Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If I hadn't promoted my Sharena and Anna, all of my 5*s would be reds and bow users

Sharena has been very useful so far; Anna hasn't been a 5* for very long though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Threw like 60 orbs at the Katarina banner to try and get a good red (Stahl was my current red)

Didn't get any focus unit, did get:
-5 star Priscilla
-+atk -spd 4 star Lukas
-2x odin, Henry, a Batre and Florina at 4 stars
-+Def -spd Adult Tiki
-+Atk -HP Tharja

So...good enough I guess.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Threw like 60 orbs at the Katarina banner to try and get a good red (Stahl was my current red)

Didn't get any focus unit, did get:
-5 star Priscilla
-+atk -spd 4 star Lukas
-2x odin, Henry, a Batre and Florina at 4 stars
-+Def -spd Adult Tiki
-+Atk -HP Tharja

So...good enough I guess.

Olivia was right there if you needed a red unit

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Is Flier Emblem a hard team to put together? I have some good fliers, but I don't feel like they would work well as a team.

Like, Horse Emblem has forever changed with the addition of Reinhardt over Abel, and I'm wondering if there's an equivalent game changer in the fliers

My fliers are:

5* +atk -spd Cherche
5* +atk -def Cordelia
5* +spd -hp Catria
4* +atk -def Palla
4* +spd -atk Camilla
4* Shanna
4* Clair
4* Est
4* Baruka
4* Michaelis
3* Narcian

I dunno, it just seems like Flier teams have a lot of disadvantages. (No duh)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FartingBedpost posted:

Is Flier Emblem a hard team to put together? I have some good fliers, but I don't feel like they would work well as a team.

Like, Horse Emblem has forever changed with the addition of Reinhardt over Abel, and I'm wondering if there's an equivalent game changer in the fliers

My fliers are:

5* +atk -spd Cherche
5* +atk -def Cordelia
5* +spd -hp Catria
4* +atk -def Palla
4* +spd -atk Camilla
4* Shanna
4* Clair
4* Est
4* Baruka
4* Michaelis
3* Narcian

A good flier emblem team needs Hinoka (for Hone fliers) and spring Camilla. It's really not worth doing otherwise (except for clearing some quests).

Flier Emblem really suffers from lack of options, needing a limited spring unit and not having a good red unit at all.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Andrast posted:

A good flier emblem team needs Hinoka (for Hone fliers) and spring Camilla. It's really not worth doing otherwise (except for clearing some quests).

And so I continue my quest for Hinoka.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

FartingBedpost posted:

My fliers are:

5* +atk -spd Cherche
5* +atk -def Cordelia
5* +spd -hp Catria
4* +atk -def Palla
4* +spd -atk Camilla
4* Shanna
4* Clair
4* Est
4* Baruka
4* Michaelis
3* Narcian

The only game-changer as far as Flier Emblem goes is Spring Camilla, being the only ranged flier. Sadly she won't be available again until next spring, if ever.

That said, you have a fine foundation to make a flier team. Your Cherche has nearly the ideal nature (-res is better). Give her a Brave Axe and she'll kill just about everything in sight. Cordelia is really good and yours is, again, either the ideal nature or nearly so. Catria and Palla also have nearly ideal natures. Your Camilla is trash. Shanna is decent depending on nature (you want either +atk or spd), and Michalis is all around decent (if you give him Quick Riposte he behaves like a green Subaki. He also has Iote's Shield, which tankier fliers will want, like aforementioned Subaki).

I'd make a team of Cherche, Palla, Cordelia, and additional flier of your choice. You definitely want Palla because she gets Goad Fliers, the key skill for Flier teams. If you wind up drawing a Caeda, you can give her buff to someone, and if you get more Pallas, pass the Goad Flier love around. You'll also want Draw Back, Reposition, and/or Drag Back on your fliers. Oh, and feed that Clair to someone. Hit and Run is great for fliers! Flier Emblem lives and dies by its positioning skills, keeping their allies in range of buffs and maneuvering over difficult terrain to snipe kills.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 22, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Andrast posted:

Olivia was right there if you needed a red unit

Not for another 4 days or so.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Silver Falcon posted:

The only game-changer as far as Flier Emblem goes is Spring Camilla, being the only ranged flier. Sadly she won't be available again until next spring, if ever.

That said, you have a fine foundation to make a flier team. Your Cherche has nearly the ideal nature (-res is better). Give her a Brave Axe and she'll kill just about everything in sight. Cordelia is really good and yours is, again, either the ideal nature or nearly so. Catria and Palla also have nearly ideal natures. Your Camilla is trash. Shanna is decent depending on nature (you want either +atk or spd), and Michalis is all around decent (if you give him Quick Riposte he behaves like a green Subaki. He also has Iote's Shield, which tankier fliers will want, like aforementioned Subaki).

