feeding fish-based foods to cats on a daily basis leads to mercury toxicity? I can certainly understand the idea of where this comes from. My cats love the Blue Buffalo Fish and Shrimp wet food but I want to make sure that I'm not going to fry their little cat brains with mercury.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
People were talking elsewhere about salt content in their cats' food, so I wanted to know how bad Friskies salmon pate is in this area? My cat LOVES it, to the point that the shelter told me that "this is his food". He drinks a fair amount of water and pees a lot, but I'm hoping that's more just a function of his size (15 lbs) than anything else. He's about five years old now.

He gets 1/4 can of salmon pate 2-3 times a day depending on when I'm awake and hairball/urinary care dry food to snack on at his leisure. I switched him to this dry food after he had a urinary blockage that I was fortunately home to catch. He gets his water from a pet fountain, so maybe that entices him to drink more regardless of what he eats?

Here is Oscar napping atop my couch

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I think urinary formula cat food by itself encourages drinking more water and peeing.

I haven't read anything about sodium content in pre-packaged pet food though. Got any good links?

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
It's really hard to find premium or even good canned food brands for cats in Australia, does anyone know if the brands listed in the first couple posts operate under an alias in Australia?

At the moment I feed my cat (nearly 6 months old) Royal Canin dry food for Neutered Males, but I obviously want to give him the best I can.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I have a recently adopted boy kitty who has... Some serious upset tummy issues. He has a clean bill of health otherwise, but so far almost every food we've tried him on has given him really awful gas. We've finally settled on a brand that seems, on the surface at least, to be a decent quality kibble for daily grazing in addition to wet in the evenings. It's called "I and LOVE and YOU" brand "Naked Essentials" which he did well on, and we're just now trying out the seemingly better line from the same brand, "Nude Food".

Does anyone have any experience with this food? Or at lease would be willing to give the ingredients a once over and help reassure me that my poor grumbly tumtum boy is going to stop gassing me out of the bedroom at night?

Previous food that he did well on; http://www.iandloveandyou.com/products/salmon-trout-2/

Better quality food that I'm hoping is actually better and makes him feel ok: http://www.iandloveandyou.com/products/poultry-a-plenty/

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 16, 2017

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I have a new puppy and thanks to some bad planning and miscommunication with the breeder, I ended up having to buy bag of Annamaet Encore for her, instead of what she was used to... The brand is not in the OP list, but from googling around it seems pretty good. Not sure if it is specifically good for my 8 weeks old GSD puppy though.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
We have acquired a cat and I am coming to realize I don't know how to cat food. I'm anal retentive about my dogs' food so I don't feel right feeding the cat sub par food but there are so many choices.

When gathering our cat supplies we picked up a bag of Avoderm dry food and a few flavors of wet food and I've been giving him 50/50 wet and dry food. I'm adding cat food to our Chewy auto ship and right now I have the cat version of Acana Appalachian Ranch dry food and a variety pack of Weruva wet food. Is this a good food combo for kitty? He doesn't seem picky, he wolfed down the Avoderm with no hesitation when we brought him home.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got a 12 week old puppy that's been having semi-solid poops. She had normal poops on Victor brand all stages (her breeder gave a bag of it to help transition to a new kibble) and when we transitioned her to Taste of the Wild she's had semi-solid to watery diarrhea. No other change in activity, though she's become a lot more nappy than she was on her first couple days home. Plays with the same vigor, etc.

The vet recommended a canned GI food for a little less than a week to balance her tummy and a prescription for anti-diarrheal/antibiotics because she believes she's had some sort of overgrowth. She's eating it happily, and gaining weight, her poops are just gross and sneak up on her. She even poo poo her crate.

We're thinking about the dog food to try next after this bullshit. We could go back to the Victor I guess but I'm not impressed with its reviews elsewhere on the internet. I was thinking Acana or Honest Kitchen. She's very small, so the price isn't too worrying (8-10 pounds fully grown), I'm just worried about exacerbating an already bullshit situation for her because of lovely dog food, and have heard great things about Acana and Honest Kitchen here and other places.

