Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

baka kaba posted:

You have to draw the line at some point, I'm saying it shouldn't be interrupting basic use cases like streaming a TV show or running a large download, unless it's a dire emergency. It's not my job to work out the ideal policy, they just need to make it less user-hostile. If you're trying to do something not even slightly unusual and your computer interrupts it (or becomes outright unusable because of a long update) then that's a Bad Thing, and they should be avoiding that

Yes, if only there was some warning system they could implement that had a schedule you setup that would allow it to reboot automatically during a given time period of your choosing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ratbert90 posted:

Yes, if only there was some warning system they could implement that had a schedule you setup that would allow it to reboot automatically during a given time period of your choosing...

Yes, scheduling a reboot sounds great! I'd love for windows to give me a way to schedule update reboots.

I went manual because the way it works now I had restarts that were effectively unscheduled -- the notifications happened while I was afk or whatever. Inadequate warning, no input required to keep me in the loop. The active hours thing is garbage.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I've several times woken up to a reboot update because the warning-schedule me-reboot cycle all happened while I was sleeping.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You have to wait until there actually is an update to get those options. Not ideal.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

New Insider build, and it actually showed up in wu for me :) I was hoping that the update process might fix some of the weirdness going on in 16215 for me, but wu downloads it then fails with error 0x80240034 before I actually get in the rest of the install outside of my current build. :(

I wish there was just a database with even a single line description of error codes into English. Otherwise, what's the use? What way is there to decode them other than googling and hoping someone else knows?

(if there is a database like that please tell me, because it's never showed up in google.)

Edit: Ah never mind second time worked fine.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 22, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BrainDance posted:

New Insider build, and it actually showed up in wu for me :) I was hoping that the update process might fix some of the weirdness going on in 16215 for me, but wu downloads it then fails with error 0x80240034 before I actually get in the rest of the install outside of my current build. :(

I wish there was just a database with even a single line description of error codes into English. Otherwise, what's the use? What way is there to decode them other than googling and hoping someone else knows?

(if there is a database like that please tell me, because it's never showed up in google.)

Searching on just the error code and nothing else brought me to this page: Windows Update Agent Result Codes
That particular one means "download failed".

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

FYI Microsoft does cert pinning for pulling windows updates and some AV/malware/whatever platforms will locally proxy/MITM TLS sessions which makes WU download break because the agent sees some random cert on the socket and says gently caress No.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Flagrama posted:

I run Twitch steams and YouTube videos on my computer almost literally 24/7. At what point should Windows decide to update?

In about seven days or so when you die from lack of sleep.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Use your Zune to squirt a request to patch and reboot

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

biznatchio posted:

In about seven days or so when you die from lack of sleep.

Okay, my computer runs them 24/7. I sleep while my computer is running them during night time hours. When should my Windows decide to update if it follows baka kaba's suggestion.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Flagrama posted:

Okay, my computer runs them 24/7. I sleep while my computer is running them during night time hours. When should my Windows decide to update if it follows baka kaba's suggestion.

Why can't you just put your computer to sleep when you go to bed? Why does it have to be running so much?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

hooah posted:

Why can't you just put your computer to sleep when you go to bed? Why does it have to be running so much?

Please let the answer be Bitcoin...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think Windows should interrupt your bitcoin mining early and often

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

hooah posted:

My guess is, so that his Twitch channel would videos of his choosing, instead of some random other Twitch streamers.

But the basic fact is that there are multitudes of good reasons for NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers and Microsoft can't just deny them or make enabling it obnoxiously difficult. MS should give a clear option for disabling auto reboots or updates, and as a compromise the user would have to choose an acceptable annoying update nag of some variety.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Saukkis posted:

MS should give a clear option for disabling auto reboots or updates,

Doing that for 20 years is why we have it hard to do now.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

hooah posted:

I think we're confused here. I'm fine with the current system of random reboots while I'm sleeping. I'm just saying that the idea baka kaba brought up would mean my computer would never get updated.

But, I run the videos on my computer just as background noise most of the time and sometimes watch them if something catches my interest. I'd do the same thing with cable TV if I had that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Weird, I'm pretty sure I said you have to draw the line somewhere but 'forced surprise updates an hour after you left the computer doing something important' is probably on the wrong side of that line!

I mean this seemed like a pretty uncontroversial stance but apparently it's an unsolvable problem

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I put my computer on sleepy mode at night, but I also leave VLC open with a video paused for sometimes weeks at a time. Sleep doesn't lose the time place but restarting and updating does and it pees me oh.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
That's really a VLC problem though

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

VLC can remember your spot in a video the next time you open a file. It's in the settings. I use it a lot. That paired with using the recently played videos in File -> Open Recent makes picking up where you left off after a reboot somewhat manageable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hooah posted:

regardless of why he leaves his pc on 24/7 (I do this in the winter), sleep doesn't help at all. the point of sleep is that the state you come back to is the state you left it in. what you're thinking of is 'off'.

baka kaba posted:

Weird, I'm pretty sure I said you have to draw the line somewhere but 'forced surprise updates an hour after you left the computer doing something important' is probably on the wrong side of that line!

