Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

CFox posted:

Right now the top 3 sold 1070 listings on ebay in the US are 510, 530, 700. They're generally selling for around $500 except for clueless people that list them for less.

This is especially funny because $400 1070s have been coming in and out of stock from various retailers, I bought a FE from the Nvidia store that arrived yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Build an x299 system, use Vega. Enjoy warm winters

eames
May 9, 2009

all those 1000W PSUs will finally have a purpose :allears:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

I don't doubt that Vega will require buttloads of power, however we're just supposed to accept that the anonymous forum post is from who it claims to be?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Hi, I work for MSI and I can confirm that the Vega cards will require a 24-pin connector and minimum 1200W dedicated power supply just for itself and submerged in a small aquarium filled with mineral oil.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Wirth1000 posted:

Hi, I work for MSI and I can confirm that the Vega cards will require a 24-pin connector and minimum 1200W dedicated power supply just for itself and submerged in a small aquarium filled with mineral oil.

Will I be able to use this as a deep fryer? I'd rather not get out of my chair to cook dinner.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Hi, the guy from MSI again, yes, you can, Anarchist Mae! We're even introducing a KFC-edition of Vega. Overclock your GPU at the same time as overclocking your arteries!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Wirth1000 posted:

Hi, the guy from MSI again, yes, you can, Anarchist Mae! We're even introducing a KFC-edition of Vega. Overclock your GPU at the same time as overclocking your arteries!

I feel this belongs in the Buttcoin thread, as a way for them to further reduce their power bill by reclaiming some of that heat energy for food prep!

AMD will always win on the nuggets-cooked-per-inch metric.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DrDork posted:

I feel this belongs in the Buttcoin thread, as a way for them to further reduce their power bill by reclaiming some of that heat energy for food prep!

AMD will always win on the nuggets-cooked-per-inch metric.

Maybe for GPUs

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Anarchist Mae posted:

I don't doubt that Vega will require buttloads of power, however we're just supposed to accept that the anonymous forum post is from who it claims to be?

The Videocardz guy has a good track record of vetting rumours and culling fake ones, so I'm willing to take his word for it. He doesn't just post every unsubstantiated rumour on the entire internet like WCCF does.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don't think we really need to rely on rumors, the Vega Frontier Edition is 300W on air and 375W for the liquid. I imagine thats what the gaming cards will be at too (for the 16gig version anyway), since its the same silicon.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Jesus christ

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Man, totally unrelated to the current conversation, but it is a massive loving pain in the rear end to try and find MXM form factors of various GPUs. There's basically just ebay and pray as far as I can see, outside of one Taiwanese company specializing in making custom MXM modules with nvidia chips which work at extremely wide temperature ranges.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gwaihir posted:

Man, totally unrelated to the current conversation, but it is a massive loving pain in the rear end to try and find MXM form factors of various GPUs. There's basically just ebay and pray as far as I can see, outside of one Taiwanese company specializing in making custom MXM modules with nvidia chips which work at extremely wide temperature ranges.

OEMs hardly even use MXM anymore, so the market is small, and an even smaller number of people are interested in upgrading their MXM GPU, so it probably makes very little sense to bother with direct sales to consumers rather than OEMs.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah I don't think they're retail available literally anywhere so you just have to hope enough people shuck em outta dead ~gaming laptops~ and throw em on ebay.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
MXM was never really designed for user upgrading GPUs, but rather just making it easier for OEMs to support multiple GPUs in one product line. And it's not a fully drop-in-replacement standard either IIRC - the MB actually has to specifically be configured to work with a particular MXM GPU.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
You would think that MXM would be making a comeback in this era of PCIe mezzanine cards though. Is there something that would keep you from putting 4-8 MXM modules in a rackmount and launching your own knockoff of NVIDIA's rackmount servers?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

You would think that MXM would be making a comeback in this era of PCIe mezzanine cards though. Is there something that would keep you from putting 4-8 MXM modules in a rackmount and launching your own knockoff of NVIDIA's rackmount servers?

Knockoff in what sense? Using MXM to lay the GPUs flat against the motherboard might make cooling easier, but it won't give you the bandwidth of NVs 800-pin connectors.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

repiv posted:

Knockoff in what sense? Using MXM to lay the GPUs flat against the motherboard might make cooling easier, but it won't give you the bandwidth of NVs 800-pin connectors.

