Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yes, bait that comes pre-stuffed with missiles if we set up a PDC on it. I don't particularly care if the IC comes to take it back or not, but if they do I want them to pay for it. It's also rather nicely located to control access to Pluto. If the locals will let us set up a DSTS (or give us access to the data from theirs if they have one), it would make holding on to Pluto a hell of a lot easier. Sure, anyone wanting to sneak up on Pluto could just go way around or crawl by super slow, but that would add weeks if not months to their trip.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'd much prefer to return the pdcs to Triton. Build up the defenses there! That is our objective.

Putting them up on Pluto will just piss off earth.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Pluto's definitely a no-go unless Earth specifically asks us to take over protection, I agree on that.

Triton is already thoroughly protected with a massive PDC and, you know, Triton Fleet. Adding some dinky PDC's small enough to fit in just three freighters won't do much against the kind of assault that would overcome the battleship-sized PDC we've already got there, I'd much rather use them to secure FOBs like S-T (if the locals are willing) or wherever else.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

11 March, 1952hrs

The second Marissa Mayer is towed into position and rearmed as best they can, a small volunteer crew keeps watch over S-T.

During this the SB operations vessel departs for pluto with two destroyers and the captured tanker in tow.

12 March, 0152hrs

A force is spotted on the passive sensors of a snoopship hiding on one of Saturns moons. It appears to be making directly for Uranus at 2300kps.

The 'Steve Jobs' class contact has an enormous thermal signature suggesting a size in the range of 15000T-20000T.

Pash posted:

Haha, if there are PDC's in the holds we could totally set one up on S-T (with their permission) after we take it back. That might be funny.

The manifests were scrambled or deleted when the crew surrendered. There is a lot of scientific and excavations supplies but from a non-expert inspection it does look like there are also prefabricated PDC parts and there is definitely a deconstructed laser cannon in one freighter.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Sooo, seems we need to do something about protecting Neptune, ASAP.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

So, Triton may be in a spot of trouble depending on how fast Dumbo can get back...

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Dorf me up.

I'd like a fast, light ship called La Plata, keeping up with the whole "southern hemisphere migration to Mars" lore.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Quick and dirty analysis of what we can see right now:
Bill Gates: We know this guy well, and have killed two of his buddies. Heavy cruiser, decent PD, mainly armed with lasers and maybe microwaves
Elon Musk: Haven't seen before, but CAG is the designation for missile cruiser
Zuckerberg: Ditto, but CAA is... probably an anti-fighter/missile cruiser, I can't remember off the top of my head for sure
Steve Jobs: Big fucker, battleship sized, because they're the IC assume it's got some bullshit like microwaves or mesons (please no) or whatever as its main weapons
Robert Ford: Munitions tender, chock full of missiles. I doubt they'd send one out just for the CAG, so it implies there's a host of those bullshit box launcher ships tagging along

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

So I guess let's forget about any S-T ops, get our forces back to Triton, and deploy the captured defense installations if there's time.

Ed: And maybe send a fleet scout out to gather intel on that big contact?

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
INTEL:

I don't suppose our inner system guys have run into the Musk/Zuckerberg/Jobs during initial engagements and can give some idea as to their capabilities?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Fray posted:

So I guess let's forget about any S-T ops, get our forces back to Triton, and deploy the captured defense installations if there's time.

Ed: And maybe send a fleet scout out to gather intel on that big contact?

Seems like it. We could maybe try to send some infantry to take S-T via a roundabout path, but really we probably can't spare any ships to defend them... and even if we did its unlikely that they would be able to stop that extra fleet.

As it is it looks like we need to ball up to deal with the combination of those reinforcements and the ships already at Uranus. We could try some raiding, but it seems unlikely that we could actually capture any shipping, as any raiders of our would have to be small and get in and out before the IC fleet from Uranus responds. Hopefully we pulled enough IC forces from the inner system for now to appease Command.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

With IC's fleet moving out, would it make sense to raid some undefended Saturn holdings? Or too much of a risk of splitting forces?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

With IC's fleet moving out, would it make sense to raid some undefended Saturn holdings? Or too much of a risk of splitting forces?

I think its safe to assume that Saturn is still defended, probably at least some very strong PDCs. I think if we struck there the IC would jump on Neptune with their full outer system force. If we are gonna raid it should probably be some small ships looking to jump unprotected shipping, blowing it up and running away.

Alternatively if we could convince Special Branch to give us some of their jamming tech we could have our marines go out, capture some shipping, and then fly somewhere else as hopefully the IC would not realize anything was wrong until their shipment was late.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Dorf reporting for duty. My ship will be called the Prancer. Ideally something quick but I'm not fussy.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Pash posted:

I think its safe to assume that Saturn is still defended, probably at least some very strong PDCs. I think if we struck there the IC would jump on Neptune with their full outer system force. If we are gonna raid it should probably be some small ships looking to jump unprotected shipping, blowing it up and running away.

Alternatively if we could convince Special Branch to give us some of their jamming tech we could have our marines go out, capture some shipping, and then fly somewhere else as hopefully the IC would not realize anything was wrong until their shipment was late.

Probably best to assume that SB is otherwise engaged at present.

And remember, it's way eaier to salvage the IC fleet wrecks if they're close to Uranus than near Saturn!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Now would be a good time to maybe send off our Marines to gently caress with some harvesting?

Remember our priorities?

1. Defend Neptune and our own gas mining operations.
2. Impede their gas mining .
3. Lure out as many enemy ships as possible to the outer system.

We're doing 1. And we've succeeded at 3.

Might try to gently caress their mining up now.

(We need to keep the initiative. If we hit their miningplatforms with our Marines I bet they won't dare bring too large a force to gently caress with Neptune)

Are we playing against another player or against AI or is Saros playing all three sides?

Affi fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 23, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Their mining platforms are all behind nasty looking PDC's the Marines aren't going to be dealing with any time soon, the best we can manage is interdicting some shipping.

(I think Saros is playing all sides btw)

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Definitely pull all fleet assets back to Triton and forget S-T for now. Might as well carry on with the Pluto expedition since it's already on the way.

Idea: If we can repair the engines on the captured DDG, could we get it functional in time that we could use it in conjunction with a scout to suicide bomb that logistics ship? I'm sure a 50 missile salvo would deal with a cargo ship well enough, even with our slightly inferior missiles and a fleets worth of PD around it. Idea being for the DDG to sneak in close then use a datalink from a gale class further out with it's actives on for targeting, then get the hell out if possible, and if not oh well. Posthumous awards all round. If we could neutralise that logistics capability early it would be a huge boost to us, otherwise those DDGs are going to give us a really hard time and could well prove too much for us to deal with, especially if we are on the defensive. They aren't so bad when we are attacking and they get 2 volleys off and die, but if we are pinned by their capital ships and the DDGs have room to rearm they will be very nasty indeed.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
I'm gonna advocate for liberating Swift-Tuttle ASAP, it'll likely shore up support among other independent colonies to join us against the IC if they see that we're serious about protecting them.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Affi posted:

Now would be a good time to maybe send off our Marines to gently caress with some harvesting?

Remember our priorities?

1. Defend Neptune and our own gas mining operations.
2. Impede their gas mining .
3. Lure out as many enemy ships as possible to the outer system.

We're doing 1. And we've succeeded at 3.

Might try to gently caress their mining up now.

(We need to keep the initiative. If we hit their miningplatforms with our Marines I bet they won't dare bring too large a force to gently caress with Neptune)

Are we playing against another player or against AI or is Saros playing all three sides?

I'm moving all the pieces around and doing the details but the major IC decisions like the convoy and the redeployment are made by a mystery goon who kindly volunteered to make choices from the options and info I present them with.

