Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Congressman Ossoff used to work for once asked an Admiral if Guam was in danger of capsizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Joementum posted:

The Congressman Ossoff used to work for once asked an Admiral if Guam was in danger of capsizing.

Hey, they were putting a lot of Marines on that island. Those guys aren't ballerinas, you know.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

She ends the segment by saying Bernie was the only other candidate that talked about Jobs the way Trump did.

Woops, so it does.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

SoupyTwist posted:

There was a twitter thread recently theorizing that all the alt-right nazi types post a ton and have lots of bots/garbage posts, which twitter can use to show (inflated) customer count/usage so they don't really want to mess with them.

Edit: That is the thread. You could even make the same argument that is why they haven't banned/stopped Trump from tweeting. Dumb poo poo like covfefe must create crazy spikes in their revenue.

Yeah, most social media and startups are just an emperor w/ no clothes situation. Once the irrational exhuberance evaporates and people start asking more questions, silicon valley is going to pop like it's 2007. Advertisers and brands are already figuring out that social media is a danger to them rather than an asset - see the YouTube adpocalypse and the soon-to-be death of net neutrality for examples of this.

The future of this internet is America Online circa 1998. The (far) future of the internet and social media is small distributed P2P networks that overlap and talk to eachother, a new decentralized internet.

We live in a Cyberpunk novel.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Also, can anyone explain to me how Megan Mcardle is employed. She is just the dumbest loving turd.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Huzanko posted:

Also, can anyone explain to me how Megan Mcardle is employed. She is just the dumbest loving turd.

she's a nepotism case like most of them and she says things that people like the Kochs want her to say so she's never lacking for work.

http://shameproject.com/profile/megan-mcardle/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Huzanko posted:

Right place, right time (started a blog that capitalized on the WTC disaster, I poo poo you not)

Rich, well-connected family

Writes neolib pap about how, like, failure is the key to success and poor people should just live in their parents' guest house while they code the next Facebook.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

Right place, right time (started a blog that capitalized on the WTC disaster, I poo poo you not)

Rich, well-connected family

Writes neolib pap about how, like, failure is the key to success and poor people should just live in their parents' guest house while they code the next Facebook.

uber_stoat posted:

she's a nepotism case like most of them and she says things that people like the Kochs want her to say so she's never lacking for work.

http://shameproject.com/profile/megan-mcardle/

Yeah, I figured it was nepotism. I just can't believe anyone wants to listen to her and read her, bit rich people like to have their poo poo beliefs confirmed on the reg.

Thanks for the link. Pro click!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Joementum posted:

it is

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Don't conflate neoliberalism with Randian pablum

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

steakmancer posted:

Don't conflate neoliberalism with Randian pablum

It's easy enough to mistake them, the neoliberal "bootstraps" is "go back to school". They'd emphasize the part where poor people need to learn to code, and then they can make the next Facebook.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Joementum posted:

Was that a joke? He says it was a joke. I want to believe it was a joke.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

I don't know about literal 'the island flips 180 degrees woops we're atlantis now' capsizing but isn't Guam one of the places that are in legit danger of being just loving wrecked by rising seas and all long before Florida et all start to dip and we actually have to care?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
absolute boy

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/878381250712612866

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

I just made a thread for Street Fight Radio if any of y'all want to come join the party: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824717

Cum Town people, please stay in your ghetto.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

sleeptalker posted:

It's easy enough to mistake them, the neoliberal "bootstraps" is "go back to school". They'd emphasize the part where poor people need to learn to code, and then they can make the next Facebook.

i would argue that education is important regardless of employment opportunities :v:

EDIT:

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/06/peekskill-riots-woody-guthrie-paul-robeson-anticommunism

quote:

The Peekskill Riots also document everyday people’s resistance to this reactionary postwar climate. Sidney Marcus, a member of the International Fur and Leather Workers Union and a lifelong Marxist, lost an eye protecting Robeson and his audience that September. Thirty years later, Marcus remembered this reactionary moment:

Sidney Marcus posted:

We underestimated the dangers. That was our biggest mistake. The proof of that is that shortly thereafter we had wholesale slaughter. The House UnAmerican Activities [C]ommittee. The results of the Smith Act, the wholesale purging of the artists[,] the ratting that went on[,] the submissions to fascist authority, all this was orchestrated. They wanted to generate a climate in this country that would produce fear in people. You dare not speak out for Black rights or Jewish rights or anybody[’]s rights because the same that happened at Peekskill would happen to you. We generate animosity because it serves our profit structure.

:stare:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 24, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Cool, now you can add mexicans and muslims and rapefugees to the list of issues the forces of reaction will use to wedge apart the working class. Progress!

