Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What's Rise of the Robots in that analogy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

rat that crawled into the box of oatmeal cream pies, at all of them, and then died

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

rat that crawled into the box of oatmeal cream pies, at all of them, and then died

This checks out since the sequel is called Rise 2: Resurrection after all

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

to expound on the previous posters analysis; melee sucks rear end

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Melee is loving great

because it provides top quality clips for Mai Neenja's Salt compilations

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is Melee the one where they have to source defective controllers because ones that actually work properly create a competitive disadvantage

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is Melee the one where they have to source defective controllers because ones that actually work properly create a competitive disadvantage

I didn't know about this so I looked into it and HOLY poo poo is this a thing melee players are particular about.

http://www.meleeitonme.com/analog-sticks-understanding-testing-and-troubleshooting-your-controllers-most-important-part/

I wonder is Smug is as particular about his xbox 360 controller which has one of the worst dpads I've ever used

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 22, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Booyah- posted:

I wonder is Smug is as particular about his xbox 360 controller which has one of the worst dpads I've ever used

Idk about Smug, but other people I know who play FGs on pad were usually pretty particular about their pads, several of them saying they always had to break them in properly.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ventana posted:

Idk about Smug, but other people I know who play FGs on pad were usually pretty particular about their pads, several of them saying they always had to break them in properly.

Pads don't have as much QA as sticks, I'm sure, so it's always kinda hard switching from a looser d-pad to a tighter one, and it feels like input precision varies a ton. My brother bought a new DS3 a bunch of years ago and I remember trying to play Skullgirls on his controller, only to realize holy poo poo why is it so hard to get stuff to come out. I thought it was just me being bad but I plugged mine in and I was doing combos just fine, same with the Hori pad. That controller just had a stiff as gently caress d-pad, and it was a brand-new original-rear end DS3. Overall it works better than mine nowadays too, but the d-pad is still garbage.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's not just qa. pad parts generally make a lot more contact than stick parts do. more contact equals more friction equals stiffer action(before wear) and more wear over time.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ventana posted:

The general point is that FGC certainly has it's own fair share of people who don't move on to other games. Some of them stick around on their old games (sf2, 3s, vsav, mvc2, whatever old game here), some of them just drop off. Melee has a bigger scene for an old game yeah, but we can't act like "all fgc players" move on to newer things like that guy said.

It wasn't my intention to say "all fgc" or "not all fgc", just in it's current form as a community Melee is the hold out that stands out in it's player base just SEEMINGLY not wanting to learn a new iteration of the game. But also wanting and, to it's credit, still getting a lot of attention towards itself. It's just loving abysmal to watch, even at EVO. Especially at EVO. And it doesn't have so much to do with stock numbers, for me it's always the same loving characters, and it's been that way for the better part of a decade.

And YES that whole thing of GameCube controllers needing to glitch a certain way to be able to pull off character movements a certain way. Is loving insane. :psypop:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's not just that they're clinging to an old game, is that they're extremely persistent about creating an esports scene around an old game that new people aren't playing, people aren't watching and promoters/TOs/Nintendo don't really want to sponsor. Good for them, I guess, but it's just not going to happen.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not just that they're clinging to an old game, is that they're extremely persistent about creating an esports scene around an old game that new people aren't playing, people aren't watching and promoters/TOs/Nintendo don't really want to sponsor. Good for them, I guess, but it's just not going to happen.

I mean, it's the game with the most players other than SFV, the most spectators other than SFV...

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Jiro posted:

And YES that whole thing of GameCube controllers needing to glitch a certain way to be able to pull off character movements a certain way. Is loving insane. :psypop:

this is the same community that pre-emptively banned hitboxes from being usable as controllers

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The only thing cool about Smash Bros is that kid who dances as Bayonetta

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

has any other "fighting game" had as consistent, enthusiastic, and long lasting a competitive scene as melee?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

has any other "fighting game" had as consistent, enthusiastic, and long lasting a competitive scene as melee?