I'd make a team of Cherche, Palla, Cordelia, and additional flier of your choice. You definitely want Palla because she gets Goad Fliers, the key skill for Flier teams. If you wind up drawing a Caeda, you can give her buff to someone, and if you get more Pallas, pass the Goad Flier love around. You'll also want Draw Back, Reposition, and/or Drag Back on your fliers. Oh, and feed that Clair to someone. Hit and Run is great for fliers! Flier Emblem lives and dies by its positioning skills, keeping their allies in range of buffs and maneuvering over difficult terrain to snipe kills.

Yeah, I built Cordelia and Cherche to be good individually (and I've been lucky with my flier ivs, unlike my literal army of -atk sword lords), but even with Catria, the team didn't seem to work. I hadn't thought about repositioning moves or adding Palla, so that's probably the main reason why. Thanks, I'll give those a try!

Fake edit: I just realized; are there any ramged flying units in any fire emblem game? I was thinking of Valkyrie Maribelle in my Awakening game, but I don't remember if she had spells or just healed.

L'Arachel just came to mind too.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 22, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kinshi Knight is a flying archer.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Reina from fates is an archer flyer. Aversa from Awakening is an mage flyer. I can't think of anyone else.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Reina from fates is an archer flyer. Aversa from Awakening is an mage flyer. I can't think of anyone else.

Camilla (so Malig Knights) can use tomes in fates

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Technically any flier with a 2- range weapon is a ranged flier.

But Dark Fliers use spells as their main weapon.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

FartingBedpost posted:

Yeah, I built Cordelia and Cherche to be good individually (and I've been lucky with my flier ivs, unlike my literal army of -atk sword lords), but even with Catria, the team didn't seem to work. I hadn't thought about repositioning moves or adding Palla, so that's probably the main reason why. Thanks, I'll give those a try!

Fake edit: I just realized; are there any ramged flying units in any fire emblem game? I was thinking of Valkyrie Maribelle in my Awakening game, but I don't remember if she had spells or just healed.

There's a possibility of Aversa GHB which would be awesome for flier emblem teams. Anyone who could become a dark flier in awakening had access to the best skill (galeforce) and ranged while flying. In addition in 7/8 I loved used javelin/hand axe wyverns.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

At this point I just want a good red flier and another flying tome user (probably Aversa). A flying healer for future tempests would be great too.

Camus, Ursula and Xander are really good so it's a shame that the flying GHB units so far are Narcian and Michalis.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 22, 2017

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Michalis seems really good at first skim though? Not quite Xander I guess.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Andrast posted:

At this point I just want a good red flier and another flying tome user (probably Aversa). A flying healer for future tempests would be great too.

Camus, Ursula and Xander are really good so it's a shame that the flying GHB units so far are Narcian and Michalis.

Michalis isn't bad. I gave him a brave axe for fun and he chops folks up good.

e: bad for a flyer, I should say.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 22, 2017

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Holy moly I forgot about Aversa.

Haven't played Fates yet, but other than Aversa, does anyone start as a ranged flier? Because it's doubtful we'll get "flying healer" versions of Maribelle, L'Arachel, Clarine, and Priscilla.

Just had an idea for a special summon series.

Edit: Galeforce was such a ridiculous thing in Awakening.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jokes posted:

Michalis isn't bad. I gave him a brave axe for fun and he chops folks up good.

He's usable but nothing special. Compare him to Xander or Camus for example.

Cherche is a better brave axe user in flier emblem teams anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FartingBedpost posted:

Haven't played Fates yet, but other than Aversa, does anyone start as a ranged flier? Because it's doubtful we'll get "flying healer" versions of Maribelle, L'Arachel, Clarine, and Priscilla.

Reina starts as a Kinshi Knight.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FartingBedpost posted:

Well, these special banners can have non-standard units. Like, uh, spoon Charlotte or bunny Lucina. So there's some hope for flying healers.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Ashnard GHB is what we need. He'd have his own Distant Counter sword and he's a million times cooler than Aversa. He's also not a mage, but you can't have everything.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Andrast posted:

He's usable but nothing special. Compare him to Xander or Camus for example.

Cherche is a better brave axe user in flier emblem teams anyway.

Yeah it's pretty sad but honestly they're all poo poo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jokes posted:

Yeah it's pretty sad but honestly they're all poo poo.

Camus, Xander and Cherche are all good though?

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Andrast posted:

Well, these special banners can have non-standard units. Like, uh, spoon Charlotte or bunny Lucina. So there's some hope for flying healers.

Watch them announce a flying healer banner with Camilla, Hinoka, Caeda and ... Subaki.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Andrast posted:

Falco Knights have staff access in 4, 5, 13, and 14. So it's not completely out of the question. And the herons in 9 could allow flying dancers.

Non Lance fliers are an oddity that only last for a game or two. In general though, so the roster for ranged/support options is pretty bare

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Andrast posted:

Camus, Xander and Cherche are all good though?

