Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Chuck as a deranged villain with the blanket fused to his skin would make the perfect foil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Capntastic posted:

the perfect foil

It works on multiple levels

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

^^^^^lol

My parents leave the TV on channel 5 all night for some mentally invigorating Celebrity Apprentice, American Ninja Warrior, The Voice, etc etc. Basically, yeah.

I don't know how to get them to give Breaking Bad a shot; I have tried. They'll watch The Blacklist, which uh, counts for something I guess. I don't really get it. Old people and TV, man. (They're not that old TBH, posters here have copped to being the same age.)

Big Bang Theory. Yeah. Weird to me. We're living in a golden age of really great television. A lot of it is better than what's in theaters, arguably most of it, and I can hardly keep with it to be honest. I have so much (apparently) good stuff on my Netflix list i'd have to quit my job to catch up with it all.

Never mind. I just googled Neilsen Ratings and beginning ti understand my problem. Off to finally start watching Fargo now.

RedSpider posted:

Who else is happy that miserable gently caress Chuck is going to be absent next season in favor of more interesting characters? The Nacho/Gus relationship is going to be nothing less than superb, for starters.

I'm also curious as to the future of Howard's character. What is there left for him to do? This show has had great cliffhangers like this so far.

I loved the Chuck character and loved McKean in the role so, yeah, I'll miss him. My guess is that Howard will be in the mix either offering Kim her old job back or involved with Jimmy in a wrongful death lawsuit.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

DId Jimmy ever replace the rigged Bingo balls? Things are gonna get hairy when the same numbers start coming up every time. Thanks to the dude who linked the story about the PA lottery rigging. i never knew about that.

The key to the bingo ball rigging was the metallic substance Jimmy injected into his target balls and the use a magnet to draw them up the ball bubbler's chute. Without a magnet to act on the metal in the rigged balls and attract them, they wouldn't be noticeably different in how they moved around or came up compared to the normal balls.

Even if someone were to find one and see that it had metal in it, it probably wouldn't trigger that many alarms. "Maybe they all have it in them!", they'll think, or figure that it's some method the manufacturer uses to keep them bouncing around correctly and coming up fairly relative to other balls. And of course, being low-stakes rest home bingo, no one is really going to think too much about it, anyway.

And it's the fact that it is low-stakes bingo that works in Jimmy's favor. No one would suspect rigging to have occurred, because who in their right mind would go to incredible lengths to rig a senior citizen's bingo game, just to win some kitty cat stickers? Using it as a tool to engage in intense psychological and social manipulation is beyond the ken of most people, because they have "right minds" that don't think that way, while Jimmy's mind seems a bit more troubled to begin with and he has an intense financial motivation that compounds his latent need to develop a scheme and act on it.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Chuck will be back looking like emperor palpatine, wrapped in his space blanket.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe
Chuck survives, but is put into a care facility due to brain damage from oxygen deprivation

Plot twist: it's the same facility that holds Hector

they team up and HIJINKS ENSUE

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Chuck's electric meter is an induction-type meter. These meters are subject to a condition called 'creep' - that occurs when the meter disc rotates continuously with potential applied and the load terminals open circuited.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ATP5G1 posted:

Chuck survives, but is put into a care facility due to brain damage from oxygen deprivation

Plot twist: it's the same facility that holds Hector

Was Hector in a Sandpiper facility? :aaa:

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I hope Hector and Irene can be friends.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Was Hector in a Sandpiper facility? :aaa:

Second plot twist: yes :aaaaa:

mallratcal posted:

I hope Hector and Irene can be friends.

Third plot twist: they get married

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

Vince Gilligan, you're welcome and I'll take my check now

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I would just like to point out that those space blankets are used by firefighters to survive forest fires:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/01/firefighters-emergency-tents-arizona-survival/2479619/

Chuck Lives!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Chuck becomes one with the space blanket.

"I'm immune to electricity now, Jimmy. I'm free of all my property. I can devote my entire life to ending your career. Or my name isn't Ignacio Lalo!"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Why couldn't Jimmy have pocketed the tampered balls as he pulled them out?

(@Goons_TXT)

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Plot twist #57896, since they hold out for more, the settlement winds up being "liquidate assets" money and all the nice old ladies are out on their asses.

Or we get a spinoff with Howard and the guy from Davis and Main running the facilities?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

How are the ratings for this season DOWN? this is one of the best shows on TV. What the gently caress do people watch? Dancing with the Stars and poo poo still?