Crazycryodude posted:

Quick and dirty analysis of what we can see right now:
Bill Gates: We know this guy well, and have killed two of his buddies. Heavy cruiser, decent PD, mainly armed with lasers and maybe microwaves
Elon Musk: Haven't seen before, but CAG is the designation for missile cruiser
Zuckerberg: Ditto, but CAA is... probably an anti-fighter/missile cruiser, I can't remember off the top of my head for sure
Steve Jobs: Big fucker, battleship sized, because they're the IC assume it's got some bullshit like microwaves or mesons (please no) or whatever as its main weapons
Robert Ford: Munitions tender, chock full of missiles. I doubt they'd send one out just for the CAG, so it implies there's a host of those bullshit box launcher ships tagging along

Nick Esasky posted:

INTEL:

I don't suppose our inner system guys have run into the Musk/Zuckerberg/Jobs during initial engagements and can give some idea as to their capabilities?

The Steve Jobs is completely unknown but Intel does know there are only 6 in service and it's the IC's biggest, newest ship class so it's deployment is a pretty large step up in how seriously they are taking the outer system. Otherwise from information gained in the battle of Patroclus Cryo's assessment is largely correct. The CAG Elon Musk class is probably an anti-PDC siege warship with long range, slow, multi-stage missiles as it was never observed moving over 2300kps and they were brought in after the main battle to suppress the asteroids defenses.

Pash posted:

Saturn definitely has a PDC network spread out amongst the moons, Titan is the IC's third largest settlement and should be well defended. SB is heading off to the outer system for now but if you wanted to go convoy raiding there's a good chance civvie ships wouldn't see any marines coming until way too late and the comms array would be the first thing they'd disable.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
How much of their expected total fleet strenght is that anyway. Could it be possible that this maneuver, even with all those forces it's using, is just a diversion for something else? Forcing us to pull back all ships so they can sneak something by somewhere else that would ordinarily be guarded?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Such as what exactly? There's nothing out here apart from Neptune (and kind of Pluto) that we care about anyway.

@Politics: What has earth said about the Pluto convoy and the interception?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
It could be a move to keep us pinned to Neptune instead of out gallavanting about blowing up IC government or commercial assets. They could also be prepping for a second go at Pluto, though neutralizing us first would probably be more prudent than just heading off to Pluto again.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh there's a goon on the other end, that's very interesting to know.

Re: S-T liberation, I think we should stick with the plan. A few corvettes aren't gonna tip the scales in a battle of the size we're looking at, so they might as well be out and about acting useful (and as an emergency reserve if we lose the Battle of Triton)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This move on Neptune might be a distraction but it's not one we can afford to ignore, unfortunately.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Of course not, but we don't need to bite it hook, line, and sinker by dropping everything and rushing every ship we have to it.

Never let the enemy dictate the tempo of the battle, stick to the plan. The plan that already has our main fleet heading home to Triton anyways.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I'm all for still liberating S-T, but if they are brining a siege warship to the outersystem we need to make sure we defend Neptune, which means getting the majority of our fleet back there ASAP.

I will however also state that we should probably start some commerce raiding with the marines. I suggest sending a fleet scout and the marine ships out to pick off undefended shipping. Those ships should be fast enough to run from enemy fleet assets and are generally weak enough ships that they wont matter to much in any upcoming fleet engagement.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

Of course not, but we don't need to bite it hook, line, and sinker by dropping everything and rushing every ship we have to it.

Never let the enemy dictate the tempo of the battle, stick to the plan. The plan that already has our main fleet heading home to Triton anyways.

Sorry, that was a crosspost, not in direct reply to you. Just to the general idea that this is a feint.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Sending the Marines out on Wolfpack duty is a pretty good idea after S-T is liberated. Not like there's anywhere else to invade, and we might even take some intact. The only problem I see is that the Marine ships have abysmal fuel efficiency, sustaining independent ops might be tough. I guess they can live off pirated sorium....

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Defend Triton at all costs.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I'm inclined to focus on winning the battle with the incoming force above everything else. If we damage IC's Saturn fleet to the point that we gain superiority, we can then take care of S-T at our leisure.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Listen to me. Swift-Tuttle is basically a worthless rock! We don't need it! It doesn't "guard" anything! Space is hugeeee anyone can sneak past anything!