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
The cum town boys are the labor party of the cth thread

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
If u listen to joe rogan you're DUP

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Ian Paisley called alcohol "the devil's buttermilk", I can't see his party endorsing DMT

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bryter posted:

Ian Paisley called alcohol "the devil's buttermilk", I can't see his party endorsing DMT

there's no way that ned flanders rear end thing was really said

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Matt was a guest on Friday's Majority Report, where he added some details he had left out from his solo ep.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

sleeptalker posted:

I thought "bootstraps" meant learning a trade while dismissing college as a scam, declaring unions as money hungry money sinks, and willing to slob the knob of management. That's what has always bothered me about Mike Rowe; the trades are an excellent alternative to college, but his message is anti-labor and dishonest about the benefits of work without questioning the powers that be.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/877658711854116865

Virgil is my favorite Chapo and I would listen to a full episode of Virgil Stories

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's worse than that; the neoliberal bootstraps is "Just live in your parents' guest house while you code the next Facebook."

This doubles as an answer for the guy who wanted to know why McArdle has a job.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/lbourgie/status/878693341705142272

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
well that was quick

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Race Realists posted:

well that was quick

That's some garbage writing

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Race Realists posted:

well that was quick

was he trying to do an insult here? It feels like he wanted this to be an insult, but it's just nonsense

quote:

the massively popular blog-post comment section audio-book publisher Chappo Trap House

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you know, having finally finished her book I do have some issues with her core thesis, mainly that the white nationalist stuff is some new thing where these poor stupid young boys are only now becoming aware of their whiteness thanks to the tumblr maybe leaning a bit too hard on idpol at times crowd when that's just absolute horse poo poo. It's still a solid read though. It's a good book but it's very clearly written by someone projecting her bubble of liberal colorblindness to the world around her and assuming that somehow the Goldwaters and Dukes and Buckleys of the world were a different flavor of white nationalist than their children are now taking up because they just said 'we gotta kick the fuckin niggers out' instead of hiding behind fifty layers of memes and in-jokes to say the same thing.

That review isn't terrible off the mark, in my opinion, it's just so soaked in purple prose and lovely little attempts to throw shade that wind up just coming off clunky and sad that it's hard to actually GET there. I think I agree with the core issue that a lot of her read on these guys comes from a very liberal desire to get back to the good old days of intellectual debate, even if that intellectual debate came in the form of a guy in a KKK hood listing the slurs he knows while you smugly chuckle and say 'actually, sir, we don't say those words any more'. There's somehow a greater validity in that openness and structure than a horde of frogmen sending gas chamber memes to anyone who says 'maybe sexism is real', and I get that, but in the attempt to draw some kinda magic line between the original white supremacy that's existed in politics since before America's founding and this new internet amplified one she kinda winds up watering the actual issue down.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I think during her two interviews with the dry boys, they let slip at times their opposition to her idea an intellectual debate ever existed with those sorts of fellows. that buckley and vidal were trolls arguing in bad faith, only from the upper class. their show rests upon such a conclusion

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea obviously they weren't gonna poo poo on someone who's 90% in agreement with them but I think they made it pretty clear that despite liking her book they really doubted there was ever any 'intellectual core' to try to address the alt-right from.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

you know, having finally finished her book I do have some issues with her core thesis, mainly that the white nationalist stuff is some new thing where these poor stupid young boys are only now becoming aware of their whiteness thanks to the tumblr maybe leaning a bit too hard on idpol at times crowd when that's just absolute horse poo poo. It's still a solid read though. It's a good book but it's very clearly written by someone projecting her bubble of liberal colorblindness to the world around her and assuming that somehow the Goldwaters and Dukes and Buckleys of the world were a different flavor of white nationalist than their children are now taking up because they just said 'we gotta kick the fuckin niggers out' instead of hiding behind fifty layers of memes and in-jokes to say the same thing.

Which amazes me as to how that book was so cheered on. They had episodes that outright dealt with stuff that disproved that thesis, and during last week you had former guests point on how utter BS the whole thing was.

Immolations was on a podcast this weekend, and for a bit I thought it was a secret future CTH one.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 25, 2017

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

i would make the argument the more old school white nationalist goons like jared tayor (what is it with jareds?!) and peter brimelow and the Stuff Black People Don't Like guy (calls himself Paul Kersey) are WAY more of a threat than some dipshits posting memes on twitter

it infuriates me to no end these guys have avoided a majority of the spotlight and seem to continue to.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 25, 2017

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Both from my own experience and also from what I've heard from others anecdotally, a lot of alt-lite types can be reached if you can cross the divide through your mutual dislike for establishment liberalism.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

(But you'll also have to highlight matters regarding minorities, otherwise you get stuff like Traditionalist Worker Party types)

Heck, V-Dare types got obscure to the point Patton Oswalt was happily quoting them to defend offensive jokes and Dan O'Sullivan got deemed a "sjw" over calling him out over it.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 25, 2017

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

also, it's weird seeing immolations and lowenafflichen doing the rounds now and being e-famous, i can remember being dumb in irc with them years and years ago

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

That's some garbage writing

Our ossified habits are thawing...because that's what bones do, they melt.

You can immediately tell how dumb and bad these anime Nazis are, because even their faintest attempts to imbue their writing with a little bit of style are all sophomoric in the strictest sense of the word.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Kantbot is dumb as gently caress, and it's hilarious that he's the king poo poo intellectual of the kek army because he has a poor grasp of an 11th grade vocabulary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I had forgotten about this

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/879041534259318784