The second season and first part of this season were pretty slow, and while the middle and end of this season were excellent, I can see why some people might have checked out before then. The show still has a bit of an identity crisis and a bit of a Daenerys problem in the way that there are still two different worlds that only very rarely converge through Mike too, and the more pre-Breaking Bad elements they add to Mike's part of the plot, the less this show makes sense to people who haven't watched that show. This show can be a bit unrelentingly grim at times too, and while Breaking Bad worked on fixing that by adding Bob Odenkirk as a comic relief character, this show ended up being far less comedic than the original pitch, or even than the first season was. Everyone involved thought we'd be watching a show about Saul Goodman by now, which would be a show in which he worked directly with Mike on criminal matters far more frequently, but the soft reset between the first and second seasons changed that plan a lot. I think there were benefits to slowing things down, but I think there were also clearly costs too, and they probably overdid it a bit.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Disagree. The show is perfect

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Riptor posted:

Cool, I'm glad you're having fun. I'm fully back on board after wavering a bit earlier in the season (though I still think they need to wrap it up in another couple seasons or the actors' ages will go from being a stretch to being laughable), I'm just saying I can see why they lost some viewers along the way.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Riptor posted:

Yep. It's not too slow at all. Some people just don't have enough patience. Not the show's fault

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I don't think it's too slow, but I didn't like how often a scene would have absolutely no bearing on the scene before it or after it, because we're telling a couple entirely unrelated stories. Each individual scene was excellent, and the different story arcs were excellent, but it still doesn't really feel like Nacho, Mike, Gus and Hector are in the same show as Jimmy, Chuck, Kim and Howard.

Except for exactly two crossover scenes, one where Jimmy helped out Mike (in a way that didn't affect Jimmy's arc in the slightest) and later Mike helped out Jimmy (which they thankfully tried to tie in to Mike's thought process with "get back to building things").

I recently rewatched the first season, and it definitely was more... cohesive.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Not that any of my friends are Neilson families but the prevailing opinion I encountered on this season was "Ill wait until I can binge it"

Plus no one my age has cable anymore it won't get any usable numbers until netflix unless they want to look at piracy hits.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sinteres posted:

The second season and first part of this season were pretty slow, and while the middle and end of this season were excellent, I can see why some people might have checked out before then. The show still has a bit of an identity crisis and a bit of a Daenerys problem in the way that there are still two different worlds that only very rarely converge through Mike too, and the more pre-Breaking Bad elements they add to Mike's part of the plot, the less this show makes sense to people who haven't watched that show. This show can be a bit unrelentingly grim at times too, and while Breaking Bad worked on fixing that by adding Bob Odenkirk as a comic relief character, this show ended up being far less comedic than the original pitch, or even than the first season was. Everyone involved thought we'd be watching a show about Saul Goodman by now, which would be a show in which he worked directly with Mike on criminal matters far more frequently, but the soft reset between the first and second seasons changed that plan a lot. I think there were benefits to slowing things down, but I think there were also clearly costs too, and they probably overdid it a bit.

This is kinda where I'm at. The first season was fun, second season felt like they lied to me at the end of the first but was still enjoyable, and now this season Jimmy is still a long way away from becoming the character I thought I was going to be watching. I just don't find Jimmy interesting, and while the show is good it's everything that isn't Jimmy that keeps me watching it. All my friends have jumped ship on it so besides here there's no one I talk to about it. Think I'm gonna just hop off and binge what ever seasons come next as they're released on Netflix. Now that the most interesting character on the show is dead I don't feel like I'm gonna be missing out on much.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Jimmy is still a long way away from becoming the character I thought I was going to be watching. I just don't find Jimmy interesting

Solice Kirsk posted:

Now that the most interesting character on the show is dead

:thunk:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chuck was the most interesting character and I find Jimmy boring. I've stopped caring about what made him Saul, so what's the point of keeping up with it? And according to the ratings I'm not alone. It's a good show, I've just lost interest in it.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Data Graham posted:

Well, two things:

"Monty Python" was a serviceable shorthand for The Holy Grail for casuals throughout my high school and college experience

And the practice of :regd08:'ing Python through overquoting and ceaseless references is something that predates the internet

Which I agree is a shame, blame me if you like; I do

Yeah I'm 34, so I'm from the AOL/CompuServe days when the Internet hadn't hit mainstream. I can assure you that my nerd friends and I ruined Monty Python for people in the real world of flesh and bone. :smith:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

"If enough people tell you that you’re drunk, maybe it’s time to sit down"

Yea it's a slow show. Too slow for most. If the cartel/Mike side of the show were dropped, which is where all the Breaking Bad fanservice is, I don't think people would keep watching.

Having said that, I really connected with Chuck's existence in this show. Very in depth, believable, and a chilling end for him which I'm glad I stayed on board for.

Vince always said, "Just wait until you see where we're going with it" and it paid off for me. Should you have to watch 30 hours of a drama to reach an actual climax? Probably not, but it was a good character study on a sick guy. And not everyone will connect with it or this show in general since it explores some very niche topics that would be unentertaining to most.

