Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Indycar is like one of those sea sponges you cut in half and a new one grows. Then it washes up on a beach and dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Some indycar fans should probably be cut in half as well

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SmackForum kind of owned because IIRC it was basically impossible to get banned from it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I wonder if SmackForum, the CrapWagon offsite forum for people too unsuitable for CrapWagon, is still around.

It is.

They predicted the 500 having poo poo attendence by 2020.

(People would go to that drat race after a nuclear war. The drat thing survived two world wars for christ's sake. People would go to see people racing golf carts around the track so long as "BACK HOME AGAIN" got belted out. )

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It was mainly Crapwagon except with posts calling the mods of Crapwagon morons, and with even more mental illness.

Like here's the thing.

I'm critical as all hell about NASCAR, the sanctioning body. I think the current generation of France Family members are idiots and they seem to jerk themselves off at any given moment

This being said...I don't get angry at drivers, owners and fans. I like quite a few of them. i'd also go to a race if given the chance (and the money) because I think that's fun to do. I'd rather be hanging out with a guy in a Dale Jr. cut off chugging Miller Lites and talking about Harry Gant than to hang out with some guy that's mad online and sees no joy in life.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Feels Villeneuve posted:

SmackForum kind of owned because IIRC it was basically impossible to get banned from it.

there is a guy called "spearchuckerjones" in the thread im reading over there so yeah, i guess so. also not sure the no baning thing is... a good thing.

im enjoying their lovingly created art though.

fucken #gotem

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Feels Villeneuve posted:

people too unsuitable for CrapWagon

:psyboom:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is going off second and third-hand knowledge from years ago but IIRC there was some drama with the owners of Crapwagon about pocketing money that was used for some donation drive, hence offsite Crapwagon forums.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Funny too that a few actual personalities posted at crapwagon once upon a time (Hinch, Gentilozzi, and a few others).

Hinch was a god to those people like a decade ago.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Is there an ALMS forum still out there dedicated to calling IMSA "GrandSham" and stuff? I really hope so.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I sure miss watching 2 p1 2 p2 cars and 4 gtlm cars racing around.

Edit - iirc there was some ALMS forum that shut down right after the merger happened because the sanctity of american sports car racing was finished.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

They were only around for like a year and a half, but I quit following ALMS regularly around the time de Ferran withdrew his team.

quote:

sanctity of american sports car racing

:aslol:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Funny too that a few actual personalities posted at crapwagon once upon a time (Hinch, Gentilozzi, and a few others).

Hinch was a god to those people like a decade ago.

one of them claimed that they spoke with Derek Daly and begged for him to not have Conor race in IndyCar. I imagine that fell on deaf ears considering Conor's step dad managed Panther back in the day and currently is in charge of running IMS.

The other good story was one of the idiots running up to Bobby Rahal demanding an apology for leaving CART at Portland when Graham was in Atlantics. Allegedly Bobby told him "gently caress you" amongst other things

Their list of heroes got progressively shorter. I believe at one point they were down to Chris Pook (HE'S GONNA SAVE LONG BEACH FROM THE IRHELL AND GIVE IT BACK TO FORMULA 1), Jacques Villeneeuve, Juan Montoya (both went back and have since showered the current series with praise), and Gordon Johncock. They liked Gordy apparently because he wants nothing to do with indycar/Indy 500. They praised him for skipping the 100th and attending a race in Oswego instead. (FWIW? Johncock when asked about Indycar racing? Hates it because of "foreigners")

Oh also Greg Moore. But uh...he'd have been in the IRL with Penske if not for Fontana.

They're really assbackwards people. Guys like Rahal, Penske, Ganassi, The Andrettis, Carl Haas, Paul Newman, Pat Patrick, AJ Foyt, Dale Coyne., Gerald Forsythe....those are the guys that created/helped grow ChampCar/CART, etc. But they have this weird entitlement. "No, no not those guys that spent money, time, blood, sweat and tears into the sport.. It was US. US that created CART. not them!".

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

there is a guy called "spearchuckerjones" in the thread im reading over there so yeah, i guess so. also not sure the no baning thing is... a good thing.

im enjoying their lovingly created art though.

fucken #gotem

Spearchucker Jones is a MASH character.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best part of the driver loyalty thing was that they loved the awful pay drivers that came in in the last years of CCWS. As if Tristan Gommendy, Dan Clarke, and Ryan Dalziel all had million dollar offers from Penske but chose REAL RACING instead.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

And remember when all those guys came over in 2008 and kicked everyone's rear end?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In fairness Will Power kind of did.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

dentist toy box posted:

And remember when all those guys came over in 2008 and kicked everyone's rear end?

Well it took them a while to get used to driving the crapwagons after driving the fine racing machinery that was the Panoz DP-01. And they were afraid they were all going to break their backs in those dangerous cars so they took it easy.

Did I do that right?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The best part of the driver loyalty thing was that they loved the awful pay drivers that came in in the last years of CCWS. As if Tristan Gommendy, Dan Clarke, and Ryan Dalziel all had million dollar offers from Penske but chose REAL RACING instead.

