Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

They also gave some indication of the progress on single player:

quote:

*All the story missions in the game have been designed and implemented and each one contains placeholder voices so we can hear how the story is working before we bring in professional actors.

*All the story cinematics have been written & storyboarded and placeholder voices have been recorded so we can work on the timing of each shot.

*All story conversations with your mercenary crew aboard the Argo have been written and are ready to put into the game.

*All open-ended mission types have been designed and implemented across a large variety of biomes and maps.

*Every room and every character in the Argo has been designed and 3D modeled and the majority are fully lit and textured in the game.

*And last but DEFINITELY not least, we hit a major milestone on the project and were able to play the mercenary simulation core game loop for the first time. That means traveling to a system, navigating crew events aboard the Argo, choosing and accepting a contract, managing your reputation, purchasing equipment, using the MechLab, hiring new MechWarriors, simulating the outcome of the mission (from complete failure to complete success), getting paid, and taking salvage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought half that single player stuff would have even been started, what with how much time is projected until release. Glad to hear it, but a little surprised.

Can't wait to play it!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'd love it if they kept some of those placeholder voices as a kind of optional extra for the released game. (Maybe not all of them, just a few of the funnier clips, gag reel style.)

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Zaodai posted:

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought half that single player stuff would have even been started, what with how much time is projected until release. Glad to hear it, but a little surprised.

Can't wait to play it!

I think they have spent a lot of work laying groundwork for the whole simulation part of the game and have just been plugging in all the different components and making sure they work nice before spending overly long on the single player up till now, since it has to sit on top of the simulation and present itself through it. The simulation sounds pretty robust under the hood, even looking at the stuff in the beta they left in for how to generate a random mechwarriors background and basic stats is really detailed.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

There are posts appearing on the official forums that the AI is much better in this version.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Phrosphor posted:

There are posts appearing on the official forums that the AI is much better in this version.

That's awesome news. Can't wait to play a few matches.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah noticed it already. Can't really put my finger on it but it's definitely moving smarter and prioritizing targets better.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Some nice UI changes. Mechs that are not actively doing anything now have a compressed health bar above their heads. Making for a lot less clutter on screen, mousing over the mech expands this back to what it was before. When taking actions or being targeted it expands as well.

Indirect LRM's that miss the target scatter around the mech instead of falling a couple of miles short. Looks a lot cooler, Big LRM barrages look really crazy even on misses now.

Lots of conflicting reports about AI, I think if they have done anything it might just have been to tweak the weighting of certain actions.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

I thought the backer update was saying the multiplayer patch was when the AI was to be improved?

I played two Random 25mil. matches and a Locust Challenge vs. 4 Urbanmechs on Death Valley and didn't lose a single bugger. It still Braces when it shouldn't, sprints in to my formation isolated and moves to present its rear to my team for a long shot at a wounded light mech. All the old staples were still there in those 3 matches. Anyone here feel AI changed?

My favorite UI change so far is the red pricing on Mechs you can't afford during selection.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Phrosphor posted:

I think they have spent a lot of work laying groundwork for the whole simulation part of the game and have just been plugging in all the different components and making sure they work nice before spending overly long on the single player up till now, since it has to sit on top of the simulation and present itself through it. The simulation sounds pretty robust under the hood, even looking at the stuff in the beta they left in for how to generate a random mechwarriors background and basic stats is really detailed.

I've heard that a lot of what you'd think of as core game stuff actually happens quite late in development, idk if that's the case here or if they've just been optimistic about how fast they could get stuff done.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A good Vice article.

quote:

(To give you an idea of what we're working with here: In one legendary scene, Prince Hanse Davion is darkly reflecting on the growing antiwar movement against his leadership. About five seconds later, his palace is attacked by enemy raiders and Hanse sprints to his old Mech—saying something like, "My enemies have forgotten that the battlefield was once my kingdom, and a Mech cockpit my throne!"—and rides to battle, single-handedly saving his capital. In the process he's wounded, and is satisfied that now his haters will have to acknowledge he pays the same price he asks of his people. It's like if the Queen's line about "being able to look the East End in the face" during the Blitz came on the heels of her using a Spitfire to shoot down a squadron of Stukas. And if I'm being honest, I still love this poo poo.)