But it did something for me. I felt nothing when Jimmy's friend died. Definitely felt something with Chuck's death.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Gus was absolutely the worst part of this season beyond his comeback/reveal scene. Mike was fun up until he caught up with Gus and I'm glad they kept the former to just about one scene per episode and phased the latter out almost entirely.

You may as well just have Mike tapping his foot, waiting for a sociopath chemistry teacher if he appears in season 4.

Beyond Jimmy, the original characters with little to no direct connection to Breaking Bad are the best thing about this show. It's a shame to see Chuck go and I'm worried that they'll double down on Gus now that they've lost their old antagonist.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Last Chance posted:

Yep. It's not too slow at all. Some people just don't have enough patience. Not the show's fault

No, it's slow. It's been 3 years and we just had Jimmy taking his first step towards becoming Saul, which was making an old lady cry to get money, and they took it back. It took like 15 episodes just for Mike to find Gus and make an agreement with him. There was nothing exciting about it and really I don't know why it was something we even needed to see. It was straightforward Mike found Gus and now they're working together. That was not worth incredibly long scenes of Mike looking at binoculars and a long montage of Mike taking a car apart and still more long scenes of Mike doing something with a tracker. The Nacho storyline with Hector should have been one or two episodes not the entire season. I don't care that much about Nacho because we don't know that much about him. It's kind of neat to see what made Hector become confined to a wheelchair but I don't give a poo poo if Hector pulls out a gun and shoots Nacho.

I like the show, I'll never quit watching, but I don't love the show. I don't try to get friends and family to watch as I did with Breaking Bad as I don't feel it's must see.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

This is kinda where I'm at. The first season was fun, second season felt like they lied to me at the end of the first but was still enjoyable, and now this season Jimmy is still a long way away from becoming the character I thought I was going to be watching. I just don't find Jimmy interesting, and while the show is good it's everything that isn't Jimmy that keeps me watching it.

I keep feeling the same way - that Jimmy is the least interesting character in his own show - but I don't think his arc is BAD. When I talk to friends about the show, it's always about Chuck, Nacho, Gus, Mike, Kim etc. before we get to Jimmy.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Stretch this story as thin as you like, it's the journey not the destination. I don't expect or need Saul Goodman until the final season, much like Walter wasn't a kingpin until 5A.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I hope Jimmy's still Jimmy right at the end. :unsmith:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

RJWaters2 posted:

Stretch this story as thin as you like, it's the journey not the destination. I don't expect or need Saul Goodman until the final season, much like Walter wasn't a kingpin until 5A.

But the journey still feels like it's at the beginning or close to it. Walt on the other hand was doing heinous unforgivable things in Season 2.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I'm rewatching BB now that the season is done and it's easy to see why it had higher ratings. Something happens in almost every episode and we tend not to meet extraneous characters until they intersect with the Walt/Jesse story.

I really enjoy this show but it is spinning its wheels a little bit. Luckily the characters on screen are fun enough that I don't mind.

Breaking Bad also has more comedy in it.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

some guy on the bus posted:

But the journey still feels like it's at the beginning or close to it. Walt on the other hand was doing heinous unforgivable things in Season 2.

That's because Jimmy has been Saul since his teens, just without the suits and strip mall. Walter had much further to travel between Mr. C.H.i.P.s and Scarface.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RedSpider posted:

Thanks for the custom title, anonymous mod. :discourse:

A mod didn't give you that but stop posting about the suicide hotline. I'm pretty sure you've made your feelings on it clear.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Breaking Bad also has more comedy in it.

Also, more violence. Maybe that's part of why people find this show plodding (I don't).

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The soundtrack in Breaking Bad was insanely good too. Some of the montages in this show are stupidly long and they play to a frustratingly generic tone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't feel like anything this season was wasting time, it was great the whole way through. I cannot say the same thing about season 2.

I'm not surprised ratings are down but it'd be insane to cancel it. The Americans gets total dogshit ratings and is going to get its 6th and final season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

RJWaters2 posted:

I'll keep watching no matter what, because I love this show. I'm just worried that they will keep telling a slow story until AMC says "that's it, you're done," and we don't get a conclusion. Maybe Vince knows something we don't and AMC will keep letting them make seasons. I personally think they should wrap up the Saul story in season 4 and then use season 5 to see more Saul as well as look at Gene. It seems like they are doing something with Gene, but that story doesn't move far when it gets 2 minutes per season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope we get at least one entire episode of Gene shucking and jiving, upselling people at the Cinnabon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It's still gotta be doing better than 90% of AMCs shows. Did a clickbait article roll out saying that BCS is tanking, I don't know where people are getting this

TWD is probably the only other show doing better than BCS right now

• Locked thread