We need to protect Neptune or Mars is truly hosed! (No fuel = not good)
We need to keep IC on the backfoot!

That means bring the heavy poo poo home and as they concentrate on our hardpoint we go after ALL of their soft points. Raid the gently caress out of their sorium harvesting.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Affi posted:

Listen to me. Swift-Tuttle is basically a worthless rock! We don't need it! It doesn't "guard" anything! Space is hugeeee anyone can sneak past anything!

That means bring the heavy poo poo home and as they concentrate on our hardpoint we go after ALL of their soft points. Raid the gently caress out of their sorium harvesting.

Yes this exactly. S-T is only relevant as a distraction for the IC and since they are currently ignoring it it is totally worthless. Defend Triton and the Neptune harvesters at all costs, and the best way to do that IMHO is take out that logistics ship if we can think of a way to do it while taking minimal losses ourselves. A captured IC DDG would seem ideally suited to the task if we can get its engines going.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Affi posted:

This guy gets it. Swift-Tuttle has no strategic significance. Liberating it should be a long-term goal, preferably once we've beaten back the IC's response. Our immediate priority should be to protect our holdings around Neptune and disrupt the IC's harvesting operations as much as possible. We are officially at war now, so we can't afford to waste forces on a tiny rock like S-T, no matter how much we might like the people there.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

S-T is important, though. The locals are gonna love us unconditionally if we ride heroically to their rescue. A friendly S-T lets us plunk a DSTS or two in a prime spot to control the quickest route to Pluto. Yes, the IC can just go around, but they'd have to go way around. Adding a week or two to any trip they make is another week or two those ships aren't defending Saturn or harassing us.

It's also decently positioned as a nice little FOB for the short-legged Marines to go commerce raiding from.

The only thing the Marines can do in the defense of Triton is eat some missiles well before getting in range and waste valuable ships. The only thing the infantry at Triton can do is stare gormlessly at the flashes in orbit and maybe die to a siege missile. We lose nothing by proceeding with the plan, and potentially lose the Marines for no gain by aborting.

I can compromise and leave the assault carrier back at Triton, because it actually stands a chance of being useful (I have mad fever dreams of capturing the Jobs). The corvettes and regular infantry, however, need to go to S-T, if only as self preservation.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 23, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I support this idea. If there are assets on Triton that can't defend it but could liberate S-T, might as well go for it.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Same - my Marine ship, the Labou-class frigate B. L. Tailor, can't really add much to a standup fight. Its anti-fighter missiles, while they can be used against incoming box-launched salvos, are actually slower than the IC strike missiles and would have an abysmal interception rate. It's doubful they would accomplish much in the way of attrition before impact. Plus they are extremely shortlegged and have low MSP and repair numbers.

But conversely, the specialized Marine baffled engines on these ships are perfect for loitering in space and surprising civilian convoys (with limited escorts). Going flat-out at 3.6kps my ship only has a thermal signature of 42, less than that of a Deimos fighter almost one-fourth its size. If we take our time and move out slowly, the signature will be even less. Doesn't mean you can't see them on actives, but ships with actives on are very visible and can either be avoided or maneuvered around until you are in a good position to strike.

Taking and holding S-T would give us the necessary forward base for these sorts of operations, and even if they never manage to hit a convoy just the threat of convoy strikes would make the IC either divert additional forces for escort or hunting duties or divert convoys to longer routes. Either way it's good for us!

TL;DR: Take S-T, use as base for space-wolfpacks.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
We can discuss holding S-T after dealing with the death fleet heading towards our HQ.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It's possible to do two things at once, especially when the assets for one thing would be useless for the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
However, those same assets would be completely wasted if their group's actives don't pick up an enemy force until missiles have already launched. Moving the non-essential ships into the Kuiper Belt might be the safest plan so should the worst happen and Triton Base falls, they can slow boat to Pluto or towards Mars while trying to limit their exposure to IC raiders closer to their planets/bases.