Razzle Dazzle is pretty awesome though.

man. All of that forum warrior stuff...I don't think I ever went to CrapWagon or any other place, but definitely Had Opinions on some places about both the open wheel and sports car splits. Sigh. Late teen years were bad for that. Eventually you realize it's race cars and this is what happens and tilting so hard for the banner earns you nothing.

...those IRL cars were loving awful in comparison to even the late-CCWS Lolas though :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The 2003-2011 IRL cars were absolutely horrible and probably the #1 reason I simply could not get into the series back then.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wicka posted:

Spearchucker Jones is a MASH character.

Ah, mash was before my time and never really interested me. Still, not a great choice in username.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The 2003-2011 IRL cars were absolutely horrible and probably the #1 reason I simply could not get into the series back then.

The oval-heavy schedule was why I never really paid attention to the IRL.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I read yesterday Joe Heitzler inexplicably turned down a ESPN TV deal for CART in 2002....favouring a CBS/Speedvision one. Unbelievable.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think the current balance of tracks is good. Maybe one more race on each type of track would be ideal, but that's a scheduling thing that's come up before. Speaking of which.

I brought this up in NASCAR chat, but honestly, Indy could probably push to the end of September, but only race on Saturdays once the NFL starts. You could probably fit in Miami then, either roval or oval, and possibly bring back Fontana or Michigan if you shuffle the rest of the schedule around. Marquee CFB games that time of year are rare outside of opening weekend (and thus Sunday is still viable that week), so you can at least get some people to watch because the big programs are playing cupcakes at that time.

So here's my take on scheduling, and this is heavily idealized: add in Michigan between Mid-Ohio and Pocono. Though this won't happen because of reasons, COTA would be a good stop between St. Pete and Long Beach (and won't be god awful hot). Then finish off after Sonoma in Miami on a Saturday night.

There, one road course, one speedway, and one intermediate.

e: or instead of Michigan you can do Fontana at night, again, dodging the bullet of horrendous heat.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 22, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

I think the current balance of tracks is good. Maybe one more race on each type of track would be ideal, but that's a scheduling thing that's come up before. Speaking of which.

I brought this up in NASCAR chat, but honestly, Indy could probably push to the end of September, but only race on Saturdays once the NFL starts. You could probably fit in Miami then, either roval or oval, and possibly bring back Fontana or Michigan if you shuffle the rest of the schedule around. Marquee CFB games that time of year are rare outside of opening weekend (and thus Sunday is still viable that week), so you can at least get some people to watch because the big programs are playing cupcakes at that time.

So here's my take on scheduling, and this is heavily idealized: add in Michigan between Mid-Ohio and Pocono. Though this won't happen because of reasons, COTA would be a good stop between St. Pete and Long Beach (and won't be god awful hot). Then finish off after Sonoma in Miami on a Saturday night.

There, one road course, one speedway, and one intermediate.

e: or instead of Michigan you can do Fontana at night, again, dodging the bullet of horrendous heat.

If they do Saturday races they should do them during the day. Whenever they have Saturday night races I'm almost never around to watch them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fontana would have to be night though if they have it in the summer, or else you run into heat problems that lead to it going away.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Saturdays during football season is for college football.

wicka posted:

If they do Saturday races they should do them during the day. Whenever they have Saturday night races I'm almost never around to watch them.

We get it. You have friends IRL.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The honest reason I follow F1 more closely than any other motorsport is that most races are on at 8am and it never conflicts with anything else I'm doing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

wicka are you aware you can watch racing even when it's not on live tv?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

wicka are you aware you can watch racing even when it's not on live tv?

I can't deal with tape delayed sporting events.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gret posted:

Saturdays during football season is for college football.

We get it. You have friends IRL.

Yeah, but if a big team is playing a cupcake (like some FBS team playing an FCS team), only the fans of that team are really going to watch. If it's say, Ohio State vs Oklahoma or Wisconsin vs LSU (two that immediately spring to mind from last year), sure, you're going to get more casual CFB fans watching because of a big name matchup. You're not going to run into that as often in September.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

wicka posted:

Yeah watching sports on delay fuckin sucks

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

kidcoelacanth posted:

Yeah watching sports on delay fuckin sucks

:agreed:

I'll watch highlight packages, but I find it very hard to sit down and watch a whole game or race after the fact.

Also, in other news:

National Weather Service posted:

Saturday
A slight chance of showers between 1pm and 4pm, then a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 4pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Sunday
A slight chance of showers, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 69. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Does IndyCar actually race in the rain or is it redflagged at the single drop of water?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Does IndyCar actually race in the rain or is it redflagged at the single drop of water?

They race in the rain on road courses, but they only have one kind of rain tires that are roughly equivalent to F1 intermediates, so if it's really pouring they have to red flag.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Wirth1000 posted:

Not on road/street courses. They just put wet tires on.

Here is why Indycar doesn't run ovals when the track is wet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=funydo99Q5Y

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Oh yeah, even myself, a highly intelligent and beautiful entity, knows that ovals + rain = :yosbutt:.

I'm amazed they still did it in that clip.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
IndyCar rain tires are dogshit and really should only be used on a wet track and not one actively being rained on.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Maybe they should uhh get some actual wets then?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Will Power double birds never gets old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Will Power double birds never gets old

Mostly because it was so deserved. I don't know how anything in racing tops "restarting an oval race, on slicks, on a wet track".

• Locked thread