Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Adolescent personality aside, the thing about Achilles is the choice he is given, by a deity who also happens to be his mother. We have been given similar choices. Achilles is nephilim.

For my own part I don't have Enkidel obsessed with honor and such. I do have him cognizant that forms of speech manifest things directly and therefore our relationship to our word has an immediate and pragmatic importance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Why would we waste the Nuke on Fare when Samson is literally right next door.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Diogines posted:

I am afraid I cannot, sorry.

However, I invite a creative Goon to write it and make Horrible Lurkbeast feel better!

Fare yawned, sat up in his bed, and stretched luxuriously, opening his eyes contentedly to gaze at the familiar hellscape around him. He had just awoken from an exceptionally pleasant dream wherein he had successfully laid siege to the mighty city of Baitel. As his abominations streamed forth into the city, their formidable numbers bolstered by colossal beings from the abyssal depths, he had spied a small cloud of butterflies dancing merrily in the wind, and so broke from striking the near-dead Melachim he had been throttling to frolick with them. As they danced and sang together, they proclaimed him their king, right in front of his armies and everybody! The joy he felt in his dream did not fade as he awoke. Instead, it fueled him onwards as he prepared himself for another long and fruitful day of scheming and laying the foundations of a plan to decisively annihilate Ur.

As he practically skipped down the foreboding HALL OF TORMENT to command his forces of eternal darkness, he spotted a banner flapping in the wind out of the corner of his eye. The sight sent shivers down his spine, and his face immediately fell as he thought of what, to him, was the greatest sign that he needed to reshape the world in the flames of war.

Snakes.

For whatever reason (none, not even the blightiest of the blighty men would dare ask him) Fare greatly disliked Snakes. Maybe it was because of their scales, or the strange way that they moved, or the way that they constantly stuck their tongues out in a display that Fare considered exceptionally rude regardless of any biological imperative that they might have possessed. Fare simply did not like Snakes, and he paused for a moment in the HALL OF TORMENT to recollect his thoughts. He thought again of butterflies, their vivid colorings painting the skies in beautiful shades like the flames of his indefatigable forges, and he smiled once more. His mighty wings flapped once, twice, and he was airborne. In his mind, he was with the butterflies now, safely away from any snakes. How was Fare sure of this?

He knew that snakes couldn't fly.

"HEAR ME, MY ARMIES" Fare roared as he exited the HALL OF TORMENT and stood atop the STAIRS OF AUDITS, the force of his edict shaking the lands on which the Fist of Fare resided. His armies reacted at once, their minds consumed by the sheer power of the commandment. His blighty men, always nearby, always the first to a fight, were likewise the first to respond, landing heavily enough to shake the ground once more as they knelt at the foot of the stairs, hardly daring to look directly at the all commanding presence that was their God.

The Bnaimokt were next, their rapid pace somehow intensifying as they instinctively formed a mighty formation, marching to serve Fare as they would again march when the Jubilee arrived. More came from under the earth itself, forming an immeasurably large hammer with which Fare would strike Mt. Har on the anvil of his fury! He mulled that one over in his head again as the Banimokt began to stand to attention. He still had a few years yet, he could think of a better phrase to encapsulate his goals.

He began aware of a strange whistling sound as he began to consider his desires, but he paid it no mind as he lost himself in his thoughts. Taking over the lands, annihilating El and the Melachim, and establishing a new world order predicated on suffering and the eternal flames of strife was all well and good, but he had to think of himself, too. And as beings from an era before the time of man rose before him, millions of eyes staring in rapt attention as they awaited the signal to reclaim that which was rightfully theirs, he thought again of the butterflies. He wondered if anybody in Ur had even paid a great amount of attention to those fragile and beautiful insects, had even appreciated the temporal beauty that they brought to their dismal lives, and felt once again transfixed with a rather inexplicable fury. Bunch of damned snakes he thought to and about nobody in particular, and before the gathered masses, his tremendous muscles bulged with a fury that threatened to unseat the heavenly order and tear the world asunder.

...Oh yeah, he was also addressing everybody. Well.

"...YOU HAVE DONE ACCEPTABLE WORK," he said again, his voice no less powerful than before. The multitudes before him, confounded by the ever-louder whistling noise and the pause in his command, let out roars of delight. What a wonderful God they served! How good it was to know that their work was pleasing unto Him! The sound of their exultations reverberated across the land, striking pangs of fear in any creature capable of hearing them.