Knockoff in terms of "Not being almost 200k," probably.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have no doubt that some deranged engineer over at Supermicro has a half-finished layout for a server board that abuses the MXM form factor and stands them upright, using heatpipes to funnel thermals off to a much larger fin array than you could squeeze in between densely-packed MXM boards.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you want to beat NVIDIA at ML performance, don't use GPUs.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There are PCI-Ex to MXM risers around. But if you really wanna get wild n' krazy kids with it, its all about this thing (that i dont know if ever really existed in retail form cause lol)

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Wow that thing owns.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, I'm giving up. I just looked up how much M2000M MXM cards are going for, and I might as well hock it for a profit at this point.

Now I just have to wait.... for.... EPYC/Threadripper..... :suicide:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I expect a lot of people won't be stopped by the power requirements if it performs.

If not...

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Dead heat with a 1080ti for 20% more power and I could bite. But the miners won't probably won't let me.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

There are PCI-Ex to MXM risers around. But if you really wanna get wild n' krazy kids with it, its all about this thing (that i dont know if ever really existed in retail form cause lol)

Hah, honestly it wouldn't be that hard to commission a Chinese company to start making those... then if you could drop $2000 for dual GTX 1080 MXMs from Eurocom...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Zero VGS posted:

Hah, honestly it wouldn't be that hard to commission a Chinese company to start making those... then if you could drop $2000 for dual GTX 1080 MXMs from Eurocom...

Wouldn't cooling those things be a bitch? Since you have less area to spread your heat sink over?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

Wouldn't cooling those things be a bitch? Since you have less area to spread your heat sink over?

Yeah but with a waterblock it could be a single-slot dual GPU, ITX length card.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014
I love microcenter. Just picked up a GTX 1080 EVGA Classified for $480 and I get the $30 MIR and Destiny 2.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

HamHawkes posted:

I love microcenter. Just picked up a GTX 1080 EVGA Classified for $480 and I get the $30 MIR and Destiny 2.

The codes are insta-selling on eBay for $45 each or you could do SA-Mart if you don't wanna play it... I'm not holding out hope that it'd be a huge improvement over the first one.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well that's stupid because you can only redeem the code with a 1080 in your system.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

The codes are insta-selling on eBay for $45 each or you could do SA-Mart if you don't wanna play it... I'm not holding out hope that it'd be a huge improvement over the first one.

Don't do this, you're at huge risk for chargeback because Paypal doesn't protect sellers of electronic goods.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Craptacular! posted:

Well that's stupid because you can only redeem the code with a 1080 in your system.

There are plenty of people with 1080s, though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Don't do this, you're at huge risk for chargeback because Paypal doesn't protect sellers of electronic goods.

I've never had a problem and I've sold maybe a hundred game codes over 10 years... like yeah, they could charge you back, but people are generally decent when you still them discount video games.

Plus when it's that cheap, the credit card companies will almost always credit back the money without actually taking it from the seller.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

I also got a $30 MIR. So I'll take that and destiny

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
What the gently caress, buttcoiners. Pricing for GPU's in Australia (from major computer retailers, PCCG and umart) have gone up significantly. For instance the cheapest 3GB 1060 about a month ago was around $280-300 and it is now $399. What the gently caress man? Also, the cheapest 1070 is $679. Anyone got ideas on when the buttcoining craze will end so I can get in on dem sweet, sweet second hand GPU's?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Guni posted:

What the gently caress, buttcoiners. Pricing for GPU's in Australia (from major computer retailers, PCCG and umart) have gone up significantly. For instance the cheapest 3GB 1060 about a month ago was around $280-300 and it is now $399. What the gently caress man? Also, the cheapest 1070 is $679. Anyone got ideas on when the buttcoining craze will end so I can get in on dem sweet, sweet second hand GPU's?

It's super unpredictable, last time this happened in 2013-2014 it lasted for a few months, it was pretty limited to AMD cards that time though.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

It's super unpredictable, last time this happened in 2013-2014 it lasted for a few months, it was pretty limited to AMD cards that time though.

I remember and from memory, at that time 290's/390's (whichever it was) became super cheap. Hoping the same will happen in a few months from now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

From everything I've read, this poo poo ain't gonna last at all. All new alt coins and even Eth(the current darling of miners) are all about Proof of stake(i.e. Not mining). Eth was supposed to move to PoS this year but well, cryptocurrency 🕺🏻