I mean this seemed like a pretty uncontroversial stance but apparently it's an unsolvable problem

well if windows 7 was the high point, by windows 14 we'll be back to win95 level stability and reliability. then we won't ever be surprised by sudden reboots or expect the thing to still be working the next day.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Flagrama posted:

Any time you want; you're supposed to be running that poo poo off of a cheap 10 USD/month server via ffmpeg.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Saukkis posted:

MS should give a clear option for disabling auto reboots or updates

No.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

A compromise I would grudgingly accept is if it forced updates the next time you manually restart. So I can play the "how long until my power goes out for a second" game of keeping my computer on but it will happen eventually.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Wait, why only on manual restarts?

Nah, it already exists.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The people who think they know best, and want to disable the updates but can't are exactly the kind of user who is the problem.
Anyone with a basic level of competency is currently running Win10 without issues.

"But I wanna defer this critical update that leaves me exposed to becoming a botnet for weeks, i wanna i wanna!"
No, gently caress off.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Khablam posted:

The people who think they know best, and want to disable the updates but can't are exactly the kind of user who is the problem.
Anyone with a basic level of competency is currently running Win10 without issues.

"But I wanna defer this critical update that leaves me exposed to becoming a botnet for weeks, i wanna i wanna!"
No, gently caress off.

Note to self - create ransomware that presents itself as a program to delay automatic restarts for Windows Update.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

drunken officeparty posted:

I put my computer on sleepy mode at night, but I also leave VLC open with a video paused for sometimes weeks at a time.

Why would you possibly need to do this?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It reads to me like an electronic version of the hoarding mentality. You just can't close that browser tab/program out for weeks at a time because you'll definitely need it someday!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It takes me a long time to watch movies 30 seconds at a time

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

A compromise I would grudgingly accept is if it forced updates the next time you manually restart. So I can play the "how long until my power goes out for a second" game of keeping my computer on but it will happen eventually.

Also no. How about you keep your poo poo saved, and let it restart if it needs to so you don't lose your data?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Khablam posted:

No, gently caress off.
lol
times i've been pwned by a botnet and lost work: 0
times i've been pwned by win10 updates and lost work: 2

gently caress off yourself

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Flagrama posted:

I think we're confused here. I'm fine with the current system of random reboots while I'm sleeping. I'm just saying that the idea baka kaba brought up would mean my computer would never get updated.

But, I run the videos on my computer just as background noise most of the time and sometimes watch them if something catches my interest. I'd do the same thing with cable TV if I had that.

Hahahaha I can't believe this general use computer configured to execute arbitrary code has to reboot occasionally unlike a television!!

It already does this. When updates are pending the shutdown options change to Install Updates and Shutdown or Install Updates and Reboot. Microsoft is giving users multiple ways to doing this at their convenience and these people are ignoring them and then still complaining.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Klyith posted:

lol
times i've been pwned by win10 updates and lost work: 2

gently caress off yourself

Yeah okay Neo, I'm sure you're inspecting the code that is executing on your system for compromise.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah okay Neo, I'm sure you're inspecting the code that is executing on your system for compromise.

did I claim to be?

you should try it, I'm actually pretty satisfied with how they handled being set to non-automatic. they get really persistent with the nags. if automatic mode did the same thing with the reboot -- ie never rebooting without the user's active agreement, but nagging the gently caress out of you if you ignore it -- I predict there would be no complaints and very few people would leave their computers unrebooted for weeks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Klyith posted:

did I claim to be?

you should try it, I'm actually pretty satisfied with how they handled being set to non-automatic. they get really persistent with the nags. if automatic mode did the same thing with the reboot -- ie never rebooting without the user's active agreement, but nagging the gently caress out of you if you ignore it -- I predict there would be no complaints and very few people would leave their computers unrebooted for weeks.

Nah, if you let people not do the update as long as they want, a bunch of them will simply never update. Citation: Literally The Last 20 Years Of Windows Updates Existing

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have a few coworkers that are still running Yosemite and the last version of iOS on their phones. It's not just Windows users who don't update.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Hahahaha I can't believe this general use computer configured to execute arbitrary code has to reboot occasionally unlike a television!!

I can. I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

[quote="Klyith" post=""473689851"]
[/quote]
That's not how botnets work.