Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
New Dev Diary. Mostly talking about education tweaks. We're also getting a beta patch apparently to fix a few issues like secret cults running rampant and infinite epidemics. And finally the picture has a tab hanging off the minimap with an Asian style dragon head on it, whatever that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
And it looks like they're tweaking the M&M changes, which sounds great to me. It feels like everyone but me is in a secret cult right now...

I really hope they work on education more; I liked Rebels and Warmonger's concept of upgrading and changing education focuses with time. I think it would even make sense for children to get low education skills before adulthood. It seems like that's what they were going for in enclave, but it just feels like the whole thing falls short.

For some reason, all of the bastard children have ended up automatically assigned to me. There'll be some single courtier with a bastard, and without prompt I'll automatically become the guardian. The "Teacher" court position sounds great, because it would be nice to dump this job off to somebody less important.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Teacher sounds awesome, especially if I can make my Court Guru the teacher as well. He always has good stats and traits, so might as well make him teach everyone.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
I miss the education events. For some reason in the current run half my kids and relatives end up being cruel, no matter what the focus. I always teach them myself, but it doesn't seem to matter if I have the trait or not, I have gotten the option to teach them cruel a grand total of one time (while I had it too) but the rest just pick it sometime down the line and I can't do anything about that. I think some events fire way too often for the heirs, because I had another run where half the court born-and-raised kids were gay, which they get as a possible choice from a teenage event.

As an aside: secret societies for pagans do really suck. Play as a christian, join a monastic order, end up being a seven-virtues guy in less than twenty years. Got stuck playing as a pagan with cruel, craven AND gluttonous as your only traits? Good luck getting rid of the opinion malus with just random events. You can join the satanists though, if you want to get even more negative traits :v:

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
Haven't played in ages, does the converter to EU4 still work or have all the DLCs and changes made it too complicated to convert.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i successfully converted a thing just before third rome hit, so i can tell you that they still try to keep it up to date. not sure how timely they are with that, though. third rome added some provinces to russia, so an update to the converter is deffo necessary (though probably not a massive one). did they already do this? will it be done shortly? :iiam:

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Finally some changes to education, I even think I proposed the teacher title a year back ago or something, so that's nice.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I was starting a new game recently, and as I was going through the rules to make sure everything was how I liked it, it occured to me that a few of these feel like they should be in-game laws, instead. Interfaith marriages and dueling, for example, seem like things that would be legal in certain places depending on the era, but would likely fall out of fashion later.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Stellaris, the way you select government policies being one of them, but I did like being able to do things like setting population rights or the legality of certain practices. It seems unusual that I actually have to be insane to do something like create domestic policy (pants illegal, etc).

fake edit: I guess this means I have a list of expansion requests now, cuz this is a paradox game:
1) Intrigue expansion :10bux::10bux:
2) Legalism expansion :10bux::10bux:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I was starting a new game recently, and as I was going through the rules to make sure everything was how I liked it, it occured to me that a few of these feel like they should be in-game laws, instead. Interfaith marriages and dueling, for example, seem like things that would be legal in certain places depending on the era, but would likely fall out of fashion later.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Stellaris, the way you select government policies being one of them, but I did like being able to do things like setting population rights or the legality of certain practices. It seems unusual that I actually have to be insane to do something like create domestic policy (pants illegal, etc).

fake edit: I guess this means I have a list of expansion requests now, cuz this is a paradox game:
1) Intrigue expansion :10bux::10bux:
2) Legalism expansion :10bux::10bux:

I'd like those too

I might be in the minority here, and I haven't played until recently, like missed everything between Old Gods and Conclave, but the post-Republic expansions have kinda disappointed me. I wanted more fun and depth to the base medieval strat rpg feudal business. Instead we've mostly gotten more and more crazy poo poo. You can reform the roman empire but it's viking and jewish, you can steamroll everyone as dark age steppe nomads, you can infest Europe with immortal satanist kings, etc etc and the game's timespan has doubled, but the base game isn't all that different from CK1. Playing a standard catholic or orthodox or muslim lord is kinda bland. There's no mechanics in place in the new starts to make anything interesting happen so you have carolingians forever and pagans forever and enormous caliphates forever. I was hoping the post Old Gods stuff would go more tall and less wide. I liked the norse being a factor but I wanted althistory Normans popping up and merging cultures, not forever norse raiding places in 1300 ad while the orthodox-but-secretly-satanist carolingian king of Africa makes his fourth bid for the crown of Sweden, while his ertswhile ally the zoroastrian duke of Leinster revolts against the zunist kleptocracy.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 21, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'd like those too

