Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Rimworld: Crusader Kings Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Okay, so, like.

Dwarf Fortress already has children. A mod that adds that functionality to a different Dwarf Fortress-like game doesn't sound like the worst possible thing, on the surface of it.

But boy oh boy is the selected passage troubling.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

quote:

- In certain circumstances mothers seem to never stop giving birth; unsure of cause

:stonk:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Imagining the author is a guy in a lab coat and clipboard taking notes while Cronenbergian horrors happen to everyone around him.

I just need more time, I have to find out the cause of this 14 year old girl's constant birthing. She herself had a totally natural birth in the growth vats, it just doesn't add up!

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: extreme negative moodlet for baby death

Orv
May 4, 2011
I need a self-moratorium on checking this thread before lunch.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

did this thread give you an extreme negative moodlet, like the kind you would get from baby death

Orv
May 4, 2011
-80 mood: *long, pained sigh, close tab*

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

-40 Mood: Read the awful mod thread.

Now I want a PC mod that allows your people to browse/post on SA and get different moodlets for it.

Pawn goes berserk. Reason: Posted on GBS.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Okay, so, like.

Dwarf Fortress already has children. A mod that adds that functionality to a different Dwarf Fortress-like game doesn't sound like the worst possible thing, on the surface of it.

But boy oh boy is the selected passage troubling.

It's Rimworld, so adding children ends in armchairs and kibble being made out of them, even without troubling passages.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Pyromancer posted:

It's Rimworld, so adding children ends in armchairs and kibble being made out of them, even without troubling passages.

just think of all the kids born for the sake of organ farming/slavery! :ancap:

also being big boss and having child army!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

I mean, that happens in Dwarf Fortress too sometimes, but it doesn't really make things any better, admittedly.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
To be fair I'd love a Dwarf Fortress mod that lets you jettison children across the planet via drop pod

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I mean, that happens in Dwarf Fortress too sometimes, but it doesn't really make things any better, admittedly.

I'm getting flashbacks to the guy who made Mermaid Auschwitz in Dwarf Fortress because mermaid bones were really valuable.

e. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25967.0

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Danaru posted:

quote:

- In certain circumstances mothers seem to never stop giving birth; unsure of cause
:stonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXcxKXvb10c

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sorry to break up this horror show but some madman is re-texturing Paper Mario.

http://newpapermario.tumblr.com/

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Well...alright. It looks decent enough, I suppose, it's just a curiously specific passion project to choose.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Okay I loving hate this. I couldn't even embed the images here for easy mocking/dread because the author deemed it fit to show off his 8 year old waifu in 3840x2160.

On the other hand, I love this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, I think we all need a palate-cleanser and possibly some brain bleach, so here's a dancing robot from the Space Engineers Community Workshop (the music's added in as a mod, the rest is vanilla blocks in the game).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLn8oUKdvUI

And its new successor; Jester of Clang!*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klD2P4Y3jIU

*Clang is an injoke in the playerbase, the dark malevolent god that causes PHYSICS to occur to innocent rotors and pistons.

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

loving Hell :suspense:.

It was much worse before I clicked the link and saw it's for RimWorld, and not The Sims. I blame the word 'moodlet'.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The thing is Tynan has been very clear as to why kids aren't in the game right now and it's because the time scale is hosed for human kids (no colony lasts 13 years, ever) and the interactions are so complicated that they're not worth even considering

This guy is basically proving him right with his first release lol

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Coolguye posted:

The thing is Tynan has been very clear as to why kids aren't in the game right now and it's because the time scale is hosed for human kids (no colony lasts 13 years, ever) and the interactions are so complicated that they're not worth even considering

it always was a bit of a shame that DF and RW never lasted long enough for the next generation of colonists to ever matter at all, would be nice to have an actual generational fort for once instead of every game being Roanoke after year one.

edit: now that I think of it what would rimworld adventure mode be like?

Thefluffy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 24, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Every Dwarf Fortress going down in flames is part of the game's charm. For a generational colonization thing there's stuff like Banished

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hogo Fogo posted:

It was much worse before I clicked the link and saw it's for RimWorld, and not The Sims. I blame the word 'moodlet'.

