Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I held my jobs for 2, 8, 5, 3 years and am with my current company for 1.5, drat I'm getting old....
Always jumped ship myself and never looked back.

Currently doing consulting at a pretty sweet client but I'm getting a bit nervous. The work is awesome and I get to learn lots of new stuff which I wanted to but never got the chance to do before. The just fired a few people and want to try and get some of the current consultants to join the company.

They basically have insane paygrades, amazing benefits, 30 min commute for me and no limits on training/education.

I'm afraid they're going to ask me too. And I don't know if I want to.

I left a similar company after 3 years because of numerous reasons and went to do consulting. My current company goes to great lengths to keep me happy and have just bought another company and expressed (multiple times) they see a great role for me here. But the field I want to break into is not their core business. I lucked into my current role but thats what I'd love to do and become better at for the next few years. My company doesn't mind and supports it but won't expand into that field.

I would love to continue to work at my client but am afraid the won't renew my contract somewhere in the near future if I turn down an internal contract. And I'm really torn on what would be worse, losing my current gig or joining a type of company I recently ran away from. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Previous couple jobs were 1 and 3 years, respectively. At a new gig now so we'll see how this goes (ps I like it).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kashuno posted:

How long do you folks usually stay at your job?
I've worked at 4 different places in the past 15 years. Moderate stability's nice.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

3 years on in government work, only 7 more till student loan forgiveness kicks in..!

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I did just shy of a decade in my last job. Aka most of my twenties. I feel this one wont last as long.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't think I've held a job for more than 3 years. Almost hit it around 2008 but the whole financial collapse gave us customers who didn't pay our bills to the tune of $80k+. My supervisor once handed out a us ticket with the instructions, go to the client site, unplug, unrack and take all their servers.

Layoffs came. I was just 21, proceed to drink most of my unemployment and eventually went back to school.

My favorite job and still to do this day was as an Unix Application Admin for an app that provisioned T1/T3 Circuits for ATT. Too bad I was dumb, enormously undercut myself in pay and they refused to bump me but otherwise there's a good chance I'd still be there.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 23, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Tab8715 posted:

I don't think I've held a job for more than 3 years.

Same, and not intentionally. I think my average is just over 2 years.

But between layoffs and generally just reaching the peak of where I could go at a company, 2 years seems to be it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm closing in on 4 years at my current place, but we had temporary layoffs last year, with a new round this summer, so... Pretty much done at this point.

Time to :yotj: ?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I'm running up against 4 years at my current position. It's not perfect, but they go pretty far to keep me happy and give me a lot of freedom to improve processes, so barring a local government position opening up I'll probably be here for a while.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
My last job was 7 years. I'm only a few months into this one. My previous ones were all around 1 to 1.5 years.

I mostly had to move on for other circumstances. My 7 year job was my first "real" IT job.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CloFan posted:

3 years on in government work, only 7 more till student loan forgiveness kicks in..!

If you are sticking with the job only to get student loan forgiveness and are being paid less you need to look at how much your loans are. I've seen people that could easily be making 50k now and 100k in another 3-4 years sitting at a 35k job that will pay off their loans in another 7-10 years. If they took a better offer they could apply 100% of the pay increase to their I'm sure under 105k never mind the minimum payment that would need to be added if they only went from 35 to 50. Even assuming they somehow have 250k in loans, the overall earning potential of staying at a deadend 35k job for 10 years is going to make it very costly in the long run.

If you like what you are doing great, but if you are sticking around at helpdesk job that you hate for what would amount ~10k/year bonus you need to rethink it.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm very happy where I'm at. I'm underpaid, but the work/life balance is unmatched and the benefits are nice too. Plus then I'd have to move to a town with more than 10k residents, I prefer the rural life :)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Opinion Poll

Given that: UPNs are currently $employeeID@company.com
And that current employee ID numbers are 4 or 5 digits
And that your new HCM is mandating a uniform 6-digit employee ID.
Where existing employees will have their id's converted by prepending an 8 or an 80

Do you

1. Change all upns for existing employees to match new employee id format
2. change upn policy to first.last@company.com to match e-mail policy
3. do nothing, and let users have credentials that will not match anything and the users will eventually forget why they're different.

fe: I'm trying to prevent 3 from happening and writing up options for 1 and 2

The Fool fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 23, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

Opinion Poll

Given that: UPNs are currently $employeeID@company.com
And that current employee ID numbers are 4 or 5 digits
And that your new HCM is mandating a uniform 6-digit employee ID.
Where existing employees will have their id's converted by prepending an 8 or an 80

Do you

1. Change all upns for existing employees to match new employee id format
3. do nothing, and let users have credentials that will not match anything and the users will eventually forget why they're different.

fe: I'm trying to prevent 3 from happening and writing up options for 1 and 2

1. #2 means you're going to have a collision on names eventually. Just bite the bullet now and update everything.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

The Fool posted:

If you ever decide to go to O365 for email you're going to want to do this anyway, might as well bit that bullet now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zaepho posted:

If you ever decide to go to O365 for email you're going to want to do this anyway, might as well bit that bullet now.

Already on O365 and it's a pain in the rear end.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

1. #2 means you're going to have a collision on names eventually. Just bite the bullet now and update everything.

If they're going to have a collision on UPNs they are going to have a collision on email addresses. So whatever the solution for email addresses is should be applied here. Having users memorize a UserID that has random numbers in it is silly.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Internet Explorer posted:

Having users memorize a UserID that has random numbers in it is silly.
Counterpoint: If you can't memorize these 6 digits you aren't smart enough to work here.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

My samAccountName is my employee ID (6 digits) but my UPN is firstname.lastname@company.xxx, it's annoying

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Standing weekly vendor lunch from 1130-1, I hosed off early and ran errands; didn't get back to work until 130, and left at 315 to go to the nano-brewery a mile away. Happy Friday!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Having a login name that doesn't match your email address does weird poo poo for iOS ActiveSync devices. You'll receive an email to your.name@company.com, but you set the account up with 123456@company.com, so it CCs you whenever you respond to a message.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Counterpoint: If you can't memorize these 6 digits you aren't smart enough to work here.

I mean yeah, you could be proud of the fact that you make things more difficult for your users than they need to be, I guess.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Internet Explorer posted:

I mean yeah, you could be proud of the fact that you make things more difficult for your users than they need to be, I guess.

But it's not random, he said it's the employee ID. They're just standardizing length. I don't think asking people to remember their employee ID is asking too much?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

But it's not random, he said it's the employee ID. They're just standardizing length. I don't think asking people to remember their employee ID is asking too much?

You already make me remember my name, email, and phone number. Do I really have to remember another number?!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jeoh posted:

My samAccountName is my employee ID (6 digits) but my UPN is firstname.lastname@company.xxx, it's annoying

FYI, for documentation purposes, it's not safe to use .xxx as an example anymore.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

FYI, for documentation purposes, it's not safe to use .xxx as an example anymore.

This. If you need a domain name for an example, just use example.com, it's reserved for exactly that purpose.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

contoso.com

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Unless you have 5k+ users I just don't see the point. You're already going to have a collision on email addresses, so unless you have your employee ID in the email what's the point in the UPN being different?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLAM DOWN posted:

contoso.com

http://www.cafepress.com/windowsphone.675590781

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ordered, tyvm

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
First job was 7 years, left when it was clear there was no more advancement potential and the new infrastructure. director they brought in was a piece of work. That retail company went out of business a few weeks ago.

Next job was at the corp offices of ITT tech for 10 months, I got the gently caress out of there asap after I got some resume building projects completed. Liquidated last year.

Last place I was there for almost two years exactly, and it would be going out of business if it weren't for the German parent holding company. It was definitely run like a company that was losing money, drat near zero IT budget, and surprise, a new IT director was also a completely clueless idiot.

New place I've been at for 3 months, and I don't see myself moving for a long time unless something changes. It's healthcare related but not subject to HIPAA, makes good money, has good leadership, and invests heavily in the IT department.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Job Length Talk;

Worked for myself for 5 years in the 90s, got my first real job working for a switching firm right at the start of the .com boom, so that lasted about 2 years before I got transferred to the Silicon valley.
2 years at the startup, place went up in flames.
Took a year sabbatical.
3 years at the next place. Trading Firm.
6 years consulting for myself, mostly medical (HIPAA, Security)
3 years went FTE at one of my clients (healthcare, I was the only IT guy)
3.5 years FTE now at the current place (consulted with them over the entire term of my last job and before that)

I love where I work. I love the people and the commute and the company is growing, so it's exciting, but our pay scale is so hosed up right now, I'm having a harder and harder time ignoring it. I've made my objections known, I'm taking classes at UCLA in management, going to give it another year, but if I don't see 30% more base salary by my birthday next year (may) I'm out.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Having a login name that doesn't match your email address does weird poo poo for iOS ActiveSync devices. You'll receive an email to your.name@company.com, but you set the account up with 123456@company.com, so it CCs you whenever you respond to a message.

This happens on Android too. We have that setup. firstname.lastname@example.com address and flastname@example.com login.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Yes. Assign all the employees numbers. Ensure you minimize them to their IDs. Make them answer to their number ID.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

jaegerx posted:

Yes. Assign all the employees numbers. Ensure you minimize them to their IDs. Make them answer to their number ID.

You are number six.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You are number six.
I am not a number, I am a free man

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you do numbers, make sure that when people leave the company, their number is unassigned and everyone with a higher number goes down by one.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Its not and this is the dumbest thing people have argued about in a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Sickening posted:

Its not and this is the dumbest thing people have argued about in a month.

Your ID is id10t