Camus and Xander are really, really good. I'd put Cherche in a "serviceable" category if you're willing to stuff her with Brave Axe, maybe deathblow or fury, but at that point you should just be giving it all to a Titania or really any horse-axe who can use horse buffs. I hope one day we'll get a axe horse much like Xander and Camus from a GHB.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jokes posted:

Camus and Xander are really, really good. I'd put Cherche in a "serviceable" category if you're willing to stuff her with Brave Axe, maybe deathblow or fury, but at that point you should just be giving it all to a Titania or really any horse-axe who can use horse buffs.

Cherche has a really loving high base ATK (one of the highest in the game) making her a perfect brave carrier.

Discounting horse buffs, Cherche is a lot better than Titania or any horse axe at murdering things.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 22, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Andrast posted:

Cherche has a really loving high base ATK (one of the highest in the game) making her a perfect brave carrier.

Discounting horse buffs, Cherche is a lot better than Titania or any horse axe at murdering things.

Why discount horse buffs? That's like the main reason to bring horses, that and there are viable options for all other colors (even colorless if you bring healers) so you can run a full horse team.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Andrast posted:

Brave Cherche w/ Flier buffs can ORKO Hector

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jokes posted:

Why discount horse buffs? That's like the main reason to bring horses, that and there are viable options for all other colors (even colorless if you bring healers) so you can run a full horse team.

What about flier buffs then? Flier emblem is worse than Horse emblem but it's still pretty good. I mean, if we are doing optimal team comps you aren't running full horse emblem anyway since a dancer is mandatory. Horses also have low BST if you care about arena.

Cherche is still the best brave axe user in the game and works well without flier buffs and even better with them.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Tae posted:

Technically any flier with a 2- range weapon is a ranged flier.

But Dark Fliers use spells as their main weapon.

I will laugh my rear end off and whale if Haar comes out with a throwing axe equipped. Ditto for Nephenee and javelins. Break the meta into tiny bits, do iiiiit :kheldragar:

Andrast posted:

Elincia's the only flying healer I can think of, though I've only played Radiant Dawn, so there's probably more. She's also a red, so that'd be cool too.

Michalis is good, he's a green Subaki that trades speed for attack and has fewer weaknesses. Give him Quick Riposte and Bonfire/Ignis and he's golden.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cherche is very good in a generic team of four good units. And flier mobility is really good when you factor in stuff like Reposition. Gets Horse Emblem across some stuff.

Murderion posted:

I will laugh my rear end off and whale if Haar comes out with a throwing axe equipped. Ditto for Nephenee and javelins. Break the meta into tiny bits, do iiiiit :kheldragar:

Elincia's the only flying healer I can think of, though I've only played Radiant Dawn, so there's probably more. She's also a red, so that'd be cool too.

Michalis is good, he's a green Subaki that trades speed for attack and has fewer weaknesses. Give him Quick Riposte and Bonfire/Ignis and he's golden.

falcon knights straight up can use healing staves in Awakening and Fates.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Michaelis reminded me of my favorite unit that I don't get to use much, Minerva. My Minerva is +SPD and therefore has 41 speed with her native LaD 3, could Quaderva be worth messing around with?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just fought a team that also had 3 separate respositioning assists like my defensive team. Yakety Sax would have been appropriate, and now I know why I haven't won any defenses this week.

How many repo assists should I use on a defense team? None? Maybe all 4?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

FartingBedpost posted:

Valkyries are horse units, not fliers.

For flying staff users, there's also Elincia, but if she were in the game she'd more likely be a red flier with a unique sword. Her signature sword in her games had a brave effect.

I'd be more excited for aforementioned herons for flying dancers.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Valkyries are horse units, not fliers.

For flying staff users, there's also Elincia, but if she were in the game she'd more likely be a red flier with a unique sword. Her signature sword in her games had a brave effect.

I'd be more excited for aforementioned herons for flying dancers.

I'm definitely down for a red flier with a brave prf weapon.

We are so not getting a flying dancer.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Elyv posted:

Michaelis reminded me of my favorite unit that I don't get to use much, Minerva. My Minerva is +SPD and therefore has 41 speed with her native LaD 3, could Quaderva be worth messing around with?

She's just not strong or fast enough (after Brave Axe). Aside from a lot of reds, she still loses to things like Spring Chrom or even neutral Minerva, assuming she's in Desperation range. That changes if you have Flier buffs, but nearly any unit is a monster under them.

GBS Ambassador
Oct 31, 2013
nvm

GBS Ambassador fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Andrast posted:

I'm definitely down for a red flier with a brave prf weapon.

We are so not getting a flying dancer.

Doesn't stop me from wanting one! A gal can dream. :colbert:

Elyv posted:

Seems like a waste of her signature weapon. Why not just run Hauteclair and a hard-hitting special of your choice?