When I was a preteen I was really into The Sims and because of how the modding community was geared towards people who liked to use the game for roleplaying or as sort of virtual paper dolls to accompany stories there were a lot of mods that added pregnant Sims. But since OG Sims didn't have any sort of character growth or aging mechanic (kids stayed kids forever) it was purely cosmetic and meant your Sim just had a permanent baby bump, and when I used one of those mods for a character I was playing I remember having an existential panic attack at the thought of being perpetually pregnant and unaging, living in the same house forever.

I was a weird kid.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
With a small, well-managed fortress, DF settlements can last two or three decades, long enough for a generation of children to be born, grow up, join the workforce, and succumb to FUN.

Relevant to the thread, however, you tend to run out of interesting things for that fort to do LONG before that point without some serious modding to flesh out some sort of side goal. I would recommend the hilarious and ill-fated Pokemon mod, but good luck completing your dorf pokedex when half of the little shits breathe fire or are horrible combat monstrosities angry at man and god.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Coolguye posted:

I had a pretty solid self sustaining colony, even the bands of like 30+ raiders didn't ruin it because the ones that didn't get wrecked by the mine field and turrets were eaten alive by the hoard of disposable tamed wild life. Sadly that save went down in flames when I tried to start a second colony and the lag became so bad I couldn't play it anymore.

With a small, well-managed fortress, DF settlements can last two or three decades, long enough for a generation of children to be born, grow up, join the workforce, and succumb to FUN.

This is the bigger problem with trying to be more ambitious and last more than a year. A single year in one of these games feels like an eternity.

I would recommend the hilarious and ill-fated Pokemon mod, but good luck completing your dorf pokedex when half of the little shits breathe fire or are horrible combat monstrosities angry at man and god.

Rimworld has a pretty cool mod that adds in lovecraftian horrors and cults. It's pretty cool but as you would assume, everyone spends a pretty constant time near insanity and that can kind of suck.

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
Not the worst thing I've seen, but I really don't think Dragon's Souls count as vegan....

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

I'm the Dragonborn with the hipster haircut

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
Or using Moon Sugar to make Vegan sweet rolls - that's like making muffins with cocaine instead of baking powder

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Trochanter posted:

Or using Moon Sugar to make Vegan sweet rolls - that's like making muffins with cocaine instead of baking powder

Actually thanks to ESO it's now canon that Moon Sugar is literally sugar and not Ye Magyckal Cocaine anymore.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Guy Mann posted:

Actually thanks to ESO it's now canon that Moon Sugar is literally sugar and not Ye Magyckal Cocaine anymore.

Oh come on :cripes: Why would you take something interesting and purposely make it not interesting

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

RareAcumen posted:

Sorry to break up this horror show but some madman is re-texturing Paper Mario.

http://newpapermario.tumblr.com/

countdown till nintendno shuts it down begins

Orv
May 4, 2011

Danaru posted:

Oh come on :cripes: Why would you take something interesting and purposely make it not interesting

TESO.txt

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

countdown till nintendno shuts it down begins

Nintendo is so litigious to their fans I'm not even sure why anyone bothers trying to mod or improve their games.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Guy Mann posted:

ESO is canon? gently caress me

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's like the total opposite of battlefield 2142 revive, which has links to straight up download/effectively pirate the game right on their website, and they advertised it on the official battlefield forums, but EA hasn't stopped them because why would they. The games were dead and had no hope of coming back because gamespy shut down, before revive did some moon magic to restore server functionality.

Orv posted:

TESO.txt

MMOs.txt

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

frajaq posted:

ESO is canon? gently caress me

Canon is whatever you want it to be because none of it is real and anything can be changed at any time. They even made that canon with CHIM so gently caress it all, praise daedra, smoke skooma, khajit did nothing wrong.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Furia posted:

Okay I loving hate this. I couldn't even embed the images here for easy mocking/dread because the author deemed it fit to show off his 8 year old waifu in 3840x2160.

Read the description.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shadowlyger posted:

Read the description.

:smith: