Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Applewhite posted:

See I'm a fan of the multi-phase fight. I was honestly disappointed that Hollow Knight didn't bust out a "Final Form" on me, so to speak. Ofc THE RADIANCE made up for it but at the time HK was kind of a letdown.

I'm definitely a sucker for the boss seeming like he's dead and then metamorphosing into something awesome and terrifying.

I think that is part of the point. You're supposed to feel disappointed if you just woke the dreamers and fought the Hollow Knight, skipping tons of zones. It's like if you just beat Richter in SotN and thought that was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Is it possible to bounce up the top of a certain lighthouse?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ambivalent posted:

I think that is part of the point. You're supposed to feel disappointed if you just woke the dreamers and fought the Hollow Knight, skipping tons of zones. It's like if you just beat Richter in SotN and thought that was it.

Also if you just killed the dreamers and went straight to the Hollow Knight, you'd probably be a lot less powerful and the fight would be less disappointing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah the reason that fight is so "easy" is because he's designed to be fought with minimal gear. Its not like he lacks for a variety of attacks that can be tricky to avoid, especially if you don't have the shadow cloak. And if you don't have a heavily upgraded nail his health pool is a lot bigger. I think he's a pretty well designed fight in that regard.

I just wish he wasn't an Artorias clone in almost every way.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah the reason that fight is so "easy" is because he's designed to be fought with minimal gear. Its not like he lacks for a variety of attacks that can be tricky to avoid, especially if you don't have the shadow cloak. And if you don't have a heavily upgraded nail his health pool is a lot bigger. I think he's a pretty well designed fight in that regard.

Yup, that was the idea, although I hear so often that it was a disappointingly easy that I think I may have pitched it too far on the easy side. Like, I'm pretty sure Watcher Knights are a harder fight, which is silly because they HAVE to be fought BEFORE him.

Internet Kraken posted:

I just wish he wasn't an Artorias clone in almost every way.

Dunno what this means.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The most disappointing thing about the fight's difficulty is that everything else about it is rad. His moveset is cool, the music is fantastic, the way he starts out as a simple swordfight and his attacks become more and more infection-based as the fight goes on is absolutely awesome.

Tullius
Dec 23, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

Is it possible to bounce up the top of a certain lighthouse?

If your talking about the one im thinking of I saw a streamer do it and just bounce to other side. There was nothing there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

George Lazenby posted:

Dunno what this means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgy1TV12LDc

Tall lanky knight, throws around infectious goop, screams incoherently, carries a large blade with one arm, and fights like a crazy beast. In a game that felt like it invoked the feeling of Dark Souls at places, this was the only part where I felt like it was getting a bit to close to something from it and losing its own identity a bit. This is probably just bias on my part though because I hate Artorias.

Also Watcher Knights probably are a harder fight just because they have so much HP. Also they don't give you any free windows to rack up a ton of damage like HK does when he starts stabbing himself.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Saying hollow knight is based off Artorias seems like a huge stretch to me. I mean you could also say the watcher knights are based off dark souls 2 belfry gargoyles but it's such a forced comparison to make to me

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgy1TV12LDc

Tall lanky knight, throws around infectious goop, screams incoherently, carries a large blade with one arm, and fights like a crazy beast. In a game that felt like it invoked the feeling of Dark Souls at places, this was the only part where I felt like it was getting a bit to close to something from it and losing its own identity a bit. This is probably just bias on my part though because I hate Artorias.

Also Watcher Knights probably are a harder fight just because they have so much HP. Also they don't give you any free windows to rack up a ton of damage like HK does when he starts stabbing himself.

Corrupted knight who loses control is hardly a novel idea. More importantly the fight makes perfect sense given the context of it. Like I don't know how else you could have that fight consider who the HK is and all the stuff that's happened to it.

Also if it helps:
Remember the HK is mute, that incoherent scream you hear is the Radiance's. I mean you could remove it but I think it loses some impact without it. Also I'd argue that the idea of a corrupted knight overwhelmed with infection is lashing at you is better done in HK. It trying futile to dig it out (or destroy itself), the moments when the Radiance regains control and uses the HK's body as a living cudgel to try to smash you, etc. There's absolutely nothing like that in the fight you linked.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 14, 2017

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

There are a lot of visual and thematic similarities. I assumed aspects of his design were an intentional shout-out.

I mean, a lot of Dark Souls designs are basically "how similar can we get something to this thing from Beserk" (the answer is 'very similar') and it at least wouldn't be that blatant.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 15, 2017

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I hate multi-phase fights, everyone feels like they have to do them. I'm just as glad Hollow Knight wasn't a massive exercise in frustration.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

guppy posted:

I hate multi-phase fights, everyone feels like they have to do them. I'm just as glad Hollow Knight wasn't a massive exercise in frustration.

Actually multi-phase fights are great.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm finding all kinds of interesting things with the dream nail, filling in some grey areas in the plot. Some useful info even came from one of the benign ghosts in the resting grounds!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Loving everything about this game so far. Just visited Nailmaster Sheo, was he supposed to be inspired by Miyamoto Musashi? The game oozes atmosphere and style, even the bench locations are lovely to look at.

Also, :agreed: about all the Dream Nail interactions. Visiting the Spirit's Glade and interacting with each of the ghosts was an incredibly nice touch.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Has anyone seen what happens if you rescue a certain damsel only after facing your superior, the True Hero, in the arena?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Discendo Vox posted:

Has anyone seen what happens if you rescue a certain damsel only after facing your superior, the True Hero, in the arena?

well they didn't interact yet for me, i think i left him in webbing for the longest time. He's in the colosseum now.
On the same note, i know this thread is sorta dead but i need help regarding the trial of fools goddamn. My overtuned nail build works well for the bosses but not the guaranteed damage poo poo they throw at you with no option to heal.
:'c
need help thread

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

well they didn't interact yet for me, i think i left him in webbing for the longest time. He's in the colosseum now.
On the same note, i know this thread is sorta dead but i need help regarding the trial of fools goddamn. My overtuned nail build works well for the bosses but not the guaranteed damage poo poo they throw at you with no option to heal.
:'c
need help thread
My breakthrough happened when I started using nail arts, which I had basically ignored entirely until then. The ability to one-shot the stupid triple-shooting flying things was key. It takes a little practice to charge and use the slash while wall-hopping for that last stretch, but it's worth getting used to. Obviously, use the charm that speeds up the nail art charging.

The other thing to do is figure out which enemies you can heal against one-on-one, and make sure that you leave them for last in a group of enemies. The best one is the dumb slow sentry with the shield. You can just dash to the other side of the arena and heal two or three times before he ambles over to you. The hard part is not killing them when taking down everyone else. There are some other enemies that also work, but you have to spend some time dodging and waiting for just the right moment to get in a single heal. The hopping spiky ball enemies are basically a freebie soul and health refill, so take advantage of those.

I think I also ended up using most of my charm slots for magic and more soul gain. It's tempting to use the quick slash and nail extenders, but I had much worse luck with those than using primarily nail arts and magic.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Thanks for the answer. Getting effective attacks in seems to be the most important thing. Not used nail arts either, but those spitter flies warrant it , Jesus. Youtube comment said they were Chris Kyle, American Sniper so thats what i think every time i get jacked by any of the pellets.
I think as soon as i focus on movement all the fights in the game got easier so will try not taking damage, but the amount of stuff happening can be a bit much, maybe being more proactive has merit.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Discendo Vox posted:

I rescued her pretty late and basically went right from there to the arena without stopping in Dirtmouth first. The next time I went there, they were together and he's giving his speeches to her in what I assume is the standard dialog. The elder said something about her being infatuated with the player, which didn't make sense at that point. The mask fragment was in her room.

So it's not exactly your question since I didn't rescue *after* the arena, but it's close, and I suspect that the outcome would be similar.

In other news, a patch just dropped today

Patch notes posted:

Patch Notes:
- Further refinements to translation and display for German (Beta), Spanish (Beta), Simplified Chinese (Beta), Korean (Beta).
- New languages: German (Beta), Spanish (Beta), Simplified Chinese (Beta), Korean (Beta).
- Fixed issue where some boss/NPC names weren't displaying correctly.
- Fixed issue where Quick Map shortcut could cause errors while entering/leaving scenes (for real).
- Slight adjustments to White Palace respawn locations.
- Enemy behaviour adjustments.
- Cutscene refinements.

White Palace is the next thing I have left to do, so I wonder if they've made it a bit easier?

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 22, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Lakitu7 posted:

White Palace is the next thing I have left to do, so I wonder if they've made it a bit easier?

Sounds feasible. There were a few moments where touching a buzz-saw seemed to push you a bit too far back. That's a welcome little QoL change.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think there are also some places where a hazard can respawn you behind your previous checkpoint due to being lower or something. They might of fixed that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
George, how good has the sale been to you guys so far? Just curious how its compared to total sales for you so far.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The white palace is bad and ruined this game for me retroactively. What the gently caress were they thinking?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Counterpoint: White Palace owned and was another interesting segment in a series of cool and good things in this game.

The White Palace Discourse is eternal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

George, please add another, far more difficult, section after the White Palace where you have to do nothing but avoid Royal Retainers complaining at you about the White Palace.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 23, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Being a Royal Retainer must suck. Every day you have to navigate a gauntlet of sawblades just to use the bathroom.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
At least you're well protected from all but the most determined of burglars.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The white palace is bad and ruined this game for me retroactively. What the gently caress were they thinking?

They thought that you've spent the entire game engaging in tight, precise movement and platforming so you should be ready for some more tight, precise movement and platforming.
They thought right. White Palace is very good.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Augus posted:

They thought that you've spent the entire game engaging in tight, precise movement and platforming so you should be ready for some more tight, precise movement and platforming.
They thought right. White Palace is very good.

The controls aren't tight enough. If I wanted this style gameplay I'd play it in a game that did it better.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Are you playing on keyboard? How are the controls not tight enough?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

The controls are very tight but i still die to platforming segments. Doing stuff like getting out of the ancient basin shaft without double jump Feels Good though when you get it down

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I believe our fungal friend is actually speaking with a set of less-prominent NPCs. Secret ending/extreme spoilers ahoy:

1.Fungal Wastes:
...It's nice that you were able to help your friend. So you're not hungry any more?
Yes, that was quite the appetite. I was impressed. Still, we all move on sooner or later.

To greater things, perhaps? So much can be achieved in just a short time...

This appears to refer to Confessor Jinn/Steel Soul Jiji.

2. Kingdom's Edge
...Shouldn't trust the eye they gave you. Rely on your own instincts.
If you've got a keen nose, use it.

And while you're hunting for secrets, beware those who are hunting you!

This is probably Leg Eater, who discusses being able to smell the player.

3.Deepnest
...The dead can't make use of wealth in any case. What would they spend it on?

Yes, a big brood like that. They need food. And shelter. And toys.

If you keep some for yourself... Well, I think you deserve it. Yes...

This is Tuk, or possibly Leg Eater, the only two NPCs who obsess with money and appear to be robbing the dead.

4. Howling Cliffs
...What was called a "hero" in its moment may be called something very different after time has passed.
The crimes and triumphs of our predecessors echo all around us, don't they?

The chains of fate that bind us all together... do you really want to break them?

Unclear. Could be Lemm.

5. Ancient Basin
...Well if things are getting too dangerous down there, maybe it's time to take a break?
Come back up and spend some time hunting, or gathering, or wandering aimlessly.

No, not too much longer now...

Unclear, Cloth maybe.

6. Fog Canyon
...I haven't seen her, no. I'm sure you'll remember where you left her eventually.
Trust the moon, or yourself. Or trust her. You need to trust something, that's my point.

Hmm? No, not him. No. Absolutely not.

Unclear.

7. King's Pass
...It's not by tools that you'll triumph, it's through your smarts, your speed, your determination...

Unclear.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The controls aren't tight enough. If I wanted this style gameplay I'd play it in a game that did it better.

I'm not sure how exactly the game could have tighter controls than it already does

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I'm playing Hollow Knight on an older computer with FPS drops in certain zones (City of Tears, Soul Master boss, for instance), but I've never had an issue with the controls being tight. The game feels just as responsive as games like Guacamelee, Valdis Story, Shovel Knight, or Rogue Legacy.

What problems are you having with the controls?

The only controller issue I've experienced is when my controller soft-locks itself when my character sits on a bench and tries to change charms/mess with the inventory. It may be something related to pressing the menu/shoulder button twice, very quickly. But it's easily fixed by exiting the game and reloading, a minor inconvenience.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The only real problem I have with the controls is how your double jump moves you downward a bit before launching you upward, which makes platforming with a spiky floor and low ceiling a little weird. Otherwise it's pretty responsive. The player character stops on a dime and hits his top speed quickly, and the airdash is really smooth.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

the jump is perfect, and the double jump has a similar max reach and drop off if you choose to let go of the button. you know the devs worked hard on that poo poo because its so drat responsive

on topic the palace level is kicking my rear end, don't know how anyone does this without the hive charm lmao

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

aaand i beat it. Level definitely gives you some tough love but at the end i was doing stuff i never thought i could do. Good stuff

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Wild Horses posted:

aaand i beat it. Level definitely gives you some tough love but at the end i was doing stuff i never thought i could do. Good stuff

Nice. I grabbed the hiveblood charm after you suggested it, but I did not enjoy killing those cute little bees. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I just sent off a bug report to Team Cherry, but I thought this was funny so I'd share. See, I've run in to the problem of the penultimate boss, The Hollow Knight, being a little too hollow. He's kind of, uh, completely invisible. It's a rough fight when you can only tell where your opponent is from where they land or where they're attacking! I took a screencap of it roaring for the title card; that's it in the center of the orange glow on the right.