Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Missing "you're Latinthat sort of player".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you can pull off a bat flip well reaching on a bunt single then you absolutely deserve to bat flip.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Popete posted:

If you can pull off a bat flip well reaching on a bunt single then you absolutely deserve to bat flip.

Could see it happening against a shift pretty easily.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Could see it happening against a shift pretty easily.

An even better reason to bat flip, gently caress the shift.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Angels released Doug Fister. He either had to be put on the MLB roster or released today. His statline was 15.2 IP, 7R, 16H, 5BB, 15K. Not sure what kind of stuff he had but I guess he didn't impress the Angels much in the 3 starts he had in AAA Salt Lake.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He was apparently hitting 91 in his last start so that's kind of surprising.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

MLB.com did an article on batflips

They cover it in the article but the location of 10 is explained by the Todd Frazier HR from a few years ago where he lost his bat before hitting the ball

FYI, this was written by the Cespedes Family BBQ guys. They were hired by MLB when they finished their undergrad.

:allears:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

The Odubel .gifs were great and I'm a little upset that Philly fans haven't been talking about him more.

Though I suppose I have no idea if we even have any Philly fans in here.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Senf posted:

FYI, this was written by the Cespedes Family BBQ guys. They were hired by MLB when they finished their undergrad.

:allears:

Those guys are really living the loving dream.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Those guys are really living the loving dream.
In like 30 years they will be the old blowhards doing commentary during the World Series while kids complain about how out of touch they are

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Cuba should be blown up a bit on that map.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

Bunts deserve nothing but derision, hit or not

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Bunts deserve nothing but derision, hit or not

Incorrect, bunting to beat the shift is cool and good, and the only form of acceptable bunting.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Have you considered

Never

Bunt

Hit

Dingers

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i like suicide squeezes.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the only good bunt is a suicide squeeze with 2 outs, but the bunter also has to dive headfirst into 1st.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Incorrect, bunting to beat the shift is cool and good, and the only form of acceptable bunting.

They can't shift into the seats son

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

gently caress off Dusty Baker and Nationals bullpen. The only pen so bad that they can ruin a game they don't even pitch in.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ego symphonic posted:

gently caress off Dusty Baker and Nationals bullpen. The only pen so bad that they can ruin a game they don't even pitch in.

In other bullpen news, Farrell didn't bring Kimbrel into the Sox/Royals game because "it wasn't his inning" and the Sox lost so :lol:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cody Bellinger is leading the National League in home runs and he also does this sometimes

http://m.athletics.mlb.com/oak/video/v1343652683/sflad-bellinger-gets-a-bunt-knock-in-the-7th-inning/?mlbtax=bunt

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

In other bullpen news, Farrell didn't bring Kimbrel into the Sox/Royals game because "it wasn't his inning" and the Sox lost so :lol:

I am so loving sick of this inane "closer" essentialism.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bawfuls posted:

Cody Bellinger is leading the National League in home runs and he also does this sometimes

http://m.athletics.mlb.com/oak/video/v1343652683/sflad-bellinger-gets-a-bunt-knock-in-the-7th-inning/?mlbtax=bunt

why the hell is this on the a's section

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I unironically love bunts, take that SAS.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I am so loving sick of this inane "closer" essentialism.

I kind of understand it if you don't have two lockdown guys, but yeah.

What is really infuriating me is how Joe Girardi refuses to use Dellin if it's not the 8th inning. He can do 2 IP if needed and him over Clippard in a high leverage situation is just such a loving no-brainer.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Popete posted:

I'm a fan of most times guys try to bunt for hits (like, as long as it isn't the only way they could conceivably get on base), sacrifices other than squeeze plays are bad though.

Eh...change that to sacrifices other than the suicide squeeze, safety squeezes suck too.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

:same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MljLIunexEI

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Grittybeard posted:

I'm a fan of most times guys try to bunt for hits (like, as long as it isn't the only way they could conceivably get on base), sacrifices other than squeeze plays are bad though.

Eh...change that to sacrifices other than the suicide squeeze, safety squeezes suck too.

They were talking about this on some MLBN broadcast this week. Everyone laughed when Otis Nixon tried to bunt for a hit for the last out of the 1992 World Series but they explained that thanks to his speed Nixon's bunts had a 48% success rate compared to a .348 OBP - why wouldn't he take the a coinflip chance of getting on base to keep his team alive?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you're fast idk why guys don't try to bunt more often. You're a lot less likely to hit into a double play, you'll move the runner over and like the above example you might even have a better chance of reaching base than you might otherwise have.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

IcePhoenix posted:

The Odubel .gifs were great and I'm a little upset that Philly fans haven't been talking about him more.

Though I suppose I have no idea if we even have any Philly fans in here.

I try to talk about the Phillies (and how cool Odubel Herrera is :swoon:) but they're bad and not worth talking about right now.

But they did DFA Michael Saunders and Jeanmar Gomez, and Tommy Joseph remembered how to hit, so all is not lost yet.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

If you're fast idk why guys don't try to bunt more often. You're a lot less likely to hit into a double play, you'll move the runner over and like the above example you might even have a better chance of reaching base than you might otherwise have.

Starling Marte tries to bunt for a hit all the goddamn time in The Show 17 whenever the Pirates come up in the schedule and I hate him for it. :argh:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

if you wanted an update on the latest wifebeater to plague MLB

http://deadspin.com/addison-russells-wife-files-for-divorce-will-not-parti-1796313188

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Grittybeard posted:

Last night in the Ms/Tigers game, both teams got their leadoff guy on in the 10th and both followed up by popping up a bunt.

It was beautiful.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I forgot who dropped the ultimate bunt but Jose Altuve just pulled off a sac bunt for a hit, stolen base, sac bunt to 3rd, suicide squeeze to beat me in walkoff fashion the other day in the Show. So I currently hate bunts and Jose Altuve.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

mentholmoose posted:

I try to talk about the Phillies (and how cool Odubel Herrera is :swoon:) but they're bad and not worth talking about right now.

But they did DFA Michael Saunders and Jeanmar Gomez, and Tommy Joseph remembered how to hit, so all is not lost yet.

And I actually get to see them in person Tuesday and Wednesday! Woo!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

So if she's not cooperating with the MLB investigation, we're incredibly unlikely to get anything more concrete around Russell potentially having beat his wife beyond a deleted instagram comment made by his wife's friend.

Ugh.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

So if she's not cooperating with the MLB investigation, we're incredibly unlikely to get anything more concrete around Russell potentially having beat his wife beyond a deleted instagram comment made by his wife's friend.

Ugh.

Right, the friend is the only person who ever said anything about abuse. His wife said he cheated on her (which, if true, doesn't surprise me in the slightest, and that's just depressing).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Can't wait for Stephen A Smith's take.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Meanwhile, at Sun Trust stadium:

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/877671399946682368

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Inspector_666 posted:

I kind of understand it if you don't have two lockdown guys, but yeah.

What is really infuriating me is how Joe Girardi refuses to use Dellin if it's not the 8th inning. He can do 2 IP if needed and him over Clippard in a high leverage situation is just such a loving no-brainer.

Mike Axisa made a seemingly accurate observation about Clippard, so I'm not sure why anyone on the Yankees didn't see it coming.

https://twitter.com/mikeaxisa/status/877339190710501377

• Locked thread