It's almost magical how bad the MWO people are at publicity, HBS are literally using every single robot model they've made but the F2P game (which is solid, if disappointing) never gets mentioned.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 24, 2017

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
This game gets so much stuff right. It's just how I always hope tabletop to computer translations will be handled in terms of staying true to the thrust of the game, but without getting caught up in slavishly recreating every nut and bolt. It feels like a proper computer game.

A really pretty megamek would have been silly, but they managed to cram in an impressive amount of that good poo poo that makes Battletech feel like Battletech.

Also, it would be great if this thread's title had the actual name of the game in it. I keep scrolling past it, even in my bookmarks. It's a decent joke title, but Battletech could still be in front of it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

sebmojo posted:

I've heard that a lot of what you'd think of as core game stuff actually happens quite late in development, idk if that's the case here or if they've just been optimistic about how fast they could get stuff done.

My understanding is that for most games, there is a single digit number of weeks between the first time the game can be played start to finish to launch.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

:stare:

If you read the article, Jordan admits that the goal of the game is to recreate X-Com 1:1.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Bubbacub posted:

If you read the article, Jordan admits that the goal of the game is to recreate X-Com 1:1.

No, he's saying he wants BattleTech (the video game) to be to BattleTech (the tabletop game) what XCOM (2012) was to X-Com (the original)- a faithful reimagining that wants to stays true to the ideas of the original while still reworking to fit it in a modern world.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

You lack basic reading comprehension goon.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

No, he's saying he wants BattleTech (the video game) to be to BattleTech (the tabletop game) what XCOM (2012) was to X-Com (the original)- a faithful reimagining that wants to stays true to the ideas of the original while still reworking to fit it in a modern world.

This guy gets it. Also a direct quote from the article.

quote:

"Our constant goal was that your familiarization with the Mechs from the old days should be valid," he said. "The tactics you employed from the old days should be valid. So it shouldn't make you rethink how to play the game. It should just do it in a way that's much more modern."

I dunno about you but apart from damage values being changed and some different mechanics I need to account for, I still play this game the same way I played tabletop. I just wish my PPCs packed more of a punch.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Bubbacub posted:

Ham Sandwiches, you forgot to sign out of your alt-account.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Q_res posted:

Ham Sandwiches, you forgot to sign out of your alt-account.

he ran out of TU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sebmojo posted:

A good Vice article.

It's almost magical how bad the MWO people are at publicity, HBS are literally using every single robot model they've made but the F2P game (which is solid, if disappointing) never gets mentioned.

On point:

quote:

"The 90s were certainly the peak days of the franchise," creator Jordan Weisman admitted, when we spoke at ParadoxCon in Stockholm last month. Then he paused and said, with a poo poo-eating, used-car salesman smile, "Until starting later this year!" Then he cringed, shrugged, and said with a sheepish smile, "Sorry, but I think I have to say that, right?"

Not even going to attempt to claim that MWO has done anything positive for the franchise.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alchenar posted:

Not even going to attempt to claim that MWO has done anything positive for the franchise.
It hasnt and he knows it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really like that he seems to just say what's on his mind. Anywhere I've seen him talk he seems genuine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alchenar posted:

On point:

I will always be grateful to MWO for hiring people good at visual design for the new mech models. The rest of it 110% deserves all the poo poo it gets, but the models are amazing and I'm sure they saved the HBS guys a TON of time not having to hire a bunch of modelers to create designs from scratch.

edit: I mean, when they decided to cash in on the Unseen, as was loving inevitable, we easily could have gotten these for the Marauder and Warhammer:

poo poo, even their atlas is a good take on the classic design.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 24, 2017

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
To be honest I'm ok with that marauder. Also I wanted to note this:

"Weisman is sanguine about the new BattleTech's prospects."

He's a goon, and he reads PTN's thread! :tinfoil:

Well ok the article author does.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 24, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Delete the launcher on the shoulder and that Warhammer isn't so bad.

The Marauder on the other hand is :barf:.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's not just a good visual design, it also has the virtue of being consistent. Something that Battletech was sorely lacking given the plagiarism wide variety of sources from which designs were taken.

I think there was a missed opportunity to rework the Clan mech to stop being extremely similar variations of two blocky designs but I can see how they were a bit too iconic at that point.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

someone hit that marauder on the head with a big cartoon mallet

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

vorebane posted:

To be honest I'm ok with that marauder.

Skoll posted:

Well, proof that every hosed up thing is someone's kink I guess.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Skoll posted:

The Marauder on the other hand is :barf:.

you are full of bad opinions lmao

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Viva Miriya posted:

you are full of bad opinions lmao

Hey, I think your mom not swallowing you was a bad opinion, but I don't follow your dumb "lol I was only trying to bait him" rear end thread to thread crying about it. I find it kinda funny you act smug in IRC about it but not the discord you're in with the person you have the issue with. :allears:

Skoll fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 24, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Skoll posted:

Hey, I think your mom not swallowing you was a bad opinion, but I don't follow your dumb "lol I was only trying to bait him" rear end thread to thread crying about it. I find it kinda funny you act smug in IRC about it but not the discord you're in with the person you have the issue with. :allears:

quoting in case of edit

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Skoll posted:

Hey, I think your mom not swallowing you was a bad opinion

:eyepop:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

i'm sorry that you have bad opinions on battletech art and battletech in general?!?!?! I dunno what else to say without joining you in the mong zone.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
please when you get mad ask yourself WWVSDD

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry you take a 35 year old boardgame seriously to the point of HOLY poo poo THAT MEME IS 100 PERCENT TRUE TO LIFE SERIOUS and then got mad about the resulting pile on over your overreaction. :shrug:

Whatever dude, continue being a butthurt grog.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

ok

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Cool.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
The Reseen were abominations unto god almost without exception and I'm glad that MWO hired away Iglesias from CGL, even if it means CGL doesn't get his sweet artwork much any longer.

As for a unified aesthetic, that's one thing I'm not so thrilled about. With the hodgepodge of artists and art directors that BT has had over the decades, it's really helped give the feel that you've had multiple in-universe design bureaus and mech design trends come and go. Everything looking the same, even good the same, is a bit dull. I'll take a bunch of crap-looking mechs if I can have variety in the good stuff.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Xotl posted:

The Reseen were abominations unto god almost without exception and I'm glad that MWO hired away Iglesias from CGL, even if it means CGL doesn't get his sweet artwork much any longer.

As for a unified aesthetic, that's one thing I'm not so thrilled about. With the hodgepodge of artists and art directors that BT has had over the decades, it's really helped give the feel that you've had multiple in-universe design bureaus and mech design trends come and go. Everything looking the same, even good the same, is a bit dull. I'll take a bunch of crap-looking mechs if I can have variety in the good stuff.

HOnestly I think we've still got that variety. Iglesias did a good job of making them look like they were all from the same universe without making them all look too similar. The commando, panther, hunchback, and Marauder are all obvious from the same universe using the same technology, but they have very different aesthetics.

The problem that the game had basically from the beginning was that it was a bizarre mix of industrial and anime aesthetics. We can point to some things like the 3055 TRO era of artwork as being particularly goofy, but usually it's the poo poo that anime's the gently caress out of things that just makes it not click.

Like, look at this poo poo. These area ll IIC varients of things from the afore mentioned 3055 TRO:

The designs themselves aren't poo poo, the art direction is just garbage that looks like it wants to be the latest Gundam series. Unified art direction that has a consistent feel is what's making the new stuff look good, without making the designs too samey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Jenner IIC tryna be Miss Macross and poo poo.