Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Togashi will kill us all.

No survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Loads of people will survive for Christ sake.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I mean, come on. We're going to need a lot of people to die on the Dark Continent, so they can't all die before that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm already dead

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

EmmyOk posted:

The actual voyage, sure. Once they get to their destination everyone without Nen is totally screwed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shugojin posted:

The actual voyage, sure. Once they get to their destination everyone without Nen is totally screwed.

Ironically the dark continent is only dangerous to people with Nen, and nobody ever tried bringing a total normie before.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

I was referring more to the "Walking away from this" meaning "Once the Dark Continent trip itself finishes". Should've been more specific. :blush:

Tunicate posted:

Ironically the dark continent is only dangerous to people with Nen, and nobody ever tried bringing a total normie before.
Wouldn't that mean that the Kakin Royal Family is in even more danger since all the princes + the king have their Nen Fiends? I mean, sure, they're all actively trying to kill each other, so par for the course, but if Nen and the Dark Continent do not mix, then I'm guessing that puts them in as much a precarious a situation as the more experienced hunters.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://readms.net/r/hunter_x_hunter/361/4362/1

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Here we go, boys!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A stand!?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

well this is confusing

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Shugojin posted:

That's exactly why they're dropping the civilians off at a fake "new continent" while the Hunters continue on.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:laffo:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Kurapika is loving OP

Actually Its more materialization having no limits which is kinda silly

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 22, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

Kurapika is loving OP

Only because Kurapica can combine it with other Nen types using Emperor Time.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Well, that's pretty useful for spying to be fair. Since the largest thing it can control is a hamster and there just so happens to be a prince with a pet hamster, I'm wondering if we're getting some tactical hamster espionage action soon

Wild Horses posted:

Kurapika is loving OP

Well, presumable this new ability requires the person he's taking nen from to either be restrained or willingly submit to it. He's gotta draw the nen out with a syringe, and most enemies wouldn't just sit there and let him do it. Hence, the need for allies.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

im not laughing at the ability i just think the way he describes it is funny because of all the stupid emitter arguments in this thread

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

God Kurapika and his nen suck so much. Very fun chapter though and I really like the nen beasts. Time to go back and reread everything from the World Tree on before next week.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God drat that sudden twist. This fucks over so many people's plans!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TWIST FIST posted:

im not laughing at the ability i just think the way he describes it is funny because of all the stupid emitter arguments in this thread

also its a pokemon skill

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he doesn't have to put the target into zetsu, so for allies he could just borrow their hatsu alone. but i dunno, it seems a bit underwhelming?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

mentor : kurapika, you are trying to do too much for yourself, in a true nen battle you need your allies and their abilities
kurapika : allies' abilities, got it brah

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rereading from the start of the Dark Continent Arc and Togashi can even draw things that aren't turkeys really well.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hunter x Hunter is still extremely good.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So...The obvious guess with the Nen beasts is that they protect/work with the princes as long as they are in the contest. So Hakenberg is totally gonna get offed by his yeti stand in a few seconds right?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Crain posted:

So...The obvious guess with the Nen beasts is that they protect/work with the princes as long as they are in the contest. So Hakenberg is totally gonna get offed by his yeti stand in a few seconds right?

No clue it's was said they just protect their owner.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

Kurapika is loving OP

Also it's Emperor Time being the general catch-all excuse for why he can do the things he does.

Of course, now with the Pokeball power in his possession, I'm guessing one of Marayam's pets will get caught and act as eyes there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Crain posted:

the pot that makes nen beasts predates this contest by a lot. i kind of doubt the king is capable of adding such precise restrictions to them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the pot that makes nen beasts predates this contest by a lot. i kind of doubt the king is capable of adding such precise restrictions to them.

Someone not being able to add precise mechanical restrictions to a nen skill?!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If the pot was designed for succession races (can't recall) then it may already have the "murder dropouts" restriction built into it. In order to avoid a prince dropping out until all the other princes are killed by nen beasts and then only having to kill the winner.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Someone not being able to add precise mechanical restrictions to a nen skill?!

if it was his skill, sure. but the king is probably a regular dude with a nen beast he cannot control, just like all of his kids.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

If the pot was designed for succession races (can't recall) then it may already have the "murder dropouts" restriction built into it. In order to avoid a prince dropping out until all the other princes are killed by nen beasts and then only having to kill the winner.

it was not. this succession process is something new, and the pot is probably older than the kingdom itself. all it does is create protectors, and then immediately after the princes were thus equipped they were chucked into mortal danger.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

it was not. this succession process is something new, and the pot is probably older than the kingdom itself. all it does is create protectors, and then immediately after the princes were thus equipped they were chucked into mortal danger.

Ah I see, I am not yet there in my reread and couldn't recall! Perhaps the emperor doesn't care because he knows it is impossible to pull out of the race once you've joined it. Can the Princes see or control their beasts? If they can't Hakenberg doesn't really have much choice anymore.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm pretty sure thats the case and the nen beast is going to kill others regardless of whether he personally wants nothing to do with it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the nen beasts are an equalizer. they allow any princes that may have potential and talent to compete even if their resources are lacking. without the pot, the child princes would have only come there to die. the king has never been portrayed as particularly competent, but the succession battle is a surprisingly good (albeit incredibly ruthless) way of finding the most qualified heir.

as that ever-so-helpful recap said, hakenberg is a reformist who relies on his reputation. that he is withdrawing implies he actually hasn't figured out the supernatural aspects and may think it is simply a contest between assassins. nen beasts act on their own to defend their hosts, and that may mean that if their host still sees abstainers as threats the beasts will treat them as such.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh man I also forgot that this whole time Don Freecs is probably still exploring The Dark Continent. Also Netero explored the Dark Continent with Zigg Zoldyck who i guess is the little toad Zoldyck's dad?

Killua -> Silva -> Zeno -> Toad one -> Zigg?

e: I think that toad used to be Zeno's grandad but was later ret conned into his dad?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maha Zoldyck, ya mean?

Yeah, I think it's Maha - Zzigg - Zeno.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Its Killua -> Silva -> Zeno -> Zzigg - > Maha I believe.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

So this guy is probably Zigg?

there was definitely an adjustment at some point though right? This current tree makes sense at the minute though because Zzigg looks really young in the flashback and Netero looks much older.

More importantly Ging is too powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just got to the Worm Toxin chapter. It doesn't predate Kakin it was in fact created by the first king and the current king says this may in fact be the first correct use of it.