Marvel 2 is the closest. I suppose KOF 98/99/2002 if you're in the right place but in numerical terms I think it's Marvel 2.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

NecroMonster posted:

Carrie Fisher vs Cocaine

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Grand Finals this year was off the hook

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Show some drat respect.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
ST in japan still has players and had a lot of players for a really long time

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

ST in japan still has players and had a lot of players for a really long time

Does it get 100+? I'd assume it's as big as the 98/2002(UM??) community

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

NecroMonster posted:

Are we talking about just one version of the game or as a whole? Cause hands down I'd probably say Street Fighter as a whole. MAYBE Marvel 2, or Third Strike.

Dias posted:

Marvel 2 is the closest. I suppose KOF 98/99/2002 if you're in the right place but in numerical terms I think it's Marvel 2.

Out of those three it would definitely be 2002, especially if we are talking about Mexico and southwards. '97 and '99 and 2000 will always be my favorites. I do really like current KOF though that poo poo is great, online that's another story.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

NecroMonster posted:

Super Turbo was at EVO all the way up until 4 was released I believe. Even today the game is no slouch, with well over a 100 people registered for it at Combobreaker. Marvel 2 lasted 11 years, however IIRC it was suffering from a decline during it's last two years or so.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 22, 2017

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

The Super Turbo station at Evo last year was the place to be cuz everyone was older and even more wasted than most of the other stations and they kept having to delay poo poo cuz people kept spilling their drinks. I assume it's always like that which is why I'm sad they jacked up the prices this year.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

KOF '97 in China. That 2014 tourney had more spectators than any other fighting game event by a fair margin (I think it peaked at around 500,000 viewers)

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
KOF 97/98 is the actual correct answer.

ST and 3rd Strike still have a devoted scene that will play forever, and some decent turnouts at majors sporadically, but they wouldn't get even close to 1000+ entrants at EVO and other events like Melee still does.

The MvC2 scene is way overblown. The game was only popular in the US and there's only MAYBE 200 people who could even play the game at its highest level even at its peak, and a lot of them are retired now.
3rd Strike overtook the game as the main event in the scene in 2004 and the numbers followed pretty quickly.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/MrWiz/status/880124302829297664

Fighting games are...saved?

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

It's nice of isdd to pay smug 3k just for attending Evo.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Keegers posted:

So like, you gonna elaborate on that or something?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jiro posted:

So like, you gonna elaborate on that or something?

https://twitter.com/ImstillDadaddy/status/882150443689938944

https://twitter.com/ImstillDadaddy/status/882302535633170432

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Keegers posted:

To be fair he'll make that back in a couple weekends dealing coke >.>

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

https://www.twitch.tv/tekken

This Philippines Tekken tournament is pretty sick, top 8 is all Korea/Japan and for once Saint isn't in grand finals because he just got knocked out of losers by a Korean Kazumi.

e: Knee vs JDCR winners finals about to start

Veib fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 9, 2017

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Good tournament, all the top 8 was worth catching

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

To be fair he'll make that back in a couple weekends dealing coke >.>

drat we got a narc itt

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The REAL Goobusters posted:

drat we got a narc itt

:iiam:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEbY-mwpSdM

Hold onto your dicks, because this is one of the greatest sets of Tekken. Tasty Steve entirely losing his poo poo throughout.

Actually, pretty much all of the top 8 was incredible.

ADTerminal
Jun 1, 2011
So is ISDD a confirmed coke dealer or are we just guessing

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dias posted:

Does it get 100+? I'd assume it's as big as the 98/2002(UM??) community

Game Newton gets 100+ for Hokuto no Ken, I wouldn't doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ADTerminal posted:

So is ISDD a confirmed coke dealer or are we just guessing

Just me throwing shade... and having seen him do what realllly like a phone deal on his stream once.