Does anyone feel strongly either way on these brands?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Important to note that people are reporting sicknesses and possible poisoning from Taste of the Wild dog food, possibly extending to the cat food as well. A recall is probably coming soon, and I would cross Taste of the Wild off the list of good food choices.

It seems that Fromm and Orijen are the top contender right now? Any history of recalls/poisonings?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Pollyanna posted:

It seems that Fromm and Orijen are the top contender right now? Any history of recalls/poisonings?

Not that I know of. My dogs are on Fromm and Acana (aka cheaper Orijen) and are thriving.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Xarn posted:

I have a new puppy and thanks to some bad planning and miscommunication with the breeder, I ended up having to buy bag of Annamaet Encore for her, instead of what she was used to... The brand is not in the OP list, but from googling around it seems pretty good. Not sure if it is specifically good for my 8 weeks old GSD puppy though.

Hey Xarn, I looked over the ingredients. It does not seem to be a terrible food, although it's pretty high in grains. Many dogs do very well with high quality grains. However, I'm not finding whether it's a puppy food, all life stages, or adult - worth checking into as puppies need more fat, calories, etc. It's pretty much your basic chicken and rice food, though, so there's really no reason to be paying ~$60 for what is the most basic dog food available. Fromm Gold Puppy is a way better deal and better quality, for example. Nutrisource does a nice job. Canidae is the king of meat and rice food for a very reasonable price. GSDs can have hella allergies as they age so I recommend diversifying their diet when they are young, if possible. Let us know what you can get in the area and we can probably assist you further.

Pollyanna posted:

Important to note that people are reporting sicknesses and possible poisoning from Taste of the Wild dog food, possibly extending to the cat food as well. A recall is probably coming soon, and I would cross Taste of the Wild off the list of good food choices.

Fromm had a recall for an excess of vitamin D in one of their canned varieties, which is not dangerous if a dog only has it supplementally, but they pulled it from shelves anyways. It was a voluntary recall. I believe it is their only recall in their history of over 100 years.

Orijen had a single recall in 2008 in Australia for a cat food that was improperly irradiated - don't ask me what this means, because I don't know, but it seems to be very isolated.

Nutrisource, an acceptable and affordable brand, has never had a recall, nor has their sister brand Zignature, which is a limited ingredient diet. They are affordable, and have frequent buyers. I have had great luck with these foods, although they are a little pea-heavy. I would love it someone weighed in with their opinions on this!

Problem! posted:

We have acquired a cat and I am coming to realize I don't know how to cat food. I'm anal retentive about my dogs' food so I don't feel right feeding the cat sub par food but there are so many choices.

When gathering our cat supplies we picked up a bag of Avoderm dry food and a few flavors of wet food and I've been giving him 50/50 wet and dry food. I'm adding cat food to our Chewy auto ship and right now I have the cat version of Acana Appalachian Ranch dry food and a variety pack of Weruva wet food. Is this a good food combo for kitty? He doesn't seem picky, he wolfed down the Avoderm with no hesitation when we brought him home.

Your name is the exact opposite of what you have! Those are great foods, absolutely.

Computer is being weird so more answers to other questions soon....sorry for a possible double post

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

That drat Satyr posted:

I have a recently adopted boy kitty who has... Some serious upset tummy issues. He has a clean bill of health otherwise, but so far almost every food we've tried him on has given him really awful gas. We've finally settled on a brand that seems, on the surface at least, to be a decent quality kibble for daily grazing in addition to wet in the evenings. It's called "I and LOVE and YOU" brand "Naked Essentials" which he did well on, and we're just now trying out the seemingly better line from the same brand, "Nude Food".

Does anyone have any experience with this food? Or at lease would be willing to give the ingredients a once over and help reassure me that my poor grumbly tumtum boy is going to stop gassing me out of the bedroom at night?