I might be in the minority here, and I haven't played until recently, like missed everything between Old Gods and Conclave, but the post-Republic expansions have kinda disappointed me. I wanted more fun and depth to the base medieval strat rpg feudal business. Instead we've mostly gotten more and more crazy poo poo. You can reform the roman empire but it's viking and jewish, you can steamroll everyone as dark age steppe nomads, you can infest Europe with immortal satanist kings, etc etc and the game's timespan has doubled, but the base game isn't all that different from CK1. Playing a standard catholic or orthodox or muslim lord is kinda bland. There's no mechanics in place in the new starts to make anything interesting happen so you have carolingians forever and pagans forever and enormous caliphates forever. I was hoping the post Old Gods stuff would go more tall and less wide. I liked the norse being a factor but I wanted althistory Normans popping up and merging cultures, not forever norse raiding places in 1300 ad while the orthodox-but-secretly-satanist carolingian king of Africa makes his fourth bid for the crown of Sweden, while his ertswhile ally the zoroastrian duke of Leinster revolts against the zunist kleptocracy.

Secret cults are out of control, and the devs are addressing that in the next patch. Apart from that, you can disable supernatural events if you don't like them.

And the game is deeper. Conclave overhauls the legal system in a very nice way. It's a huge step up from just no/low/medium/high/absolute crown authority. Choosing between a powerful but incompetent duke and a skilled but unimportant mayor as your councilor is something you rarely had to do under the old system. The prosperity mechanic makes managing provinces a bit more involved as well. Using favors to force your liege to change the realm laws in your favor is something that was not really possible pre-Conclave, except in a roundabout (and limited) way through factions.

I think the game holds a lot more even for Christian and Muslim rulers. I've never played CK1, but the game is much improved since the vanilla/Sword of Islam state.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Torrannor posted:

Secret cults are out of control, and the devs are addressing that in the next patch. Apart from that, you can disable supernatural events if you don't like them.

And the game is deeper. Conclave overhauls the legal system in a very nice way. It's a huge step up from just no/low/medium/high/absolute crown authority. Choosing between a powerful but incompetent duke and a skilled but unimportant mayor as your councilor is something you rarely had to do under the old system. The prosperity mechanic makes managing provinces a bit more involved as well. Using favors to force your liege to change the realm laws in your favor is something that was not really possible pre-Conclave, except in a roundabout (and limited) way through factions.

I think the game holds a lot more even for Christian and Muslim rulers. I've never played CK1, but the game is much improved since the vanilla/Sword of Islam state.

Conclave adds screens and numbers but in practice no, it doesn't feel radically different from how things used to be. The choice you mention is rarely a meaningful deal unless you're fabricating a claim or trying to murder someone, because counselors are still bland and have little to do, and it's stupid easy to just juggle them anyway.

Hell, in my current game I keep winning wars despite shoving in marshals from the same ruling line of the same big duchy over and over again, and they all have 3-6 martial. Crappy counselors almost never matter.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 21, 2017

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Except you really really want your steward and spymaster to be as awesome as possible, and the latter should also be ultra loyal to you

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Rebels and Warmongers question: is there a way to disable the realm shattering mechanic after civil wars? The AI sucks at managing rebellions so all of my neighbors eventually collapse into tiny bordergore pukestains who can't put up a fight against me anymore.