Which, Fare considered, would be slightly less because of that damned whistling noise. He looked across the land, straining his mighty vision slightly, and...

There. Fare's face fell in utmost sadness as his worst fear sped toward him, heedless of the heartbreak its very existence had caused him.

The Orm's body began to glow with a vibrant light as the air around him ignited from the friction of his unimaginable force. His eyes bulged, tears dropping and boiling off almost immediately, as they shone both with energy and the unmistakable flames of hope. "Bring her home!" he cried, splitting the clouds ahead of him as he angled himself directly for the Fist of Fare. He closed his eyes, bracing for the inevitable, his mind filled with thoughts of her as he reached speeds beyond anything he had ever achieved before.

Before Fare, his forces sprang into action. Some of the great abominations cried out and hunkered down for cover, others moved in front of the gathered hordes of Bnaimokt, hoping against hope to shield them from the unimaginable impact that was only milliseconds away. The Blighty men roared their opposition to the Orm, words of power echoing through the Fist of Fare without any discernible impact. One of them turned and gazed up at his God, his eyes full of determination and worry as the Orm surged toward them. Surely this could not be the end of them, or of the mighty Fare! Surely he would act to strike down whatever monster of El this was!

A tear ran down Fare's face, and as the world exploded around him, he thought of butterflies.

Dammerung fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 22, 2017

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Arkanomen posted:

Why would we waste the Nuke on Fare when Samson is literally right next door.

Instant annihilation is appropriate for horrific evil that threatens our lands. But for petty revenge, no, that needs to simmer...

A warm breeze blows through his wispy white hair, and a horrible thudding approaches, each footfall still causing the aged Sampson to wince. A young woman, in the vibrancy of her youth, is clad in riding armor made of shining steel plates affixed to flexible leather. She pulls back on the reins and the magnificent roan stallion halts. Sweat was already beading on her forehead, but the wind would be swift through her hair as she rides across the plain. She clutchs a bound tome in her arms, "Paw-paw, I'm off to deliver Enkidel's latest edicts to Baitel, and I'll be back with the next moon. I love you."

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
At a future date if we could 1) create and fund the Enkitzstat Acting Troupe, and 2) have them perform all three of these stories, that would be great.

Boonoo fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 22, 2017

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Dammerung posted:

A tear ran down Fare's face, and as the world exploded around him, he thought of butterflies.

I don't want to set the world on fire, I just want to start a flame in your heart.:flame:

That's also great.

אתה לא חתול ולעולם לא תהיה.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 22, 2017

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

אתה לא חתול ולעולם לא תהיה.

אני מה שאני, איש חתול

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
for those who care, dominions 4 is on sale for 12 bucks on steam

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Dominions rarely goes on sale and never for that little. It is weird and complicated but if you like classical myths and strategy games, I suggest you buy it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Diogines posted:

Dominions rarely goes on sale and never for that little. It is weird and complicated but if you like classical myths and strategy games, I suggest you buy it.

Just don't start with Ur.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Getting that as soon as Steam's servers stop exploding.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

It's a trap, don't do it! Don't play bad game Dominions 4. How do I know it's a bad game? I play.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

super sweet best pal posted:

Getting that as soon as Steam's servers stop exploding.

Wait, why, are the servers down or somet-

oh poo poo, summer sale!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it's incomprehensible and obtuse.

I made a badass giant fish guy and stormed up onto the human lands with like basalt lords or whatever they're called. Worked great! Just trample!
3 fights in my guy's eyes got shot out by arrows and he became completely useless. Then I got stomped into the earth.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

it's incomprehensible and obtuse.

I made a badass giant fish guy and stormed up onto the human lands with like basalt lords or whatever they're called. Worked great! Just trample!
3 fights in my guy's eyes got shot out by arrows and he became completely useless. Then I got stomped into the earth.

The fact that water nations suck is our only saving grace when Asherah rises from the depths.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Diogines posted:

One of your buddies may also resemble Achilles, though that comparison is less accurate. Achilles was a dick. The person I'm referring to is not.

Okay, who is the magical ant-person?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Zeroisanumber posted:

Just don't start

Fixed, much better

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Dominions obligatory best story posting.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/28362785/

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dammerung posted:

Fare yawned,
:eyepop:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ugh 4chan. This is why you don't let people play popkill ermor (I think MA?), poo poo is banned in goon games unless otherwise specified.

Go pick a real OP nation like van or pan and steamroll your enemies with unkillable sacred elves or centaurs

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Dammerung Lives!

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Arkanomen posted:

Dammerung Lives!

I hope so, anyway!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Now all we need are Tomn and ADP!

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

There Bias Two posted:

:discourse::five:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

There Bias Two posted:

Maybe someday soon, you never know!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Dom 4 is a lot to learn, wow.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

There's too much of a learning curve for my tastes in casual entertainment.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

There Bias Two posted:

If you want to learn it quickly and easily I suggest watching a couple LPs done by nuclear monkey.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

Watch nuclearmonkee LPs he's the best player in the goon community and explains poo poo pretty well. Also the goon IRC is super helpful to all players, I just helped someone that is in the same game as me so that they can murder my poor nation and god better.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Butt Discussin posted:

Could be that the melachim just couldn't or wouldn't convince the Orm to cooperate. I'm more concerned about helping him than her, who is probably beyond help.

Things that could be done to help the Orm, assuming She is a Hunger demon:

• Lying (She's at the Fist of Fare, go there and end your suffering permanently)

Just as a note: I'm pretty sure the Orm specified that he was unkillable Spirit-Spirit, implying that if he got hosed up at the Fist of Fare, he'd turn into a hunger demon (like his lost lover :( ). We'd basically just be giving Fare more ammunition to use against us.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Just as a note: I'm pretty sure the Orm specified that he was unkillable Spirit-Spirit, implying that if he got hosed up at the Fist of Fare, he'd turn into a hunger demon (like his lost lover :( ). We'd basically just be giving Fare more ammunition to use against us.

I have my doubts about this.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I bet Orm is a construct, made by Her, expressly to protect her and the Children. It might be why he can't gain Spirit-spirit, and why he has such a focus on it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Not that it's really under vote, but convincing sapients to go on what have a significant chance to be suicide missions is, barring extreme and extenuating circumstances, bad, imo.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

I wonder if the Orm would be allowed to climb the mountain....

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Voting is closed for a few hours. If I find that I have time to update tonight, I will. If not, I will reopen voting.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

I wonder if the Orm would be allowed to climb the mountain....

Would the Orm help some of the weaklings who need a leg (coil?) up?

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
In general, I wouldn't trust too much of what the Orm says - at least not when it comes to the larger mysteries of the game. There is a trend of the thread being way too trusting of information from sources that aren't the usual sources (Ish, the different Melachim, the House of El, and so on). This is easy to understand, since the usual sources spend more time keeping information from Enkidel than they do sharing it. So when the thread finally finds someone willing to talk, it is like water to a person dying of thirst.

That still isn't a good reason to trust random sorcerers, newly re-awoken egomaniacal megalomaniacs, ret-conned insect people, or extremely distraught divine constructs outright, however. At its heart, this game is about information and power, and every being that Enkidel encounters has either limited information and power, or limits on how they can use their information and power. That's not to say that we can't speculate and form theories with the information, though. Just remember that no one Enkidel has met has perfect information, no limits on how to use it, and a desire to share it fully with Enkidel.

I think a good example of this is was the Nusku dude, and the whole elemental theory. Sure, you can interpret a lot of things in the game through this theory, just as you can interpret a lot of things in real life through it. That doesn't say anything about its strength as a theory, though - it just says something about human capacity for creative interpretation. Up until meeting the fire dude, no patterns had emerged in the game that would suggest that some sort of elemental metaphysical theory was essential to understanding it. Further, the theory didn't really explain anything about the game - it didn't tell us anything new outside of itself, so to speak. It may be that the theory holds, and that everything that happens in the game on the higher levels of power has to do with elemental affinity, but even if that is the case, it doesn't really give us any insight that can be used to guide Enkidel's actions.

The Orm has been described repeatedly as curiously incurious, with a very alien mind, with clear emotional issues and an inability to face the facts of a painful situation. I think it would be wise to be very skeptical about everything it says, and to try to test or verify everything before accepting it as truth. Including its motivations.

(and just in case: I like the Orm and I think it would be really cool if Enkidel could end its pain in some way! Liking it and trusting it are two very different things, though, in this game)

Azram Legion fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 23, 2017

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
An easy way to test would be to get the orm to judge our Spirit-spirit now, then come back in a few years when [???] is significantly different, and see what he thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Plan FoxTerrier