Previous food that he did well on; http://www.iandloveandyou.com/products/salmon-trout-2/

Better quality food that I'm hoping is actually better and makes him feel ok: http://www.iandloveandyou.com/products/poultry-a-plenty/

I'm afraid I have no personal experience with this food, but the ingredients look very, very good. First 3 ingredients are meat, and at least one is a meal. If the first ingredient is say, "turkey" and the next 3 are legumes/grains, you can be assured it is mostly the next 3, because they take the turkey into account before they process it. That means they weigh it, put it at the top of the list, and then suck all the moisture out...and if you didn't already know, meat is comprised of a lot of water! So the plethora of meat in the first ingredients is very comforting. I would also suggest adding canned pumpkin or goat milk to your buddy's food if he will eat it. Many foods tout the fact that they include them, but in such small quantities it might as well not be there. I have found that pumpkin and goat's milk can help enormously in decreasing fart production.

skaboomizzy posted:

People were talking elsewhere about salt content in their cats' food, so I wanted to know how bad Friskies salmon pate is in this area? My cat LOVES it, to the point that the shelter told me that "this is his food". He drinks a fair amount of water and pees a lot, but I'm hoping that's more just a function of his size (15 lbs) than anything else. He's about five years old now.

He gets 1/4 can of salmon pate 2-3 times a day depending on when I'm awake and hairball/urinary care dry food to snack on at his leisure. I switched him to this dry food after he had a urinary blockage that I was fortunately home to catch. He gets his water from a pet fountain, so maybe that entices him to drink more regardless of what he eats?

Here is Oscar napping atop my couch

The pet fountain is an amazing way to get cats to drink more. House cats are descended from desert cats, and as such their thirst drive is pretty low, and they like to drink running water. Just make sure to change the filter.

However...I don't really encourage feeding Friskies. Your shelter is going to abide by what is affordable to feed a large number of cats, and as such is not going to be top-tier. They'll know what a cat will actually eat, but not what is the best nutritional option for them - they cannot afford it. Looking at the ingredients for Friskies Salmon Pate, I find several questionable ingredients: Meat By-Products, second ingredient (not including water for processing , which isn't necessarily bad, but only if your cat isn't getting enough liquids). This is unspecified meat, so seriously, it could be anything left over from human food processing, so it's bits and shreds of what people don't want that's trucked a distance away to be rendered into pet food. The next ingredients are non animal-specified liver (from where??), rice, and corn bran. Cats are obligate carnivores, which means they require meat and have no need for carbohydrates. These ingredients are filler, and provide calories but little else of note.

I suggest you see if Weruva is something you can get where you live. It is high quality but not terribly expensive, in fact my cats eat a great deal of it and I am nutzo about pet nutrition. Try a few things at your local pet store! Make sure to mix new foods in a little gradually if you can, as cats are generally creatures of habit. Go in slow and let him get used to it. You'll be spending a little more for something reliable and with less fillers.

ANUSTART posted:

Why is pork plasma in dog food and should I care? Elsewhere on the internet can't reach a consensus from what Im reading.

I can't figure this one out much either, but I think they put it in there because they don't want to use the word "blood." I cannot imagine it would be too terrible unless it were unspecified meat, but it clearly says pork. And blood is highly nutritious, so I wouldn't rule out a food that has it. Might not feed it to cats, though. And you must be sure it comes from a super reputable company, but that goes without saying, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
Since a few years ago (when I learned about the benefits of wet food) I've been keeping my cat on a mix of wet and dry food, half a can of wet per day and a bowl of dry because she's pretty self-maintaining. In the past few months she's had a weird vomiting issue where she vomits bile about once a week, but I've been to two vets and nobody really knows what's going on - she's not losing weight, appetite normal, blood test normal, and so on.

Anyway, while the blood+urine test showed nothing that would suggest vomiting, my vet* mentioned that the urinary stats were borderline (pH 7.0, crystals in urine) which while not yet dangerous could mean stones down the line, which would be bad and expensive to deal with.

My problem is that the food I was given by the vet (Royal Canin urinary, wet and dry) seems rather poo poo. I had been feeding her Wellness Core (wet) and Natural Balance (dry), which I think is decent quality; this new stuff only has one ingredient in the top 10 which is meat-related and it's "chicken by-product meal."

I'm conflicted. I don't want to have to take her in to get bladder stones removed, but I also don't want to feed her bad food. Does anyone have any insight/advice on this?

Chai, the feline in question:

*Second vet. Dumped the first one after she proved unable to use a scale, saying Chai had lost a pound in a week and needed a $600 ultrasound to find out why. I took her home, weighed her myself with a pet scale, and found she hadn't lost any weight at all.