Also, I finally figured out how to make custom ethnicities, which I'm unreasonably proud of, so I don't mind mucking around in the files a bit.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Anyone having much like with the CK2Generator tool from a few pages back? I can't get it to progress past pre-history.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Conclave adds screens and numbers but in practice no, it doesn't feel radically different from how things used to be. The choice you mention is rarely a meaningful deal unless you're fabricating a claim or trying to murder someone, because counselors are still bland and have little to do, and it's stupid easy to just juggle them anyway.

Hell, in my current game I keep winning wars despite shoving in marshals from the same ruling line of the same big duchy over and over again, and they all have 3-6 martial. Crappy counselors almost never matter.
I don't disagree with any of what you're saying, but the easier solution than hoping it turns into a firmer map game is to cross your eyes to see the magic eye again because the spreadsheet game underneath is a messy magic eye blur if you focus on the details.

To that end, Way of Life, Conclave, Reaper's Due, and Monks and Mystics provide a lot of fluff that looks like it just musses the spreadsheet up but its really just adding to the magic eye underneath if you can set aside the optimize everything part of your brain.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I'm having some technical issues with the game. When I have AA on (or multisampling or whatever the game calls it), the text and UI sometimes briefly go in and out of "focus", it feels like the AA is turning itself on and off rapidly. This often happens when I move the mouse over something or scroll the map, and it will sometimes "pulse" like that if I bring up the console window. This happens in EUIV too, so I'm guessing it's a Clausewitz thing. I can fix this by turning multisampling off, which I do for EUIV, but in CK2 this makes the text almost unreadable. Has anyone experienced this and know how to fix it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
With the steam sale I'm thinking of getting some of the dlc. which are the best/important expansions? should i just get all the expansions?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Must gets:

Way of life - adds things to do in downtime, personal events that shape your character.

Reapers due - improves disease system and makes the Black Death not a joke. Real good stuff.

Relevant if you want to play as other cultures/religions:

Sword of Islam - opens up Islamic characters

Old gods - pagans, 867 start date, and is probably the best of these since Vikings kick rear end.

Raja of India - allows Hindu, Buddhist, and jainists (this ones kinda eh)

Legacy of Rome - adds a bunch of stuff for byzantines. I'm pretty sure retinues are base game so it's no longer a must have.

The republic - required for merchant republics

Horse lords - nomadic tribes

Sons of Abraham - Required for Jews but adds flavor for all abrahamic religions.

Outside of those:

Conclave - makes the realm politics much more deep and interesting but can make it harder for new people. May want to play around before you buy this one.

Charlemagne - adds the 769 start date and let's you play as Charlemagne, but uh is the only dlc I don't own so :shrug:

Monks and Mystics: the latest one that adds secret cults like satanism, buying it soon so I can't give any thoughts on it.

Sunset invasion - adds an alt history scenario that allows the Aztecs to invade in the west like the mongols in the east. Pretty funny, especially because the mere existence of the dlc causes massive meltdowns.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 23, 2017

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Ha ha, I've had the sunset invasion turned off almost since I bought it. After dealing with a couple aztec invasions loving up Iceland or getting stuck in Britain, I got tired of it. Maybe I'll turn it on again some time, but not in the near future.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

If I decide to have Sunset Invasion on for a campaign I usually go into the files and remove Iceland, Cornwall, and Ireland from possible invasion sites. It's a lot more fun when they land in Europe or Africa and all of Christendom/Islam-dom are forced to team up and start World War I 700 years ahead of schedule. :black101:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

If I decide to have Sunset Invasion on for a campaign I usually go into the files and remove Iceland, Cornwall, and Ireland from possible invasion sites. It's a lot more fun when they land in Europe or Africa and all of Christendom/Islam-dom are forced to team up and start World War I 700 years ahead of schedule. :black101:

I just use a custom decision that I created that does something similar. I force the first wave to spawn in one of Constantinople, Rouen, or Genoa. After they've grabbed some land, I use the other decision to make the second wave land in one of Alexandria, Acre, or Mecca. That gets them a nice solid beachhead and lets them interact with a lot more of the map.

code:
	spawn_aztecs = {
#		is_high_prio = yes
		potential = {
			ai = no
			not = { has_global_flag = aztec_explorers }
		}
		allow = {
			ai = no
		}
		effect = {
			set_global_flag = demon_child_to_aztecs
			activate_title = { title = e_mexikha status = yes }
			create_character = {
				random_traits = no
				dynasty = 1035000 # Acatl
				culture = nahuatl
				religion = aztec
				attributes = {
					martial = 12
					diplomacy = 8
					stewardship = 9
					intrigue = 9
					learning = 6
				}
				health = 10
				fertility = 0.8
				trait = brilliant_strategist
				trait = diligent
				trait = ambitious
				trait = proud
				trait = quick
				trait = adventurer
#				trait = immortal
			}
			new_character = {
				wealth = 25000
				piety = 2500
				prestige = 2500
				military_techpoints = 500
				economy_techpoints = 500
				culture_techpoints = 500
				set_character_flag = demon_child_non_pagan
				join_society = the_satanists
				add_society_currency_massive_effect = yes
				set_society_grandmaster = yes
				add_character_modifier = {
					name = voice_of_satan
					duration = -1
				}
				e_mexikha = {
					set_title_landless = { title = this status = yes }
					set_title_flag = temporary_landless_title
					grant_title = prev
				}
				set_defacto_liege = this
				set_government_type = feudal_government
				set_character_flag = horde_invader
				e_mexikha = {
					add_law = cognatic_succession
					add_law = ze_administration_laws_1
					add_law = status_of_women_2
					add_law = revoke_title_law_2
					add_law = out_of_realm_inheritance_law_1
					set_allows_matrilineal_marriage = yes
				}
			}
			set_global_flag = aztec_explorers
			set_global_flag = aztec_arrival
			random_list = {
				10 = {	## Constantinople
					496 = {
						province_event = { id = SoA.3081 }
						sea_zone = {
							e_mexikha = {
								spawn_unit = {
									province = prev
									earmark = aztec_invasion_fleet
									troops = {
										galleys = { 1000 1000 }
									}
								}
							}
						}
					}
				}
				10 = {	## Rouen
					97 = {
						sea_zone = {
							e_mexikha = {
								spawn_unit = {
									province = prev
									troops = {
										galleys = { 1000 1000 }
									}
								}
							}
						}
					}
				}
				10 = {	## Genoa
					233 = {
						sea_zone = {
							e_mexikha = {
								spawn_unit = {
									province = prev
									troops = {
										galleys = { 1000 1000 }
									}
								}
							}
						}
					}
				}
			}
		}
	}
	aztec_second_wave = {
		potential = {
			ai = no
			not = { has_global_flag = aztec_arrival_2 }
		}
		allow = {
			ai = no
		}
		effect = {
			set_global_flag = aztec_arrival_2
			random_list = {
				10 = {	## Alexandria
					802 = {
						set_province_flag = aztec_second_wave
						e_mexikha = {
							holder_scope = {
								spawn_unit = {
									province = prev
									troops = {
										galleys = { 1000 1000 }
									}
								}
								narrative_event = { id = SSI.6 }
							}
						}
					}
				}
				10 = {	## Acre
					772 = {
						e_mexikha = {
							holder_scope = {
								spawn_unit = {
									province = prev
									troops = {
										galleys = { 1000 1000 }
									}
								}
							}
						}
					}
				}
				10 = {	## Mecca
					719 = {
						e_mexikha = {
							holder_scope = {
								spawn_unit = {
									province = prev
									troops = {
										galleys = { 1000 1000 }
									}
								}
							}
						}
					}
				}
			}
		}
	}

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

spectralent posted:

Anyone having much like with the CK2Generator tool from a few pages back? I can't get it to progress past pre-history.

I've heard it doesn't work with the newest version of the game, but I haven't tried myself.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I've been playing an ironman game with Rebels and Warmongers on, and the new additions are so much more fun than in vanilla. I'm seriously considering trying CK2+. Do I need any DLC for it to work? Do people still consider it to be the gold standard of content additions/changes? I'm mostly hoping for a more meaningful set of prompt-based interactions, but the rebel system and otherwise are also really cool looking.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

Oh hey my Exarch of Bulgaria died, time to review the candidates so I have a good vassal. How about the son of the previous guy?

