Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CPColin posted:

Data trying to blast Kivas Fajo and then lying to Riker about it when he gets beamed away at the last second is one of the most badass things he ever did.

And then he shows up at Fajo's cell once he's arrested and Fajo is all "So you came down here to feel all smug, eh?" and Data's like "No, I do not feel anything, I am an android."

But why did Data go down to the brig to look at him, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

skasion posted:

I seriously, seriously doubt that the protagonist is going to go a whole season without having been in command. To tell the truth I'd be a little surprised if she's not in command by the end of the premiere. It would be a daring choice to make a Star Trek show about someone who isn't a captain, but I have no idea why any network would sign off on it.

It wouldn't be daring. It would be like most of the other Star Trek shows, because TOS was the only one that was really "The Captain Show, featuring some sidekicks".

TNG, DS9, and Voyager were all pretty much soap operas set in space. Tons of episodes only featured the captain in the opening narration, and to pop in to give advice to what ever character was driving the plot.

TNG especially, since they set a standard that the first officer does away missions. Tons of shows about how Data, Odo, the EMH Doctor, or 7 of 9 deal with humanity. Cultural exploration with Worf or Kira. Or all the times when the captain sat in the background and deferred to the Engineer or the Doctor, because the plot centered around a mechanical or medical problem. Even Barclay and Wesley had whole shows about them.

A first officer show would get stale fast compared to the variety they get out of an ensemble cast.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The West Wing and BSG are born great examples of shows where the CO has huge gravitas but the actual work is done by the XO and other subordinates.

Actually, come to think of it TNG has many episodes where Picard only appears in a role as a CO. Then again, "Descent" and "Chain of Command."

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Shenzhou's transporter bay:

Really emphasizing the "ripping your atoms into shreds" aspect here

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There's some very 60s patterning in the middle there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

There's some very 60s patterning in the middle there.

It looks like some of the shingles are crooked.

What the gently caress is this thing?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Bloop posted:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Maybe they're supposed to be energy-absorbing baffles. You wouldn't want any stray E-M bouncing around the room during transport, especially in the early days before [technobabble] was invented.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I really dig the design direction they've taken. Very retro.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Zurui posted:

I hate literally everything about it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Proper TOS looking phaser hilt there.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

shadok posted:

I hate literally everything about it.

Star Trek: I hate literally everything about it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Proper TOS looking phaser hilt there.

Agreed, but what is with literally everything else?

ENT> WTF >TOS is an odd progression

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So I saw Beyond the other night and it was... Good? I quite enjoyed it anyways, the Franklin was really cool.

Seeing Idris Elba in command gold was nice too.

I do wish they went a little more into the idea of a culture washing over it's own problematic history, since that was actually a neat thread that is currently relevant and could've brought a lot of interesting discussions. Ah well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cross-Section posted:

Shenzhou's transporter bay:

Really emphasizing the "ripping your atoms into shreds" aspect here

This is some loving Dr. Who quality sets here. Man this show is looking like garbage.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Zurui posted:

I read or heard somewhere they were taking it in an 60's Bond movie type style, hopefully it looks and sounds good in motion

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Zurui posted:

The West Wing and BSG are born great examples of shows where the CO has huge gravitas but the actual work is done by the XO and other subordinates.

Actually, come to think of it TNG has many episodes where Picard only appears in a role as a CO. Then again, "Descent" and "Chain of Command."

And when I think about BSG, I remember Adama's intensity in the CIC and the complex relationships he had with his crew and civilian authorities and his trusty drunk right hand man, whose name might have been Tusk or Fisk. He was cool and awesome, but I can't remember his name right now and a show about him would have been a drag.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CharlieWhiskey posted:

And when I think about BSG, I remember Adama's intensity in the CIC and the complex relationships he had with his crew and civilian authorities and his trusty drunk right hand man, whose name might have been Tusk or Fisk. He was cool and awesome, but I can't remember his name right now and a show about him would have been a drag.

His name was Jim, Jim Lehey.
http://i.imgur.com/K9T39JB.mp4

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CharlieWhiskey posted:

yeah the bald drunk guy was cool

I think the thing that's going to date most modern sci fi stuff hardest is all the drat rubber costuming in everything, those vest things look silly

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Tighclops posted:

those vest things look silly

Keeping with Star Trek tradition then.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
In a universe where most weapon hits kill you instantly, armor makes zero sense. It won't protect you and it'll just limit your mobility. It's also ugly as hell, like every other design on this show. That transporter room:barf:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I let the liquor take total control, Apollo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In a universe where most weapon hits kill you instantly, armor makes zero sense. It won't protect you and it'll just limit your mobility. It's also ugly as hell, like every other design on this show. That transporter room:barf:

This has always struck me as weird in Star Wars too. Stormtrooper armor looks cool as hell, but all it takes is one scorch mark and you're hosed.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Cojawfee posted:

I let the liquor take total control, Apollo.

The shitvipers are launchin'.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

This has always struck me as weird in Star Wars too. Stormtrooper armor looks cool as hell, but all it takes is one scorch mark and you're hosed.

Stormtrooper armor is meant to be intimidating more than useful I think.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In a universe where most deaths seem to be from exploding consoles, blunt head trauma, weird primitive aliens stabbing you, and other such entirely preventable deaths, some basic level of PPE is really called for. At the very least eye protection or full face masks for working at a console, helmets and stab/bullet proof vests for away parties. It's not going to stop a disruptor, but it's going to protect you from falling rocks and shrapnel and most primitive weapons. I imagine with their technology they could do this with something extremely light. Also air/environmental systems possibly built into the helmets if there's any environmental hazards of risk of crazy purple knock-out gas or maybe the air makes everyone crazy.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Orv posted:

Scorch mark, try sticks and stones in the hands of violent 3 ft tall teddy Bear monsters.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Stormtrooper armor is meant to be intimidating more than useful I think.

remusclaw posted:

Scorch mark, try sticks and stones in the hands of violent 3 ft tall teddy Bear monsters.

Yeah but it holds true for basically all armor in that universe. I don't know why anyone bothers.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

Yeah but it holds true for basically all armor in that universe. I don't know why anyone bothers.

Armor made of lightsabers like Darth Kneepads cranked to twelve might be pretty effective.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Man, everywhere is getting so mad about the designs in Discovery.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What do you reckon the transporter visual effect will be like

Orv
May 4, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Something new for no good reason.

I honestly really like the JJ effect, speaking of. :v:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Star wipe

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stripes like the traveler disappearing with the old school Jeapordy filling in the categories sounds.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Discovery emulates JJTrek designs: OMG IT'S TOO MODERN WHAT ABOUT TOS

Discovery goes retro: OMG IT LOOKS LIKE poo poo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zurui posted:

Discovery emulates JJTrek designs: OMG IT'S TOO MODERN WHAT ABOUT TOS

Discovery goes retro: OMG IT LOOKS LIKE poo poo

What do you think "retro" means exactly?

They intentionally made a prequel which is between two known visual style references and then apparently just went hog wild.

Edit: like a pig. In the mud.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It means 3D printed costume gribbles but the walls get hand-cut rubber strips over gold foil giftwrap.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Quick frame skip and a "pop!" sound effect.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Star Trek has way too many one off bits of technology that never get used again. "We'll be out of phase, so I've rigged up these devices that will put up a skin tight force field around us." Why isn't that tech used all the time? Get a bigger power source and use that to shield everyone from phaser blasts like the Borg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS