Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
It's just mostly I owned both DLC too i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

If you go to the Apple App Store and purchase Victoria 2 Heart of Darkness you end up getting the base game and both expansions for $13

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

ninjahedgehog posted:

Out of curiosity, how did you guys wind up fixing this one? Do they now only check if they can castrate their prisoners every day?

It got fixed by more structural changes, since it used to be a normal decision of the old style it had to check literally everything in order to work since they had no real context associated with them. If I remember correctly this is also partly why we started to do more targeted decisions since we can pre-build lists etc that is relevant for the context of those the decisions. Plus just the fact they have a target group that the decision can only apply to it makes it way easier to just quickly sort out where the decision is relevant or not for the AI. Plus this whole thing also spurred us to optimize how the target decisions build up their list of valid targets.

Also A+ for your name

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So, Paradox has decided to rollback the price changes! They posted a statement below:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/pricing-change-rollback-information-thread-latest-news-here.1031635/

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Huh, I'm surprised. That's cool though.

Probably relatedly, Paradox forums running incredibly slowly for anyone else right now?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

quote:

If none of this is possible (I do not in detail know the limits to the Steam platform) we will internally calculate the difference in revenue before and after the price change, double the value, and donate the money to the UNHCR.

I hope this happens so we can see Nazis meltdown about their mum's money being donated to the UNHCR. Well played.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The whole pricing fiasco was bizarre coming from a company that prides itself on transparency and communication. It sounds like it was some thought bubble from accounting that had some big numbers showing increased profits and it was just rolled out with seemingly zero strategy on how to communicate the changes. There was no warning or announcement when it happened - it was discovered by the users. Then when it was raised in the forums, the explanations were vague and contradictory. Then when people complained about the reasons/strategy they were blocked if they complained too much.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Pretty surprised the company that releases half baked games and expects customers to fill the rest in with paid dlc was caught out price gauging. They're normally so ethical!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What company are you talking about?

The guys who make Civ?

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

What company are you talking about?

The guys who make Civ?

If you were expecting me to be offended by this you have picked the wrong person. That company is dog poo poo too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No that's a game that legit can be called out for that poo poo so I thought maybe you were confused.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Janissary Hop posted:

Pretty surprised the company that releases half baked games and expects customers to fill the rest in with paid dlc was caught out price gauging. They're normally so ethical!

they releade full baked games, are literally crazy?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Maybe they were just testing the economic model for VIcky 3.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So EU4 is at grog game levels of expensive if you have none of the DLC.

If I only have the base game, what's the bare minimum I should be getting?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

they releade full baked games, are literally crazy?

Stellaris was in no way full baked. Neither was hoi4 if I'm being honest but it was closer

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i haven't even touched stellaris since launch, is it actually interesting mid-game yet or is it still a boring slog?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jeoh posted:

i haven't even touched stellaris since launch, is it actually interesting mid-game yet or is it still a boring slog?

It's better (with the paid DLC) but maybe another DLC until it's good?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jeoh posted:

If you found it boring originally it is likely you will still find it boring, if you liked it a bit you would probably like it more now. They added some content, but it's still a pretty shallow 4X.

[edit]To add to the above conversation I've played Early Access games that were more baked than Stellaris is a year after release.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 23, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Art of War, Common Sense, and Rights of Man are probably the biggest ones. Art of War adds a lot of quality of life improvements, Common Sense adds manual development of your provinces (which is near-criminal to have as a DLC feature ever since they added institutions, but oh well), Rights of Man has Great Power mechanics and a lot of good stuff for leaders and monarchies.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Splode posted:

It's better (with the paid DLC) but maybe another DLC until it's good?

ZearothK posted:

If you found it boring originally it is likely you will still find it boring, if you liked it a bit you would probably like it more now. They added some content, but it's still a pretty shallow 4X.

[edit]To add to the above conversation I've played Early Access games that were more baked than Stellaris is a year after release.

Thanks. Yeah I liked the setting and the idea behind it, but it was just so shallow after the early game.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

It's worth booting up a game of it even without the DLC, the biggest addition of (unity perks - think Civ 5 social policies) is in there and it's pretty good.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So Steam had Darkest Hour for 2.49 today on sale. Real excited to try it out since I heard good things about it. But turns out it doesn't work on Windows 10. The subforums on Paradox have about 10 different "fixes" to get around it, but none of them work, and the only one I haven't tried is to take my video card back a couple years in drivers, which seems really unnecessary just to play this game.

Wish the mod devs could be bothered to make an official patch.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So Steam had Darkest Hour for 2.49 today on sale. Real excited to try it out since I heard good things about it. But turns out it doesn't work on Windows 10. The subforums on Paradox have about 10 different "fixes" to get around it, but none of them work, and the only one I haven't tried is to take my video card back a couple years in drivers, which seems really unnecessary just to play this game.

I have privileged information that they will as soon as you update Poland LP.

Uh... I've played Darkest Hour without a problem on my Windows 10 machine without any tinkering, maybe I am just lucky?

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
How is Vic2 now with the two expansions? The time period is appealing to me but a lot of the negative reviews scared me off, but it's not clear to me how much of that was the usual reaction to a half-baked Paradox game at launch. It also looks rather ugly (not as ugly as HoI3, however). Am I better off just waiting for Vic3 and hoping it doesn't suck?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Panama Red posted:

How is Vic2 now with the two expansions? The time period is appealing to me but a lot of the negative reviews scared me off, but it's not clear to me how much of that was the usual reaction to a half-baked Paradox game at launch. It also looks rather ugly (not as ugly as HoI3, however). Am I better off just waiting for Vic3 and hoping it doesn't suck?

Vic2 is my favorite paradox game. It's not good, but it is great.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Panama Red posted:

It has not aged well but, well, what Senor Dog said.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Panama Red posted:

Honestly, I'd give it a miss. I've been modding EU4 to extend the timeframe to cover vicky 2 so that my multiplayer mega-campaign doesn't have to deal with Vicky, since I know we'd lose players if we did. It's an interesting game, but it's very unfriendly and clunky.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

gradenko_2000 posted:

YF-23 posted:

Art of War, Common Sense, and Rights of Man are probably the biggest ones. Art of War adds a lot of quality of life improvements, Common Sense adds manual development of your provinces (which is near-criminal to have as a DLC feature ever since they added institutions, but oh well), Rights of Man has Great Power mechanics and a lot of good stuff for leaders and monarchies.

This is correct, plus the dlc for whatever country or culture you wanna play. The ai will get access to stuff in dlc you don't buy so you don't need that stuff unless you personally wanna be a Jewish state or something

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Senor Dog posted:

It's not good, but it is great.

This is possibly the most apt description of Vic2 ever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Vicky 2 is amazing until you understand how it works at which point it is terrible. Definitely play it and also play the nightmare clusterfuck New World Order mod which makes it into an incomprehensible cold war simulator

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

This is correct, plus the dlc for whatever country or culture you wanna play. The ai will get access to stuff in dlc you don't buy so you don't need that stuff unless you personally wanna be a Jewish state or something

I don't think that's true except for stuff like nations that are present but which you can't play as (such as colonial nations without Conquest of Paradise). If you don't have, say, Wealth of Nations, neither you nor the AI can use the Hindu preferred deity mechanic.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah I know the AI doesn't develop if you don't have Common Sense. And there's stuff like transfer occupation which'd be a massive pain in the rear end if your vassals routinely transferred to you but you had know way of giving the land back, lol.

You can try out all the DLC if you play multiplayer with someone that has it though, only the host needs it for it to be available for everyone else.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

The whole pricing fiasco was bizarre coming from a company that prides itself on transparency and communication. It sounds like it was some thought bubble from accounting that had some big numbers showing increased profits and it was just rolled out with seemingly zero strategy on how to communicate the changes. There was no warning or announcement when it happened - it was discovered by the users. Then when it was raised in the forums, the explanations were vague and contradictory. Then when people complained about the reasons/strategy they were blocked if they complained too much.

The initial decision was very questionable, but it takes courage to admit to a mistake and reverse course. True to my word, I will rewrite my EUIV review when I get home, to give it a thumbs up. They've surely been monitoring me personally, so this should come as good news to them.

Now is the time for me to delve into the DLC. People keep saying Art of War and Common Sense are indispensable. Rights of Man, too? Anything else? Cossacks is apparently one to avoid.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

The initial decision was very questionable, but it takes courage to admit to a mistake and reverse course. True to my word, I will rewrite my EUIV review when I get home, to give it a thumbs up. They've surely been monitoring me personally, so this should come as good news to them.

Now is the time for me to delve into the DLC. People keep saying Art of War and Common Sense are indispensable. Rights of Man, too? Anything else? Cossacks is apparently one to avoid.

Common Sense and Art of War are the two that are almost mandatory. Rights of Man is really fun and probably my favorite DLC. Cossacks is pretty divisive, and a note about it is that it actually makes the game harder, but in ways that I personally think are more fun. I also quite like estates, but people kind of go both ways on that. that Mare Nostrum and Conquest of Paradise are really not worth it, and you probably shouldn't go near Mandate of Heaven with a ten foot pole until they actually fix/rebalance it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The DLC discount right now is actually kinda lovely. It feels weird saying that when it's half-off, but most of this stuff has been 75% off at some point, and when you buy in bulk, those prices really add up. If Paradox now refuses to give deep discounts on their older DLC like they used to, then that just makes it all that much more expensive to get into.

Why is there not a decent bundle for this poo poo yet?

edit: This is for EU4, I forgot this wasn't the thread for that.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 23, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Cossacks adds two things of note. One is estates, which falls short of being the fun and exciting peacetime mechanics everyone's always clamoured for, and which can feel a bit annoying at times with estates asking for more and more territory as you grow your empire. At the same time they can give you some really good perks if you play them right, and it's not a very difficult balance to maintain between them being useful to you and being too powerful. I think they're mostly fine, but also kind of a background element as well (as a note, MEIOU & Taxes overhauls them into true beasts that you have to contend with, and is probably the single biggest change in that mod I like the most).

The other thing it adds is diplomatic feedback, by which you can manage your trust with AI countries to make them more accepting of your diplomacy, tell them you want to be friends or enemies, and mark provinces that you want so they know to give them to you in peace deals or whether you have conflicting interests. It's a system that you don't necessarily need to use to go through a game, but which I'd describe as more or less a gamechanger when you realise just how many uses it has.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've come to feel the Sabaton soundtrack is the really vital DLC for EU4.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

FWIW, I ran into this last week and the thing that worked for me was to edit settings.cfg to force the game to run in windowed mode, and then run the game from Darkest Hour.exe, not from Steam or from the launcher :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted:

The initial decision was very questionable, but it takes courage to admit to a mistake and reverse course.
i dunno if i'd call it virtuous to change your mind about a price gouge. p sure they're just rolling back because their messaging was off-point