Wait captain Glitterhoof?

Captain Glitterhoof "one-eye" of the Mercenary company that overthrew Hungary for not paying their bills.

I don't think I can keep going, can't build on perfection.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Azzanadra posted:

Wait captain Glitterhoof?

Captain Glitterhoof "one-eye" of the Mercenary company that overthrew Hungary for not paying their bills.

I don't think I can keep going, can't build on perfection.

He's French and an Orthodox heretic of some kind.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

It's Catholic, I unified the church so far.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

really queer Christmas posted:

Legacy of Rome - adds a bunch of stuff for byzantines. I'm pretty sure retinues are base game so it's no longer a must have.
Actually, retinues do require that DLC, after some quick testing.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Love how the game just shoehorned the helmet and the bandage onto Glitterhoof's portrait. I wonder how that came to be. Though, shouldn't he be "horse" culture? I haven't gotten him much, but I think he always is.

Current ruler (a Chiemgaudson - it was hard to get the ball rolling but once I did it has been really fun finding the balance between the "I need to secure ANY heirs I can get" and "I need to expand" game modes) got stressed from an event at 14. Still stressed in his forties. Got the "chess with death" event, and won, and lost stressed just after that. Only to pick up depressed one year down the line. You just beat the drat Grim Reaper, man, try being a bit positive :v:

Also, the previous ruler ascended to the throne at 1 years old, and when he came of age he had managed to only pick the education trait and Cynical. No virtues, no vices, no nothing. The most boring guy on the face of Earth :v:.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think certain holy orders and mercenary companies have their leaders always be a specific culture. Teutonic Knights are German, Irish Band are Irish, etc. I could imagine that the leader of the Swiss Band must either be Italian, German or French.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
It's been years since I played CK II and I'd like to get back into it but it's all a bit overwhelming. Is there a good tutorial for the basics of the game, or a province that's a good start for newer players to learn the ropes?

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

GamingHyena posted:

It's been years since I played CK II and I'd like to get back into it but it's all a bit overwhelming. Is there a good tutorial for the basics of the game, or a province that's a good start for newer players to learn the ropes?

Go hard and play the Fatimids in 1066. You're big enough to survive some setbacks and if you do well you get to fight off a crusade when things start to get boring, and if you don't the Seljuks will end up getting the crusader stick. Being the Caliph is very fun.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
"Doctor, I'm feeling bad, what have I got?"

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

(The plague is nowhere on the map and I'm running at as delayed dynamic)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

GamingHyena posted:

The 769 Mercia start isn't bad, imo. It's not too big to manage and somewhat isolated, so aside from playing whack-a-mole with Vikings for a while you can pretty much do your own thing. You start out feudal, which should make conquering tribal Ireland and Scotland a snap, and you can probably form Britannia somewhat quickly if you play your cards right.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GamingHyena posted:

I would use the 1066 start. Anything earlier makes you suffer viking raids, which is distinctively unfun if you are just trying to get back into the game.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Unless, the viking raids are you

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Deceitful Penguin posted:

"Doctor, I'm feeling bad, what have I got?"

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

(The plague is nowhere on the map and I'm running at as delayed dynamic)

That happened to me too. A random English courtier died from the plague decades before it actually appeared on the map, all the way down in India. Good thing those cases don't seem to be contagious.

Your court physician sometimes misdiagnoses and also tells you "Your symptoms point to the plague" which is rather odd when you are a IX century viking in the middle of Scandinavia. I like to imagine the guy just nodding at everything and going "man those bookish guys sure are weird" at the local tavern.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 25, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I once gave a rival the plague years before it actually appeared on the map, through the power of Satan. Someone might've given you the tainted touch.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

That actually makes sense. I think Deceitful Penguin's plague dude is also a random courtier somewhere, not him.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
No yeah, I was looking for berbers to educate my kid and commanders and that guy popped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

GamingHyena posted:

This LP is pretty informative, but a fair amount may have changed since then.

• Locked thread